Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
I'd rather Disney wrapped up the story in the 60s with Ford, then continued the saga with prequels set in the 20s and 30s with a younger actor.

The Tree of Life could reasonably be believed to alter one to a more youthful/changed appearance. It wouldn't be asking the audience to go with them too far on that journey if it was handled right. A tree's a tree - there's no changing that, but it doesn't always look the same over the years.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Pale Horse said:
You know what screenplay/McGuffin would be greatly enhanced by this technology? It would capture the sense of the character, keep both fanboys and cynics alike happy? Could provide a seamless transition into the new chapters of Indiana Jones?

THIS ONE.
I don't know If this will tie into the Tree Of Life CGI Indy/Harrison Idea you have but this is an official press release by Disney regarding Carrie Fisher being done CGI In Episode 9?,

Official Statement From Lucasfilm Regarding Future CGI Carrie Fisher
Posted by Dustin on January 13, 2017 at 06:34 PM CST
Lucasfilm has released the following statement at StarWars.com:

A STATEMENT REGARDING NEW RUMORS
JAN 13, 2017

We don't normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address. We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher's performance as Princess or General Leia Organa.

Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family. She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend. We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honor everything she gave to Star Wars.

Raiders90

I think using CGI + make up to slightly de-age Ford would be a good idea:

-It would mean that the film could realistically be set not long after KOTCS (say even as close as 1959 or 1960 on the head) without there being a big change in appearance

-It would make Indy taking part in action a little more realistic.

Harrison aged more visibly in the 7 years between Raiders and LC than he has since KOTCS, and audiences bought Raiders and LC being set only two years apart:
large_274_DSC_1752.jpg

working-girl-1988-harrison-ford-wkg-042-bkn6jn.jpg

There's no need to time jump from 1957 to 1968 just because 11 years will have passed between 2008 and 2019.

I want Harrison to lead this film. I don't want him to act as a mentor like he did in TFA or background character or only bookending some other actor's story. He needs to go out guns blazing as Indy with plenty of two fisted action, gun and whip play. He needs a grand finale.

At worst, they could get a younger guy whose physique resembles Ford's and digitally paste Harrison's face on and we could have action scenes on par with the original films.

We need to see the return of the antihero audiences fell in love with back in 1981. Not the nice guy superhero he became in LC and KOTCS.

If the film is set in 1959, Indy would only be 60 in universe. That's young enough for a man to still kick ass without it seeming unrealistic.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

Please don't apply CGI to the man's face. One of the most damaging decisions Spielberg made in Indy 4 was to sign off on a visual style that made the movie look like it was filmed inside a hard drive. Steps should be taken to restore some of the immediacy of the previous films, rather than add yet another layer of plastic.

Say what you will about the content of The Force Awakens - at least it looked like it was supposed to. And what do you know, Ford looked great in it without the BS filtration techniques. I'd rather see every subatomic particle of his face wrinkles than some hideous digital scrub. Radical thought: How about make the movie look like it was shot on film this time? This is supposed to be a throwback. Have some damned restraint and leave the digital intermediate chisels in the drawer where they belong.

Last edited:

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
I think using CGI + make up to slightly de-age Ford would be a good idea
I don't believe for a second that Harry would accept any degree of digital de-ageing, large or small - there's the rub.

Let's face it: the "grand finale worthy of the greatest action hero" ship sailed in the late 90s.

I personally pin my hopes for Indy 5 on a Godfather II-like story (concurrent prequel and sequel), but fear we'll get something like KOTCS, or worse.

DirkPitt

I wonder what will be the Macguffin in fifth part. To be more exact - to what civilization/religion it will be related.

I mean we had: the Old Testament's Ark, Hindu Shankara Stones, Christian Grail, South American/new age Crystal Skull.

Maybe it is time for some Greek mythology - Atlantis would be perfect, but it was already used. On the other hand in case of Star Wars, Disney has showed us, that canon and previous Expanded Universe stories means nothing.
But, if not Greek, then perhaps some Arabic artefact. Or Nordic...
For me, the perfect Macguffin was The Holy Grail and nothing can top that. But we'll see...

Last edited:

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Ford has a big ego (look at the first reading of The Force Awakens, at the end all are claping hands except him) and he has achieved such a high status he would never share the role of Indy with anyone. We are going to get the same old recipe, the question is will they go for the much-seen family context like Crusade/Kingdom or completely new ground like Temple.

JasonMa

DirkPitt said:
I wonder what will be the Macguffin in fifth part. To be more exact - to what civilization/religion it will be related.

I mean we had: the Old Testament's Ark, Hindu Shankara Stones, Christian Grail, South American/new age Crystal Skull.

Maybe it is time for some Greek mythology - Atlantis would be perfect, but it was already used. On the other hand in case of Star Wars, Disney has showed us, that canon and previous Expanded Universe stories means nothing.
But, if not Greek, then perhaps some Arabic artefact. Or Nordic...
For me, the perfect Macguffin was The Holy Grail and nothing can top that. But we'll see...
I always thought the Roman Altar of Victory would be a good choice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altar_of_Victory

Z dweller

Sakis said:
Ford ... would never share the role of Indy with anyone.
I wouldn't be so sure.

All through his career, Ford has emphasized the importance of characters and scenes serving the story.
He gladly accepted a relatively small part in Blade Runner 2049, because he thought the script was the best he ever read.

If Koepp and Spielberg came up with a great story involving flashbacks to the 20s or early 30s and Ford liked the script, I believe he would be fully prepared to give up some screen time in favor of a younger actor.

Sakis said:
We are going to get the same old recipe, the question is will they go for the much-seen family context like Crusade/Kingdom or completely new ground like Temple.
Not another family outing, please.
That would be the absolute worst choice, in my opinion. (n)

Walecs

Sakis said:
Ford has a big ego (look at the first reading of The Force Awakens, at the end all are claping hands except him) and he has achieved such a high status he would never share the role of Indy with anyone. We are going to get the same old recipe, the question is will they go for the much-seen family context like Crusade/Kingdom or completely new ground like Temple.

Probably because he was the only one who realised that TFA sucked...

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
I wouldn't be so sure.

All through his career, Ford has emphasized the importance of characters and scenes serving the story.
He gladly accepted a relatively small part in Blade Runner 2049, because he thought the script was the best he ever read.

If Koepp and Spielberg came up with a great story involving flashbacks to the 20s or early 30s and Ford liked the script, I believe he would be fully prepared to give up some screen time in favor of a younger actor.

Yeah but also consider: Han Solo and Deckard weren't his favorite roles. From all I've heard, Indy is. I think Indy's the one part he actually enjoys playing. Han Solo he had no use for and wanted dead back in 1983. I remember reading he didn't have much fun on Blade Runner. Indy's always been the role where he's not only had the most say so, but the most fun. I can't see him allowing himself to be reduced to a small role like that of TFA in an Indy film. I hope not anyway because it's not worth the price of admission if we're getting only like 20-30 minutes of screentime from Ford, which is mostly narration and the rest some guy we don't care about.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Walecs said:
Probably because he was the only one who realised that TFA sucked...

Out of courtesy he had to, at least to his fellow actor Mark Hamill for reading it.

Z dweller said:

And mine :(

Z dweller said:
I wouldn't be so sure.

Don't always believe what they say in order to promote a film. It's part of the marketing strategy and with this kind of statement they are aiming to draw attention. Everybody was excited for filming Kingdom but they never said that they fought over the aliens concept for a decade and hated.:D If Blade Runner is successful (I have confidence in Villeneuve) Ford will go home with a great percentage of the profits with the least amount of effort. Don't take me wrong because I love the guy and he has earned it with 40+ years of presence on celluloid, but business is business.

JasonMa

Udvarnoky said:
Interesting, but what's the supernatural angle?
I'm not sure there needs to be one but it shouldn't be hard to put a supernatural story around it. Generally the Romans felt that the removal of the altar was to blame for their military defeats at the time. What if it really was helping them in battle?

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
Yeah but also consider: Han Solo and Deckard weren't his favorite roles. From all I've heard, Indy is. I think Indy's the one part he actually enjoys playing.
Sure, but he didn't object to River Phoenix playing young Indy in Crusade, did he?
Raiders112390 said:
I can't see him allowing himself to be reduced to a small role like that of TFA in an Indy film.
When I refer to a possible Godfather II-like approach for Indy 5, I actually envisage Ford's being in at least 60-70% of the movie, with the rest devoted to flashback scenes with a younger actor.

At this stage, I'd be ok with that sort of balance - and for what it's worth I believe so would Harry, If he thought that the movie would actually benefit from this approach.

Sakis said:
Don't always believe what they say in order to promote a film.
I'm not that naive, don't worry. And I wasn't just referring to BR2.

Ford has said in countless interviews throughout the years that the story is his main concern, and I believe he does mean it.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Sure, but he didn't object to River Phoenix playing young Indy in Crusade, did he?

When I refer to a possible Godfather II-like approach for Indy 5, I actually envisage Ford's being in at least 60-70% of the movie, with the rest devoted to flashback scenes with a younger actor.

At this stage, I'd be ok with that sort of balance - and for what it's worth I believe so would Harry, If he thought that the movie would actually benefit from this approach.

I'm not that naive, don't worry. And I wasn't just referring to BR2.

Ford has said in countless interviews throughout the years that the story is his main concern, and I believe he does mean it.

If it's set up like that I can go along with it. Ford MUST have the majority of screentime, and must be treated with respect and not like an "old timer" like he was in KOTCS. His Indy must not be reduced to uplift the younger character. The Godfather II angle is a good analogy because both stories were interesting without taking away from each other. But then again, with GFII you had three hours to tell two stories. Indy films are what, 2 hours? That's where I fear it'll run into problems. I simply don't want him portrayed as a doddering old man like George Hall was in the YIJC, or spending most of the movie telling a 1920s tale to a young protege or something. The two stories have to connect in someway. But I feel like this has great potential to be a big mess.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
Ford MUST have the majority of screentime, and must be treated with respect and not like an "old timer" like he was in KOTCS.
But you said all along that you liked KOTCS?

Raiders112390 said:
But then again, with GFII you had three hours to tell two stories. Indy films are what, 2 hours?
If the screen time is 70% old Indy/30% young Indy or similar, then you can easily squeeze both stories in two hours, maybe a shade longer.

Raiders112390 said:
The two stories have to connect in someway
Easy. Connect them by macguffin, baddie(s) or both.

Raiders112390 said:
I feel like this has great potential to be a big mess.
Totally agree. Which is why I would be happier with a prequel starring a younger actor, and no Ford involvement at all.

But don't worry, we'll get there after Indy 5.

Dr.Sartorius

Ford MUST have the majority of screentime, and must be treated with respect and not like an "old timer" like he was in KOTCS.

He's going to be 76....They will acknowledge his age in some way. Trust me.

Udvarnoky

In October Koepp suggested that things were going well. I would expect some news on the state of the script sometime this year. We're still 18 months away from the likely filming date.

Status
Not open for further replies.