Customizing Indy Figures

Kevin

pipecito2112YYZ said:
well, i want to make the PERFECT indy from ROTLA/TOD/LC an "further adventures of Indiana Jones"... an the DELUXE figs are just perfect!!!
but... i'm undecided, between "INDY temple TRAP" or "INDY with horse" :gun:
so, i bet youse can help me with a bit of info, an if you can, i want to see detailed pics of both, specially mugshots, the head sculpts, which of both are the best... an who else than the good Indyfans can give me a wee advice :hat:
oh, a few questions...
- pros an cons of both figures... which one is cool or better?
- it's possible to remove the dust paint of the Indy w/ Horse lower legs?
- how can i remove softy the hands of Indy with Jacket?? any tips?
- has anyone made a duplicate fedora from the INDY KOTCS?? hopefully in plastic
so, thanks for your help, an i promise a "Mystery of the blues" indy soon ;) :whip:

This site has close up pics of most of the figures released so far: http://www.cooltoyreview.com/Hasbro_IJ.asp

Between the two you mentioned, I think the Temple Trap head is better. However, if you can find a Temple Pitfall with a good paint job, then that is probably your best option. However, the Pitfall body has pretty poor articulation, so my Raiders Indy is a Pitfall head on an Indy with Horse body.

inky_skin said:
Thanks for the comments everyone.

As you all demand perfection and I'm a shameless crowd-pleaser, Belloq has lost his tan ;)

belloq2.jpg

Bonus points if you can guess who I'm prepping on the right of this picture...

It looks like the beginings of a custom Rick Deckard figure. The figures are awesome btw!

pipecito2112YYZ

Kevin said:
This site has close up pics of most of the figures released so far: http://www.cooltoyreview.com/Hasbro_IJ.asp

Between the two you mentioned, I think the Temple Trap head is better. However, if you can find a Temple Pitfall with a good paint job, then that is probably your best option. However, the Pitfall body has pretty poor articulation, so my Raiders Indy is a Pitfall head on an Indy with Horse body.

ah grand!!! i will order the Temple Trap Indy :whip:
besides, that one don't have shoulder bag :mad: the temple pitfall is too expensive an don't have a loose shoulder bag... i like the TT Indy, can hold in a classic pose ;)

pipecito2112YYZ

glorbes said:
This is a whip I made for my deluxe horse Indy figure. This was by far my favorite Indy on the pegs when they were initially released, and I wanted him to have a whip accessory:

2008_0625indywhip0005.jpg
2008_0625indywhip0001.jpg

Its made from braided, cotton covered wire, with some floral tape wrapped around the lower part to form the handle. I brushed on some brown and copper acrylic paint to give it a worn leather look. I also coated the handle in tamiya clear acrylic gloss to protect the paint from rubbing off on his hands. Its fully poseable, but perhaps a tad oversized.

The best part is, it can be coiled and hooked on his belt:
2008_0625indywhip0007.jpg

:whip: awesome whip, pal!!!
do you removed the "dust" of the lower legs? how? can you remove his gloves/hands?

bonoferox

Since we may never get him, does anyone have a recommendation for a Marcus Brody head? I was going to use the LC Indy body with the Henry Jones jacket repainted but not sure what head to use.

inky_skin

bonoferox said:
Since we may never get him, does anyone have a recommendation for a Marcus Brody head? I was going to use the LC Indy body with the Henry Jones jacket repainted but not sure what head to use.

Personally, I'm going with the head from the Rebel Honour Guard - he's in the background of the Belloq pic I posted earlier. A little grey paint around the temples should cover it, although some have said it's a better likeness of Donovan...

mister64

inky_skin said:
Personally, I'm going with the head from the Rebel Honour Guard - he's in the background of the Belloq pic I posted earlier. A little grey paint around the temples should cover it, although some have said it's a better likeness of Donovan...

What about the Naboo Soldier for Brody?
tsc050naboosoldierheadfr.jpg

Then you could use the Rebel Honour Guard for Donovan.

inky_skin

mister64 said:
What about the Naboo Soldier for Brody? Then you could use the Rebel Honour Guard for Donovan.

Nice spot ! I know some people have suggested the old Sebastian Shaw version of Anakin Skywalker for Marcus - but I don't think the sculpting style / detail is consistent with the Indy line. But the Naboo soldier - I think you may be onto something there...

My Indy custom universe is becoming increasingly populated by Star Wars fodder - first Tycho Celchu as Jock, now Mace Windu as Katanga, the Rebel Guard as Donovan and the Naboo Soldier as Marcus !

Last edited:

The Golden Idol

inky_skin said:
Nice spot ! I know some people have suggested the old Sebastian Shaw version of Anakin Skywalker for Marcus - but I don't think the sculpting style / detail is consistent with the Indy line. But the Naboo soldier - I think you may be onto something there...

My Indy custom universe is becoming increasingly populated by Star Wars fodder - first Tycho Celchu as Jock, now Mace Windu as Katanga, the Rebel Guard as Donovan and the Naboo Soldier as Marcus !

Katanga? Let's see him!!

mister64

We've got heads picked out for good Donovan and Brody customs, so what other figures are necessary for the IJ collection?

Mac- Gung-Ho head (GI-Joe) I'm not sure what figure body would work for Mac, he's fat but wouldn't look right on the Jek Porkins body (orange flight suit)

Oxley- Jan Dodonna head?, I'm not sure on the body. Perhaps just make Dodonna's body look ratty, or for Oxley after the Skull is returned just use a Henry body?

Feel free to add characters to the list or to correct the figures I've picked for these two.

inky_skin

mister64 said:
Oxley- Jan Dodonna head? Feel free to add characters to the list or to correct the figures I've picked for these two.

My recipe for Oxley would be (based on what I've got in my customising drawer)...

Head - Harry Potter Sirius Black (seriously - I have a ton of these from when I was sourcing the jackets for my various 'suit' customs)
Body - Cemetary Warrior
Poncho - soft goods

As for Mac - I was considering giving Biggs Darklighter a haircut / colour ;) Perhaps even Bo'Shek with a 'tache (a little skinny). The legs from numerous Jedi would be perfect for the high-booted look. The long, belted jacket could perhaps be sourced from a Rebel Ceremonial Guard.

As for Katanga - check back next week !

inky_skin

mister64 said:
Do the Harry Potter figures have balljointed heads for simple headswaps with Hasbro figures?

Sirius Black certainly has a ball jointed head. However, the neck post is very small, so head-swaps might take a little effort.

So - I already hinted that Donovan was on the slate. I prefer his 'canyon' outfit at the end of the movie, so that's what I went for. I know a lot of you guys will probably point out that the holster isn't present on his costume in the film - but I had the Luger left over from Henry Sr, and I like the idea of Donovan packing heat. So, until Hasbro gives us something more accurate - here's everyone's favourite turncoat Nazi-American...

donovan.jpg

Last edited:

inky_skin

bonoferox said:
Very nice! Recipe?

Head, torso (shirt), arms, lower jacket 'skirt' - Rebel Honor Guard
Legs - Belloq
Upper jacket - Harry Potter 'Sirius Black'
Tie - scratch build
Luger - Henry Sr.

glorbes

Inky, that Donovan looks amazing...and that has to be the smallest and most perfectly painted swastika I've ever seen. And despite your concerns over the Sebastian Shaw Anakin head, I have to say that I believe its the perfect choice for Marcus.

Ron Cobb's Toht
2008_0909concepttoht0008.jpg

Thanks to a fellow Ravener, I've managed to snag another Vogel for this long-awaited project. Once Vogel was announced, I immediately imagined this recipe, and it worked out pretty well, I think.

2008_0909concepttoht0001.jpg
2008_0909concepttoht0007.jpg

The recipe is Colonel Vogel and parts from a C-3P0 arm...I think it was the version that came with the Purchase of the Droids Cinema Scene. I harvested the joint from Vogel's arm, and rigged it to the Threepio parts to retain the articulation. I kept Vogel's shoulder joint as well, simply blending the Threepio bicep into it.

2008_0909concepttoht0003.jpg
2008_0909concepttoht0002.jpg

The robotic eye is a slice of styrene tube, and the monocle is styrene rod. The antenna is styrene as well. The straps are leather, and the belt buckle is from Vogel's belt, as is the gun and holster. I also resculpted the waist with epoxy putty (which means he's lost the articulation there).

2008_0909concepttoht0006.jpg
2008_0909concepttoht0004.jpg

This was lots of fun...sort of an Indy version of the McQuarrie Star Wars figures.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.