That eagle symbol in the Indy Offical Novels

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I have read the interview with McGregor and he didn't really know what the symbol at the beginning of each chapter meant. However, in reading the novels I think that McGregor (in particular) found a meaning for it As those who have read his books know that the eagle is Indy's animal spirit (Indy went on a vision quest and this is mentioned in the novel of LC) and the symbol is an eagle. My theory is that the eagle is Indy and is also a symbol for being an American. The eagle is over water representing that he is well travelled. Any thoughts?

Johan

You are reading into this thing too much. Its just a cool symbol to fill space, I don't think there was any intention for the readers of the Indy books to go that deep to find a meaning for a symbol its MacGregor not the Kebra Negast.

IndyBuff

Violet Indy said:
I have read the interview with McGregor and he didn't really know what the symbol at the beginning of each chapter meant. However, in reading the novels I think that McGregor (in particular) found a meaning for it As those who have read his books know that the eagle is Indy's animal spirit (Indy went on a vision quest and this is mentioned in the novel of LC) and the symbol is an eagle. My theory is that the eagle is Indy and is also a symbol for being an American. The eagle is over water representing that he is well travelled. Any thoughts?

I've had this same thought too. Since the eagle is related to a vision quest that Indy went on it would make sense to put it in the books. Of course, it could just be a neat decoration too. Either way, I always thought it looked pretty cool.:whip:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
IndyJohan said:
You are reading into this thing too much. Its just a cool symbol to fill space, I don't think there was any intention for the readers of the Indy books to go that deep to find a meaning for a symbol its MacGregor not the Kebra Negast.

I'm sorry. It must be my art teachers finally getting to me about find meaning in works of art. And the fact that I'm bored until university in 3 weeks.