Lucas ponders Indy 5

Indy's Fist

MaxPhactor23 said:
I'm with yah there, buddy! (y)

I really just wish he'd retire...

You know it's funny because I'm also a huge Star Trek fan. I noticed that as Gen Roddenberry got older his ideas were as whacky as Lucas' are now. It wasn't until he left the picture that things for the modern ST shows turned around. Maybe if Lucas served as a consultant we'd all get a better product for it!

Deckard

Indy's Fist said:
You know it's funny because I'm also a huge Star Trek fan. I noticed that as Gen Roddenberry got older his ideas were as whacky as Lucas' are now. It wasn't until he left the picture that things for the modern ST shows turned around. Maybe if Lucas served as a consultant we'd all get a better product for it!

But he did already pretty much. He stayed away from the sets on Indy 4, showing up only twice Im aware of. The problem is he gets to have any involvement at all.

Ok he created it, sort of. He created Indiana Smith.

But just because he did the original does it mean hes god. I mean can't it just be that hes out of ideas and grown out of the character.

The fact is there are more qualified writers with a better understanding of the character and fresh ideas that will actually work.

He himself admits he has no ideas at all for Indy 5. SO WHY THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT IT LUCAS? Because he knows there is money there still. He can smell it. Hes a greedy little bastard.

The Man

Deckard said:
He himself admits he has no ideas at all for Indy 5. SO WHY THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT IT LUCAS? Because he knows there is money there still. He can smell it. Hes a greedy little bastard.

Therein lies the problem. His justification to continue stems from the b.o. returns he's enjoyed for the last ten years. Billions...

Indy's Fist

Deckard said:
But he did already pretty much. He stayed away from the sets on Indy 4, showing up only twice Im aware of. The problem is he gets to have any involvement at all.

Ok he created it, sort of. He created Indiana Smith.

But just because he did the original does it mean hes god. I mean can't it just be that hes out of ideas and grown out of the character.

The fact is there are more qualified writers with a better understanding of the character and fresh ideas that will actually work.

Trust me Lucas has a MUCH bigger say in Indy than Gene did by second season of TNG and forward.

eazybox

It may be too late to make a good Indy V, but I can't help comparing the CS situation to what happened to the Star Trek franchise many years ago.

In 1979, amid great anticipation and fanfare, "Star Trek-- The Motion Picture" was released, 10 years after the original TV series was cancelled. Although the movie was a success at the box office it received very mixed reviews from critics and fans. Like CS, most thought it lacked a good story and character development. The general consensus was that Star Trek was finally over.

Then in 1982, "Star Trek II-- The Wrath Of Khan" was released and was an enormous hit and received great reviews. Most people said they liked WOK a lot better than the first movie because there was more emphasis on story and character development.

Maybe Indy's production team can take a lesson from the early history of the Star Trek movies if they want to make Indy V a success. Great action and special effects, of course, but built around a solid core of story and character.

At this late date, though, who knows if they can pull it off? George Lucas in particular does not seem willing to take into consideration what most of Indy's fans want to see.

It should also be noted as Indy's Fist alluded to that "Star Trek II" had a different production team who could approach the series from a fresh perspective, which almost certainly will not happen with Indy.

Jack

Deckard

eazybox said:
It should also be noted as Indy's Fist alluded to that "Star Trek II" had a different production team who could approach the series from a fresh perspective, which almost certainly will not happen with Indy.

Jack

Lucas "wants to create a new generation of Indy fans." But he won't let them have anything to do w/ the production of his movie. Even tho, they know better then him and can breathe new life into a character they understand. He's a stubborn megalomaniac.

He doesn't want to make another movie. He just wants to make another Billion. I'll pay him $8 to not make a movie.

Indy's Fist

The big problem here is that Lucas & Co. have within themselves the ability to make a great film, but not as much desire to.

Deckard

random employee : "Excuse me, Mr. Lucas, your fly is down."

crazy ******* boss : "ITS MY GOD DAMN FLY! I WANT IT DOWN! I UNZIPPED IT BECAUSE IT WAS MAD AT THE WORLD BECASUE THEY DIDNT LIKE IT! ITS SYMBOLIZING MY FLYS ANGER AND TURNING TO EVIL! LEAVE MY FLY ALONE! ITS MY FLY! ITS SUPPOSED TO BE DOWN LIKE THAT! SOMEDAY IT WILL BE THE MOST POWERFUL FLY EVER. YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND IT."

Crack that whip

Deckard said:
Wtf are you talking about wit for, were on the ****ing internet, I dont care if you think Im witty, Im not trying to win a writing contest. Im not trying to get you in bed. Im doing evrything I can from now on to make people hate Lucas plain and simple. Read this thread, your the only one who seems to disagree w/ the outlook that Lucas just needs to stop.

When I mentioned Osama Bin Laden did I mention him killing anyone, no. You clearly have trouble reading. I was equating to the way Osama pops up once in a while from hiding to make a public statement, and it causes all this BS uproar. Lucas does the same thing when he gives these stupid interviews. Terrorism is mental too, your convuluted republican view is what makes you fear the word and automatically relate it to 9-11. Your the stupid american that makes the rest of us look bad.

And what youve just admitted is you have less reason to be in this thread then me, bcuz your just here to see what Im saying, instead of contributing to the conversation. And you can't even properly understand my statements.

So far you accused me of being a murderer and of having accused Lucas of murder and you missed the mark both times. Wtg idiot. Maybe your not as smart as your mom told you.

Frankly, I'm just trying to keep you from looking like a moron. Some corrections, for the record:

? I didn't accuse you of being a murderer, I merely tried to point out how irrational you were being. I also didn't say you said Lucas was a murderer; I said you were equating bad moviemaking with murder, which is not the same thing. If that wasn't your intent, then duly noted, but you invited that misunderstanding when you compared Lucas to OBL, a man whose status as a murderer overshadows other ways of seeing him. If you really meant to liken his sporadic videotaped proclamations with Lucas' occasional public statements between stretches of reclusion, you really needed to be clearer.

? I'm emphatically not a Republican (seriously, I have no idea where you got this, nor what relevance it has to this conversation, but since you're so completely clueless, let me just disabuse you of one of the many misapprehensions of reality under which you seem to be laboring, and make painfully clear I'm politically very left, and I'm more than fully aware of how Republicans have nurtured a culture of fear in this country and exploited "terrorism" for political gain, to our great shame and detriment - not that that has any bearing on this discussion, I reiterate).

? This thread began simply as a discussion of Lucas' musings on a fifth Indy movie, and I've every right and reason to follow such a thread. I didn't come here to make personal attacks, but upon seeing just how asinine you were being I pointed it out. That's all. I've read everyone's posts in this thread with interest; the fact that I've responded only to yours doesn't mean I'm here only for you. If I've had any difficulty understanding your statements, which I freely acknowledge is possible, it could very well be as much because you don't make yourself as clear as you should.

? I don't think I do disagree that Lucas just needs to stop. Certainly at least with Star Wars I'd just as soon he left it alone and call it done.

I do see Indy as different, but perhaps that's because I have different desires on what I'd like to see in an Indy movie, as well as because, true, I don't think the movie is as bad as many others here do. Blasphemy, I know.

? I'm here to contribute to the conversation by making observations about your own statements in the perhaps quixotic hope they'll induce something saner from you. Perhaps I'm giving you too much credit. But I sincerely hope not.

nitzsche

How can you push it into the past when Harrison is pushing 70? They could do one set prior to 1957, but no earlier than 1955.

Deckard

Crack that whip said:
Frankly, I'm just trying to keep you from looking like a moron. Some corrections, for the record:

• I didn't accuse you of being a murderer, I merely tried to point out how irrational you were being. I also didn't say you said Lucas was a murderer; I said you were equating bad moviemaking with murder, which is not the same thing. If that wasn't your intent, then duly noted, but you invited that misunderstanding when you compared Lucas to OBL, a man whose status as a murderer overshadows other ways of seeing him. If you really meant to liken his sporadic videotaped proclamations with Lucas' occasional public statements between stretches of reclusion, you really needed to be clearer.

• I'm emphatically not a Republican (seriously, I have no idea where you got this, nor what relevance it has to this conversation, but since you're so completely clueless, let me just disabuse you of one of the many misapprehensions of reality under which you seem to be laboring, and make painfully clear I'm politically very left, and I'm more than fully aware of how Republicans have nurtured a culture of fear in this country and exploited "terrorism" for political gain, to our great shame and detriment - not that that has any bearing on this discussion, I reiterate).

• This thread began simply as a discussion of Lucas' musings on a fifth Indy movie, and I've every right and reason to follow such a thread. I didn't come here to make personal attacks, but upon seeing just how asinine you were being I pointed it out. That's all. I've read everyone's posts in this thread with interest; the fact that I've responded only to yours doesn't mean I'm here only for you. If I've had any difficulty understanding your statements, which I freely acknowledge is possible, it could very well be as much because you don't make yourself as clear as you should.

• I don't think I do disagree that Lucas just needs to stop. Certainly at least with Star Wars I'd just as soon he left it alone and call it done.

I do see Indy as different, but perhaps that's because I have different desires on what I'd like to see in an Indy movie, as well as because, true, I don't think the movie is as bad as many others here do. Blasphemy, I know.

• I'm here to contribute to the conversation by making observations about your own statements in the perhaps quixotic hope they'll induce something saner from you. Perhaps I'm giving you too much credit. But I sincerely hope not.

BS Spin to take attention away from the simple fact that your wrong and you know it, but you dont have the balls to admit it. I think Lucas has crawled so far up your ass, hes coming out of your mouth.

Crack that whip

eazybox said:
At this late date, though, who knows if they can pull it off? George Lucas in particular does not seem willing to take into consideration what most of Indy's fans want to see.

I don't think Lucas really knows what most of Indy's fans want to see; there are a lot of filters between us and him.

Whether it would make a difference or not if he did, I don't know; I do think he still has a genuine interest in the character, but that takes him in directions that aren't always in sync with the fans.

sandiegojones

When you do too much of something it becomes tired and old. I liked KOTCS quite a bit despite it's flaws and I'm all for Indy 5, but it's foolish to expect another classic. Still, sometimes you get lucky!

The Dark Knight and any future Batman films have the luxury of borrowing good plots from the comics and a good director who knows which stories are the good ones because of the character drama. That's where Tim Burton and Schumacher went wrong. They fell in love with the rubber suits and not the character and story.

SS and GL fell in love with the hat and the whip and lost sight of the character.

Lucas wants to make movies for himself, and Spielberg wants to make a movie for the masses. I guess that's where Lucas has gone wrong. With Star Wars, Empire and Raiders Lucas was in sync with the audience, but I think he's become too self-indulgent since he doesn't need the audience to make movies anymore because he's got so much money.

Crack that whip

Deckard said:
BS Spin to take attention away from the simple fact that your wrong and you know it, but you dont have the balls to admit it.

No, actually, I don't know it, but I'm willing to be persuaded, though I'm doubtful of your ability to do so. But hey, I'm willing to listen.

Go and quote any specific thing I said, and then quote anything you said if you need to to contrast / compare it with something, and show me where I'm wrong.

Crack that whip

sandiegojones said:
Lucas wants to make movies for himself, and Spielberg wants to make a movie for the masses. I guess that's where Lucas has gone wrong. With Star Wars, Empire and Raiders Lucas was in sync with the audience, but I think he's become too self-indulgent since he doesn't need the audience to make movies anymore because he's got so much money.

I think you're right, except I don't know that I can say it makes Lucas "wrong" so much as "disappointing."

MaxPhactor23

Deckard said:
random employee : "Excuse me, Mr. Lucas, your fly is down."

crazy ******* boss : "ITS MY GOD DAMN FLY! I WANT IT DOWN! I UNZIPPED IT BECAUSE IT WAS MAD AT THE WORLD BECASUE THEY DIDNT LIKE IT! ITS SYMBOLIZING MY FLYS ANGER AND TURNING TO EVIL! LEAVE MY FLY ALONE! ITS MY FLY! ITS SUPPOSED TO BE DOWN LIKE THAT! SOMEDAY IT WILL BE THE MOST POWERFUL FLY EVER. YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND IT."

That’s essentially what it comes down to. His films aren’t run with camaraderie and collaborative efforts, they’re run like a boardroom. Too many Lucas Film, THX, and ILM employees are fans. Too few are filmmakers, writers, special effects engineers, and so forth. Instead of doing their job, they willfully take militaristic orders from their icon: George Lucas. He demands a level of respect and they sycophantically kiss his flabby flannelled butt. Thus grows Georges ego.

He’s a notoriously selfish writer and director. It’s his way or the highway. He literally must approve everything before the go-ahead. He’s treated like the emperor and his companies are run like the empire. There’s little to no room for self-expression. The Original Trilogy is so vastly superior because people weren’t afraid to talk back to George. Today they treat his word as rule. Harrison Ford openly stated he’d make dialogue edits with George, admitting that his writing was oftentimes ridiculous. Now people just go along with that ridiculousness.

The thing that gets me is this minority of zombie-like fans that actually support his selfish nature. They proclaim that they’re his film and subsequently he can do whatever he wants. In the end, what’s the more respectable motivation, pleasing the fans or pleasing yourself? Those that respect their audience and aim to actually please the viewers always ultimately end up with an over-all superior product. Those whom aim to only please themselves…they disappoint. I think it’s about time George Lucas gave a level of respect to the fan base, the people who gave him his fortune, as opposed to the other way around. Yet it will never happen. He demands obedience. He openly doesn't care about the fans. It's always about him...

Last edited:

Deckard

Crack that whip said:
No, actually, I don't know it, but I'm willing to be persuaded, though I'm doubtful of your ability to do so. But hey, I'm willing to listen.

Go and quote any specific thing I said, and then quote anything you said if you need to to contrast / compare it with something, and show me where I'm wrong.

You contradict yourself every 5 secs.

Crack that whip said:
Ah, hoping a guy you've never met dies or is crippled because you're disappointed with some movies - classy!

Maybe you should go kill him yourself, and when you're on trial for his murder, you can look his kids and the judge and everyone else in the eye and say with sincerity and conviction, "but you don't understand, I had to - I didn't like his movies anymore!!!" I'm sure they'll understand...

:rolleyes: (n)

Never wished him dead or said I would kill someone.

Crack that whip said:
Well, wow. Hard to argue with that sort of rational, well-reasoned stance. I mean, clearly making new franchise movies that some of the fanbase feels don't measure up is morally equivalent to killing thousands of people. My eyes have been opened.

:rolleyes:

Never said that either. Never mentioned the death of anyone let alone alot of people.

Crack that whip said:
All my posts in this thread have been about your hysteria and your gross inflation of Lucas' 'offenses' to the level of a mass murderer and your calls for his lifelong suffering from serious afflictions just so you won't be 'tormented' any longer by freaking movies you always have the option of just not seeing.

If you think the latest movie sucks and you have no confidence in Lucas to make any more good movies, that's entirely reasonable. Equating his making movies you don't like with terrorism or such things, though, diminishes those real offenses, makes you sound like, well, an idiot, and frankly undermines your argument.

All your posts were simply misinterpreting what I said and in responce to only me. And I Never equated a movie to terrorism. You lose and you may want to get a catscan.

LMK if you want me to remind you how to wipe your ass or what you had for breakfast.

Last edited:

MaxPhactor23

I don’t think George Lucas should be elevated to the level of a terrorist…but I’d certainly not mind seeing boardroom fat cats and those fueled by corporate greed get a public execution. Corruption should never be supported. He's not Osama Bin Laden, but George Lucas certainly runs the ENRON of film making.

nitzsche

The most respectable motivation is sticking to his vision rather than compromising. He got Indy 4 done. He said he compromised with Spielberg though. They both compromised. Neither Spielberg nor Ford had to sign on to it. They did. Seems everyone got out of it what they wanted put into it. It took 19 years.

The majority liked KotCS. The snot-nosed asshats are in the minority. They cry really loudly, so it sounds like a majority, but it isn't.

Lucas was given a mandate from fans to make Indy 4. Based on the box office and the response from general audiences, he has a mandate to do a fifth.

To try and suggest Lucas does not allow collaboration of ideas is laughable.

Deckard

George Lucas is a terrorist, just not in the same extreme sense of the way we Americans have come to use the word.

Saying you may make a movie gets the attention of people, and then him threatening that it will be done his way or not at all, is simply, terrorism. Its using fear to get your way.

You dont have to kill people to be a terrorist. Its still a word with a definition, it doesn't change because of the way we view the world.