Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs

OhioJones

mccoy_interview_dinosaur_egg.jpg

When I was in fourth grade I began reading the Indy novels (my first being Hallow Earth, which is still my favorite because it is embedded in my mind as capturing the essence of Indy and I was really excited that I could also read about Indiana Jones) I collected them all, and obviously felt McCoy captured the feeling of Indiana Jones better than all the rest (by far!!). :gun:

I decided, after reading the back of the book, that this one would be stupid: so I never read it. Awfully narrow-minded for a young kid. :eek:

Anyway, I just remembered this a realized there was a potentially good Indy novel waiting to be read so I am now reading it! :D

What are your thoughts on this book? I will post mine when I finish. :whip:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, it's pretty good. I liked McCoy's and McGregor's books. Dinosaur Eggs is pretty interesting and along the lines of palentology rather than archaeology which makes it different to the rest of the Indy canon. I like the dog, Loki. Just that whole relationship between Indy and Loki being reminiscent of his childhood relationship with Indiana. Quite touching.

IndySeven

The name "Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs" sounds really unusual for the title of an Indy novel.:)

metalinvader

One of the first Indy books I've read.I remember it being a fun novel.
I'm currently re-reading the series and look forward to re-reading this one again!

kongisking

Where can I get these McCoy books? And I can't buy off the internet, so don't give me Amazon.com links or stuff like that. The best would be any libraries around the Ramsey County, Minnesota area (my home.) Thanks! :hat:

metalinvader

kongisking said:
Where can I get these McCoy books? And I can't buy off the internet, so don't give me Amazon.com links or stuff like that. The best would be any libraries around the Ramsey County, Minnesota area (my home.) Thanks! :hat:

Try used book stores,Comic stores,etc...

IndySeven

kongisking said:

Try thrift stores. I've gotten a lot of old Indy novels from there.:)

pastorgavin

Great book

I also feel that McCoy captured the feel of the movies pretty well with his books. I just recently read this (in the last couple weeks) and really enjoyed it.:)

I liked Indy's relationship with Loki and, for that matter, the relationship he had with the descendant of Genghis Kahn. You really get a good flavor of what scientific expeditions to the unknown must have been like in those days. Today we take for granted the GPS and ability to know where we are and where we are going, but to head out in a couple vehicles and know that if they break down you are in trouble is quite a scary prospect. :eek:

It was also great to see Wu Han and see how he first met Indy. You see why he was so faithful to Indy in Temple of Doom. (y)

Not only was the book great, but I also loved the cover, probably one of my favorites of the covers to the novels.

Peacock's-Eye

Dinosaur Eggs

Just finished the second Indy book by Max McCoy. Some of the same weaknesses as 'Philosopher's Stone', but many more strengths.

The supporting characters this time - Dr. & Joan Starbuck and the Quatermain-like Granger - were definitely more fully developed and better written, especially Granger. The story had more twists and turns, more interesting environments, better action, and put Indy in more danger. One big weakness: once again, Indy gets taken out of the action and rescued - this really flattens the climax and lessens Indy as a hero. I hope McCoy learned to put his hero in more danger and to make him more important to the climax by the time he wrote 'The Hollow Earth', next adventure in the series. However, if each book gets better, then I'm guessing I'm in for a fun Indy adventure.

I'm reading RotLA right now (really good, considering) - as soon as I'm finished I'm moving on to 'Hollow Earth' and 'Secret of the Sphinx', before tackling 'KotCS' (the novel). These have been fun, easy reading, bringing back memories of reading Fenimore Cooper, Kipling and Haggard as a kid. Obviously, this isn't on the same level, but I haven't read anything this fun & easy in many years.

So far, I give McCoy high marks.

UltimateManGod

This one is my favorite, mainly because it was the first Indy book I read, as well as being the only one I had for some time before I bought some more. And yes, Loki was pretty dang awesome. But all the McCoy books are good. Most of the MacGregor ones are too. Interior World was easily the weakest, in my opinion. I'm working on the Caidin ones right now. They're not as bad as I expected, but something about them just feels off.

The Drifter

Good review Peacock. I have read Seven Veils, and Genesis Deluge.
I need to start on Unicorn's Legacy, but have been slacking when it comes to reading here lately.

Peacock's-Eye

Loki rocked! The perfect 'pet' for Indy.
I also enjoyed the reference to Joseph Campbell, that was a nice touch, considering how much he inspired Lucas.

Forgot to rate this one:
I give it 4 out of 5 Indys!

:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

Dr. Indy Jones

Man, why did I read this topic. lol I just started reading this book. I'm at the part where Indy is getting Wu Hun's Family ashes back. But I'm not going to read any more of this topic till I read the whole book. ;)

Blue Jay

i am half way through (ca. 180 pages or something).

i really like this book. it is a great read! the characters, the locations, and the reference to ToDs characters are great.

Joan is developing really well. i love the showering scene in the desert :p

so far i have read:

the secret of the sphinx

the hollow earth

dance of the giants

i loved them all.

i started:

unicorns legacy and sky pirates.

i am not that much of a reading guy because i always get sleepy after a few pages. But the books i have read are really great and kept my interest up,
which the books i started did not really, although they are not really bad, but not as good.

Dinsaur eggs comes in second after dance of the giants.

I like the mccoy books the most. they have the best indy feel to them.
the macgregor books are good too, but on the average not as good as mccoys.

LawgSkrak

Wu Han is in this book?

Does his appearance mess up any continuity with his appearance in the Emperor's Tomb video game?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
LawgSkrak said:
Wu Han is in this book?

Does his appearance mess up any continuity with his appearance in the Emperor's Tomb video game?

The other way around, really - everything would be ok if they didn't make it as if Wu Han and Indy were first meeting in Emperor's Tomb. That's, obviously, a contradiction of Temple of Doom more than it is of Dinosaur Eggs.

Flannery10

I really like McCoy's books and Dinosaur Eggs is indeed very well done. The plot is quite interesting and so are the characters. Wu Han has a bigger role than in Temple of Doom, and we find out a lot about him.

Granger, a very interesting character, was actually a historical person and you can read about him on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_W._Granger. But my McCoy favorite was Philosopher's Stone, even though all of his books are great.

MattJones

Attila the Professor said:
The other way around, really - everything would be ok if they didn't make it as if Wu Han and Indy were first meeting in Emperor's Tomb. That's, obviously, a contradiction of Temple of Doom more than it is of Dinosaur Eggs.

Exactly...

"Following you on many adventures" doesn't mean driving you around China a couple months prior to this scene. Emperor's Tomb is a fun game, but it isn't quite up to canon levels...

UltimateManGod

MattJones said:
Exactly...

"Following you on many adventures" doesn't mean driving you around China a couple months prior to this scene. Emperor's Tomb is a fun game, but it isn't quite up to canon levels...

"Wait, why am I going back into this tomb? I was already here a year ago, and the emperor's head fell off."

Definitely not quite up the canon. He's already been there in Secret of the Sphinx. Heck, not even Lucasfilm has figured out how these two work out yet.
http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=261663&start=15
And the Emperor's tomb... was Emperor Qin's Heart of the Dragon carrying head found in 1934 by architects who put it back on the body, placed it inside a magic vortex, redesigned the layout and then took that jewel encrusted map of the world as payment for Indy to re-open it in 1935?
Yet to be resolved.