TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 04-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #501
lairdo
IndyFan

As I recall, that intro jazzy tune was composed for the show as an original. You think I would remember as I ghost supervised that episode. (You can blame me for any sfx your don't like.)

The TV end credits do not list a piece a music in any regard.

Laird
lairdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #502
MDew
IndyFan

Just ran across Al Jolson's version of "Swanee" on Wikipedia - not far off from what we heard in Young Indy!
MDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #503
Stoo
IndyFan

Key Possible Inspiration?

Could part of Joel McNeely's composition, "Lover's Farewell" (used in "Paris 1916" and the bookends to "Paris 1908"), have possibly been inspired by the trio of "Gymnopédies" by Erik Satie? I certainly think so because Satie was a Parisian piano composer at the time that those 2 episodes are set and the similarities in sound cannot be ignored.

Listen to the last half of "Lover's Farewell" on the CD soundtrack, Volume 1 (or at the very end of "Demons of Deception" on DVD ), then listen to "Gynmopédie No. 1". The tempo and instrumentation clearly reflects one with the other.

Possible inspiration? I think it's probable.

---
Now, you may ask, what the hell is a "gymnopédie"? Well, gymnopaedia involves an athletic display of young, naked boys in ancient Greece. That's where the word, "gym", comes from!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #504
Stoo
IndyFan

Question Opera in 1919 Paris?

"Paris, May 1919" is one of the chapters with the least amount of identified & available music.

I'm trying to find the name of the opera which Indy, T.E. Lawrence & Gertrude Bell are watching. The excerpt is recognizable but I can't identify it. (Haven't watched this episode in a long time and had totally forgotten about this bit.) Does anyone know?

P.S. Tash, you're not related to Gertrude in any way, are you?
Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #505
MDew
IndyFan

This just puts me in the mood to watch some Young Indy:
Mozart's Clarinet Concerto K622 (Used in Oganga & John Barry's score for Out of Africa)
Old 09-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #506
MDew
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo

I'm trying to find the name of the opera which Indy, T.E. Lawrence & Gertrude Bell are watching. The excerpt is recognizable but I can't identify it.

I think I found it, it is "Meditation" from the opera Thaïs by Massenet. I knew it sounded familiar, it's a popular wedding song.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #507
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDew
This just puts me in the mood to watch some Young Indy:
Mozart's Clarinet Concerto K622 (Used in Oganga & John Barry's score for Out of Africa)
Sweet piece. (Incidentally, I *think* John Barry re-used parts of his score from "High Road to China" when he did "Out of Africa".)
Quote:
I think I found it, it is "Meditation" from the opera Thaïs by Massenet. I knew it sounded familiar, it's a popular wedding song.
That's it! BRAVO! I was thinking it might be from Puccini's 1918 opera, "Sister Angelica", which is about a dying nun but you totally nailed it, MDew. You're a superstar.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #508
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:

Awesome! Added to http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.co...inds-of-change

Quote:
P.S. Tash, you're not related to Gertrude in any way, are you?

Nope!

While I'm here, I'll tease y'all with news that a trinket has fallen into my hands that will be of interest to many here. Not new music, sadly. I just have to figure out how to best share it.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #509
Hawaii_Jones
IndyFan

So, does anyone have a link for a rip of the Volume Three soundtrack that they would like to PM me? I'm throwing a 1920's themed party soon and I would love it if I could have the music from Scandals and Mystery of the Blues playing in the background, amongst other 20's themed soundtracks I have. I know they have it on Amazon, but I really would prefer not to spend $40+ on this one CD. I would really appreciate it!
Hawaii_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #510
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
While I'm here, I'll tease y'all with news that a trinket has fallen into my hands that will be of interest to many here. Not new music, sadly. I just have to figure out how to best share it.

So... there's more to this than meets the eye, but I had to share this trinket that landed in my inbox.

I'm interested to hear what you all will make of it.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #511
MDew
IndyFan

Very nice! I'm guessing this is a custom cover for the 16 minutes of additional unreleased Oganga music?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #512
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
So... there's more to this than meets the eye,
Well, the signature resembles Matthew Peak's to a certain extent but a few clues tell me that it's probably not genuine.

Could this work be from our own fellow Ravenhead, JuniorJones?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #513
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Well, the signature resembles Matthew Peak's to a certain extent but a few clues tell me that it's probably not genuine.

Could this work be from our own fellow Ravenhead, JuniorJones?

Yep, you nailed it.

Glad you spotted the signature, even if you saw through the deception so quickly. Our esteemed colleague sent it in to inspire further effort in this area. We'd love to see what others like MDew can do given for custom covers given the general template.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #514
Stoo
IndyFan

I figured it was our buddy, JJ! Those illustrations are his usual top-notch. He's definitely an inspiration.

Since you mentioned a template, I was thinking how nice it would be for each of our fan volumes to have liner notes that match the legit releases. If you (or someone else) feels like writing some text on each compilation, it could put inside with photos.

The covers for Volume 0 are still not finished but I've been planning on putting in liner notes and text for the actual disc. If so, then we could have a template for the complete package.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #515
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
I figured it was our buddy, JJ! Those illustrations are his usual top-notch. He's definitely an inspiration.

Since you mentioned a template, I was thinking how nice it would be for each of our fan volumes to have liner notes that match the legit releases. If you (or someone else) feels like writing some text on each compilation, it could put inside with photos.

The covers for Volume 0 are still not finished but I've been planning on putting in liner notes and text for the actual disc. If so, then we could have a template for the complete package.

Stoo, could you clean out your PM inbox? I'd like to talk to you about something, but can't until there's room in there for my message. Thanks.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #516
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:

Sure, I'll spin something up on the site. (And anyone who wants write access just needs to ask.)
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #517
MDew
IndyFan

Quote:
We'd love to see what others like MDew can do given for custom covers given the general template.

Challenge accepted:
Old 09-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #518
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Challenge accepted:

That's some great work, there.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #519
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Exclamation

Stunning, MDew! Vlad's face is spot on (and creepy as ****!), and the image selection and composition is well done.

If I can make a few suggestions:

* The hard background transitions between the girl and the guys, and the Hagia Sophia and Vlad's castle (mostly hidden behind the logo) are a bit jarring. Looking at other cover/poster art, going with more abstract and continuous backgrounds rather than trying to perfectly capture the source would avoid this.

[EDIT: I realize now that it's the edge of a dark cloud behind the logo, not an "edge". Let me tweak the feedback to suggest that the area behind the logo should be as plain as possible to avoid that impression!]

* The smaller faces look a bit flat and cartoony. I'm not an artist, so I haven't got any great suggestions other than aiming for more subtle shading and coloration. A rough sketch can be more pleasing to the eye in its abstract form before it is inked and colored. I think that is one of Peak's skills - subtle coloration and shading.

But still: awesome! I'll try and get those track lists/liner notes up as inspiration.

Also... Is that logo by any chance from the comics? I did a cleaned up scan of the logo from one of the CDs and it has subtle differences.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #520
MDew
IndyFan

Thanks for the feedback, Tash. I know what you mean about the background areas not blending well together, which I think is mostly due to my sloppy Photoshop coloring skills. I almost need somebody with a painterly touch who can better blend it together. I'm still able to go back and tweak the original drawing, so I might try to make some of the changes (as they are bothering me too). Here's the original pencil drawing:

The logo was a scan from a book or magazine, not sure where I got it but it was just a two-tone that I changed to closer match the one on the soundtracks.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #521
InexorableTash
IndyFan

FWIW, I'd ditch the wall behind the crew in the lower left and have the girl's dress continue down. I don't think you need to make each scene "complete".

The transition from Vlad to the the foreground scene is amazing - it's like an elaborate chest-plate and then you realize it's a whole new scene. Similarly, the transition along the top - from the Hagia Sophia to the forest to the castle - is great. I'd just tone down the tree and cloud since the logo is going there.

Speaking of the logo, here's my scan - it's 1MB or so transparent PNG. It looks rough at full size (could be tidied up) but is fine when sized appropriately. (So far as I can tell, yes - the lower bars are supposed to be transparent.)

https://sites.google.com/site/youngi...JC%20Title.png

Also... here's a work-in-progress page for the fan soundtracks we've discussed:

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/fan-soundtracks

Liner notes are a work in progress.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #522
MDew
IndyFan

Cool, that page should be helpful. What about the recent "Curse of the Jackal" find - is that being added to one of those volumes?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #523
Demitasse
IndyFan

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

Intrigued by an earlier post from lairdo, I'm interested in hunting the Rimsky-Korsokov ballet used in Secret Service alluded to by Rosenthal in the soundtrack liner notes. (I don't have my CDs handy, anyone got the actual quote? I know the liner notes have been posted online somewhere, but I forgot where.) Does anyone have any more info or insight into which ballet it is? We've struck gold with Stoo's finding and syncing of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scherezade excerpts. I'm going to flip through SS to try to get an idea. Not sure if it's in the Austrian or Russian episode though... Ah well, let the hunt begin! *Cue: The Old and the Bold*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdo
By the way, did everyone agree with my list from the YIJC shows? I left the question as name the most to give me a little wiggle room on the answer. I'm fairly sure I had it right for music in the score (vs. source music/on screen stage acts). Here's the complete list I had.

1. Laurence Rosenthal, My First Adventure
2. Joel McNeely, Passion for Life
3. Giacomo Puccini, Perils of Cupid (besides the on screen numbers, his music is incorporated into the score)
4. Thomas Moore, Love's Sweet Song (the Minstrel Boy Song is in the score at the train station - it is used again in Attack of the Hawkmen)
5. Frederic Talgorn, Trenches of Hell
6. JS Bach, Oganga, Giver and Taker of Life (besides the piano scenes which would be musical numbers, Bach is used in the score as well particularly after Schweitzer is taken by the French)
7. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Adventures in the Secret Service (Rosenthal says on the CD notes that the ballet is in the score as well as on screen)
8. Curt Sobel, Masks of Evil
9. Steve Bramson, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
10. John Williams, Mystery of the Blues (incorporated into the opening and closing Harrison Ford scenes)
11. George Gershwin, Scandal of 1920 (the movie opens with Rhapsody in Blue in the score over the train)

I would love everyone's comments or rants about the list.

(For those that don't listen to the Indy-cast, this was one of the questions on episode 100 - name the composers for Young Indy and their first appearance in DVD order.)
Demitasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #524
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Cool, that page should be helpful. What about the recent "Curse of the Jackal" find - is that being added to one of those volumes?

Tracking it as "Volume 0". Added an entry.

Stoo - I took a stab at Liner Notes for "Volume 6", in the vein of the notes for Vol 1-4, which I dug out of storage. Is this what you were looking for?
Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #525
InexorableTash
IndyFan

FSM Archives Online

As announced over on its message board, the 1990-2005 archives of Film Score Monthly are now available for free download.

Relevant to this thread is Issue #44 which contains an issue with Joel McNeely about scoring YIJ. The article gives some background on McNeely and he discusses Lucas' dreaded temp-tracks, why Africa is more "jazz" than Paris, and the challenge of living up to the incredible visuals of the episodes.

These earlier PDFs are scans/bitmaps with no OCR so the text is not searchable. I don't suppose anyone wants to dig in for other YIJC tidbits?

EDIT: issue #30/31 has a review of the Vol 2 OST, and issue #36/37 has a review of the Vol 3 OST. There's an extremely short interview with Rosenthal in issue #49 that mentions YIJC - and the SW prequels and Indy 4 (this is in 1994!)

WARNING: The file server is hella slow. On an extremely fast connection the 32MB download took several minutes and appeared to hang. I assume they're using an RFC 1149 compliant server or something.

Last edited by InexorableTash : 11-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.