Filming Locations

MDew

Just thought I'd update with the latest discoveries....
First, check out the updated Google Map.
Of the many new discoveries, we have:
obannions.jpg

4159668040182.jpg

O'Bannion's Flower Shop/Princeton Hardware

And I've discovered what I have proclaimed "Young Indy Street" in Wilmington. (y) First, Indy's house in My First Adventure & Princeton 1919:
wilmingtonhouse.jpg

1432591760136.jpg

and right next door, his house from Spring Break Adventure:
wilmingtonhouse2.jpg

132370359437.jpg

Those and many more shots representing Princeton were all shot on the same block of 4th Street in Wilmington. It's about the only brick street in the area, which is what gave it away!

The reference pages are done (except one), which have proven to be an invaluable resource for this project. Check 'em out and go to work!

Stoo

FANTASTIC discoveries, MDew! I can't believe you found Indy's house!(y) The DVD version of "My First Adventure" added shots of another house on a corner street...wonder where that is? I hope you're still out there and reading this because I was in Barcelona last week and pinpointed a bunch of filming locations. Will prepare some photos and post them soon...

Places in "Barcelona" still to be determind are the alleyway at the beginning (re-used in another episode), the front & back exterior of the theatre, the governer's palace where the Count is picked up by the car, and the building where the Contessa is dropped off while Cunningham is on the telephone.

Stoo

Old Indy: "This reminds me of the time that I was a?spy in Spain during the First World War. I was stationed in the ancient seaport of Barcelona. You know, there?s that lovely boulevard that leads down to the harbour. Romantic cafés, y?know, hidden behind shady vines. A-mazing buildings by ma-a-ad Spanish architects. What a place for a young man?and what a place for a spy. I tell you, SPAIN in World War One was every spy?s dream??

My 2nd trip to Barcelona allowed me to discover several locations. Starting with these (easy to find on GoogleMaps, etc.)...

Arc de Triomf:

BarcelonaComparison_01_ArcTriomf.jpg

Park Güell (designed by Antoni Gaudi) was used in a couple of opening shots as well as during the linking segment where Indy meets with Marcello just before he goes off on the Prague adventure. More to follow...

BarcelonaComparison_02_GaudiPark.jpg

Sagrada Familia - the city's most famous building (designed by Gaudi). This cathedral has been under construction for over 100 years and is still not finished!:eek: The museum underneath has photos which document the progress and whoever did the research for "Young Indy" did a top-notch job! The stage shown in this episode is almost dead-on.(y)

BarcelonaComparison_03_SagradaFamil.jpg

Stay tuned for more...

MDew

Nice job Stoo, I'm jealous you got to go there - Barcelona looks like a beautiful city. I haven't given up on this project yet, just on a momentary hiatus. This must be the corner house you were talking about - and yes, I've looked everywhere on Google Maps & Bing for that dang thing! I don't think it's on the same street as the other houses, as it has a paved road in front, not brick like the others.

For the most part, I've found the intro shots of each episode easy to find locations since they're mostly shot at the most well-known attractions at the actual locales. The pattern seems to indicate that a 2nd unit likely got those shots, while Prague stood in for many of the different cities.

Anyway, it's glad to see some renewed interest in the project - the search continues! (y)

MDew

Back at the search again - 15 more locations added to the map & more coming...

The biggest new discovery is the location for both the Columbus border town & Mexican town in Spring Break Adventure. Turns out it is none other than Fort Bravo Cinema Studios in Spain - where hundreds of westerns have been shot since the 60's, including The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars, and Lawrence of Arabia. It is now a theme park/tourist attraction that still sees filming action.
3679100803_32f29ffaa9.jpg

Img_0012.jpg

Img_0006.jpg

Looks like a cool place to visit! (y)

MDew

A little teaser of recent developments, in case anybody's interested. To see the rest, go check out the site (the map is getting HUGE)!

Edison Labs:
edisonlabs.jpg

Northern Italy town:
italyplaza.jpg

Barcelona alley:
barcelonaalley.jpg

Barcelona/New York theater:
theaterx.jpg

Church square in Petrograd:
churchsquare.jpg

Targo's castle:
castle3.jpg

French Intel HQ:
intelhq.jpg

Indy & Eliot's dorm:
dormw.jpg

'Trenches' prison:
castle1s.jpg

castle2z.jpg

Villa's train:
trainf.jpg

Oxford street:
oxfordstreet.jpg

Barcelona theatre:
barcelonatheater.jpg

Archduke's castle:
viennacastle.jpg

The exciting discovery to me is that most of the locations I've found are accessible to the public (inside & outside), as most are museums or historical sites. I think a Young Indy-inspired Europe trip is in the future...(y)

T.E.Lawrence

MDew said:
I thought it would be cool to figure out where some of the existing real-world locations are from the show, that's something that's hard to find information on. I know much of the interiors were created on stages, so the main goal is the exterior locations (that aren't matte paintings). It's fairly easy to find a list of cities & countries they filmed in but how about some specific locales? Some are obvious (Great Wall of China, Pyramids in Egypt, duh..) but others will take some research. I've started taking a bunch of screens from the show for research purposes, which maybe I'll put up on a page for reference.
I started a Google Map that we can collaborate on as we find places. I've added a few to get the ball rolling:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...513618165275458.00047d608b79b4618a76a&t=h&z=3

MDew - what a fantastic idea, fantastic site and fantastic thread :)
The Alternative is Unthinkable :)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Shooting Schedule

From the Cinema of George Lucas, here's the shooting schedule.
SERIES I
MAY 13-31, 1991: Shepperton Studios, London, England
JUNE 2-17: London, England (London 1916)
JUNE 25-29: Oxford, England (London 1916)
JUNE 30- JULY 1: South Wales, England (China 1910)
JULY 1-6: Prague, Czechoslovakia (Spain 1917)
JULY 9-14: Egypt (Egypt MOW)
JULY 15-24: Barcelona, Spain (Spain 1917 and Mexico MOW)
JULY 27-30: Almeria, Spain (Egypt MOW)
JULY 31- AUGUST 14: Almeria (Mexico MOW)
AUGUST 20-SEPTEMBER 9: Tana River, Kenya, Africa (Congo 1917/BEA 1909/GEA 1916)
SEPTEMBER 12- OCTOBER 12: Nairobi, Africa (Congo 1917/BEA 1909/GEA 1916)
OCTOBER 21- NOVEMBER 7: Prague, Czechoslovakia (Verdun 1916)
NOTE: During all shoots in Prague, interiors were often shot at Barrandov Film Studios.
NOVEMBER 3-15: Shanghai & Beijing, China (China 1910)
NOVEMBER 11-DECEMBER 3: Wilmington, North Carolina-Bookends Studio Shoot
NOVEMBER 25, 1991-MARCH 20, 1992: Prague, Czechoslovakia (with interruptions, various Episodes)
JANUARY 25-26, 1992: Switzerland (Location shoot)
FEBRUARY 3-4: Stockholm, Sweden (Vienna 1908)
FEBRUARY 23-MARCH 12: Benares, India (India 1910)
MARCH 10: Germany (Somme 1916/Germany 1916)
MARCH 14: Vienna, Austria (Vienna 1908)
MARCH 15: Slovakia (Location shoot)
MARCH 18-19: Paris, France (Paris 1908 & 1916)
MARCH 21-22: St. Petersburg, Russia (Russia 1917)
MARCH 21-25: Prague Pick-ups for miscellaneous episodes
SERIES II
MAY 13- AUGUST 27, 1992: Carolco Studios, Wilmington, North Carolina (location and studio shoot for bookends, Princeton 1916, Chicago 1920, New York MOW)
SBTEMBER 1-23: Dublin, Ireland (Ireland 1916 and miscellaneous episodes)
SEPTEMBER 30- OCTOBER 22: Tre Cime/Tomo/Feltre/Sospirolo, Italy (Northern Italy 1918)
OCTOBER 25-29: Florence, Italy (Florence 1908)
OCTOBER 29-30: Pisa, Italy (Florence 1908)
NOVEMBER 4-DECEMBER 16: Taita Hills/Mambrui/Ngong Hills/Lukenya/Hopcraft Ranch, Kenya, Africa (BEA/GEA 1916)
DECEMBER 19-20: Jackson Hole, Wyoming (Harrison Ford Bookends for Chicago 1920)
JANUARY 5-FEBRUARY 3, 1993: Istanbul, Turkey (Istanbul 1918)
FEBRUARY 4-21: Cesme/Manisa,Turkey (Beersheba 1917)
February 22-April 21: Prague & Brno, Czechoslovakia (location shoot for Transylvania 1918/Germany 1916/Paris 1919/Prague 1917/miscellaneous episodes)
SERIES III
JANUARY 17-FEBRUARY 23, 1994: Ventura/Fillmore, California (Hollywood Follies)
MARCH 1-APRIL 3: Bangkok/Phuket Thailand (Treasure of the Peacock's Eye)
APRIL 20- JUNE 5: Prague, Czechoslovakia (Attack of the Hawkmen and Travels with Father)
JUNE 4-17: Meteora/Delphi/Athens, Greece (Travels with Fatter)
JUNE 11-DECEMBER 20: Marin County, California; Huntsville, Alabama; Portland, Oregon; Esparta, California (aircraft and miniature work for Attack of the Hawkmen)
JULY 28- AUGUST 10: Wilmington, North Carolina (Pickups/Connectors)
MAY 18- JUNE 4, 1995: London, England (Pick-ups/Connectors)
FEBRUARY 28-MAY 12, 1996: Morocco (Morocco/Tangiers connectors)
AUGUST 22, 1997: Tunisia, during location shoot for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (Pick-up for Egypt video movie)

MDew

Whoa! That's awesome, thanks for sharing Moedred! That's actually exactly what I've been looking for, it will really help narrow down where each episode was shot. I've just started back working on this again after a little hiatus so this will help out big time. I've also initiated contact with a few of the crew members, so hopefully that pans out. BTW, check out the site again if ya'll are interested - a lot more has been added. The Google Map is getting HUGE!

Stoo

This information is FANTASTIC not just for the locations but for the dates. (JuniorJones posted a scan of that page in the "Digital Versions" thread but it was low-res and the text was hard to read.)

Thanks, Moedred, for taking the time to type it out. Saved me much trouble!:hat:

@MDew: I was in Barcelona again this past spring and found some more specific spots. Also few months ago I was in Florence (& Pisa too), and found a couple of locations. Will let you know exactly where when I have more time. Happy Holidays to you!:)

MDew

Good deal Stoo, I could definitely use the help. Another interesting tidbit - it appears portions of Vienna & Paris 1908 were filmed in Stockholm...
Just got an email this morning from Robert Trebor, who played "Schwarz" in Scandal of 1920!

Stoo

MDew, you are nuts and I love it. Not sure how many other people care but your work is much appreciated by people like myself. You've gone above & beyond the call of duty and your efforts are commendable. So...the backlot location for the Chicago streets scenes in "Mystery of the Blues" has been permanently wiped from the face of the earth...:(

Fantastic discovery. Hats off to Mr. Mountain Dew!:hat:

Demitasse

Yeah! Wow, I second Stoo's comments. Seriously-- if there were post-graduate degrees available for YIJC, with all the hard research you guys put into this stuff- many of you would be on your second or third post-docs by now!! It would be great to compile all this stuff into a huge sourcebook someday. Wish I could make more of a contribution myself, but I really do appreciate all the hard work you fellas put into this stuff. :D

MDew

Thanks guys, it feels good to finally lay those locations to rest. I just crossed off a big chunk of the "wanted" list. Just too bad its not there anymore :(
I agree that a sourcebook would be a cool idea, I've been thinking of putting together Wilmington and Prague specific guides once I get further along. As for "Dr." Dew - I like the sound of that...