"One highlight is a deleted fight between Indy and a Cairo swordsman
that Spielberg spent days choreographing only to have Ford--under
the weather because of a stomach virus--improvise and just shoot the
baddie, which wound up in the finished Raiders and was one of the
best-remembered moments. The full scene has been resurrected for the
DVD."

Sounds pretty good :)

swords

It would be neat if we could see the Tom Selleck deleted scenes.

Yeah, I always wanted to see the Swordsman scene play out, I wonder if it could surpass the actual gag of the final cut.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
They didn't film much of that scene...I would suspect that other larger cuts will be the features.

swords

The Pat Roach aerial fight is going to be in the deleted scenes, this should be one of the most interesting since it involves a WW1 veteran ace(Roach), discussing his WW1 stories with others on the "blimp", where the scenes go back and forth towards Indy and Henry and Roach.

Also, I never knew this scene was dropped because of the motorcycle chase, interesting...

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
If I recall his character {Roach] is quite drunk and when he attempts to go after Indy and Henry ends up crashing his plane. HA! Quite funny!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Aaron, I believe you're right, the WWI ace does crash, I think, but I don't think he was played by Pat Roach...his character was the Gestapo man who runs up to the zeppelin with Vogel.

However, swords intrigues me...what's the relationship between the flying ace and the motorcycle chase?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
If this from ToD doesn't make it, I'll be sorely disappointed...

Pat Roach remembers, "There was a whipping scene where Harrison's tied up to a rock. Barbra Streisand came in, dressed in black leather, and while Harrison was chained up to the rock, she took my whip off me and whipped him! She said, 'That's for Hanover Street, the worst movie I ever saw!' and then she whipped him for doing Star Wars and earning all that money. Then Carrie Fisher ran in-she was dressed up, too-and she threw herself across Harrison, and shouted, 'No, no, no!' And then Irvin Kershner ran in and said, 'Steven, is this the way you run your movies? I would never let this happen on one of my sets!' Then, Steven said to Kersh, 'Get off my set!' They filmed it, and I think they sent it back to Hollywood. It was hilarious."

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
HA! I'll have to see that one!

I think the airplane chase scene was cut because it was too "mean". Afterall, who wants to see an old guy die? (come to think of it, it would be like The Mummy in many respects)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of airplane crashes, was this caught on film?

As Ford was climbing up his legs dangled with the plane's right flap and made steering difficult. So when the plane reached an altitude of twenty feet, it disappeared behind an outcrop of trees and crashed. Miraculously, Ford and the pilot escaped unscratched and returned to do the scene again.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Moedred said:
Speaking of airplane crashes, was this caught on film?

As Ford was climbing up his legs dangled with the plane's right flap and made steering difficult. So when the plane reached an altitude of twenty feet, it disappeared behind an outcrop of trees and crashed. Miraculously, Ford and the pilot escaped unscratched and returned to do the scene again.
Not quite, Harrison opened the door with acted like a rudder casuing "Jock" to loose control. They crashed into the trees just a few seconds after the cut.

Tom Jones

Speaking of airplanes, was this caught on film?

In the Flying Wing scene, Indy is supposed roll in front of one of the wheels and try to grab his revolver, right?

Well in one point of shooting Ford either slipped or timed the maneuver wrong because as he rolled the Flying Wing's wheel slowly ran over his leg. But because of the extreme heat in the desert it didn't crush it. Then after a moment of pause he returned to take another shot at the scene.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Attila the Professor said:
Aaron, I believe you're right, the WWI ace does crash, I think, but I don't think he was played by Pat Roach...his character was the Gestapo man who runs up to the zeppelin with Vogel.

yeah, I was wondering what everyone was talking about, and BTW, here are pictures of that ace from the marvel comic book, courtesy of TheRaider.net :D :

crusade_deleted_16.jpg

crusade_deleted_17.jpg

crusade_deleted_18.jpg

hahahaha!!! Great stuff!!!!

swords

I do say thats interesting!

Did someone say they found me intriquing?*vanity takes over* Here's a excerpt:

For Last Crusade Julian Glover mentioned that there was a whole flying chase sequence filmed that was dropped in favor of the motorcycle chase, and this additional footage should find it's way onto the DVD.

Isn't that just interesting? Im looking forward to this.

Kumba

Hey, how about a deleted scene that shows how indy's satchel strap got attached to the gun turrent on the tank! Haha, if lucas or spielburg can explain that one, i'm all ears. Or, excuse me, this might be on the blooper reel, hehe!

swords

Tom Jones said:
Speaking of airplanes, was this caught on film?

In the Flying Wing scene, Indy is supposed roll in front of one of the wheels and try to grab his revolver, right?

Well in one point of shooting Ford either slipped or timed the maneuver wrong because as he rolled the Flying Wing's wheel slowly ran over his leg. But because of the extreme heat in the desert it didn't crush it. Then after a moment of pause he returned to take another shot at the scene.

They did indeed film it! Ford accidently slipped, and the extreme heat made the tires soft, but it only went over his foot, nothing serious surprisingly.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Attila the Professor said:

Here's a picture of that ace from Indygear.com:

sketch_wwi_ace.jpg

And here's Gestapo:

sketch_gestapo.jpg

00Kevin

Indyfan
another scene I'm looking forwards to (everything here is from theraider.net......DON'T FRY ME MODS!!!):

<big>Sallah's Execution</big>

Indy and Marion left to suffocate in the Well of the Souls the Germans decide that Sallah should be executed. A young German soldier was supposed to carry out the dirty job but things changed when the later started having second thoughts. A German youth vacationing in Tunisia had been hired for the part of the young soldier. The funny thing is that this inexperienced young man managed to express brilliantly the moral dilemma of a young soldier forced to decide whether or not to kill a harmless stranger; this is the business of foreign wars, and this unknown German boy was able to convey it as well as any actor.
The result was beyond description, with this German student playing an intensely moving and emotional scene, making David Wisniewitz and Karen Allen call it the greatest moment since the film began. Spielberg said the bitter truth was that brilliant and memorable though the scene was, it would probably end up on the cutting-room floor because it was just too long. So it did.

raiders_deleted_14.jpg

raiders_deleted_15.jpg

anyone think this scene will be in?????

Canyon

Jedi Daniel said:
Just got this from E! Online:

"One highlight is a deleted fight between Indy and a Cairo swordsman
that Spielberg spent days choreographing only to have Ford--under
the weather because of a stomach virus--improvise and just shoot the
baddie, which wound up in the finished Raiders and was one of the
best-remembered moments. The full scene has been resurrected for the
DVD."
Sounds pretty good :)

I too would love to see those scenes.

raiders_deleted_09.jpg

I would also love to see the scene where Indy and Henry arrive in Iskenderun.

c20.jpg