The European Alps

Finn

Staff member
I've been on a crossing from Austria to Italy. Nice scenery... considering what I was able to see through that train window.

There're lot worse places to travel into if you want to see mountains, I guess. It's a relatively safe area and the people are friendly. And thanks to English becoming the new <i>lingua franca</i> at least in Europe, no one should have any problems with making him- or herself to be understood either.

But I bet we have people here who're even more able to tell you about the area in even more detail.

<small>Also, perhaps this should be moved in the Globetrotting section? I know that the topic opener hasn't been in the location at hand, but we're sure going to get a lot of travel memories from the responders.</small>

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I have been to Austria twice, Southern Germany and Northern Italy once. I loved the Tirol. Huge mountains, lovely buildings, good Schnitzels. Definitely worth visiting.

westford

Switzerland and Austria have some great mountain scenery. I'm looking at my mouse mat right now which has a pic of the Grossglockner (Austrian mountain - the 'big bell') on it...

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I lived in the French Alps for over ten years and I can garantee that it is worth it. It's amazingly beautiful, the mountains are pretty sharp and high, colorful and vast. It's breathtaking, don't hesitate one more second!!!! I'd definitly recomend the 'massif des Ecrins' which is the biggest natural park in France and known for it outstanding hikes. Of course i can only speak of what I know so...

EDIT: Thread moved

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I live on the foot of the Rocky Mountains, but I would love to see the Alps. The closest I've come to seeing them is the Matterhorn at Disneyland.:eek:

Someday when I get a chance to tour Europe, I will make special trip just to see them.

ElodieJones

LOL, of course in reality it's not exactly like in Disneyland !

But me, I am not better. I have really see the Matterhorn (Cervin in French) this year...

The first time, I was only few months...
I was impressed. It's a beautiful mountain, and, very famous. But there are a lot of beautiful mountains...