The Dark Knight

Doc Savage

temple of john said:
Have you followed the series since you were young or is it a recent thing?
Batman was a bastion of my childhood. as sad as some may think that. I actually felt more kinship with the Joker in my teens. He and Batman are effectively two sides of one coin; two madmen coping with mind-shearing trauma in two polar directions.
temple of john said:
Rae may be very interested in hearing more about the stories if your interested in sharing. She's a bigger fan of comics than I am. I think her favorite comic writer is a guy named Neil Gaimon (if you have ever heard of him).
I like Gaiman...ask her if she's seen Mirrormask...

I'm actually partial to Alan Moore, and Grant Morrison when he behaves himself.

Rae-deemer

Doc Savage said:
Batman was a bastion of my childhood. as sad as some may think that. I actually felt more kinship with the Joker in my teens. He and Batman are effectively two sides of one coin; two madmen coping with mind-shearing trauma in two polar directions.
I like Gaiman...ask her if she's seen Mirrormask...

I'm actually partial to Alan Moore, and Grant Morrison when he behaves himself.

I haven't seen mirrormask, but I have read all of his books, including the children books. I love his dark humor and vocabulary. Neverwhere was first book of his I read, and Carolyn was the last. BTW Stardust and Carolyn are being made in to movies...... :)

I am however disappointed the Ledger is playing the Joker. I feel that he is not a character actor, and this role really requires a character actor, Johnny Depp would have been a much better pick.

And Yes! Gary Oldman rocks as Gordon.

Rae-deemer

temple of john said:
Well said Doc.

Rae may be very interested in hearing more about the stories if your interested in sharing. She's a bigger fan of comics than I am. I think her favorite comic writer is a guy named Neil Gaimon (if you have ever heard of him).

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of comics. I have a few favorites like: The Preacher, Hellblazer, Books of Magick, Squee, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, and Elanor. Other then that all of my comic book knowledge has been aquired from multiple conversations with comic book geeks in highschool and college.

Doc Savage

Rae-deemer said:
Stardust and Carolyn are being made in to movies...... :)
Sweet...I'd like to see some of his Sandman stuff translated to film.
Rae-deemer said:
Johnny Depp would have been a much better pick.
That would be interesting...he's very much a character actor. And he has the eyes for it.
Rae-deemer said:
And Yes! Gary Oldman rocks as Gordon.
He won me with Sid and Nancy and Dracula...and his Mason Verger in Hannibal was as good as the book.

Rae-deemer

Doc Savage said:
Sweet...I'd like to see some of his Sandman stuff translated to film.
That would be interesting...he's very much a character actor. And he has the eyes for it.
He won me with Sid and Nancy and Dracula...and his Mason Verger in Hannibal was as good as the book.

I don't know if the Sandman chronicles will be made into films, though that would be interesting.

I feel in love with Gary Oldman when I first watched Immortal Beloved in middle school. Then Dracula came and I watched that movies every weekend of my boring middle school to 10th grade carreer. I know most of the lines by heart.

Have you ever seen the movie ***** Up Your Ears. Oldman plays Joe Orton. I think it's one of his best performances.

Last edited:

Doc Savage

Rae-deemer said:
Have you ever seen the movie ***** Up Your Ears. Oldman plays Joe Orton. I think it's one of his best performances.
Haven't seen that one...may have to look into it. But with all things considered, if my three-year-old can't watch it, I probably won't get to it soon.

fortuneandglory

I'm really impressed with the attitude Caine brings to Alfred. I was a fan of the old Alfred, but Caine just brings this spunk that I think Alfred needs. He's not just this ancillary to Batman, subservient in every way, he's more of a trusted Cohort. And while he has his limits, he has much more depth than the old Alfred had.

Rae-deemer

Doc Savage said:
Haven't seen that one...may have to look into it. But with all things considered, if my three-year-old can't watch it, I probably won't get to it soon.

It's a little risky, but that first word isn't a curse word for some reason the raven is recognizing it as one. oh well

Rae-deemer

temple of john said:
Did you ever mention that movie to me honey?
You walked out on it five minuets into the movie, Joe Orton was a famous gay play write who was murdered by his not so famous gay play write of a boyfriend.

Rae-deemer

ClintonHammond said:
"I haven't seen mirrormask"

It's worth a rent... sort of on par with the Made-For-TV "Neverwhere" but with way better FX
I didn't know Neverwhere was made into a movie. New to me.

Doc Savage

**ahem**

Any idea if this movie will be a double-header? I heard that Cillian Murphy might reprise his role as the Scarecrow...although personally I'd like to see Killer Croc. Not the "I'm turning into a dinosaur" Killer Croc, but the "I'm a hyperthyroidal monstrosity with a skin disease who wrestles alligators" Killer Croc. As a hitman with a gimmick he was cool. Now they've turned him into a Curt Conners wannabe.

"I didn't know Neverwhere was made into a movie."

Neverwhere on DVD It's well worth owning

"Any idea if this movie will be a double-header?"
If it was, I'd like to see a DECENT Bane.... (To clear away the memory of the attempt in the previous film)

Paden

Doc Savage said:
I heard that Cillian Murphy might reprise his role as the Scarecrow...although personally I'd like to see Killer Croc.
Here's an article (about a year old) where Murphy discussed the possibility of returning as The Scarecrow. He seems eager to appear in a sequel. I haven't run across anything online that has confirmed whether or not The Scarecrow is a featured character in the new installment

Abe Vayoda

I?m interested in something Doc said?

We all know Batman is ?the world?s greatest detective?, but how often do we see the inquisitive, scientific side of the Dark Knight?

We know in the first Batman movie, he solves the Jokers chemical tampering with the household products scheme.
I?m no detective, but wouldn?t Batman?s cruising the streets at night watching over the Penguin in Returns be considered some form of investigation?

I?m not familiar with the Shoecumacher movie too well, but to the best of my memory the closest he came was solving the ?riddles? in Forever.

And in Batman Begins we see Batman in the narrows investigating that apartment. We see him interrogate Flass. And we see him following Falcone, listening in on his conversation.

Could those be considered a form of detective work? I think what we see less of in the films is Batmans scientific side. Though in Begins that work was relegated to Lucious Fox.

Paden said:
Here's an article (about a year old) where Murphy discussed the possibility of returning as The Scarecrow. He seems eager to appear in a sequel. I haven't run across anything online that has confirmed whether or not The Scarecrow is a featured character in the new installment

I'd like to see the Scarecrow make a return and explore his character more. He was a favorite villain of mine from the comics.

Abe Vayoda

I read some news today that Josh Lucas might be in the running to play Dent in the sequel. If that's true I'd be very happy if he was cast. Love to know that an Arkansan was cast in the new Batflick.

"but how often do we see the inquisitive, scientific side of the Dark Knight"

Not very often, because for the most part, that stuff makes for a very boring movie... It might work for CSI, but try to sustain it for 2+ hours on the big screen......

Abe Vayoda

I'm not asking for 2+ hours, but a simple scene of Batman doing forensics work might be fun... BTAS did this all the time.