Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 1

yodazone

Dark Horse just posted a 3-page Omnibus preview of the first Indy issue from the Marvel run:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/15-824/Indiana-Jones-Omnibus-The-Further-Adventures-Volume-1

ijomv3p1bm4.jpg

ijomv3p2po3.jpg

ijomv3p3uh0.jpg

Bright and clean pages without the old comic smell!

(y)

phantom train

Thanks for posting this info. - these reprints look superb! The print and color are incredible - much, much better than the originals. I am really looking forward to this.

phantom train

The contrast between the forthcoming DH reprint and the original Marvel comics page is truly stunning - It's amazing how much better the reprint looks.

This is just my .02, but I think one of the reasons that comic companies don't reprint and re-color older comics more often may be because it's logistically difficult to find the original print of an older comic, find the right colors to reprint this with, etc.
So, I think it's probably easier to just come up with a new comic than to
re-color and reprint an older comic, which is why we may not see reprints as often as we do new material. After all, look how long it took a comic company to reprint these old Indy comics - at least 25+ years.

However, when this is done properly we get a result like we now see with these Indy Marvel reprints, which now have new life breathed into them by DH. Hopefully all of the Marvel IJ reprints will look as good as these samples.

Last edited:
What about the fabled "Lost Issue Number 35" from the Marvel Run?

I heard rumors that issue 35 was actually completed, but was never published due to poor sales. It would be awesome to see this in the omnibus.

It makes sense, as I have all of the Marvel run and it definitely did not seem like a final issue. It wasn't advertised anywhere on the cover if I remember correctly and the story just ended like many of the previous issues with no "riding off into the sunset" kind of tidying up for loose ends. It definitely read like there would be more issues.

indyclone25

well i have the entire run of the marvel series and i do like the reprints colors --- i will have to get the book when it comes out ---- darn you indiana jones ---

DIrishB

I have the entire run of the Further Adventures as well, all in great condition. I'll wait until all three volumes have been released, then I'll just Ebay the single issues. Should still get a good price for the complete run. The vibrant colors and nice digest volume of the Omnibus make it attractive for me even though I own the original comics. It seems I'm not the only one, either...kudos to Dark Horse on these volumes. I love the Omnibus approach.

Avilos

The original coloring on new white paper looks very good to me.

I would rather DK had recolored their Marvel Star Wars comics. The original coloring was very bright. Of course this was due to the newsprint of the time being so dark and the printing being in exact. Back then it was necessary. But on the new white paper those too often seemed gaudy. Overpowering the inking details which can be finally be seen.

Some you be quick to say those were "respecting the original comics". Umm... NO! They were colored that way do to the printing quality of the time. On new paper the end result is completely different!

End of rant! ;)

Back to my point, these reprints do look good with the original colors. At least in the preview pages, the colors are limited and subdued. Which suits the Indiana Jones era very well.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
pg001.jpg

I guess editors are erased from history...
Please note I'm posting this only after Dark Horse did first, and follow suit.

Edit: Merged, adding the 2 other pages for comparison...
pg002.jpg

pg003.jpg

Avilos

They should have recolored that last panel. When Dunn falls on to the table. The background is yellow and the table green. Very little difference. Making it hard to tell what has happened. But also the table is shown in the previous panel as brown.

I am all for respecting the original color design. But that is a mistake which confuses the storytelling.

indyclone25

it would have been nice of them to do that but they are staying with keeping the stories colored exactly as the originals

Avilos

aJakeinthePlane said:
Keeping the coloration preserves the integrity of the artist's vision. you wouldn't change the colors in one of the films.

Rarely did the artist have much input into the colors back then. The printing process was so limited they took what was available.

To me this argument is like saying "The first time I saw RAIDERS was on video tape. With fuzzy picture and over saturated colors. So that is the only way I ever want to see it!"

walker

update on Further Adventures AND Lego Comic

Hey everyone
I was just on Amazon and noticed that the Further Adventures omnibus is finally posted in their "search inside" program, so you can check out the color and reprint quality for yourselves. On first glance, it looks really good. And thankfully they have included the covers for each individual comic (something I was pretty annoyed they did not do for the Dark Horse series compilations). Click on Search Inside and then "surprise me" over and over to see the most samples. If you try to browse in order, you get cut off after something like 5 pages. The TOC gives all of the writing and art attributions for both cover and interior, so that's cool too.

On another note, for those of you who were hoping to see the official Lego Indy comic, I found the artist's website online and he has posted all three pages for your viewing pleasure. Check it out at the link below.

http://davidwhiteillustration.blogspot.com/2008/05/may-lego-indiana-jones-comic.html

'Til next time adventurers
walker