TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Globe-trotting
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
inky_skin
IndyFan

Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Ok, so I'm proposing a little bit of fun. Indiana Jones is well-known for his globe-trotting adventures. What I'm wondering is: can we make his Hasbro incarnation as well-travelled ?

I'm looking for some forum members in diverse locations to sign-up and essentially mail a Hasbro Indy figure around the world, taking pictures of him in their locale and passing him on to the next person in the list. I'd post the pictures in this thread and plot his progress, Indy-style, on a map. All it'd cost you is the minimal price of postage (loose, he'd probably class as a letter). I'd be first on the list and would provide the figure - perhaps I'll even throw in a "passport" for each of us to sign and then raffle him off at the end.

Like I said, just a bit of silly fun. But hey - it might make us a bit more "connected", eh ?

Chip in on this thread if you are interested.

Last edited by inky_skin : 05-04-2010 at 10:58 AM.
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Stoo
IndyFan

Lightbulb Brilliant!

I think it's an AMAZING idea, inky, and one I could see working out. Send him to me to get a shot of Indy in the Alps!

North America & Europe would be no problem. Maybe Iraq. Korea for sure? Australia would be a shoe-in...
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
inky_skin
IndyFan

Well, that's the first stage of Indy's adventure plotted.

First Leg: England to Switzerland.
Second Leg: Switzerland to ?

I'd like to get a minimum of 5 people signed up to make this worthwhile. I'll put us all on a numbered list and each person is responsible for contacting the person before them to provide a forwarding mail address.

1. Package will contain an Indy figure and a "passport". Please "stamp" the passport with something unique and relevant to your location when you receive it (rubber stamp, postage stamp, custom design or similar).
2. Then take a picture of Indy in a memorable setting (preferably with a landmark in the background - no non-descript rooms etc) and PM me with it.
3. Then package Indy and his passport and send it to the next person on the list.

Lets see if we can't get some more folks interested and send Indy around the globe....
Old 05-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
Lets see if we can't get some more folks interested and send Indy around the globe....
Yes, please people, sign up. I'm going to Malta next week and it would be great to get a shot of him there as well as in Switz. (I don't own any Indy action figs.)

This is just like the world-travelling Red Couch or the Garden Gnome thing but better...Again, great idea! Let's hope others catch onto it...
Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Hey! We used to do this over at jedidefender with a custom purple Obi Wan figure......until I left the figure in North Africa.

Sigh.

Sign me up, though, I promise not to lose it this time.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Yes, please people, sign up. I'm going to Malta next week and it would be great to get a shot of him there as well as in Switz.

Sadly, I don't think is going to be organised in time for your Malta trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
Sign me up, though, I promise not to lose it this time.
Don't worry Lance - this is Indy, not Marcus - he won't be getting lost.

So...

First Leg: England to Switzerland.
Second Leg: Switzerland to America.
Third Leg: America to ?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
throwmetheidol
IndyFan

Ravenwood Museum in Canada?!
throwmetheidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
NickTurner
IndyFan

You can put me down. San Francisco is nearby if not already covered By Lance.

Hmm hope the mailman doesn't lose him!
NickTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

I would like to make a suggestion -

Rather than using just a garden-variety Indy figure, we use one that has been customized in some way.

That's part of what made the Kenobi version so much fun - it was a unique figure. There was no way to "fake" his travels. We all knew it was the same one. The same one, sadly, which is now resting beneath the desert sands of North Africa...wiped clean by the wrath of God.

In any event, since this is Inky's brainchild, maybe he has one of his awesome customs he might want to "volunteer" for the assignment. (assuming you don't mind taking the chance you never see it again.)

Thoughts?
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
In any event, since this is Inky's brainchild, maybe he has one of his awesome customs he might want to "volunteer" for the assignment. (assuming you don't mind taking the chance you never see it again.)

Hmmm - ok, I think I've a custom Indy that might fit the bill.

So we've got England, Switzerland, two locations on West Coast America and Canada. Perhaps Hemble would be interested in getting Indy "Down Under" - and do we have anyone else in Europe or Asia (not that I'm discounting other locations - if Indy wants to bounce around North America, I'm ok with that) ? I'm looking for a few more destinations and then we'll get this project underway...
Old 05-05-2010, 04:32 AM   #11
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

I'll participate! I do not foresee getting out of the country until 2011, but I can easily cover my home base of San Francisco and Greater California. I routinely get up and down the coast, and maybe I can jump over to Nevada. Just let me know.

I have a couple of ideas about things in California, but I'll also getting back down to New Orleans later on this year. So, yes, definitely count me in for adding New Orleans.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:38 AM   #12
indy34
IndyFan

Yeah a great idea my dads squadron used to do this with a garden gnome. My dad belonged to a squadron that flies the Prime minister around so they had pictures of him in heaps of countries.
But yes sign me up I'd love to be a part of this there lots of landmarks where I live.
indy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #13
hemble
IndyFan

Sounds like a great idea Inky count me in he'll be more then welcome to good ole down under. I'm in the far north state of Queensland in a place called Townsville, we've got some great mountain views even a peak that looks like paramount.

Ron
hemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #14
inky_skin
IndyFan

Thanks for your interest everyone - looks like we have enough people on board to make this viable. I'll organise the locations to ensure that their isn't too much "doubling-back" and to minimise the distances that you'll have to send Indy.

Dr Jones has finished packing and is readying himself for departure. He's just waiting for me to get his travel documents in order. However, I can reveal that the first leg of his adventure will take him from England to Turkey and back...
Old 05-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #15
Rocket Surgeon

I'm in New Jersey...I might be able to get him in Princeton, I KNOW I could do it if I get him by July.

I'm in New York quite a bit these days as well.

Indy is a baseball fan I could also get him catching a Newark Bears game, which he may have attened.

The original Newark Bears were a team in the International League from 1926 to 1949. They played their home games at the former Ruppert Stadium in what is now known as the Ironbound section of Newark.

Let me know...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Sadly, I don't think is going to be organised in time for your Malta trip.
Darn. Leaving in a week from today, next Wednesday on the 12th (in the PM). If you could get him to me by then, I'd keep him for another week or two. Would need some time to get out to Interlaken or somewhere else during the day. (If that doesn't fit the schedule I could always take a picture of him here with the Alps off in the distance.) In any case, fit me in wherever you see best.

Inky, the figure looks amazing, by the way! Of course it is. You did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I'm in New Jersey...I might be able to get him in Princeton, I KNOW I could do it if I get him by July.

I'm in New York quite a bit these days as well.

Indy is a baseball fan I could also get him catching a Newark Bears game, which he may have attened.
I was actually going to suggest you for Princeton. That'll be a good one. We need him in Chicago, too!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
I was actually going to suggest you for Princeton. That'll be a good one. We need him in Chicago, too!

Any one consider an Indy Head on a Henry Sr figure?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #18
Stoo
IndyFan

True, Rocket, but Inky can do it with such precision and skill.

So, Indy's going to Turkey, too?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
True, Rocket, but Inky can do it with such precision and skill.

So, Indy's going to Turkey, too?
It'll either be Turkey with friends of mine, or Malta with you - depends if I can get Indy to Switzerland in time for your departure.

Quote:
Any one consider an Indy Head on a Henry Sr figure?
Must've missed the joke here. Sure, the figure in question is a quick kitbash, but he's unique enough to do the job.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #20
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
It'll either be Turkey with friends of mine, or Malta with you - depends if I can get Indy to Switzerland in time for your departure.
You can, it just depends on whether it's worth the money or not.
Quote:
Must've missed the joke here. Sure, the figure in question is a quick kitbash, but he's unique enough to do the job.
The joke is on me since I was complimenting you on an amazing custom job when it's just a head on another body. Like the sepia photo, though!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
inky_skin
IndyFan

Stoo - he's being dispatched to you by Special Delivery first thing tomorrow morning. Definately worth the money

Oh, and it's an Indy head on a Henry torso with Indy legs and a customised valise. Simple head swap ? Pah !
Old 05-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Stoo - he's being dispatched to you by Special Delivery first thing tomorrow morning. Definately worth the money
AWESOME! Indy in Malta. Should probably get it by Monday? Now the trick is to pull this off in absolute secrecy. If my girlfriend finds out she's going to think I'm a complete IDIOT!
Quote:
Oh, and it's an Indy head on a Henry torso with Indy legs and a customised valise. Simple head swap ? Pah !
So in the end, the joke is on Rocket!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #23
inky_skin
IndyFan

All,

Indy left the UK early this morning on the first leg of his global adventure. Due to his hurried departure (to meet a connecting flight from Switzerland to Malta) he failed to take any photos before he left. However, his host did sign his travel documents as a memento of his stay (included in package). Indy's itenerary is as follows:

UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-05-10
Switzerland / Malta (Stoo)
Canada (throwmetheidol)
East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon) NOTE: Must arrive in this location by 01-07-10
West Coast USA: Burbank (Lance Quazar)
West Coast USA: San Francisco (NickTurner)
West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans (Le Saboteur)
Australia: Canberra (indy34)
Australia: Queensland (hemble)
???

Guys, you are all now responsible for contacting the next person on the list to determine addresses etc. I look forward to your regular posts in this thread detailing Indy's journey.

Last edited by inky_skin : 05-06-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #24
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
So in the end, the joke is on Rocket!

Hey now!

Are we submitting journal entries as well?

FYI I'm heading to Baltimore the weekend of July 17th. Indy will most likely be in Princeton on campus that day. Please recommend specific points of interest, besides the obvious...classroom/library.

Looking forward to hearing what trouble the toy in the hat gets into.

Stu, will Indy be caught researching any "nocturnal activities"?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #25
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
Are we submitting journal entries as well?

FYI I'm heading to Baltimore the weekend of July 17th. Indy will most likely be in Princeton on campus that day. Please recommend specific points of interest, besides the obvious...classroom/library.

Well, I've included a quarter-scale Grail Diary in the package - the pages are blank and it's up to you guys to fill them with signatures, quotes and observations etc (keep it kiddie-friendly please !). Updates to this thread would also be appreciated so that we can all see/read what Indy's been up to.

Is there any chance you can get a picture of Indy at Theatre Intime when you visit Princeton ? Or the Art Museum ? I've specified in his itinerary that Indy needs to reach you by July 1st.