Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #26
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBr
Here in my city (Bragança Paulista) , the best hamburguer is found in "Choppão Lanches", I tried to find some photos of the place but only found the logo (Don't know how you guys post images here):

http://www.agitobraganca.com.br/site...erchoppao4.jpg

It's very good, and it's not expensive. The place is always full on thurdays, Frydays and Saturdays, normally you have to wait 10 minutes for a table.
Hi, IndyBr. Your link didn't work for me. Is Choppão Lanches an independant restaurant or is it part of a chain/franchise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
Has no one in the Americas or elsewhere heard of pineapple on a hamburger? I don't know the origins of this, I presumed it may have been American. It might be an Australian thing then! For instance we enjoy a pizza called The Hawaiian which is ham and pineapple on top of the mozzarella.

The acidic sweetness of pineapple goes well with the typical burger, but especially so when you have bacon in there too. It adds a bit of a 'tropical' flavour which is perfectly suited to a summer's lunch at the beach in my corner of the world.
Like Drifter, I know of pinapple on pizza and, as you say, it's known as The Hawaiian. A colleauge of mine used to order it often. Pineapple on a burger sounds odd but I would definitely try it, especially if bacon is involved!

Regarding its origins: I'm interested to know where the pineapple thing started. The History of the Hamburger never ceases to fascinate.

----
Back from a weekend roadtrip, I looked for Hesburgers in Germany to try the Finnish rye bread variant but couldn't find one. What I did try, in Belgium, was a chain restaurant called Quality Burger (also called Quick Burger). I ordered the double-patty Super Bacon with cheese and it was terrible! The photo on the menu was a severe case of false advertising because the patties ended up being thinner than the bacon strips! No joke.

Quality Burger? Don't think so. What a waste of €7 ($9)!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #27
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Regarding its origins: I'm interested to know where the pineapple thing started. The History of the Hamburger never ceases to fascinate.

----
Back from a weekend roadtrip, I looked for Hesburgers in Germany to try the Finnish rye bread variant but couldn't find one. What I did try, in Belgium, was a chain restaurant called Quality Burger (also called Quick Burger). I ordered the double-patty Super Bacon with cheese and it was terrible! The photo on the menu was a severe case of false advertising because the patties ended up being thinner than the bacon strips! No joke.

Quality Burger? Don't think so. What a waste of €7 ($9)!

Prompted by your question, Stoo, I looked up what Wikipedia had to say about the origins of the hamburger. Too many possible theories to fit in here, at least claims of origins, but it summarised as German or American. I like to think that sometimes good ideas arise simultaneously in different parts of the world, or at least that good ideas spread so fast it seems like they happen at once!

But the latest historical development is something we have all witnessed in recent times: the expensive upmarket gourmet burger which usually has to be eaten on a plate with the two halves of the bread side by side and a heap of hopefully good filling on both halves.

It has its place I suppose, but I know of a small unpretentious burger joint down at the southern end of the Gold Coast that serves the good ol' traditional burger in a handful of varieties for a really decent price. All the local surfers are its main business. It's like a relic from the 70s and its great.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #28
IndyBr
IndyFan

Quote:
Hi, IndyBr. Your link didn't work for me. Is Choppão Lanches an independant restaurant or is it part of a chain/franchise?
Hi Stoo, it's an independent restaurant, I always order hamburguers there along with my friends. Odd that the link didn't work... probably some regional law.... it works fine here. But there wasn't much to see anyway, just the logo.
IndyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #29
Rocket Surgeon

The absolute best hamburger in the world comes from Green Village New Jersey.

From Green Village Packing Co. to be precise.

As the abattoir where we sent our steer and they were summarily returned in handy stackable boxes and neatly wrapped butcher paper you might say I'm a bit biased.

In my defense I can say that Green Village Packing Co provides butcher service to upscale restaurants in locals as distant as NYC and the Tri State Area for decades.

MMMM...MM!

You have yet to live amigos...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #30
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon

As the abattoir where we sent our steer and they were summarily returned in handy stackable boxes and neatly wrapped butcher paper you might say I'm a bit biased.

In my defense I can say that Green Village Packing Co provides butcher service to upscale restaurants in locals as distant as NYC and the Tri State Area for decades.

MMMM...MM!

You have yet to live amigos...

Do they deliver?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #31
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Do they deliver?

You want Green Burgers? Yes, sir, we deliver to all areas.

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #32
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
You want Green Burgers? Yes, sir, we deliver to all areas.

They can't guarantee freshness for a delivery to Down Under?! As for the taste of human flesh, I've yet to try it. Where's that old freezer in the back shed... I'll have to see if it's still working.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #33
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Speaking of Soylent Green, here's an actual product:

This is on my gift giving list for someone who will really appreciate it.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e9aa/?srp=1

And speaking of eating -- I lost 10 pounds in two weeks. BAM!! (No, it's not the People Diet and Soylent Green Crackers.)
Goodeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #34
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeknight
Speaking of Soylent Green, here's an actual product:

Brilliant!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #35
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Do they deliver?
If you're willing to pay, anything is possible...I have a friend who overnights me fresh king crab from Alaska, amazing with medium rare steak, whipped potatoes, a nice lager or ten maybe a cigar and even later some midnight...

Australia might be a bit of a stretch, so if you ever get into town we'll kill a fatted calf for you, make a day or so out of it...no rings though.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #36
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
If you're willing to pay, anything is possible...I have a friend who overnights me fresh king crab from Alaska, amazing with medium rare steak, whipped potatoes, a nice lager or ten maybe a cigar and even later some midnight...

Australia might be a bit of a stretch, so if you ever get into town we'll kill a fatted calf for you, make a day or so out of it...no rings though.

I'm not the prodigal son, but I wouldn't say "No" either! Wouldn't mind seeing the US of A sometime. It's only across the pond too. There's actually quite a few things I'd like to see in your home country.

And don't forget about kangaroo fillets. Yep, we eat our national emblems over here!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #37
Finn

Quote:
And don't forget about kangaroo fillets. Yep, we eat our national emblems over here!
And according to an old joke, we Finns eat our own...
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #38
Mickiana
IndyFan

Talk about tasting human flesh! Still, I wouldn't mind trying that (Mammi) and other Finnish delights.

And Goodeknight, how did you lose 10 pounds in two weeks? Cos, if you did lose them, I found them!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #39
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Prompted by your question, Stoo, I looked up what Wikipedia had to say about the origins of the hamburger. Too many possible theories to fit in here, at least claims of origins, but it summarised as German or American. I like to think that sometimes good ideas arise simultaneously in different parts of the world, or at least that good ideas spread so fast it seems like they happen at once!

But the latest historical development is something we have all witnessed in recent times: the expensive upmarket gourmet burger which usually has to be eaten on a plate with the two halves of the bread side by side and a heap of hopefully good filling on both halves.

It has its place I suppose, but I know of a small unpretentious burger joint down at the southern end of the Gold Coast that serves the good ol' traditional burger in a handful of varieties for a really decent price. All the local surfers are its main business. It's like a relic from the 70s and its great.
That place on the Gold Coast sounds right up my alley, Mickey. When I eventually make it to Oz, I want to try it out. (Just need the name & location.) You're welcome to join me for some burger-chompin' & beer-swizzlin', if you'd like.

Regarding the history, I meant the origins of the pineapple slice. (I'm well aware of the cloudy history of the burger, itself.)

Re. 'gourmet' burgers: They are starting to become a thing in Switzerland with some restaurants in Geneva receiving highly positive reviews from the ex-patriot community. Gonna have to give them a try and see what the hubbub is about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBr
Hi Stoo, it's an independent restaurant, I always order hamburguers there along with my friends. Odd that the link didn't work... probably some regional law.... it works fine here. But there wasn't much to see anyway, just the logo.
Thanks for the reply, anyway, IndyBr. One of my friends goes to Brazil a couple of times per year so I'll tell her about your favourite hamburger joint and ask her for a full report!
Quote:

Now you've got me singing The Kinks - "Village Green Preservation Society" (which is a good thing, mind you.). But this talk about Soylent Green, coupled with Monty's vegetarianism has me also singing, "Meat is Murder", from The Smiths!

Rocket, do you have freezer space for all your homegrown, fresh beef or are you burying it underground with bucketloads of salt?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #40
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
But this talk about Soylent Green, coupled with Monty's vegetarianism has me also singing, "Meat is Murder", from The Smiths!

Look if you dare.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #41
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Rocket, do you have freezer space for all your homegrown, fresh beef or are you burying it underground with bucketloads of salt?
Always had two fridge/freezers and I remember when my old man bought the coffin freezer: 8' X 3.5'. Tucked it under the basement stairs.

Some great stories...for whatever reason my old man wanted the head of one of the pigs and so it was shuffled around the freezer over time. Well when my oldest brother brought his first girlfriend over she assertively jumped up in answer to mom's call to get dinner meat from the freezer.

We weakly discouraged her which firmed her resolve...no big deal.

Well, I always thought of her as a no nonsense girl, strong, smart and seemly brave enough...until that day, oh the screams!

...and the laughs.

The job fell to me to find a spot in the field to bury the pig's head where it remains to this day.

Have to find it some day, maybe go digging by full moon with my children next halloween...
Old 11-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #42
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Well, I always thought of her as a no nonsense girl, strong, smart and seemly brave enough...until that day, oh the screams!

Oh I see. A woman has to "take it like a man" when she's confronted with the contents of your freezer? What's the matter? She wasn't tomboyish enough for you?

So she squealed like a pig, then? Apparently just like Indy did in Skulls [sic].

Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #43
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
That place on the Gold Coast sounds right up my alley, Mickey. When I eventually make it to Oz, I want to try it out. (Just need the name & location.) You're welcome to join me for some burger-chompin' & beer-swizzlin', if you'd like.

Just let me know, Stoo, when you come over and I shall promote the Great South East like a true ambassador. When I take you to the Gold Coast we'll have to meet up with Violet if she's in town. I have not met my fellow Aussie Ravener. What do you reckon, Violet? You'd know the south coast better than I do.

That goes for anyone from The Raven. Touristing, that is, not flooding Violet with overseas travelers.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #44
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Always had two fridge/freezers and I remember when my old man bought the coffin freezer: 8' X 3.5'. Tucked it under the basement stairs.
Same here except that we kept are 'coffin' freezer in the garage.

Funny story about the swine! If you go searching for it: "Rocket Surgeon and the Mystery of the Pig Skull". Find it and mount it as a hood ornament on your car/truck.

Speaking of pigs: Has anybody ever had a hamburger made out of, y'know, actual ham?
Quote:
Just let me know, Stoo, when you come over and I shall promote the Great South East like a true ambassador. When I take you to the Gold Coast we'll have to meet up with Violet if she's in town. I have not met my fellow Aussie Ravener. What do you reckon, Violet? You'd know the south coast better than I do.

That goes for anyone from The Raven. Touristing, that is, not flooding Violet with overseas travelers.
Sounds good, Mickey, but I think Violet has a rule of not meeting internet people. Plus I don't know if she likes hamburgers!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #45
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Sounds good, Mickey, but I think Violet has a rule of not meeting internet people. Plus I don't know if she likes hamburgers!

That's my naivety. I keep forgetting the importance of anonymity in this potentially dangerous digital age we live in. There are too many perverts out there to risk stuff *cough*Lance*cough*.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #46
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Speaking of pigs: Has anybody ever had a hamburger made out of, y'know, actual ham?

Or a Korean dogburger?

It might interest enthusiasts to know that this Korean publican has just been translated into English:

Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #47
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
If you go searching for it: "Rocket Surgeon and the Mystery of the Pig Skull". Find it and mount it as a hood ornament on your car/truck.
As I remember it it might make a pretty cool Mola Ram-esqe chapeau...formal wear for a hippie dinner party.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #48
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Quote:
But this talk about Soylent Green, coupled with Monty's vegetarianism has me also singing, "Meat is Murder", from The Smiths

Stoo, did you happen to see Morrisey on the Colbert Report? Painfully harsh and humorous interview, which included a "Meat Is Murder" Q&A.

Interview (harsh and humorous):
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...2012/morrissey

Songs:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...me-everywhere-

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...-around-paris-

Regarding the history of hamburgers and many other delights, this is a very informative video, particularly after about 2:30.

Watch
The Party in Comedy | View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

Quote:
And Goodeknight, how did you lose 10 pounds in two weeks? Cos, if you did lose them, I found them!

For the answer to that question, PM me. Seriously!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #49
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Stoo, did you happen to see Morrisey on the Colbert Report? Painfully harsh and humorous interview, which included a "Meat Is Murder" Q&A.
My girlfriend & I watch Stephen Colbert (& Jon Stewart) fairly religiously but I missed the Steve Morrisey interview. Thanks for the link, Goodeknight. I like when Colbert says, "If meat is murder then murder is delicious!"
Quote:
Regarding the history of hamburgers and many other delights, this is a very informative video, particularly after about 2:30.
Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin...the golden days of "Saturday Night Live".

---
From 6 months ago in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
Indeed.
Does this look like the Best Hamburger in the World? (Was this thing even real?)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #50
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Quote:
Does this look like the Best Hamburger in the World?

Well, with Darth as the spokesman, I assume it was death to those who declared it anything less than the "best hamburger in the universe."