2001: A Space Odyssey

Indyologist

I'm sorry to disappoint anyone who are fans of this film, but I saw Space Odyssey: 2001 over the weekend and it was the strangest and most pointless film I've ever seen. The only part that I really enjoyed was the plot point about "Hal" the computer. The rest was some kind of drug-induced trip. All of the scenes that had to do with space were so s-l-o-w that I fast-forwarded through a lot of it, especially when any space vehicles were moving. They just downright CRAWLED.

And just what was the deal with with that big, black rectangular stone that stands upright? I get that it's an alien creation of some type, but what's the point? I mean, sheesh, the thing appears 3 times in the movie like it's an actor or something! The only thing I liked about the film was the cinematography-- THAT was pretty amazing. The rest was juicy razzberryville all the way.
Out of the whole Stanley Kubrick film collection that I borrowed from my cousin, this was the worst movie. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
It was pretty boring. Some parts were good though. I didn't understand the ending.

Indyologist

Yeah, I didn't get that, either. The guy drops his wine glass, then suddenly he's in bed, obviously dying. Then he turns into a baby inside a womb.

Freakin HUH????

Luckylighter

A person far wiser than I once said that pure art inspires more questions than it answers. It should provoke the viewer to start asking questions about the world around them. The reason it is considered wierd and pointless is the fact that as movie goers we are force fed endings that are completely wrapped up in a nice bow, and all the answers are given to us, without any effort on our part.

In interview after 2001 was released, Arthur C. Clark, who wrote the story with Kubrick said, "If someone can say they completely understand what 2001 is about, then we failed."

To say it is pointless is demeaning to the imaginations that cooked it up. There is a point, one that is quite beautiful actually. Although I don't think anyone could crack the overall meaning of this film, I think this link does a fairly decent job, and is the one that I (mostly) agree with:

http://www.leaderu.com/science/2001.html

I respect your opinion, Indyologist, it's just that I don't like to see an important work of art get dismissed because of a misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Indyologist

Finn said:

Hmm, sounds interesting. I'll have to rent it sometime.

On another note:

I see your point of view, Lucky, but when I watch a movie I like to walk away feeling "ahhh..." not "huh?" Although I'm sure some people got the point of the movie... probably while smoking pot while watching it.

Luckylighter

Indyologist said:
Although I'm sure some people got the point of the movie... probably while smoking pot while watching it.

Yeah, well...it doesn't hurt. ;)
I'm sure Kubrick was while he was making it.

You know, you are not alone with your views. The entire world sighed a collective, "Huh?" when it came out. The problem that most people have--and the reason it is considered boring--is that 2001 belongs to a visual storytelling style that expresses it's ideas mostly through visuals, and less through the dialogue. It's like poetry--it's visual poetry. I'm not saying appreciating 2001 is easy. It takes some work. And that is a turn off to people. I understand. I hated poetry in high school. But that is why 2001 is considered to be more art and less entertainment.

Luckylighter

I'm sorry if I came across as overly zealous about defending this movie, it's just that I just saw it on the big screen for the first time. Like most people from my generation, who grew up watching on television, seeing it in a theater was, in a word, amazing. It was an experience. And that was the whole point, that it be an experience, and not just mindless entertainment.

And really, what comes across as dull on TV, was breathtaking on the big screen.

So my advice is, if you have an opportunity, see it in a theater. See it from a different perspective other than a 19" TV set.

QueZTone

2001: a space oddysey is an awesome movie, definitly in my top 10 or so..

don't bash it if you don't understand it..because you clearly didn't understand it. Do some research on the film, there's plenty of theories on the net. Then watch it again. And enjoy it. If you need to rush through a movie because you really never had time to watch a movie in the first place then you certainly shouldn't watch 2001...