TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #26
XanaduEli
IndyFan
 
XanaduEli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coventry, England
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild
Yes, MTV and Vh1 are almost DEAD. Completely DEAD. Let's hope History Channel, Food Network, PBS and Discovery can stay out of this death net that Disney, MTV, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, USA, TBS and so many other networks have gotten stuck in.

What about CBBC? and Cbeebies? (British TV channels)

They literally have dumped all of the original shows and have replaced them with garbage.
XanaduEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #27
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMel
What about CBBC? and Cbeebies? (British TV channels)

They literally have dumped all of the original shows and have replaced them with garbage.

Are the Chuckle Brothers still going? They were quite scary, almost as creepy as Ronald McDonald, a.k.a. It.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #28
XanaduEli
IndyFan
 
XanaduEli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coventry, England
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Are the Chuckle Brothers still going? They were quite scary, almost as creepy as Ronald McDonald, a.k.a. It.

They sure are, I used to love the chuckle brothers. I was always a huge fan of Brum and Come outside.

I think I can remember what Cbeebies was before it changed it's name. I am sure That CBBC and Cbeebies were the same channel at that time.
XanaduEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #29
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMel
They sure are, I used to love the chuckle brothers. I was always a huge fan of Brum and Come outside.

I think I can remember what Cbeebies was before it changed it's name. I am sure That CBBC and Cbeebies were the same channel at that time.

I remember when Roland Rat took over kids'' TV on ITV, presenting from his shed on the roof! Ah, those were the days. Long summers in the company of ancient Roger Ramjet repeats, Sport Billy and Danger Mouse..
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #30
XanaduEli
IndyFan
 
XanaduEli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coventry, England
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I remember when Roland Rat took over kids'' TV on ITV, presenting from his shed on the roof! Ah, those were the days. Long summers in the company of ancient Roger Ramjet repeats, Sport Billy and Danger Mouse..

I miss Danger Mouse and Roland Rat
XanaduEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #31
Canyon
IndyFan
 
Canyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Originally from the UK but now living in Pennsylvania, USA!!!
Posts: 2,212
That reminds me. Anyone 'old' enough here to remember the Mickey Mouse Club? (I used to watch it here in the Uk when I was about eight).

Back on topic though. I personally think that this made for a pretty good post. Awesome work, RedeemedChild Have you thought about posting that on a blog?
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #32
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMel
I miss Danger Mouse and Roland Rat

Roland was interviewed 'live' from Hollywood recently () and he seems to be doing well for himself. Not sure about Kevin the Gerbil, though. (Or Gordon the Gopher, for that matter).
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #33
XanaduEli
IndyFan
 
XanaduEli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coventry, England
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Roland was interviewed 'live' from Hollywood recently () and he seems to be doing well for himself. Not sure about Kevin the Gerbil, though. (Or Gordon the Gopher, for that matter).

My Mother and I are good friends with Roland rat on Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon
That reminds me. Anyone 'old' enough here to remember the Mickey Mouse Club? (I used to watch it here in the Uk when I was about eight).

I used to watch repeats when I was younger.

Nothing beats the good old British shows..
XanaduEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #34
RedeemedChild
IndyFan
 
RedeemedChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMel
They sure are, I used to love the chuckle brothers. I was always a huge fan of Brum and Come outside.

I think I can remember what Cbeebies was before it changed it's name. I am sure That CBBC and Cbeebies were the same channel at that time.

CBBC and Cbeebies along with Noggin were like the best back in the good days. Now I don't know what to say for them, except pray for better days.
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #35
XanaduEli
IndyFan
 
XanaduEli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coventry, England
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild
CBBC and Cbeebies along with Noggin were like the best back in the good days. Now I don't know what to say for them, except pray for better days.

Oh most definitely.
XanaduEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #36
The_Raiders
IndyFan
 
The_Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long View Texas
Posts: 2,099
Not being a fan of Disney, I'm going to have to agree with RA. Disney was good back in the day, but it all sucks now. That is that.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #37
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan
 
Forbidden Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: With the Treasure of Mara...
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
The irony is that this is a goddamn INDIANA JONES BOARD. Indiana Jones is supposed to be the mascot, not Mickey.

Ah, but Disney and Indiana Jones have a cousin-like relationship though as this demonstrates. Not only does Disney have numerous IJ representations through-out the park, but Disney was a huge influence on Lucas and Spielberg, from Carl Barks' comic books to the theme park attractions. Heck, without Disneyland, no Temple of Doom mine-cart sound-effects. So I don't see how one thread about Disney hurts anyone.

Anyways as my user-name shows, I owe a lot of my fandom of Indiana Jones(and most things) to Disney. At one point of my life, I was hugely obsessed with Disney. But for several reasons(RC somewhat taps a couple of them)I only have a passing interest for Disney now(thanks to Pixar, the theme parks, nostalgia and an occasional interesting project they have) but the more and more Disney thinks its fanbase are just little kids and "tweens" the less interest I have in the company.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #38
RedeemedChild
IndyFan
 
RedeemedChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMel
I used to watch repeats when I was younger.

Nothing beats the good old British shows..

Oh, yes, nothing beats Britain! Have you the BBC's Doctor Who Series 5, Merlin and Robin Hood? Those are like best of the best when it comes to British entertainment.
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #39
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan
 
Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
So I don't see how one thread about Disney hurts anyone.

The thing is people who frequent this board know RedeemedChild ONLY talks about Disney. No, scratch that, video games/turning video games into movies/christianity/Disney. He has started a great many threads on these subjects, the same subjects... Hell even the moderators are thinking of pulling the plug on his membership here. http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=20382

A lot of people here understand Resident Alien's frustration.

Last edited by Dr. Gonzo : 09-01-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #40
AlivePoet
IndyFan
 
AlivePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada (living in Seoul, Korea)
Posts: 598
To be fair he's posted in a few KotCS and Lego Indy threads...

AlivePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #41
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
The thing is people who frequent this board know RedeemedChild ONLY talks about Disney. No, scratch that, video games/turning video games into movies/christianity/Disney. He has started a great many threads on these subjects, the same subjects... Hell even the moderators are thinking of pulling the plug on his membership here. http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=20382

A lot of people here understand Resident Alien's frustration.


Quite so. Very frustrating.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #42
Agent Crab
IndyFan
 
Agent Crab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Creepy Gopher Hole
Posts: 1,256
Hovitos Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild
I really miss Lloyd in Space, House of Mouse, Duck Tales, Chip and Dale and of course the more recent American Dragon: Jake Long.

American Dragon and Llyod in Space sucks. The Lion King Show is called Timon and Pumbaa, one of the better shows that aired on Fox and CBS. Some shows like Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck and Duck Tales were good. I ignor ethe other Disney shows. The only orginal new aged Disney show that was good was Dave the Barbarian.

Don't like the channel now? Don't pay attention to it. All you talk about is video games that no one cares about, anime crap and so on. No one really cares. If you wanna talk about anime or video games; head to Gaia Online or any other soical networking forum.

After all. You wanted a Star Fox movie/show/ It would just be a furry Star Wars/Trek.

No wonder I lurk here...

Last edited by Agent Crab : 09-02-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #43
Agent Crab
IndyFan
 
Agent Crab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Creepy Gopher Hole
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild
Kingdom Hearts could and should be gleamed for both a movie trilogy and an anime television series. I'd sit down and watch a Kingdom Hearts movie or TV show in a heartbeat. Disney Channel cannot survive off of live action immature girly sitcoms and not only that but it's unfair to Disney fans. Animation is a key element in Disney's history and there should be more quality animated programming as part of the Disney Channel airing roster. Uncle Walt is rolling in his grave at the very thought of his television channel being a immature girly television House of Miley Cyrus channel instead of the House of Mouse Disney Channel.
Disney Channel should also get a Epic Mickey tie-in television series. That would be a good way of helping to introducing Mickey Mouse to those children who THINK that Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas are the Disney mascots.

Parrdon me posting again. What is your obession of wnating every video game as a TV show?

Kingdom Hearts is a pile of dog vomit.

Sorry, but Kingdom Hearts is a giggly-preteen fanfiction video game. The game series is poorly written. It's a Yaoi cesspool. Sora isn't an intresting character, nor is Riku, Kairi or anyone. The characters are pretty much the same and lack perosnailty and charm. Why do you want Every frickin' video game made into a god damn TV show? If you want entertainment out of these, go write fanfiction or read fanfiction.

Children do know of Mickey Mouse. You're splitting hairs and sayin' that today's kids don't know about it. Mickey and friends are on children's clothing, baby bottles, bedding and crib bedding items and so on.

SO what if a child likes the Jonas brothers. It's THIER Opinion, their likes. I am sure you like some crap that others people don't.
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #44
Lance Quazar
IndyFan
 
Lance Quazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lost
Posts: 1,887
Viewed through the rosy lenses of nostalgia, everyone's memories of childhood feel superior to whatever the "latest crap" is.

There were plenty of lousy shows back in the day, too, and plenty of good shows now.

But, at a certain point, it's time to move on. You're too old to be watching the Disney Channel.

It's time to cultivate more sophisticated tastes and "put away childish things."
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #45
RedeemedChild
IndyFan
 
RedeemedChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
Viewed through the rosy lenses of nostalgia, everyone's memories of childhood feel superior to whatever the "latest crap" is.

There were plenty of lousy shows back in the day, too, and plenty of good shows now.

But, at a certain point, it's time to move on. You're too old to be watching the Disney Channel.

It's time to cultivate more sophisticated tastes and "put away childish things."

Actually many young adults watch channels like Disney and Cartoon Network. If you go to any College such as Full Sail University, Savannah College of Art or Ai the majority of the students are enthusiastic for things like the Disney Channel, Food Network, Cartoon Network and anime and manga as these things make up the modern media arts which fuels just about everything about us today.

To be quite honest many of the programs airing on Disney or Disney XD, Cartoon Network, The CW and SyFy Channel are not simply aimed at children or tweens but at young adults as well.

Stargate, Stargate Universe, Ben10, Adventure Time, Bleach, The Vampire Diaries and Smallville, Young Justice and many more are aimed at a broad audience and not simply children. If you guys were aware of such things as Comic Con and E3 then you'd know that.

Last edited by RedeemedChild : 09-02-2010 at 07:20 PM.
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #46
RedeemedChild
IndyFan
 
RedeemedChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon
That reminds me. Anyone 'old' enough here to remember the Mickey Mouse Club? (I used to watch it here in the Uk when I was about eight).

Back on topic though. I personally think that this made for a pretty good post. Awesome work, RedeemedChild Have you thought about posting that on a blog?

Thanks Canyon. I plan to rewrite it and post it in the newspapers here in Atlanta, GA. I've also posted it on various different boards and many people have been encouraging me to send it off to Disney but I'm not really sure if I'll do so just yet. I want to wait until I've visited Disney later this year and talk to some of the people there first.
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #47
Agent Crab
IndyFan
 
Agent Crab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Creepy Gopher Hole
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild

To be quite honest many of the programs airing on Disney or Disney XD, Cartoon Network, The CW and SyFy Channel are not simply aimed at children or tweens but at young adults as well.


Naruto is geared for Children here and in Japan. Hell, they have Naruto Happy Meal toys in some countries, kid sized Ninja bands and child sized Naruto T-Shirts. Most animes are geared for children in Japan. DBZ and Bleach are to name a few. Only uptight anime snobs simpily say those are "mature shows" because of it's violence and content. Stuff like Tom and erry, Woody Wood Pecker, Tex Avery and Looney Toons had far more violence than pretty boys staring at each other with limited animation.

Stop your yammering about anime and video games here, RC. No one really cares. I GREW out of anime.
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #48
Lance Quazar
IndyFan
 
Lance Quazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lost
Posts: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild
Actually many young adults watch channels like Disney and Cartoon Network. If you go to any College such as Full Sail University, Savannah College of Art or Ai the majority of the students are enthusiastic for things like the Disney Channel, Food Network, Cartoon Network and anime and manga as these things make up the modern media arts which fuels just about everything about us today.


Yes, there are always going to be certain "kids shows" that are smart enough and are written for a broad audience. In its day, the original Warner Bros. cartoons like "Looney Tunes" had sophisticated humor far above the heads of a child audience.

And I even watched a few cartoons in college, too, like "Darkwing Duck" and "Batman: The Animated Series." Clearly shows clever enough to appeal to adults and children.

And there are still shows being made like that now. I don't watch many cartoons now, but I did watch "Justice League" and a few others over the years.

But that's not what you were talking about, is it?

Quote:
The programs Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Hannah Montana, The Cheetah Girls, Cory in the House, That's So Raven, Sunny With A Chance, Good Luck Charlie, Camp Rock and High School Musical make my stomach churn and twist as if some unpleasant and vile stomach virus were about to take me on a roller coaster ride of misery.

NONE of those shows are for anything beyond a very narrow demographic.

If you're not a ten year old girl, you should have NO interest in "Hannah Montanta" (off the air now, FYI) or any of these other programs.

I repeat myself - develop more sophisticated, more adult tastes. Stop worrying about kids' shows.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #49
The_Raiders
IndyFan
 
The_Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long View Texas
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Crab
Naruto is geared for Children here and in Japan. Hell, they have Naruto Happy Meal toys in some countries, kid sized Ninja bands and child sized Naruto T-Shirts. Most animes are geared for children in Japan. DBZ and Bleach are to name a few. Only uptight anime snobs simpily say those are "mature shows" because of it's violence and content. Stuff like Tom and erry, Woody Wood Pecker, Tex Avery and Looney Toons had far more violence than pretty boys staring at each other with limited animation.

Stop your yammering about anime and video games here, RC. No one really cares. I GREW out of anime.


That's about everything I could think of saying but better. Anime sucks. Guys look like girls, and girls look like they just got every lady lump on their body full of plastic. It all sucks.
And RC with the video games to TV shows thing, if you want entertainment out of them that bad than you must have played the **** out of them to not be content with just the game alone. Most games that are made into film, or shows of some sort are always horrible and stupid. The majority of games just need to stay games. That's how they were made and that's how they are intended to stay.
And I'm not even going into my Disney opinion now.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #50
Agent Crab
IndyFan
 
Agent Crab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Creepy Gopher Hole
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
Yes, there are always going to be certain "kids shows" that are smart enough and are written for a broad audience. In its day, the original Warner Bros. cartoons like "Looney Tunes" had sophisticated humor far above the heads of a child audience.

And I even watched a few cartoons in college, too, like "Darkwing Duck" and "Batman: The Animated Series." Clearly shows clever enough to appeal to adults and children.

And there are still shows being made like that now. I don't watch many cartoons now, but I did watch "Justice League" and a few others over the years.

But that's not what you were talking about, is it?



NONE of those shows are for anything beyond a very narrow demographic.

If you're not a ten year old girl, you should have NO interest in "Hannah Montanta" (off the air now, FYI) or any of these other programs.

I repeat myself - develop more sophisticated, more adult tastes. Stop worrying about kids' shows.
He *****es about anime being better, when Anime is geared for children. DBZ, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach are all geared for children in Japan and children outside the country.

RC needs to put away his anime BS and grow up. He needs to stop whining that Disney Channel has stuff like Hannah Montana, Suite life of Zack and Cody and so on. He may not like it, but there are people who do. Does it harm anyone?
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.