Uncharted: The Games

The Drifter

Le Saboteur said:
Pardon me for being blunt, but Atlantis is just about the worst concept for an action-adventure game/movie/whatever ever. Too many people mention it because they're unable or unwilling to spend five minutes thinking outside of conventional knowledge. Same goes for Excalibur. Fortunately for us, Amy Hennig & Co. have (thus far) stayed very far away from conventional Macguffins, and we're all the better for it.

I agree with you. When I read the rumors; I was a little let down. But, like I said; they were just rumors.
But, I am very curious as to what the MacGuffin will be.

It's definitely possible. Few things are as big as Uncharted, and those franchises have already been well represented over the past year of so. Could it be something else? I suppose Rockstar and Sony could finally be announcing Agent, but we'll see. There's some speculation that it could be the reinvention of Warhawk. Could be the third Resistance game too.

If I'm not mistaken, Uncharted 2 was announced at the 2008 VGAs. I hope that it is Uncharted 3 that is announced this year. It's my most wanted game coming out and I can't wait to even see a small trailer.

Finn said:
Or it's just the wrong board for what I supposedly was aiming for. Which means I'm proud of you guys.
I guess I was the only sucker to fall for it, eh? You're not proud of me also, Finn? :p

The Drifter

Kotaku said:
After exploring the South American jungles of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and the Himalayas in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, where will half-tucked treasure hunter Nathan Drake find himself next? According to an informed source, Drake's going to the desert.

The same source that says an Uncharted 3 reveal is due on or around the Spike TV Video Game Awards indicates that the next game in Naughty Dog's PlayStation 3 adventure series will trade Nepalese snow for sun and sand. The deserts of Africa have been a frequently theorized and requested setting for the third Uncharted game?one that would put Drake on a path already traveled by Indiana Jones.

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy traveled from the jungles of South America to the snowy mountains of Nepal to the Egyptian desert. Coincidence? Crazed theory? We'll find out where Uncharted 3 will take Drake soon enough, if this rumor is right.

Sony has something to unveil in Hollywood on December 12, so we'll hopefully know something more official about Nathan Drake's future before too long.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5701728/rumor-is-uncharted-3-going-to-the-desert

Le Saboteur

Ska said:
I posted the link/article on 11/12 in the Uncharted fillm thread. There hasn't been a post in that thread since! :p

Oh, I saw it. I should've responded, but I haven't been keeping up with my web browsing. Too many other things going on at the moment.

Lonsome_Drifter said:

Yeah, I saw that. Thanks for posting it here, Lonsome! It's starting to sound like what I've been saying about not-immediately repeating locales is starting to hold up. Fingers crossed.

Gamespot has a bit more analysis here.

Hopefully Elena is out of the picture this go round. I wouldn't mind seeing Chloe again; she has a lot of potential.

michael

'Uncharted' exclusive: Your first look at 2011's must-play videogame 'Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception'

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/12/09/uncharted-3-first-look/

Uncharted-3-game-art_290.jpg

uncharted-3-desert_510.jpg

uncharted-3-village-art_510.jpg

Holy sh*t! Yes!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Jeff Jensen said:
According to Naughty Dog’s creative director Amy Hennig, the theme of deception plays out in multiple ways throughout the threequel, from Drake doing the deceiving to Drake being deceived to some mysterious deception about Drake’s very identity. The story focuses on the hero’s relationship with his mentor and father figure, fan fave Victor “Sully” Sullivan, and has him searching for a legendary lost city that will ultimately take him to the Arabian Peninsula and the vast wasteland of the Rub’ al Khali Desert, also known as the Empty Quarter.(Said legendary lost city has been known by various names, including “Iram of the Pillars” and the “Atlantis of the Sands”; click the link for more backstory.)

Uncharted likes to keep one foot (or at least a toe) grounded in history (Nathan’s ancestor is the British pirate, explorer and Navy officer Sir Francis Drake) and the plot of Uncharted 3 draws more from Drake’s exploits as well as from the life of T.E. Lawrence — not from his militant days as the fabled “Lawrence of Arabia,” but rather the Brit’s early years as an archaeologist. The inspiration for the story, says Hennig, came from Naughty Dog’s desire to take on the challenge of conceiving and building out gameplay scenarios within a desert locale — “challenge,” because organic elements like water, fire and sand are technically difficult to credibly render with animation. Says Hennig: “When we first came up with the idea of sand, you see everyone’s eyes light up here and go, ‘Yeah, that’s going to be really hard — let’s do it!’” Adds Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells: “We’re a bunch of nerds. We just look for something that will be a technical, artistic challenge, and allowed us to push into an area of the world and history we’ve never tapped into before.”

And T.E. Lawrence...well, the film certainly seems to have inspired that vista there. I was expecting Richard Burton, to be honest. But this is exciting all the way around.

Ska

Similar article from ign.com, with the addition of a mention of new features...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1139326p1.html

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Unveiled
Drake heads to the desert as Naughty Dog's game is revealed.
UK, December 9, 2010 December 9, 2010 December 9, 2010
by Martin Robinson

Sony has unveiled a new Uncharted ahead of its big reveal at this weekend's VGA Awards, with first details confirming that Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception takes the wise-cracking hero to the deserts of the Arabian Peninsula.

Although the official reveal won't be coming until Saturday night's awards ceremony, Entertainment Weekly has gone live with its first impressions of the game, again developed by Naughty Dog.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is said to focus on the relationship between Sully and Drake as the pair search for a lost city in the Arabian Peninsula and across the Rub' al Khali Desert. T.E Lawrence is said to be an inspiration for the story and setting.

"When we first came up with the idea of sand, you see everyone's eyes light up here and go, 'Yeah, that's going to be really hard — let's do it!'" said the game's creative director Ann Henning.

"We're a bunch of nerds. We just look for something that will be a technical, artistic challenge, and allowed us to push into an area of the world and history we've never tapped into before," added Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception's new features include the ability to fight hand-to-hand with multiple enemies as well as 'enhanced backward climbing' – though quite how that pans out remains to be seen.

While no specifics were given, much attention is being paid to Uncharted 3's online and co-op features, which is said to bring over some of the cinematic elements of the single-player game.

Like recent PlayStation 3 exclusives Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception will also support stereoscopic 3D.

A teaser trailer accompanying the reveal shows the new desert setting. "All men dream," says the Nolan North-voiced Nathan Drake, "but not equally".

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves proved to be one of the PlayStation 3's greatest games, earning IGN's Game of the Year in 2009.

(FYI, the teaser trailer mentioned above was not present on the site.)

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
I was expecting Richard Burton, to be honest. But this is exciting all the way around.

One of the guiding philosophies of Uncharted has been to take an explorer you had "heard about in fifth grade, but didn't really know much about." Francis Drake, Marco Polo, and T.E. Lawrence fit this profile. Burton does not.

You and I know about Sir Richard Francis Burton. To the general public though, he's about as common as Ibn Battuta. We may see Burton in a far off episode, but not likely until the more celebrated explorers are gone through. For example, had they chosen to feature sub-Saharan Africa, I would've expected to see Henry Morton Stanley and Dr. Livingstone, not Pierre Savorgnan de Brazza.

We can continue to hope in the meantime.

The Drifter

Here's a VERY short .gif that's been leaked out. Shows a small smidgen of gameplay.
zomguncharted38gl1.gif

And, here's a sneak-peak of gameplay footage that will be shown on Jimmy Fallon Live.

What Truck?

Last Crusade vibe?

Anyone else getting a serious Last Crusade vibe from that Fallon demo?

We have Drake and father figure Victor Sullivan escaping a burning castle...hmmm. This game is looking better and better: really digging that T.E. Lawrence reference; began reading the 7 Pillars of Wisdom not two weeks ago, and then this trailer drops out of nowhere with an awesome new adventure set in the footsteps of the famed Lawrence of Arabia.

I honestly thought Atlantis was going to be the setting for U3 - what with Naughty Dog's obsession with rendering volumetric water and particle effects; looks like I was right...sort of. :D

The "Atlantis of the Sands" will have to do. :gun:

JayDee

If someone is interested in re-making the props which was seen in the teaser trailer lying on the table, I started a thread over at the RPF:

Uncharted 3 Props/

Just print the pictures out on photo paper and buy the book on Ebay (as I just did ^^).

Morning Bell

This is all so exciting and I'm already pumped for this game. I love the desert idea and I'm curious to see how they'll use that environment to enhance the gameplay.:)

Ska

I'm assuming there will be a part 3-3 eventually?

Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing Drifter!