What sort of ending should Indy IV have?

intergamer

Renderking Fisk said:
intergamer:

I hope you're wrong (in a friendly way). I hope they allude to Jones having countless adventures and let OUR imagination fill in the gaps.

Let us do some of the work, too.

yeah..I think the movie should END in such a way that our imagination can fill in the gaps of countless adventures to come. But we have been talking about the ending of LC, and how 4 may seem like an afterthought: in that context, it might make more sense if 4 begins like I previously described.

I am all in favor having 4 be an "episode", one of many adventures, as I have said before.

Of course, Last Crusade was always meant to refer to the "Last Crusade" for the grail, relating to the Crusades of Arthur and the knights of the round table for the Grail cup.

It didn't mean, 'This is the "Last Crusade" of Indiana Jones'...

Randy_Flagg

thegreatimposter said:
Of course, Last Crusade was always meant to refer to the "Last Crusade" for the grail, relating to the Crusades of Arthur and the knights of the round table for the Grail cup.

It didn't mean, 'This is the "Last Crusade" of Indiana Jones'...

Are you sure about that? I mean, yes, your explanation of the title is the main one, but to me there was clearly a double meaning. Maybe not that it would be Indy's last adventure, but it did seem to indicate the last film. From what I heard, Spielberg/Lucas planned on just three Indy movies from the outset, so it would make sense for the word "last" in the third movie's title to indicate a bit more than the obvious meaning. I mean, after they finished "Last Crusade" didn't they even go so far as to donate Indy's apparel to the Smithsonian? Not something they'd do if they had serious plans for a fourth film. Of course, maybe it was all just a big coincidence, but I doubt it... I'd think some serious thought goes into naming a movie of Indy's caliber.

Randy_Flagg

Maybe I was reading too deeply into it. It just seemed like such an appropriate title for what was thought to be the last Indy movie (kind of a play on words, you know?)

Indycrusader

Yeah, I always thought it meant the last Indiana Jones adventure. I mean, maybe it wasn't supposed to, but it could be taken that way easily.

LASTCRUSADER

Before I had seen LC I thought that the title did imply a final chapter to the Jones films. I quickly changed my mind after viewing the movie for the first time. I think that Lucas and Speilburg may have used the title "Last Crusade" in order to have an appropriate name for both the story and a possible final chapter in the films but at the same time leaving room for the possibility of another film. I'm sure other people feel the same way.

Webley

Renderking Fisk said:
Indycrusader said:
Yeah, I always thought it meant the last Indiana Jones adventure. I mean, maybe it wasn't supposed to, but it could be taken that way easily.

In my ideal world... where everyone dresses like it's still 1945 and cars have that futuristic retro look and Jazz and Big-Band-Swing is in the Top 40, Norah Jones is a bigger superstar then Britney Spears...

There should have been 3 or 4 more movies in the Jones Saga.
Amen brother Fisk

At the risk of going OT, maybe we should start a new thread about a possible new name for 'Last Crusade'. Something that doesn't stir up confusion. Now that Indy 4 is coming out, LC is definately not INDYS Last anything. So what would be a possible new title?

Indiana Jones and the Cup of Christ?? Nah, too stupid.

Randy_Flagg

LASTCRUSADER said:

I think that Lucas and Speilburg may have used the title "Last Crusade" in order to have an appropriate name for both the story and a possible final chapter in the films but at the same time leaving room for the possibility of another film. I'm sure other people feel the same way.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I saw it. It didn't, by any means, make a sequel impossible, but it worked in the likely event that Last Crusade was the last Indy film (and considering how long they let the series sleep, it seems their intent was to end it there. Not to mention HOW the movie ended. To me, that ride off into the sunset looked very much like an ENDING.)

Randy_Flagg

Renderking Fisk said:

There should have been 3 or 4 more movies in the Jones Saga.

In theory, that sounds great. But realistically, I think we all know the quality would suffer. Look how we're struggling to think of a half-way decent plot for Indy 4! Jeez... we've resorted to aliens and fallen angels, so what does THAT tell you? (hehe.) In all seriousness, I'd rather have three excellent films (possibly four) than seven or eight films, half of which do nothing more than taint the series with their mediocrity.

Randy_Flagg

Renderking Fisk said:
Hey, In my perfect world they could only get better, Randy.

As for that comment - No rants for you! ONE YEAR!

Me? Rant? Never! I'm just a bored guy at work who kills time by talking to strangers on an Indy forum. (damn that sounds so pathetic.)

bob

thegreatimposter said:
At the risk of going OT, maybe we should start a new thread about a possible new name for 'Last Crusade'. Something that doesn't stir up confusion. Now that Indy 4 is coming out, LC is definately not INDYS Last anything. So what would be a possible new title?

I really dont understand....

The Last Crusade is not so much about Indy's last adventure but the physical last Crusade to recover the holy grail

Randy_Flagg

bob said:
thegreatimposter said:

I really dont understand....

The Last Crusade is not so much about Indy's last adventure but the physical last Crusade to recover the holy grail

I guess you didn't read the other posts.
Some of us feel "Last Crusade" was a play on words, that it had a double meaning. Yes, it referred to the last crusade for the grail, but since the film was originally thought to be the last Indy installment, I (and a few others) believe that Lucas was also referring to Indy in the title. From the outset, they said they wanted to make three films. Then the movie ends with them riding off into the sunset (classic final scene), and shortly after filming, Indy's hat and whip are donated to the Smithsonian. So I find it hard to believe that "Last" in the title ONLY referred to the crusade. But as I said before, maybe I'm just reading into things too deeply.

Personally I didn't find Last Crusade to be so well thought out as to have so much symbolism. Out of all the movies, LC seems the most 'slapped together', even the great tank scene was improvised on the fly...

So do you REALLY think the ride off into the sunset and the 'Last Crusade' title were all orchestrated to symbolise a final goodbye?

I have to admit that find it all hard to believe. I think Jeffrey Boams script simply was referring to the Crusades. Knights, secret societies, Franciscan Friars diaries, old churches and hidden tombs are all related to the Mythos of the Crusades. Hence the Last Crusade -- Indy actually finds it!

Randy_Flagg

There's only one way to settle this. There's a guy named Supershadow who claims to be good friends with Lucas... nah....

(if you're not a die-hard, websurfind Star Wars fan, that joke probably went straight over head, so just laugh politely and pretend it made sense. Thanks.)

Ska

Frankly, they could have Indy dress up in the San Diego Chicken mascot outfit and have him do the electric slide. I would still go see and love the movie! It could be the worst ending ever, but because of my obsession with the series, I could only see it as the greatest possible ending. As Canyon has said, all you can do is TRUST the people in charge of making us happy.

Sab

Randy_Flagg said:
There's only one way to settle this. There's a guy named Supershadow who claims to be good friends with Lucas... nah....

(if you're not a die-hard, websurfind Star Wars fan, that joke probably went straight over head, so just laugh politely and pretend it made sense. Thanks.)

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! :D :D :D

*ahem* Was that satisfactory? :p

Anyway, I have no idea what kind of ending Indy IV should have. However, I do have a few specific opinions.

I thought Last Crusade had a perfect ending. I don't know how they would top it, but I know they've said that they know if they're making one more, it's gotta be the best one of the series. They're going to make it the best they can make it, or it's not being made. They'll figure out something.

Also, I don't think it should have a real dark ending--Indy dying or anything like that. It was already tried in the "Monkey King" script. I was not a big fan of what I saw in the script treatment. I know they're supposed to be throwbacks to the old B-serials, but it seemed to take that a little too far. Anyway, back on topic. I believe it should end in a way that leaves everything open, with a bit of closure, if you understand what I mean. It should be an ending. It is (as far as we know), after all, the last of the series. It should wrap things up. But (as has been said in different words) just because we are finishing the seen adventures of Indiana Jones, does not mean he has no more adventures.

I hope that made sense.

P.S. The more I read Ren's (is it okay if I call you Ren?) posts, the more I like his perfect world.