Young Indy Screenplays

Stoo

Wow. Great discovery, Moedred!:hat: Some of the Young Indy scripts are starting to ride the waves, now. Wow!.:D

They would be fantastic to read...and the 3 which you've uncovered (so far) are EXTRA-special because they're all for episodes with 'Old Indy/George Hall' bookends. Of these 3, Gavin Scott's "SPAIN, May 1917" is/should be the most valuable (in my opinion), since the writer, himself, actually played a character in the episode.

Gavin Scott is also an avid fan of Jules Verne. ;)

Along with Tash, I'll give some ca$h.(y)

Stoo

I think that the found script entitled, "EPISODE FOURTEEN, RUSSIA, 1917 (JULY)", is genuine.;)

Stoo

Overdue Public Gratitude

Certain staff members of TheRaider.net have done a wonderful thing by purchasing & sharing these scripts a couple of months ago. BIG THANKS to them!:hat: What a delight this place can be.

The documents contain all sorts of extra information about the episodes; details about the characters, locations, dialogue, etc. that cannot be found elsewhere. For fans of the show, these scripts are a collective treasure trove!(y)

Haven't read them all, completely, yet but get the feeling that they might hold some deleted scenes. (If any get noticed, please mention them in this thread.)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I scoured the internet and created a page for the site. Keep in mind these episode numbers are completely inconsistent with the show, other scripts, or themselves. Interesting to note is the Mata Hari episode penned by "Suzanne Vale and Dinah Kaufman," semi-autobiographical protagonists from novels Postcards from the Edge (1987) and Surrender the Pink (1990). Two pen names, nothing schizo about that...

5077d1339649424-production-used-script-france-youngindie-scriptep5-1.jpg

If you see more in the wild not listed, do let us know!

Demitasse

Moedred said:
Two pen names, nothing schizo about that...

I was just about to say "but didn't Carrie Fisher write the Mata Hari episode?" Then I googled the novel titles. Duh. :) Would love to read her stage directions for the goofy sex scenes. I bet they're hilarious.

I am a few days away from posting my "review" of the edited scenes from the Russia 1917 script in this thread. It is proving to be a lot of work!

Have any new scripts surfaced besides London, Russia and Barcelona?

Udvarnoky said:
I'd be particularly interested in any Darabont teleplays that surface.

Me too! With as big as a heavyweight as Darabont went on to become, I'm surprised this part of his career gets so little attention. Also surprised he never flung Laurie Holden at YIJC... :dead:

Udvarnoky

Here's Darabont's perspective on the experience. (The interview is from around 1999, so his view of Lucas is favorable.)

You’ve had a longstanding relationship with George Lucas stemming from your stint writing on the Young Indiana Jones series. What are some of the most important lessons you’ve learned from him?

He’s an amazing individual and quite a teacher in his own quiet way. I value that experience enormously for the opportunities it gave me as a writer to grow. And that’s actually why I took the job in the first place. It certainly wasn’t for the pay. [Laughs] Scale for television ain’t nothing to write home about. Let me tell ya. But I saw in there an opportunity. At the time, I was doing a lot of the writer-for-hire thing, doing a lot of script doctoring -- mostly on features that I found mostly uninspired. I was starting to feel like I needed more as a writer to grow beyond that which I was doing. And George gave me the opportunity to be one of the writers on Young Indy. Boy, was that a lovely way to evolve as a writer. Just terrific. Because I didn’t have anybody’s forty-million-dollar feature riding in the balance, I could really get down to the focus of what two characters will say to each other in a story where nothing explodes. And I wrote a few where I got to blow up some stuff. I blew up a train damn well once. [Laughs] But actually it was mostly very, very small-scale character-driven writing, and that was just great. One of the reasons I think I held off writing Shawshank as long as I did was because, on some level, I don’t think I felt ready to tackle the adaptation. I don’t know if I had the confidence or the abilities yet. In a way, I think I was waiting for my abilities to catch up with my ambitions for that script.

Kinda sad to read that now.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Demitasse said:
Have any new scripts surfaced
Yes! Recently acquired Hollywood Follies and placed it on the site. Young Indy walks into the sunset... actually he takes a cab, Blazing Saddles style. Missing page 5.

That's all for now, unless someone knows or is this guy and he's willing to make some scans. Kevjh's images are the source of most of the info.

Raiders90

I wish some of the unfilmed screenplays (like for the 1921-1922 season, Indy meets Belloq episodes) would leak.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
I wish some of the unfilmed screenplays (like for the 1921-1922 season, Indy meets Belloq episodes) would leak.
'Twould be a dream come true.
Moedred said:
Recently acquired Hollywood Follies and placed it on the site. Young Indy walks into the sunset... actually he takes a cab, Blazing Saddles style. Missing page 5.

That's all for now, unless someone knows or is this guy and he's willing to make some scans. Kevjh's images are the source of most of the info.
Belated thanks, Moedred, for uploading "Hollywood Follies".:hat: I like how the last line of dialogue is Indy saying, "I belong in a museum!".

Great list you've compiled on the site. Couple of things about the entry for "Curse of the Jackal":
1) What does 'MOW' mean?:confused:
2) A tiny fix needs to made for the Egypt date.

That guy's collection is amazing, especially this motherlode item! Wish I could see more photos of it because those yellow, sticky notes provide clues to deleted stuff.
InexorableTash said:
"Ahlhorn" is up on eBay. Not saying anyone should refrain from outbidding, but if I win I'll OCR and post the results.
Right on! One of my favourite episodes!(y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
1) What does 'MOW' mean?
Movie of the week, a screenwriting term. Otherwise the screenplay episode numbers are listed, which may have changed from draft to draft to air date. Titles too. As if we needed another way to order episodes! I went through IMDb and added the other episodes, but it seems incomplete. Stoo, do you want to proofread again and fill in the gaps with the earliest known titles?

Edit: I see what's missing, most unaired episodes and the tv films. Adding now.

Last edited:

Stoo

Following your format:

Jonathan Hales
Morocco, 1917
Princeton, August (or May) 1919

Jule Selbo
Tangiers, July 1909 (#34)
New Guinea, March 1919 (#42)
Bombay, April 1919 (#43)*
Chicago, May 1920**

*Frank Darabont was supposed to write this one
**Not to be confused with her script for "Chicago, April 1920"

Matthew Jacobs & Ben Burtt
Ravenelle, Early February 1917 (#39)

Frank Darabont, Matthew Jacobs, Jonathan Hales
Russia, March 1909 (#32)
Athens, July 1910 (#31)

Indyvidual episodes of ?Hollywood Follies?
Matthew Jacobs & Jonathan Hales
Hollywood, Early August 1920 (#46)
Newhall, Late August 1920 (#47)

Unknown
Bookends

---
These are from my own notes. You may want to double-check for any mistakes. The actual videos probably have more specific info about the writing credits but I won?t have the chance to check them for quite awhile.

Hope this helps!:hat:

Edit: Just read your edit. Ha!:D Hope this info helps, anyway.

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Stoo! I updated the page, and removed the scripts' episode numbers, which don't help distinguish between drafts. Someday maybe an unproduced draft will emerge!

InexorableTash

Acquired! Scanned! Not OCR'd yet.

Highlights:
  • 74 A4 pages
  • Old Indy Bookends! More excitement in the air, even at his age.
  • Major cut sequence: after flying into the night sky, Charles takes pot shots at a Zeppelin, then crashes the plane in Belgium! They manage to repair it with the help of some locals, and are back up in the air the next day. (This explains why Indy is so late for his meeting with Fokker.)
  • Numerous other scenes are longer or shorter than what was broadcast.