TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #51
roundshort
IndyFan

I was not going to post int his thread, as I have an unfair advantage. To make the best Burger in the world you need to go to this link and follow instructions to purchase THE BEST ground beef possible.

http://www.flannerybeef.com/butcher/burger-builder.html

my personal favorite is 25% Waygu Chuck, 25% Prime Chuck, 25% Prime Short Ribs (or call Bryan and ask if he can do Waygu Short Ribs) and 25% Prime Brisket Blend. This will result in almsot 50% fat content.

Then you need to not mess it up when you cook it. If you have a grill that burns wood, I recommend Almond and Cherry. Nice high heat, good embers, and the flavor adds a bit but not too much.

If you don't the best is to first sautee in a cast Iron Skillet and then finnish in the oven.

Rember it is all about fat content and texture. If you have a 40 to 50% fat content, you can cook a bit longer and the burger will still be juicy and have a nice crust. If you go for a learner burger, you can not cook as long or it will dry out.

Also, do not handle the beef to much, make 3 patties out of a pound by lightly patting them in your hands. Do not pack them too tightly.

You will not need much to go with this, and I recommend that you just enjoy it on it's own. If you must, use a fresh baked Chibotta bun (Brioche is too much) a dab of Heinz 57 (ONLY HEINZ).

If you are lazy, then the best burger you can purchase is at Goose & Gander in Saint Helna.
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #52
Pale Horse

Dinner, my place. This Sunday. You can watch the Bronco's clinch the AFC West, while I grill that bad boy up. I'll have two TV's up and running.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #53
roundshort
IndyFan

It would be nice, the weather up here is lousy!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #54
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
I was not going to post int his thread, as I have an unfair advantage. To make the best Burger in the world you need to go to this link and follow instructions to purchase THE BEST ground beef possible.

http://www.flannerybeef.com/butcher/burger-builder.html

my personal favorite is 25% Waygu Chuck, 25% Prime Chuck, 25% Prime Short Ribs (or call Bryan and ask if he can do Waygu Short Ribs) and 25% Prime Brisket Blend. This will result in almsot 50% fat content.

Then you need to not mess it up when you cook it. If you have a grill that burns wood, I recommend Almond and Cherry. Nice high heat, good embers, and the flavor adds a bit but not too much.

If you don't the best is to first sautee in a cast Iron Skillet and then finnish in the oven.

Rember it is all about fat content and texture. If you have a 40 to 50% fat content, you can cook a bit longer and the burger will still be juicy and have a nice crust. If you go for a learner burger, you can not cook as long or it will dry out.

Also, do not handle the beef to much, make 3 patties out of a pound by lightly patting them in your hands. Do not pack them too tightly.

You will not need much to go with this, and I recommend that you just enjoy it on it's own. If you must, use a fresh baked Chibotta bun (Brioche is too much) a dab of Heinz 57 (ONLY HEINZ).

If you are lazy, then the best burger you can purchase is at Goose & Gander in Saint Helna.

Suet, bacon and foie gras. Why isn't anyone doing that here?!
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #55
Finn

My dinner from yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Sounds good, Mickey, but I think Violet has a rule of not meeting internet people.
I think I met one of those "Internet people" the other day.

Well, I didn't actually meet him per se, because he was on the other side of the street and it was late and dark outside. But he was kinda creepy and scary. So I think he was from the Internet.

I immediately called my mom when I got home. She was just relieved to hear that I was okay and safe.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #56
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
I think I met one of those "Internet people" the other day.

Well, I didn't actually meet him per se, because he was on the other side of the street and it was late and dark outside. But he was kinda creepy and scary. So I think he was from the Internet.

I immediately called my mom when I got home. She was just relieved to hear that I was okay and safe.

Wow, sounds like you had a narrow escape.

I've heard some of these internet people pretend they work in burger bars. There are stories that some of them force their service on unwilling customers.

They just can't wait to put their meat between your buns.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #57
Rocket Surgeon

Apparently the best hamburger in the world...

...has left the competition:

Man says he killed wife over hamburger
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #58
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quick question; how do you folks feel about "Kobe" beef?

Worth it or overpriced?

For those who don't know...

These cows are massaged daily in shifts and drink 6 bottles of beer everyday.

when I grow up I want to be an alcoholic cow that is massaged daily...
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #59
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
when I grow up I want to be an alcoholic cow that is massaged daily...
You know, there are better role models than Paris Hilton.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #60
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
You know, there are better role models than Paris Hilton.

Well done. And I'm not talking about beef here.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #61
roundshort
IndyFan

That video istoo funny!

There is no such thing as Kobe beef, rather beef from the Tajimu Provance, Kobe is just the shipping point. The Breed, know as Kuroge Wagyu is raised on 262 small farms or ranches here. This is a fairly mountain and hilly region so movement is naturally restricted thus the cow does not devlope as much muscle mas as a normal grass feed cow, and has richer natural marbeling. As with all cattle, it has a period of fattening before it is processed to bring it up to optimal size. Like in all feed lots, the cows are no longer allowed to roam very far and are usually feed high carbohydrate foods. For the most part these cows are NOT feed beer, but atucally beer mash from the brewing process. They are also feed large amounts of Sake as Alcohol will turn food in sugers and fat faster.

The meat from these animals has the most intense marbeling of almost any cow, and the fat melts at a lower temperature. Hence, the beef is usually served sliced very thin, and with a very hot stone to cook the meat. You place a slice on the stone, the fat renders, the meat is barley cooked, and you have an amazing mouthful of tender flavor. It is amazing and very expensive. You can spend a few hundered dollars on a 1/2 pound.

I think Kobe is uaully a bit much, and am usually happier with a nice grain finished grass feed free range porterhouse - cooked perfectly.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #62
scott434
IndyFan

Down here in south Louisiana, it's a place called connie's. My mouth is watering for one right now!!!!
scott434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #63
fenris
IndyFan

Dunno about the best burger, but here's something that I've been wanting to try...

http://manilareviews.com/2010/04/big...-town-bar.html

But I think I'm gonna need around 4 other companions to finish this.
fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #64
IndyBr
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo

---
From 6 months ago in another thread:
Does this look like the Best Hamburger in the World? (Was this thing even real?)

That thing looks like it could kill you!
Don't think I would eat something like that.
IndyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #65
Stoo
IndyFan

Dig Chicago Rib Shack!

I found another place that does AMAZING hamburgers! It was in London (Stratford) and called Chicago Rib Shack. Quite simply one of the best that I've ever tasted from a restaurant and comes extremely close as a rival to my favourite, L'Anecdote. The patty was oh-so-deliciously thick & juicy and, in my experience, danged near perfection. It was so good that I ordered another one. A+

Despite what its name implies, this is not an American chain. It's British and currently has only 3 locations in England; London, Southampton and Leeds. Their specialty is BBQ ribs but if you like burgers and happen to live nearby, you should definitely go for a bite!

http://www.thechicagoribshack.co.uk/locations/
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #66
Pale Horse

The Battle of the Mafia begins...

Seems the boys down in Kansas City would be quite offended that Chicago is claiming "Ribs" as their tell-tale food fame.

Chuckle.

But I am glad you bumped this. I've been wanting a good burger of late.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #67
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Seems the boys down in Kansas City would be quite offended that Chicago is claiming "Ribs" as their tell-tale food fame.

Chuckle.

But I am glad you bumped this. I've been wanting a good burger of late.

I also want a good burger. There's a place near me in Kingsport that has a decent burger. It's called Sloopy's, and there's another joint that has good home-made greasy ones. It's called The Purple Cow (can't find a website). And there's yet another place that has the most crispy, deep-fried goodness that I ever tasted, and their burgers are no different. It's within walking distance and called "Teddy's".

As for Kansas City and their ribs, they can keep them. (Their sauces are way too sweet). I like Memphis style, baby! And the Carolinas can hold their head VERY high with their vinegar and mustard-based sauces. Yummmmmm
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #68
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
From Chicago Rib Shack's website:

"What is it that makes our ribs so special? For one thing, we serve baby back ribs, not spare ribs. The reason is that they’re more tender and juicy. You might say they’re the crème de la crème of BBQ ribs.

Before we created our final recipe our founders visited 85 restaurants in 10 cities in America eating all kinds of BBQ. The best were to be found at Carsons and Bones, both in Chicago, Arthurs Bryan’s (RIP) in Kansas City and a few other good places in Miami, Denver, LA, Boston and New York."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter
As for Kansas City and their ribs, they can keep them. (Their sauces are way too sweet).
You're making my mouth water, Drifter, but which Kansas City are you guys talking about, 'cuz there are 2 of 'em, right? The one in Kansas or the one in Missouri? (I've never been to either state.)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #69
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
The one in Missouri. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City-style_barbecue

Different cities or states have different styles of bbq. Just to name a few; there's Kansas City style (from what I've tried the sauce they use is too sweet for my taste. Never cared for it much), Memphis dry rub, Texas with it's smoke, the Carolinas and their mustard or vinegar based bbq sauce (my favorite) and parts of Alabama even have a white BBQ sauce that's poured on their ribs!

Ever been to what we in the south call a pig-pickin', Stoo? A bunch of folk buy a whole pig and slow cook and smoke it ALL day, slowly lathering the sauce on it as it cracks and blackens. Some people make home-made baked beans, slaw, potato salad and grilled corn on the cob, That is some real eatin'!
I'm hungry now.

EDIT: Here's a look at a few local BBQ joints near me: Phil's Dream Pit and Pratt's BBQ!

Last edited by The Drifter : 07-10-2013 at 12:56 PM.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #70
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
The one in Missouri. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City-style_barbecue

Different cities or states have different styles of bbq. Just to name a few; there's Kansas City style (from what I've tried the sauce they use is too sweet for my taste. Never cared for it much), Memphis dry rub, Texas with it's smoke, the Carolinas and their mustard or vinegar based bbq sauce (my favorite) and parts of Alabama even have a white BBQ sauce that's poured on their ribs!
---
EDIT: Here's a look at a few local BBQ joints near me: Phil's Dream Pit and Pratt's BBQ!
Those all sound lip-smackin' good to me, even the Kansas City style (although I know you like things HOT). Missouri, eh? Willie Scott must like it that way.

I've been to both Carolinas as a kid but can't recall having any BBQ while there. Would love to visit the central, southern states someday for some sampling of burgers & steaks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
Ever been to what we in the south call a pig-pickin', Stoo? A bunch of folk buy a whole pig and slow cook and smoke it ALL day, slowly lathering the sauce on it as it cracks and blackens. Some people make home-made baked beans, slaw, potato salad and grilled corn on the cob, That is some real eatin'!
I'm hungry now.
Yes, sir. My mother & her boyfriend host a "pig roast" (as we call it) every year at our summer cottage in the Laurentian mountains. Tonnes of food and loads of laughs. They've been doing it for 15 years now and more & more people come each time. Last year we had over 100 guests. Fortunately, we have 2 acres of land so there was just enough room to park all the cars! Unfortunately, I'll be missing this summer's but here's a taste from 2006. (My brother likes to shoot off fireworks at night so I included a photo of his little arsenal, just for fun.)

Speaking of swine: Who put "ham" in the name, "hamburger"?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #71
Pale Horse

KCBS Rib Reserve Grand Champion here, on more than one occasion. I know BBQ. But this is about hamburgers.

Unless you're all talking Carl's Jr./Hardees Pulled Pork Burger...

(this is the safest image I could find)
Old 03-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #72
Stoo
IndyFan

Dig Pearl's (North of San Francisco)

Hands down, one of the GREATEST HAMBURGERS that I've ever tasted can be found at, Pearl's Phatburgers, in the tiny village of Mill Valley, Marin County, California. (The walls were adorned with quotes from local food critics/experts. While this type of decoration is quite typical, the accolades usually mean something and this was no exception.)

A fantastic burger, beautifully & sumptuously done! Crusty on the outside, pink on the inside with a perfectly toasted bun. Thick pattie but perfectly flat and easy to eat. I ordered mine with Monterey Jack cheese & bacon and personally complimented the cook after the meal. Even my girlfriend (an Italian food snob) commented on how good it was, even 2 weeks later. 'Twas a burger to remember!

Apparently, there are 2 other Pearl's in San Francisco (Pearl's Deluxe). Hopefully, they are just as good as the joint in Mill Valley.

---
Upon recommendation from Inexorable Tash, I tried out Super Duper (the one on Market St.) but it wasn't as good as Pearl's. It was very tasty but much too sloppy. The pattie actually looked like a flying saucer; thick in the centre, flat on the edges! Weird...but special!

Missed opportunity:
UMAMI Burgers! (It's also a chain in some other, major U.S. cities so if anyone else feels like giving some feedback, you'd be more than welcome to do so.) Inexorable Tash & Le Saboteur both recommended Umami...Next time, dudes!

Pearl's in Mill Valley RO-O-O-O-O-O-OCKS!
Old 03-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #73
mattzilla2010
IndyFan

Got one for you, Stoo.

If you're ever visiting L.A. try a bar called Father's Office - they have a burger that's insanely delicious. I had one last night and instantly thought of this thread.

Article about the Father's Office Burger:
http://la.eater.com/archives/2013/04/19/sang_yoon_on_the_history_of_the_fathers_office_bur ger.php

Oh, and the beer is good too
mattzilla2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #74
Pale Horse

Just chillin’ with a nice Omaha Sirloin Steak Double Patty Burger with Organic backyard grown Butter Leaf Lettuce and Heirloom Tomatoes, Pepper Jack Cheese and Apple-wood Bacon and a hint of yellow mustard all on a bakery baked pretzel bun.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #75
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzilla2010
If you're ever visiting L.A. try a bar called Father's Office - they have a burger that's insanely delicious. I had one last night and instantly thought of this thread.

Article about the Father's Office Burger:
http://la.eater.com/archives/2013/04/19/sang_yoon_on_the_history_of_the_fathers_office_bur ger.php
That looks fantastically delicious, Mattzilla. Thanks for thinking of this thread. The article states that they don't do substitutes or additions like ketchup. The owner explains why, and I can understand, but I ALWAYS put ketchup on my burgers. Lots of it!

That said, Father's Office looks worth a try. I haven't been to L.A. in almost 15 years but if the opportunity strikes again, I'll definitely pay that place a visit. Thanks for the recommendation!
Quote:
Just chillin’ with a nice Omaha Sirloin Steak Double Patty Burger with Organic backyard grown Butter Leaf Lettuce and Heirloom Tomatoes, Pepper Jack Cheese and Apple-wood Bacon and a hint of yellow mustard all on a bakery baked pretzel bun.
The list of burger joints to check out in L.A. is growing…including your house! Those babies look scrumptious and I love your description. Have you ever done a triple pattie?