Ancient aliens

Gabeed said:
According to a friend of mine:

---
"Well, I should start by saying that I am pursuing a PhD in condensed matter physics, so I AM tainted by an insurmountable pile of dogma known as "scientific standards".

This post is not about aliens, but it is about science. Just a fair warning if you don't care to read about science, I'll try to keep it as short as I can.

Mr. SixFix, Quantum mechanics has been a "conventional science" for about 85% of the 20th century. It certainly does not say that "objects" can be in two places at the same time, but I can perhaps see where that misconception could come from. Quantum mechanics says that at a small enough scale (less than 10^-10 meters), location and velocity are not well-defined enough for a given particle to say exactly where something is or isn't. This comes from "particle-wave duality", which basically means that at this small scale, particles of matter behave much like waves. When you have two particles (let's say electrons) in very close proximity to each other, their "waveforms" start to sort of "bleed" into one another. It is very important not to confuse this behavior with the idea that the electrons share the same state. Indeed, one of the most basic and important discoveries of quantum mechanics is that no two particles may share a quantum state.

And one more thing about your comment in general.

"Science explains lots of things as long as you don't look too deeply into them."

Looking deeply at "things" is precisely what science IS. Newtonian physics (regular physics that describes big, slow things) may have been fundamentally disproved by relativistic and quantum discoveries, but that doesn't mean that PHYSICS is broken or that the scientific community is doomed to failure. It means that we are continually updating our understanding of physics. We update that with the scientific method. Once we try to advance our understanding of something by working backwards from a predetermined conclusion (ancient aliens), we stop advancing our understanding. That's how we become closed-minded and dogmatic."
---
My Hero.

Hey really man, what are you doing Friday night? Mongol is back in the Independent Theater down the road, (haven't caught it yet)...maybe grab a few beers after that?

I'm married, man so it's not like that...no big deal.:hat:

Rocket Surgeon said:
My Hero.

Hey really man, what are you doing Friday night? Mongol is back in the Independent Theater down the road, (haven't caught it yet)...maybe grab a few beers after that?

I'm married, man so it's not like that...no big deal.:hat:

First round's on me if I can join ya guys. ;)

Gabeed, your friend seems like an incredibly intelligent fella. For someone as myself, who only ever had a passing interest in studying science (I'll gladly admit my chosen field is entertainment), your friend has succinctly and elegantly vocalized the exact principles I've been trying, ineptly, to explain. Namely that science is ever growing and that dogma comes in attempting to work everything into a pre-determined idea rather than trying to disprove an idea (otherwise known as a theory).

Cheers to him for his eloquence.

Gabeed

I have given him the link to this thread, so your praise is noted. :hat:

And I'm down with Mongol and beers. I've seen it once, but a second viewing would be nice.

Montana Smith

I had the strangest dream.

First Roger showed his Johnson.

Then Rocket picked up Gabeed.

A masked hero of science swung down and saved the day.

And in the middle of all that, did the board clock lose and hour again?

:confused:

Montana Smith said:
I had the strangest dream.

First Roger showed his Johnson.

Then Rocket picked up Gabeed.

A masked hero of science swung down and saved the day.

And in the middle of all that, did the board clock lose and hour again?

And you were there. And you, and Auntie Em, and Toto too!

Finn

Staff member
Matt deMille said:
A point made several times before: Sometimes, an alien explanation is indeed the simpler, more logical one.
I'm sorry, but to come to a conclusion like this requires some overly one-minded thinking riddled with shortcuts. As stated before, any extraterrestial visitors must have access to technology our current knowledge of simple physics can't even comprehend.

All constructions of the past justly reflect the level of technology people of those times have had at their use. It is certainly possible to use "slaves and ropes" to build pyramids like the ones in Giza. This has been scientifically proven with empirical tests. Of course, it is certainly even more easier to build with our current level of technology when we have cranes and concrete and trucks and stuff.

However, do we use this tech to build pyramids? Nope, we use it to build skyscrapers with electricity, elevators, plumbing and all kinds of other conveniences an ancient Egyptian couldn't even dream about.

So, seriously. You're telling us that the simpler explanation according to Occam's razor and any other law of logic out there for the existence of certain grand constructions is that we've had visitors with access to technology far superior than anything we've ever seen or even find plausible, and they use it to put together... a triangular pile of rocks?

Sure, they could have been careful not leaving behind any tech too advanced for humans of the time not to cause a twist in their natural progression or something. But without any solid proof, this theory is nothing more than wild speculation, or if we wish to express it extra harsh, fan wank. It might be commendable for a Hollywood writer to come up with something like this since it covers plot holes, but has very little room in the field of science.

You are naturally free to believe whatever you want. But unless we come across some kind of anachronistic technology that is clearly far more advanced than its apparent age that acts as practical proof for the opposite, the "humans made it with what they had" IS the simplest explanation by rule. So it's really not your place to imply some people oppose certain ideas simply because they don't wish to wander out of their comfort zones.

Matt, as I said, it is your right to believe in extraterrestial intervention and I or hopefully anybody else don't wish to take it away from you. I personally would be thrilled if it turned out to be true. But you can't come into a discussion like this and ignore all the contradicting evidence laid before you and keep going around in circles. As a minority, give credit to other ideas even if you disagree with them, and you'll see far more people acting tolerant towards yours.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Finn said:
I'm sorry, but to come to a conclusion like this requires some overly one-minded thinking riddled with shortcuts. As stated before, any extraterrestial visitors must have access to technology our current knowledge of simple physics can't even comprehend.

All constructions of the past justly reflect the level of technology people of those times have had at their use. It is certainly possible to use "slaves and ropes" to build pyramids like the ones in Giza. This has been scientifically proven with empirical tests. Of course, it is certainly even more easier to build with our current level of technology when we cranes and concrete and trucks and stuff.

However, do we use this tech to build pyramids? Nope, we use it to build skyscrapers with electricity, elevators, plumbing and all kinds of other conveniences an ancient Egyptian couldn't even dream about.

So, seriously. You're telling us that the simpler explanation according to Occam's razor and any other law of logic out there for the existence of certain grand constructions is that we've had visitors with access to technology far superior than anything we've ever seen or even find plausible, and they use it to put together... a triangular pile of rocks?

Sure, they could have been careful not leaving behind any tech too advanced for humans of the time not to cause a twist in their natural progression or something. But without any solid proof, this theory is nothing more than wild speculation, or if we wish to express it extra harsh, fan wank. It might be commendable for a Hollywood writer to come up with something like this since it covers plot holes, but has very little room in the field of science.

You are naturally free to believe whatever you want. But unless we come across some kind of anachronistic technology that is clearly far more advanced than its apparent age that acts as practical proof for the opposite, the "humans made it with what they had" IS the simplest explanation by rule. So it's really not your place to imply some people oppose certain ideas simply because they don't wish to wander out of their comfort zones.

Finn, I've noticed you've been shedding the moderate voice and speaking your mind across a few threads in the last couple of days.

I'm sensing some tension. Now tell me about your mother...

But seriously, you speak the kind of grounded sense that's a relief to hear.

Finn said:
Matt, as I said, it is your right to believe in extraterrestial intervention and I or hopefully anybody else don't wish to take it away from you.

That's as near to a fact as we can ever get - not that some don't want to take it away, but that they can't take it away. All we can offer is words expressing an alternate view. Like religion and belief it's an argument without a forseeable end.

Finn said:
I personally would be thrilled if it turned out to be true. But you can't come into a discussion like this and ignore all the contradicting evidence laid before you and keep going around in circles. As a minority, give credit to other ideas even if you disagree with them, and you'll see far more people acting tolerant towards yours.

Yes. And directly to Matt deMille: if you really have seen strange things, do those things indicate without doubt the reality that aliens visited us in ancient times?

You began this thread after expressing your knowledge of the ancient alien reality. How do you confirm this "reality"? Unless the evidence of your own experiences extends to providing much more than you've already revealed.

If there is no more personal evidence, then the evidence you provide is still opposed by theories emanating from the mainstream. While there are at least two opposing theories offering verifiable evidence, then reality is in doubt on both sides of the fence.

Matt deMille

For Finn and Montana: Well, I don't mean to be confrontational, and I hope the post isn't taken that way, but there doesn't seem to be a way to address your questions without risking it. Bear with me;

I did begin this thread with the intention of discussing only possibilities. Many posters quickly twisted that around. For example, when I said "facts" in the initial post, I said "things others can investigate for themselves". That didn't mean necessarily alien relics. It meant ALL facts, like the alignment of ancient monuments, their erosion, the mainstream evidence (or lack thereof). I mean, many who simply look at the traditional evidence alone, such as the pyramids' alignment to Orion, come to ponder the alien-link based on that alone. I'm not sayin' their right, but they didn't need to look at an alien craft to get there. I.E. my use of the word "facts" referred to many, many things. Not necessarily aliens themselves.

As for my personal experiences, I do indeed have more to offer. I stopped that story because many unreasonable posters were turning it into a circus. It was difficult enough to talk so openly about such personal things, without the flaming. If maturity and respect resumes and remains, I'd certainly be willing to discuss them further. However, I cannot say that my personal experiences can "prove" anything, since the experience itself cannot be proven. Unfortunately. It is, like so many human endeavors, evidence only in testimony. The greater benefits of it are being able to see things from a perspective others do not, to offer new looks at old evidence, or offer new places to look for evidence. It is incumbent on science, researchers, etc. to consider new perspectives (mine or others'), however, since they are the ones who will "verify" it. After all, given the behavior of some posters here, if I personally had possession of a cosmic tablet that backed the AA-hypothesis 100%, I'd be told I'm not a scientist so somehow the evidence is invalid. So, I offer the theories, the possibilities, and then let the diggers do the digging.

Altogether though, I am here to discuss possibilities only. That's all I ever wanted. My initial post says that. In fact, it also says aliens *may* be responsible for some ancient works, and that I believe they are, but I do not outright say they are without a doubt. "It leaves the door open", I said. I also suggested, as equally probable, a more ancient but vanished civilization of humankind being responsible for some ancient works.

Again, I am sorry if that sounded confrontational. There's just been so much deliberate attempt by others to derail the thread because they don't happen to like me personally or the AA-hypothesis that many a reasonable argument for it has been mired and lost in flaming. I hope this can get things back on track.

Bottom line: I say ancient aliens is a theory. I believe it, yes. I ask people to consider the possibilities and what evidence points in that direction. And, should science have to bend over backwards to make a current theory work (such as Giza, with the copper fit doors no records speak of, with the erosion redating the monuments, etc.), one must ask themself, at what point does forcing all these unaccounted-for factors to fit current theory become less probable than someone/something else had a hand in it?

Whew! Such a lot to say. I do want to point out, though, that I welcome both your posts (Finn and Montana). Being the opponent I am of religion, I can easily see myself from the perspective of others. It's good to have beliefs challenged. It prevents them from becoming just wishful-thinking. I would certainly hate to see ufology become just another religion (although, to millions, it already has, and that is indeed sad). I'm sure I look like a kook to many, and that's a cross I'm prepared to bear. I just want to throw out there food for thought, and what evidence spices it up. Solid, good questions are welcomed. And, as I've said many times before, believe me, I do NOT like the idea of alien intervention, in ancient times or present. It's a very uncomfortable thing to think about. I'd rather have it dismissed, but, in order to dispel what I've seen, it would take some mondo good arguments. So please, bring 'em on!

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Spooky" deMille]Bottom line: I say ancient aliens is a theory. I believe it, yes. I ask people to consider the possibilities and what evidence points in that direction. And, should science have to bend over backwards to make a current theory work (such as Giza, with the copper fit doors no records speak of, with the erosion redating the monuments, etc.), one must ask themself, at what point does forcing all these unaccounted-for factors to fit current theory become less probable than someone/something else had a hand in it?[/QUOTE]

Again and again and again, I have to explain this to you...

No.

Matt, you're not saying theory, you're saying fact. Time and again. And you STILL have no evidence.

And no one is saying there is any concrete explanation but YOU. You're the one forcing things to fit. Science is saying "we don't know, but bloody hell, let's find out!" and all the while you're saying "aliens."

Right this moment, there is a robot being prepped to crawl down that tunnel to find out what the hell is down there-- science.

And right this moment you're saying "aliens used it for antenna" or whatever crackpot idea you're pushing about it.

You're the one forcing, Matt. You, you you. And you only.

[QUOTE="Spooky" deMille]I'm sure I look like a kook to many, and that's a cross I'm prepared to bear.[/QUOTE]

Man, you're worse than Mel Gibson with this martyr complex of yours. Get over yourself.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JHdlhUfJ5qc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JHdlhUfJ5qc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Gabeed

Matt deMille said:
Again, I am sorry if that sounded confrontational. There's just been so much deliberate attempt by others to derail the thread because they don't happen to like me personally or the AA-hypothesis that many a reasonable argument for it has been mired and lost in flaming. I hope this can get things back on track.

"I'm sorry, but it's those other guys' faults."

Look, you willingly and probably knowingly dove into this when in your first, original post, you said that the facts that the scientific community holds to is a "rigged game." How dismissive, ignorant, and insulting. So stop making it seem like we're a bunch of terrorists trying to limit your free speech.

You will get much less flak by asking questions and admit that you're not an expert in the fields you're discussing.

Matt deMille

Ya know, Gabeed, that's interesting. *I* have to be an expert in these fields to discuss them? Neither you nor the rest of the "gang" seems to be. What are YOUR scientific credentials? Or anyone else's on this site? I don't hear you demanding that they have formal training to discuss the topics that they do. Do you hold anyone else in this thread accountable by scientific credentials? All they do is cite sources, same as I do. Or for that matter, why is anybody allowed on this site to discuss the Indiana Jones movies? Were they part of those productions? Are they feature film-makers at all? To say I need to be scientist to discuss this is absurd, unless you are going to be fair and hold everyone else on this site to the same standard. And since you can't do that, this demand of it from me alone is ridiculous.

This is what I'm talking about: The most basic premise of science is to be objective. Neutral. That others are not held to the same standards is not neutral. Therefore, the argument of those who demand such an unfair, unbalanced thing is, in purely scientific objectivity, thrown out the window.

Matt deMille said:
Ya know, Gabeed, that's interesting. *I* have to be an expert in these fields to discuss them? Neither you nor the rest of the "gang" seems to be. What are YOUR scientific credentials? Or anyone else's on this site? I don't hear you demanding that they have formal training to discuss the topics that they do. Do you hold anyone else in this thread accountable by scientific credentials? All they do is cite sources, same as I do. Or for that matter, why is anybody allowed on this site to discuss the Indiana Jones movies? Were they part of those productions? Are they feature film-makers at all? To say I need to be scientist to discuss this is absurd, unless you are going to be fair and hold everyone else on this site to the same standard. And since you can't do that, this demand of it from me alone is ridiculous.

This is what I'm talking about: The most basic premise of science is to be objective. Neutral. That others are not held to the same standards is not neutral. Therefore, the argument of those who demand such an unfair, unbalanced thing is, in purely scientific objectivity, thrown out the window.

See Matt, this this what I am talking about-- what you're talking about. Namely that science is objective.

We agree on that now?

No, guess not. Because you're still trying to pervert what that means and again you're acting like a martyr.

We're not claiming to be experts, we're not claiming to be authorities in anything. But you are and you're brazenly dismissing science, crying for objectivity and yet you're not yourself remaining objective. You dismiss the fundamental tenets of science under false pretenses. We're asking for your credentials because you clearly think you're enough of an authority to simply say that science is wrong. Science can't be wrong, Matt. Theories can be outdated, but science itself is not wrong. You say science is stuck in its ways-- it cannot be because it is about asking questions to evolve ideas. Science is asking questions. Science is not "the pyramids are this," it's a system of questions in an effort to disprove the function of the pyramids. It looks for valid, testable questions. Questions to which a conclusion can be made, under which there is a preponderance of evidence. The question was posed "were the pyramids religious monuments made by workers?" So tools were found that point in that direction, other burial practices were noted that pointed in that direction, and so forth. Until there was so much evidence that it was difficult to conclude any other way but YES.

There is a preponderance of evidence against the question "were aliens involved?"

What you see as "evidence" is what you're shoe-horning into the question, Matt.

So let me see your credentials.

Montana Smith

Matt deMille said:

I don't follow the line that you have to be an expert in a particular field to speak about it. Ideas can come from anywhere.

Also, I didn't mean that you would be able to prove your personal experiences to anyone else. I meant whether your personal experiences proved the ancient alien angle to you. That is, did those experiences indicate the ancient alien reality that you claimed (in the beginning, though that first post seems a long time ago, there wasn't doubt or possibility, but your assertion of a fact).

Or, as I suspect, your experiences made you conclude that the ancient alien intervention was an almost certainty, coupled with your study of it. So personal alien experience plus theories = your almost certainty? This would leave the idea open as a theory, as you seem to now be explaining.

Finn

Staff member
All right, gang. Seriously. You should all take good deep glances down the mirror.

I hate putting up my own tail especially as an example for proper behavior, but humor me for a moment and look at the recent responses Matt deMille here has given that are directed to a) yours truly and Montana Smith, and then b) ResidentAlien and Gabeed. Every one of us four individuals mentioned disagree with him on this subject, but despite that you'll notice a huge difference in his tones when it comes to general respect between examples A and B.

I and the rest of the upkeep keep an eye on this hot topic and its progression very closely. And honestly, at least I am slowly starting to think that the source of all this heat and problems is in someplace else than Mr. deMille's end of the line.

Matt deMille

Ahh, good question Montana.

My personal experiences did not convince me of ancient alien intervention in our world. In fact, my experiences didn't convince me of anything specific, but rather, they opened my mind and made me question things. After seeing things that nobody had the slightest explanation for, I had to say "Well, there's more going on here than grown-ups know" (I was a kid at the time). That stayed with me, and helped me see more and more how much of our "certainties in society" are really just presumptions, preferences, or band-aid explanations. By contrast, I had a friend who was raised in a very religious, very military-career household, so he was brought up to believe "absolutes", and thus couldn't see possibilities AT ALL. For example, he didn't believe there was a Roswell Incident. I'm not saying he didn't believe it was alien. I'm saying he disbelieved there was an incident, period (to him, it wasn't even a weather balloon) simply because the Air Force said "nothing happened".

We're programmed from an early age to be open or closed to possibilities. To varying degrees. And while we can change those degrees with effort, many don't. In my case, I was opened wide from the get-go.

Now, certainly by studying the ancient world (born originally out of liking Indiana Jones), my more open perspective began to see that some pieces of the puzzle just didn't fit. So, naturally, I asked questions. It was this research, reading ALL PERSPECTIVES, that I came down on the side of ancient aliens. And, being more or less Christian myself at the time (my mother was, and I wanted to respect her), I certainly wasn't biased in favor of aliens. If anything, I was looking for ways to support the Bible's traditional claims. That the alien evidence turned me from a love-devoted religion should speak much to just how convincing a lot of that evidence truly is.

To be honest, I didn't arrive at an ancient alien hypothesis until very late in my questioning. School said things that didn't make sense, so I started researching it for myself, looking for better answers. But I stayed within the mainstream concept (i.e. the people history says built these things did indeed build them -- I was just wondering "how"). It wasn't until I was in my early 20's or so (pre-Stargate, mind you) that it occurred to me -- Whoa, maybe the ancients DIDN'T build them. But then, who did? Someone must have. They're there, after all. But who?

At that time, I was still grappling with what I encountered in my youth being aliens rather than ghosts (children will say "ghost" but not "alien", at least back then, and so was my perception colored). But the more I thought about aliens, the more they seemed to account for, well, everything, indeed all the questions I had already raised about the ancients (including, but not limited to, the anomalies in the Giza site).

Sharkey

Finn said:
All right, gang. Seriously. You should all take good deep glances down the mirror.

I hate putting up my own tail especially as an example for proper behavior, but humor me for a moment and look at the recent responses Matt deMille here has given that are directed to a) yours truly and Montana Smith, and then b) ResidentAlien and Gabeed. Every one of us four individuals mentioned disagree with him on this subject, but despite that you'll notice a huge difference in his tones when it comes to general respect between examples A and B.

I and the rest of the upkeep keep an eye on this hot topic and its progression very closely. And honestly, at least I am slowly starting to think that the source of all this heat and problems is in someplace else than Mr. deMille's end of the line.
You have faith fighting science once again. I like the battle of wills. Science continues to ask the questions and faith continues to steer the discussion. Its been he best drama and I've learned more about the personalities here and how people think then anywhere. I rarely see science rants.

Blood in the water.

Finn

Staff member
Sharkey said:
You have faith fighting science once again. I like the battle of wills. Science continues to ask the questions and faith continues to steer the discussion. Its been he best drama and I've learned more about the personalities here and how people think then anywhere. I rarely see science rants.

Blood in the water.
Indeed we have. However, I'm content enough with my own views of the world that I couldn't give a rat's bottoms which side is winning a message board argument. As a moderator to one however, it is my obligation to care that all people participating in it are smiling on the outside despite twisting rules on the inside.

Once we have that in order, then I'm all for looking who's going to come out on top.

Gabeed

Matt deMille said:
Ya know, Gabeed, that's interesting. *I* have to be an expert in these fields to discuss them?

No, of course not (Reread my sentence, please!). I'm saying you're acting like one, and yet you don't know an Egyptian sarcophagus from a bathtub. For all the research/"questioning" you've said to have done in order to conclude with the ancient alien theory, you seem to know very, very little.

And Finn, I maintain what I say. As a person who has indeed come from a formal education in history and archaeology, and has done archaeological work in the field, I found Matt's boldfaced derision towards any facts from the scientific community right out of the gate with his first post dismissive, ignorant and insulting. And his apology, though glad I would be to potentially accept it, seems to smack more of "if it weren't for those meddling kids, I would've been completely reasonable and rational" is more of that same condescending tone. Rationality wasn't present from the get-go.

Edit: Not that I'm requiring or demanding a real apology, of course. I'd just prefer if the guy would just acknowledge that he's uninformed as pretty much everyone else can plainly see. I certainly don't know crap about quantum mechanics, which is why I had to bring a friend in. ;)

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Matt deMille said:
Ahh, good question Montana.

My personal experiences did not convince me of ancient alien intervention in our world. In fact, my experiences didn't convince me of anything specific, but rather, they opened my mind and made me question things. After seeing things that nobody had the slightest explanation for, I had to say "Well, there's more going on here than grown-ups know" (I was a kid at the time). That stayed with me, and helped me see more and more how much of our "certainties in society" are really just presumptions, preferences, or band-aid explanations. By contrast, I had a friend who was raised in a very religious, very military-career household, so he was brought up to believe "absolutes", and thus couldn't see possibilities AT ALL. For example, he didn't believe there was a Roswell Incident. I'm not saying he didn't believe it was alien. I'm saying he disbelieved there was an incident, period (to him, it wasn't even a weather balloon) simply because the Air Force said "nothing happened".

We're programmed from an early age to be open or closed to possibilities. To varying degrees. And while we can change those degrees with effort, many don't. In my case, I was opened wide from the get-go.

Now, certainly by studying the ancient world (born originally out of liking Indiana Jones), my more open perspective began to see that some pieces of the puzzle just didn't fit. So, naturally, I asked questions. It was this research, reading ALL PERSPECTIVES, that I came down on the side of ancient aliens. And, being more or less Christian myself at the time (my mother was, and I wanted to respect her), I certainly wasn't biased in favor of aliens. If anything, I was looking for ways to support the Bible's traditional claims. That the alien evidence turned me from a love-devoted religion should speak much to just how convincing a lot of that evidence truly is.

To be honest, I didn't arrive at an ancient alien hypothesis until very late in my questioning. School said things that didn't make sense, so I started researching it for myself, looking for better answers. But I stayed within the mainstream concept (i.e. the people history says built these things did indeed build them -- I was just wondering "how"). It wasn't until I was in my early 20's or so (pre-Stargate, mind you) that it occurred to me -- Whoa, maybe the ancients DIDN'T build them. But then, who did? Someone must have. They're there, after all. But who?

At that time, I was still grappling with what I encountered in my youth being aliens rather than ghosts (children will say "ghost" but not "alien", at least back then, and so was my perception colored). But the more I thought about aliens, the more they seemed to account for, well, everything, indeed all the questions I had already raised about the ancients (including, but not limited to, the anomalies in the Giza site).

That makes things much clearer.

The problems arose in this thread as soon as it seemed clear you were claiming to know the reality of alien intervention. Whereas, it was your understanding of 'a more likely interpretation' that you were arguing for. Arguing theories is fun, and needn't be the cause for a flame war. But arguing against claims of an alternate reality is when things hot up, and where this thread takes it downward turns.

The only hurdle left then, is accepting your personal experiences. Whether each of us believes you or not. It would be hypocritical to claim you were a liar, since I have no evidence to prove it. There are plenty of reasons why we might doubt your claims. as you are all too aware. Yet, it's still possible to undertake a friendly discussion. The doubters need only assume that you have mis-interpreted your experiences.

It's interesting that you mentioned "ghosts". As a skeptic I'm dubious of the claims of ghosts, yet my dad used to work in an old building in Salisbury with several flights of stone steps. He and his workmates could hear the footsteps of anyone coming to their workshop. On some occasions they'd hear the steps but there'd be nobody there. Sometimes they'd go out onto the landing and wait, but nobody would appear. So if it was a ghost they never caught it in the act!

To this day he doesn't know what caused the phenomenon, and he doesn't even believe in ghosts. It's just something unexplained. I've known this story since I was a child, but to my dad and his workmates it was just something they came to accept. It puts me in a fix, as I know he's not lying, but he can't explain it. So I don't know whether it was just something with a natural explanation or whether it really was a ghost, or an 'echo' from the past.

Whether or not you mis-interpreted your own experiences is something we aren't going to know, so to continue the discussion we have to accept that something happened to you.

Stoo

Goonie said:
I guess no one told Daniken that a proper laser show requires Pink Floyd music! (and the contents of that brief case Johnny Depp had at the beginning of Fear and Loathing) ;) No wonder this place failed. Just watch the video:
:eek: :rolleyes:
(Edited to save bandwidth: See page 30, post #441 for Goonie's video)
Montana Smith said:
Well, of all the subjects to come up on your Roman Holiday!

I didn't know Daeniken had his own theme park. I can almost smell the Swiss cheese from here!:hat:
Gabeed said:
Woohoo! Why bother with silly things like museums when you can learn everything you need to know about history and archaeology from Von Daniken's amusement park? Also, if you read the Wikipedia article for "Mystery Park," it states that upon its opening a Swiss scientist labelled the park as a "cultural Chernobyl." Hilarious.
Just in case anyone is foaming out the mouth for more discussion on Ancient Aliens, here's a thread about the now-defunct theme park in La Suisse: Mystery Park - Interlaken
Matt deMille said:
I did begin this thread with the intention of...
You may not have noticed yesterday's change but time-raider began this thread. It used to be called, "Ancient Alien Theory", but his previous topic was revived (by me) and then merged into yours (by an unknown moderator).
Matt deMille said:
And, as I've said many times before, believe me, I do NOT like the idea of alien intervention, in ancient times or present. It's a very uncomfortable thing to think about. I'd rather have it dismissed, but, in order to dispel what I've seen, it would take some mondo good arguments. So please, bring 'em on!
1) Re: "mondo good arguments". From the ley lines to the paintings to the pyramids, that's what this conversation has been - "good arguments".
2) Re: "in order to dispel what I've seen". Is your intention for this thread to have Raven members convince you that you DID NOT meet aliens? If not, why did you start a thread on a subject you wish to dismiss?