Smitty's Junk

DiscoLad

Wow they got the Jack Sparrow figure spot on.
I wish they put that much care into the Indiana Jones one. :,\

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
Wow they got the Jack Sparrow figure spot on.
I wish they put that much care into the Indiana Jones one. :,\

I still think their Indy is the best 1/6 available at present, but he's nowhere near perfect (head, holster, jacket). Whereas Jack just looks stunning.

Jack is quite the pole sitter...
Montana Smith said:
100_0772.jpg

...and Mutt has some serious motorcycle snot trails...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Jack is quite the pole sitter...

...and Mutt has some serious motorcycle snot trails...

Mutty boy is hanging on by the skin of his teeth, along with Dovchenko and the diminutive Cairo Swordsman.

Captain America has already decamped to be with his WWII buddies.

Montana Smith

Finally got a "Broomhandle" Mauser. :cool:

Even if it is in need of some tlc!

100_0780.jpg

100_0784.jpg

100_0783.jpg

100_0776.jpg

100_0788.jpg

It's a replica, made by Hudson, of the Model 1930 version of the Mauser C96 with removable magazine.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Finally got a "Broomhandle" Mauser. :cool:
You lucky b*stard!:gun: Winston Churchill used one during the famous & fateful, cavalry charge at Omdurman in The Sudan, 1898. (The last, full British charge.)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
You lucky b*stard!:gun: Winston Churchill used one during the famous & fateful, cavalry charge at Omdurman in The Sudan, 1898. (The last, full British charge.)

Churchill might have been a lucky so and so as well...

I picked up a book today, German Military Handguns, 1879-1918 by John Walter. Under the Mauser C96 section it records:

Trials held in Britain in the early 1900s had been very uncomplimentary about the Mauser. A report of the CISA, in July 1901, had shown 55 jams in 180 rounds, though this had been largely due to a weak magazine follower spring. Another, from the Captain of the HMS Excellent, WO Paper 77/19/1459 of September 1901, said of the Mauser: Advantages - Nil. Disadvantages - Perpetual jams. Bad feed. Unsafe. Pistol when loaded and cocked will fire when the safety catch is moved from 'safe' to 'fire' (without touching the trigger or hammer).

Nevertheless, I've always liked the look of the C96 since I discovered it was what Han used to shoot Greedo first! ;)

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
'Needs tlc'
... Haha. I call that character, it's flippin gorgeous. :)

Looks like the finish was intentionally removed to get back to bare metal. The tangent-leaf back site is also missing.

But I've wanted one for a long time. It has a place reserved for it on the wall. :D

Montana Smith

On the same day as the gun there was also this 1797 George III Cartwheel Twopence piece:

100_0794.jpg

100_0796.jpg

100_0799.jpg

In 1797, during the reign of George III, the Cartwheel Twopence piece was struck by Matthew Boulton at the Soho Mint.

This is by far the largest base metal coin issued in the UK, weighing two ounces (56.7 g) and measuring 41 mm diameter and 5 mm thick. On the obverse is a portrait of George III facing right, with the inscription GEORGIUS III D G REX, while the reverse shows Britannia seated facing left, holding an olive branch and trident, with BRITANNIA above and 1797 below.

The weight means that the coin is very susceptable to edge knocks.

The coin was found to be too heavy for regular use, and no more copper or bronze twopence coins were struck until decimalisation in 1971.

There are many late strikes made by Matthew Boulton in a variety of metals, and further ones made by W.J.Taylor when he bought the dies in 1848. I believe that the chief way these later issues can be distinguished is by marks resulting from die corrosion. He also produced a pattern or patterns dated 1805 with a different design.

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/twod.html

Finn

Staff member
It's obviously there for shmuck bait. Anyone who tries to jump Monty by utilizing his own arsenal will go for that "Oo! Shiny!" on the center while cleverly placed most out of reach is the one that could actually hurt someone... granted you know to grab it by the barrel and use it as a club.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
It's obviously there for shmuck bait. Anyone who tries to jump Monty by utilizing his own arsenal will go for that "Oo! Shiny!" on the center while cleverly placed most out of reach is the one that could actually hurt someone... granted you know to grab it by the barrel and use it as a club.

It's a valid consideration, for when the zombie apocalypse comes.

800px-Shaun1a.jpg

800px-Shaun8.jpg

DiscoLad said:
Random out-of-place automatic in the center. XD

The shiny one isn't really blingy gold, but nickel.

Not a bad replica of a Beretta M1934,

100_0156.jpg

when compared to the real thing:

241_5.jpg

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
The shiny one isn't really blingy gold, but nickel.

Not a bad replica of a Beretta M1934,
I think both me and Disco were actually referring to the MP5... at least I was.

You know what that collection is missing? An AK, or at least a variant.

Montana Smith

Finn said:

I thought Disco meant the MP5 first, but then you said "shiny"! (I was forgetting the Firefly meaning of "shiny").

Handguns are what appeal most, but maybe one day I'll have an AK. The place where I got my Tokarev always have some in stock (at around £250) as they import weapons from Russia and eastern Europe.

DiscoLad

Finn said:

I agree with Finn on both points.
A rare occasion. 0_o

:p

Yeah, Montana, I figured it wasn't a golden gun. :D

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
I thought Disco meant the MP5 first, but then you said "shiny"! (I was forgetting the Firefly meaning of "shiny").
Heh, I'm not quite sure if the MP5 is any cooler than the rest of stuff you've got hanging there. I simply used it as a stock phrase in reference to a thing that could distract you easily. It does kinda jump out.

Montana Smith said:
Handguns are what appeal most, but maybe one day I'll have an AK. The place where I got my Tokarev always have some in stock (at around £250) as they import weapons from Russia and eastern Europe.
It's pretty hard to find a weapon with more historical value than that, so it should definitely be hanging on that wall.

I've actually handled a genuine one, btw, with live ammo inside. And yes, fired, too. Surprisingly accurate, on single fire at least. Though I'm even more familiar with RK-62, the stock weapon of FDF. While even more accurate than its Russian cousin, I have to say I might actually prefer the AK at least out in the field. The RK had a bit more delicate mechanism, making it less resistant to dirt grime. Also, it had a metal stock and plastic handguards instead of wooden ones as in the AK which made it a b*tch to handle in subzero temperatures. In fact, the standard issue leather mittens are nicknamed "no can dos" over here due to the fact you'll have to remove 'em to fire your weapon.

Another thing we all had to manage was to field strip and put the thing together in less than 30 seconds, 45 with your eyes covered. Ahh, the memories. Make so easy to appreciate civilian life.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
It's pretty hard to find a weapon with more historical value than that, so it should definitely be hanging on that wall.

I've actually handled a genuine one, btw, with live ammo inside. And yes, fired, too. Surprisingly accurate, on single fire at least. Though I'm even more familiar with RK-62, the stock weapon of FDF. While even more accurate than its Russian cousin, I have to say I might actually prefer the AK at least out in the field. The RK had a bit more delicate mechanism, making it less resistant to dirt grime. Also, it had a metal stock and plastic handguards instead of wooden ones as in the AK which made it a b*tch to handle in subzero temperatures. In fact, the standard issue leather mittens are nicknamed "no can dos" over here due to the fact you'll have to remove 'em to fire your weapon.

Another thing we all had to manage was to field strip and put the thing together in less than 30 seconds, 45 with your eyes covered. Ahh, the memories. Make so easy to appreciate civilian life.

So the FDF didn't stretch to providing something like these?

GermanArmyTriggerFingerMittens.jpg

Did you volunteer, or did this apply to you, making you a permanent reservist?

Ideally I'd love to own an MP44, the father of the AK-47:

MP44.jpg

But they cost around £2,500 when they turn up. So it would have to be a replica instead!