TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #126
No Ticket
IndyFan

I honestly think Lucasarts should get the guys behind this series to make the next Indiana Jones game.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #127
Trennas
IndyFan

Stupid as it may sound coming from an Indy fan; I'd much rather see another Uncharted game than an Indiana Jones one (unless it was really really really good ) But the boys and girls at Naughty Dog should just keep doing their thing with their own franchise. Besides, I did spot a few Indiana Jones references in Among Thieves here and there

Actually pretty far in the game now! I was sick this weekend so I had plenty of time to stay in bed and play my ass off. So far it has been one great adrenaline rush of epic proportions. Really, I think I never expressed so many "THIS IS INSANE!!!" lines while playing any other game. The madness, chaos and suspense just keep coming and I'm loving every bit of it
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #128
MaverickKing
IndyFan

Had an argument with a friend today. She thought that Uncharted was a 100% rip-off of Tomb Raider, but that Tomb Raider was in no way inspired by Indiana Jones.

Then she said that Lara Croft would kick Indiana Jones's ass. Which is just plain WRONG.
MaverickKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #129
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trennas
Stupid as it may sound coming from an Indy fan; I'd much rather see another Uncharted game than an Indiana Jones one (unless it was really really really good )

I wouldn't call that a stupid sentiment; for all the work that was alleged to have gone into seeking out that "perfect" MacGuffin, Kingdom was a bitter pill to swallow. As I've said before: It took 'em twenty years to come up with that? Balderdash. With a modicum of actual research and interest in the subject, Amy Hennig & Co. have managed to come up with a far more interesting situations to put Drake in a shorter amount of time. Part 3 sounds awesome, too! Unfortunately it was just a few ideas, and I cannot share anything.

Otherwise, we have the exact same sentiments! I'm really digging how Among Thieves isn't completely 'realtime.' Lots to fill in!
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #130
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickKing
Had an argument with a friend today. She thought that Uncharted was a 100% rip-off of Tomb Raider, but that Tomb Raider was in no way inspired by Indiana Jones.

Then she said that Lara Croft would kick Indiana Jones's ass. Which is just plain WRONG.

And you still call her a friend?

How did this "friend" quantify this argument? Not only is it wrong, but a dangerous bit of thinking. Somehow Mlle. Croft was created from whole cloth, and Drake was cobbled out of the remnants? Amazing. You can also remind your friend that despite a bevy of pretty artwork, Mlle. Croft hasn't had an enjoyable game since "The Last Revelation".

The movies were enjoyable, but still needed work.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #131
Trennas
IndyFan

Even IF (and I very much disagree there) the Uncharted games were a 100% rip of Tomb Raider, it would still have ten times the quality and production values of lady Croft's entire gaming oeuvre.

The differences between the franchises are simply enormous. Let's start with.. oh, I dunno.. character depth and development (unless you view Lara's polygon breast enlargements and reductions as something like that), an actual story, a well done control scheme, a camera that doesn't bug the crap out of you every time you take a turn, the fact that Uncharted is clearly more action oriented than Tomb Raider, etc, etc.

Sure, Uncharted borrowed some things from Tomb Raider. But not solely. Think of Prince of Persia for the platforming and Gears of War for the cover system. It sort of picked the best from a whole slew of games and mashed them together into a brilliant format, which is more than I can say for any of the TR games. Even while Legend and Anniversary were fun, they weren't that particularly brilliant or anything. And the only enjoyable thing about the movies was Angelina Jolie prancing around in tight outfits; they were pretty horrible besides that XD
Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #132
Trennas
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
I wouldn't call that a stupid sentiment; for all the work that was alleged to have gone into seeking out that "perfect" MacGuffin, Kingdom was a bitter pill to swallow. As I've said before: It took 'em twenty years to come up with that? Balderdash. With a modicum of actual research and interest in the subject, Amy Hennig & Co. have managed to come up with a far more interesting situations to put Drake in a shorter amount of time. Part 3 sounds awesome, too! Unfortunately it was just a few ideas, and I cannot share anything.

Otherwise, we have the exact same sentiments! I'm really digging how Among Thieves isn't completely 'realtime.' Lots to fill in!

Although I wasn't so disappointed about which MacGuffin they picked itself, I was extremely disappointed with WHAT they did with it in Kingdom. It just didn't make any sense. Still, bygones and all that.

And I'm very glad that Amy Hennig and the Dogs are doing their research extremely well. All that knowledge attributes greatly to the game and makes for some pretty daring development choices that actually work out great in game. Like Tenzin speaking Tibetan for example. Drake can only guess what he means, and unless you understand Tibetan, you don't understand anymore than he does, which only makes the player/protagonist relationship stronger in my opinion.

I'm really curious about what they will do for Uncharted 3! Actually have some cool ideas myself that would be very suitable for the Uncharted universe, but I was never that lucky to share them with the actual game director XD

p.s. Nice that you got a signed copy! Pretty sweet!

p.p.s. I just sent her a friend request on Facebook. Curious what she will say XD

Last edited by Trennas : 10-21-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #133
Agent Crab
IndyFan

I've heard about it, but never played it. I want to, though. I heard it is pretty decent.
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #134
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
For no reason at all; I'm going to list the chapters for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves!

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

1-Ambushed
2-The Search For El Dorado
3-A Surprising Find
4-Plane Wrecked
5-The Fortress
6-Unlocking the Past
7-Out of the Frying Pan
8-The Drowned City
9-To the Tower
10-The Customs House
11-Trapped
12-Heading Upriver
13-Sanctuary?
14-Going Underground
15-On the Trail of the Treasure
16-The Treasure Vault
17-The Heart of the Vault
18-The Bunker
19-Unwelcome Guests
20-Race To the Rescue
21-Gold and Bones
22-Showdown

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
1-A Rock and A Hard Place
2-Breaking and Entering
3-Borneo
4-The Dig
5-Urban Warfare
6-Desperate Times
7-They're Coming With Us
8-The City's Secret
9-Path of Light
10-Only One Way Out
11-Keep Moving
12-A Train To Catch
13-Locomotion
14-Tunnel Vision
15-Train Wrecked
16-Where Am I?
17-Mountaineering
18-Heart of Ice
19-Siege
20-Cat and Mouse
21-Convoy
22-The Monastery
23-Reunion
24-The Road To Shambhala
25-Broken Paradise
26-Tree of Life
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #135
Perhilion
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickKing

I'm a big TR fan but that's just stupid.
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #136
Ska
IndyFan

I'm in Chapter 17: Mountaineering.

Chapters 12-15 blew me away.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #137
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
I'm in Chapter 17: Mountaineering.

Chapters 12-15 blew me away.

I'm om chapter 22:-The Monastery.
Awesome, awesome game so far! I love it.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #138
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New York Times
ndiana Jones, eat your heart out.

For decades, video game makers have suffered in the inevitable comparison with their Hollywood counterparts. For all the creative and technical wizardry associated with gaming, movies have had the interactive world just plain beat when it comes to sophistication of scope, characterization and visual storytelling.

The New York Times has finally chimed in with its review on "Among Thieves." Point your browser in this direction to read the full thing.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #139
Morning Bell
IndyFan

I know I'm behind the times but I finally picked up a PS3 last month and now I'm working my way through the first game, which I wanted to play before the second one. It's definitely awesome and I can see why so many people love it. For an adventure junkie like me this is exactly the kind of game that I can get excited about.
Morning Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #140
Trennas
IndyFan

The first Uncharted was the main reason for me to trade in the Wii for the PS3. It just oozed awesomeness and it didn't disappoint one bit

I just finished Among Thieves this weekend! I'm sad that it's over as it was an amazing ride with some really amazing sequences, but rest assured, the ending is just perfect and completely satisfying. And I will be man enough to honestly admit I had watery eyes and an emotional lump the size of a walnut in my throat
Old 11-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #141
Trennas
IndyFan

By the way, for someone who took that long to write the NY Times review, he could have talked a lot more about the actual game than the fact that it made him want to buy a new TV.. he has a point, of course, but there is so much more to tell about the game besides the fact that it's graphical perfection and made of awesome in every way.. pretty bad review, if I say so myself.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #142
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Has anybody seen...

...these things yet? They keep track of your on-line progress, and can tag them on your various message boards.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Le Saboteur

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - LeSaboteur

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - LeSaboteur

None of those are mine, by the way. All you need to do in order brag to all your friends, is wander over in this direction. Cards are available for all the major characters.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #143
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Bell
I know I'm behind the times but I finally picked up a PS3 last month and now I'm working my way through the first game, which I wanted to play before the second one. It's definitely awesome and I can see why so many people love it. For an adventure junkie like me this is exactly the kind of game that I can get excited about.

Nah, you're not behind the times. I make it a point to never buy any consumer electronics until after they've been out for a while. When I finally picked up my PS3, it sat on the floor for a month before I installed it!

And as an often injurious aficionado of the action-adventure genre, Drake's Fortune was my primary reason for getting a PS3. Since traditional forms of entertainment have given up on the genre, it's refreshing to see somebody take the genre seriously since Indiana Jones & Lara Croft refuse to.

Trennas: Totally agreed on the NY Times review! But then, it's not a video game outlet; having the additional exposure is nice, but it's written for a general audience. Everybody who really cares has already bought "Among Thieves".

And I'm still only on Chapter 6 "Digging Up the Past" on Drake's Fortune.

Oh - and some clever bastard has mocked up Bruce Campbell as Scully!

Old 11-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #144
Trennas
IndyFan

Awesome ^^ Looks just like Sully indeed!

Now you made me anxious for Burn Notice again. Damn you!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 AM   #145
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

You can find all sorts of nifty things by browsing the Playstation Network -- Eye of Indra motion comic!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #146
Trennas
IndyFan

No one saw that one yet? It's been out for over two weeks now I think. You can download it from gametrailers in high res if you register
Old 11-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #147
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
No one saw that one yet? It's been out for over two weeks now I think. You can download it from gametrailers in high res if you register

Doesn't seem like it. I remember reading about it back in October, but only finally got around to watching it last night! Quite amusing, and I'd like to see more whenever they get around to releasing the entire thing.

You can also dl-it from the Playstation Network in HD; that's where I got mine -- in 1080p!

Are we back to being the only ones keeping this thing going?

One complaint: I can't stop to look around! While zipping around on the jetski, I wanted to stop and admire all the work ND put into the level!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #148
Trennas
IndyFan

Ehr, I'm fairly sure I got mine from gametrailers a while ago. The file on my hdd is not imaginary XD

Here is the link. Reason I downloaded it here was because it hadn't come out in the Europe PSN yet.

Yeah, I know what you mean XD Looking around made sure I played at least 2 hours longer than necessary.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #149
Ska
IndyFan

Haven't played the single player in about a week...still in chapter 17.

But I've been having a blast playing multi player lately...although I suck at it.

Thanks for sharing that motion comic. I look forward to seeing the rest.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #150
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Ehr, I'm fairly sure I got mine from gametrailers a while ago. The file on my hdd is not imaginary XD.

It's neither here nor there, but I was referring to the fact that nobody appears to have seen the motion comic yet. I'm quite certain your copy is real.

Just finished Drake's Fortune! Glad to know that Sully was "paying attention." Now I need to decide whether to play through it again, or pick up Among Thieves!

Oh, and for those of you who aren't interested in playing through what happened last time, Sony has put these together:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
Thanks for sharing that motion comic. I look forward to seeing the rest.

Glad to be of service! The next three episodes are supposed to be out "in November" with some sort of pack-in. I'm supposing this means they'll be charging for it...

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 11-12-2009 at 05:07 AM.