Can you imagine a special edition version of Raiders?

Skywalker82

Remember the episode of South Park "Free Hat" (My favorite one) and what if that actually came true if Lucas and Spielberg made an altered cut with never before seen footage and all that?

Kooshmeister

As long as it doesn't supplant the original like the Star Wars Special Editions did, and was merely released as a kind of alternate director's cut, and the original continued being available. Then sure.

Kooshmeister

Yes. But in that, Lucas and Spielberg made idiotic additions and added new scenes made after the fact instead of simply reinserting deleted scenes and cleaning up special effects. I'd support the latter, but not the former. :whip:

My issue with how Lucas is/was handling things with the Star Wars films is he insisted on making the altered versions the only ones commercially available, supplanting the originals. Where Indiana Jones is concerned, as long as the original films were continually made available alongside/in addition to such director's cuts, I see no problem.

Last edited:

Stoo

Skywalker82 said:
Remember the episode of South Park "Free Hat" (My favorite one) and what if that actually came true...
Yes, I remember it and wouldn't want to see Indy being chased by Ewoks.:p But I would LOVE to see a special edition of "Raiders"! (There are actually *5* versions of it already.)

Welcome to The Raven, Skywalker82.
In case you haven't seen them, these threads may interest you:
Special Edition Truck Chase?
Deleted Scenes
Kooshmeister said:
As long as it doesn't supplant the original like the Star Wars Special Editions did, and was merely released as a kind of alternate director's cut, and the original continued being available. Then sure.
Same here. Heck, 3 different cuts of "Close Encounters" are available so I doubt that Spielberg would agree to have the original wiped from existence.

Montana Smith

Skywalker82 said:
Remember the episode of South Park "Free Hat" (My favorite one) and what if that actually came true if Lucas and Spielberg made an altered cut with never before seen footage and all that?

It's not safe letting Lucas near his old movies.

A 'Special Edition' on his terms would mean having Cairo populated with CG animals and the Swordsman shooting first. All the German soldiers would be cyborgs so Indy couldn't be accused of setting a bad example for the kiddiwinks.

And if by "hat" we imply helmet, there is already one 'special' Indiana Jones film. :p

3590270918_cf01f89ec8.jpg

Skywalker82

And the word Nazi might be changed to "Persons with political differences", lol.

I'm glad Spielberg saw that episode as he loved it and he considers it the best video fan letter he has seen. I'm glad Spielberg wasn't stupid enough to do such a thing and he's smarter than Lucas as he released the unaltered ET on blu-ray which is a smart choice especially restoring it to quality picture while Lucas was still in love with the special edition version of Star Wars trilogy.

Montana Smith

Skywalker82 said:
And the word Nazi might be changed to "Persons with political differences", lol.

Nah, Nazis will always be "Nazis" in Hollywood, just because they're in a German uniform.

The political correctness comes when you get a genuine Nazi (*cough* Vogel *cough*) and the toys get censored in case they offend.

A Special Edition of Raiders might replace all the swastikas with something historically neutral:

red-skulls.jpg

:p

Stoo

Kooshmeister said:
In terms of a Raiders director's cut, I'd just want re-added scenes and basically nothing more - so none of the "CGI Nazi car" malarky which thankfully hasn't found its way onto any DVD or Blu-Ray versions yet.

...has it? :eek:
No, it hasn't. Anyway, I agree with you, Koosh.

On a related note, some newcomers to The Raven may be interested in Indy's brother's thread from 2011:
If Lucas HAD to tinker with the 4 films, what should he do?
Skywalker82 said:
I'm glad Spielberg wasn't stupid enough to do such a thing...
Well, there is no DVD nor Blu-ray of the original "Raiders" print. They have both been modified.

Were you around in 1980 when the Special Edition of "Close Encounters" came out? Spielberg cut out 10 minutes of stuff. Even with the new footage, the special edition is actually shorter than the original.

A hypothetical special edition of "Raiders" could possibly have some bits missing.

The thing is, though, with "Close Encounters", "Star Wars" and "E.T.", special editions were made because Spielberg and Lucas weren't satisfied with the film as they were released. In the cases of the first 2, they wanted to keep working on them but the studios wouldn't allow it.

With "Raiders", Steve & George are both probably satisfied with the film as it is. It was delivered on schedule and I've never heard either of them complain about parts they're unhappy about so and I can't picture them ever wanting to fix it. (The only apparent problem with it has already been fixed: the snake reflection.)

Montana Smith said:
Nah, Nazis will always be "Nazis" in Hollywood, just because they're in a German uniform.

The political correctness comes when you get a genuine Nazi (*cough* Vogel *cough*) and the toys get censored in case they offend.

A Special Edition of Raiders might replace all the swastikas with something historically neutral:

red-skulls.jpg

:p
It may be historically neutral, but contemporarily evil:
bawnccdceaeekoi.jpg