New pics of Ford in Indy outfit (hat and jacket)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Lamb and 4 horses

Does anyone else see this picture as a warning of things to come, or am I the only one here that thinks the grail cup may be going dry.

OR

Is this the same fab 5 that is refered to in another thread within this board?

Tequileros

ElsaFan said:

The ?mysterious lady? on the right of the picture is the Q&A panel moderator. And for those who are not yet accustomed to the other faces: From L to R, Alison Doody, Kate Capshaw, Harrison Ford and Karen Allen.

Hope this helps.

This sure helps! Thanks.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I think it seems contrived. It makes me pained for the next two years.

Even though age is inevitable, and even celebrated, the picture smacks of a return to youth, a failed attempt to appeal to a certain timelessness that can only remain in memory and narrative. It is a fitting example for us all to apply the phrase Carpe diem, for though youth may be fleeting, it should never be revisited.

I don't want a museum of the past, I want a medium of the future.

FordFan

*Strikes temple of john down*

"Now that's for blasphemy!"

Your comment didn't really offend me John. I disagree with you, but I always wanted to say that hahaha.

Indyologist

Harrison still looks great and I'm still drooling (even though the jerk is dating someone MY age. Why didn't he call ME if he was having a mid-life crisis, for crying out loud?!)

Randy_Flagg

I think they made the right amount of films. They quit before Indy "jumped the shark," and that's the best time to do it. Sure, they probably could have churned out a few more films, but the problem with Indy movies is that they pretty much need to follow a formula ("keep powerful artifact from bad guys"), and there are only so many times you can reuse a formula before the whole thing becomes a parody of itself. As for Indy4... well, at least there was a long break since the last one. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see what they do and how well they recapture the magic.

FordFan

No, three was a perfect amount. And four should end it quite nicely.

I mean sure, it would have been nice if there had been seven films, but if they all had Nazis for villains, they wouldn't be as original.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Renderking Fisk said:
There were so many things Jones could have done in World War II... there are stories about how Archeologists and other scientists were recruited by the Intelligence Community and did spy work while on digs. There could have been a flick about Jones trying to readjust after the war, Jones finding former Nazi?s in South America? the list goes on.

You could also have endings like The Treasure of the Sierra Madre where the treasure is ?Taken back? by nature, or the artifact turns out to be a dud.

The first flicks didn?t take too long to make and they would have shortened up the time even further as time went on. Two months filming wouldn?t be so bad? And there?s countless things they could have done? and SHOULD have done. By now, they should have been ready to wrap the series and give it a fitting end.
Right on! This is would have been the perfect way to do six or so movies without repeating itself. I mean the Nazi's aren't the villians in all the novels why would we have needed them as the villians in all the movies? I think the model of the novels could be used as a model for the films that could have been.

Randy_Flagg

Aaron H said:
Right on! This is would have been the perfect way to do six or so movies without repeating itself. I mean the Nazi's aren't the villians in all the novels why would we have needed them as the villians in all the movies? I think the model of the novels could be used as a model for the films that could have been. [/B]

Um, have you read the novels? I really don't think you want them serving as a model for Indy movies, unless you want the franchise to die entirely (read "Indiana Jones and The White Witch" if you doubt me.)

It's true, though, that the villain wouldn't have to be Nazis. That's what I was trying to get at in another post-- Indy doesn't need to face off against a political party, and that's why communists shouldn't necessarily be the villains in Indy4. But I still think 3 movies are the right amount. I mean, the first Nightmare On Elm Street was good, and so was the third, and so was Wes Craven's New Nightmare. If those had been the only three movies in that franchise, the series would be a lot more respected. The problem is, they felt the need to churn them out ad nauseum, and the quality suffered as a result and, as I mentioned before, it became a parody of itself. As they say, sometimes less is more.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I never said the novels should be movies...in fact some of the novels I disreguard as Indy's adventures because they are so bad. I am saying that they should be used as a model.

Picture

I can't believe that people are criticising the new pic of Harrison & suggesting he won't be able 2 pull it off.

That was an impromptu appearance without any makeup whatsoever & he only had on the the hat & the jacket! Add a bit of make up, the shirt, the bag, the whip, the gun, the khaki pants, the tattered brown shoes, a varirty of exotic locations..... & Indiana Jones wil be back!!!

FordFan

In my opinion, the only true Indiana Jones representations are the movies. Not the books and not the Young Indy series. Does anyone agree with me?

I mean I can understand how you'd expand the Indy universe to appeal to people, but for me it's just the three movies. And soon to be fourth movie.

Randy_Flagg

FordFan said:
In my opinion, the only true Indiana Jones representations are the movies. Not the books and not the Young Indy series. Does anyone agree with me?

I mean I can understand how you'd expand the Indy universe to appeal to people, but for me it's just the three movies. And soon to be fourth movie.

Absolutely. Young Indy is NOT Indy to me. Totally different character. The books get the character a bit closer, and at least the types of things he's doing is somewhat similar to the films (well, most of the time), but I still don't consider canon. Uh oh, this is starting to sound like a Star Wars forum. Next we'll be referring to the books as "Expanded Universe."

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Not quite, I already refer to the books, non-movie comics, and games as the "Expanded Adventures".

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I knew I recognized her!

The woman on the far right in the picture is Jean Picker Firstenberg, CEO of the American Film Institute. Now we know.

"Yes, now we know."

VP

Moderator Emeritus
dvd_press_junket2.jpg

What do you think?