Things you only noticed this week on the BIG screens

Goodeknight

So I was looking forward to seeing new details with Indy on the big, BIG screen, and I did.

I never noticed there are images of Egyptians carrying the Ark of the Covenant on the walls of the map room. And I'd never seen the C-3PO and R2-D2 hieroglyphs so clearly.

In the Chacapoyan temple at the very beginning, I noticed a very minor continuity error. From behind, Indy's collar is down, but in the shots with the tarantulas crawling all around, his collar is sometimes up against his neck.

There were a few others that have slipped my mind since Friday. Mainly, though, I just enjoyed seeing all the details like the blankets and baskets in the marketplace, the texture of old doors, and things like that.

Not the sharpest thing I've ever seen on IMAX for obvious reasons, but WOW!!

Anyone else notice anything at the theater recently (besides noticing the small crowds...)?

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
I know I'm the only one who noticed the roaring lion during the truck chase...

Are you referring to an actual lion roar mixed in for a good sound effect?

Perhaps I should have said "Things you only noticed on the BIG screens and BIG speakers." They really do blow you away. :gun: When the boulder rolls, it's nice to feel the rumble deep in your chest.

LeHah

Maybe this is the wrong thread for it but...

I saw Raiders on IMAX this weekend. Did anyone notice some color tweaking? The color pallet was definitely off - faces in brighter sequences were orange, as was the desert sand during the truck chase, the idol and the ark were more "bright yellow" than gold - but it could've been the projectionist's settings of the film and not the stock its self.

Forbidden Eye

One thing new I noticed watching it on the big screen that I just thought about:

When Belloq is doing his whole "This is history!" speech, I noticed that there was a single noticeable sweet coming down his face. Was this sweet simply the fact it was hot, or was the intent to show that deep down, Belloq was nervous Indy could blow up the ark and decided to simply take the bold chance anyway?

HenryJunior

The little bead of sweat? Yeah little things like that we're much sharper in IMAX, but I think it was visible before. That canyon was filmed in Tunisia during late summer, so I believe that was just natural sweat.

This past weekend was the first time I've seen Raiders in the theater and it was an absolute blast, I've seen it dozens of time on DVD, but it was like a mental re-birth seeing it in the theater. Scenes I know backwards and forwards we're still a delight and hearing a live audience chuckle at all the familiar gags (Satipo covered in spiders, The Cairo Swordsman getting shot, etc...) For some reason the Desert and Cairo scenes looked the best in IMAX, probably due to the better lighting than the dark jungle scenes.

Yeah the detail in the eyes of the Idol was new, the clearness of the matte paintings was beautiful, too much cool stuff this past weekend.
:whip:

Here comes the marathon!

Goodeknight

Dr. Gonzo said:
Could this not have just been posted in the imax thread??????
Well, since it's specifically about things people noticed, and not the general "Indy on IMAX" topic, no. And since in three days it will also include things people noticed about Raiders, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, and Crystal Skull on normal big screens, then no again.

HenryJunior said:
Scenes I know backwards and forwards we're still a delight and hearing a live audience chuckle at all the familiar gags (Satipo covered in spiders, The Cairo Swordsman getting shot, etc...)

I enjoyed hearing a few people behind me chuckle a few seconds before all the main gags. I knew I was with fellow fans.

goodeknight said:
Are you referring to an actual lion roar mixed in for a good sound effect? Perhaps I should have said "Things you only noticed on the BIG screens and BIG speakers." They really do blow you away. :gun: When the boulder rolls, it's nice to feel the rumble deep in your chest.
NO, the ACTUAL lion!

But no I really meant the roar...
HenryJunior said:
The little bead of sweat? Yeah little things like that we're much sharper in IMAX, but I think it was visible before.
YES! Very cool, and I'm sure they were visible if you have a quality A/V setup at home.

I was reminded of the very first episode of Cheers where they appauled a dainty fresh eyed Diane Chambers with a Sweatiest Movie conversation...I think Raiders just beat Cool Hand Luke!
Dr. Gonzo said:
Could this not have just been posted in the imax thread??????
Nah...as long as it doesn't go too far off track its a cool topic, though I think I saw someone with a similar / earlier thread...hell I put a bunch in the Trivia Thread, (and no one has stepped up to the plate yet!).

Did anyone else notice the Lion's Roar?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Did anyone else notice the Lion's Roar?

I didn't. Forgot to watch for it.

Anyhow, there are some things that were new to me:

-I finally saw R2D2 and C3PO.
-I'd never noticed Sallah walking between Belloq and Dietrich before. Picking up information?
-Indy says "Don't fall!" to Marion while she's hanging onto the Osiris statue.
-Marion looks down and closes her eyes a bit while Katanga's talking about how she'd fetch a good price where they're headed. Evidence that Allen took the "I wasn't the bartender" line into her performance?
-Indy's house in Crystal Skull having all those curios isn't that strange; there's plenty of them in this house too. These were always visible, but I hadn't paid much attention in the past.
-You can see the shore off in the background in the shot with Katanga and his First Mate in which the Mate spots Indy on the sub.

bonoferox

I still wasn't able to locate R2 and 3PO.

The only major thing I noticed this time around was the beggar with the glass/milky white eye in the streets of Cairo that was pointed out.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The shovel in the sand pile falls over when they're walking through Cairo... the sort of thing for which Spielberg wouldn't go back for another take.

At the pier, Marion looks more windblown than when last seen, dirtier outside the goggles area of her face, as if she rode in a sidecar with Sallah to get there. Oh, to read a fifth draft or confirm by the deleted scenes...

On the big screen I understand why Pauline Kael reacted like she'd just seen a Michael Bay movie: it's "like being put through a Cuisinart?something has been done to us, but not to our benefit." Indy's professional competition with Belloq is the most interesting conflict in my opinion, how Indy's scrappy bunch of diggers and pirates bests the Third Reich. Like The Great Escape, or even The Bad News Bears. And it benefits greatly in retrospect from the character development in Crusade and Crystal Skull, because here "the actors are mostly just bodies carrying pieces of plot around."

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Moedred said:
On the big screen I understand why Pauline Kael reacted like she'd just seen a Michael Bay movie: it's "like being put through a Cuisinart?something has been done to us, but not to our benefit." Indy's professional competition with Belloq is the most interesting conflict in my opinion, how Indy's scrappy bunch of diggers and pirates bests the Third Reich. Like The Great Escape, or even The Bad News Bears. And it benefits greatly in retrospect from the character development in Crusade and Crystal Skull, because here "the actors are mostly just bodies carrying pieces of plot around."

I agree. The screen is a little too large here for a human scale. You are able to catch some expressions better, but other than that, I don't think it did the film many favors.

It's interesting you call attention to "Indy's scrappy bunch," as I was fairly attuned to the extent to which the Arab diggers and pirates are pretty clearly on Indy's side. The diggers seemed pretty interested when the truck was being loaded up, at the start of the truck chase's musical cue.

Goodeknight

Attila the Professor said:
I agree. The screen is a little too large here for a human scale. You are able to catch some expressions better, but other than that, I don't think it did the film many favors.

I agree as well. Watching the opening shots in the Chacapoyan temple, for the first time ever I thought Raiders looked a bit dated -- not dated as in "30s/40s serials" but dated as in "80s set pieces." Still absolutely loved it, but I think I may actually enjoy it more just on a regular big screen tomorrow for the marathon. It will be interesting to compare the two (IMAX and normal screen). Incidentally, the IMAX I saw it on wasn't one of the huge screens, but a smaller IMAX screen.

I also really noticed the crew member in jeans and t-shirt walking thru the Cairo scene in the background. On the IMAX screen he was larger than life and stood out.

As the closing credits rolled and people stood up to leave, my 10-year-old son commented, "Those people in front look really tiny now." I found that a very humorous observation.

Moedred said:
it benefits greatly in retrospect from the character development in Crusade and Crystal Skull, because here "the actors are mostly just bodies carrying pieces of plot around."
I thank God that I didn't think of Temple or Crusade once during the film.

If I had to guess, you didn't see Raiders in the theater when it first came out...

Attila the Professor said:

Maybe in proportion to the seating/theater but I saw it in a theater not a box, before the dawn of efficient capacity seating.

The screen was every bit as big...but it was on a STAGE and the seats weren't so close to the screen.

A different experience. AND we had a few years before there was any further adventures. It seems those of us truly enjoyed the best of Indiana Jones.

goodeknight said:
I agree as well. Watching the opening shots in the Chacapoyan temple, for the first time ever I thought Raiders looked a bit dated -- not dated as in "30s/40s serials" but dated as in "80s set pieces."

I also really noticed the crew member in jeans and t-shirt walking thru the Cairo scene in the background. On the IMAX screen he was larger than life and stood out.

As the closing credits rolled and people stood up to leave, my 10-year-old son commented, "Those people in front look really tiny now." I found that a very humorous observation.

What do you mean by 80's set pieces? I cant get enough of Norman Reynolds style!

It's tough not to carry the baggage of so many viewings so seeing the t shirt and jeans was almost inevitable! Though my boy provided a decent grounding, seeing it through his eyes so to say.

Eric Solo

IMAX Viewing

bonoferox said:
I still wasn't able to locate R2 and 3PO.

They are in the scene where Indy and Sallah are pulling the Ark up out of it's stone storage box in the Well of the Souls. The hieroglyph depicting C-3PO and R2 is on a vertical beam right near Indy's head.

-I did notice thie lion roar in the truck scene. Was that a new thing?

Here are a few things I noticed in the IMAX version that I never noticed before:

-When Indy says "whiskey?" at the Raven Bar The bottle is Johnnie Walker Black Label!

-Marion is wearing open toed shoes in the Cairo outfit.

- The guy who Played Admiral Ossel in ESB was on board the sub.

- One of the life preservers on the Bantu Wind clearly has BANTU written on it.