Is any Indy film hard for you to watch for religious reasons?

Col. Detritch

Nope!:D

I'm Christain and it has never effected me enjoying these movies. I think Indy films have a good thing goin' actually, they heven't repeated a religion once.
The Ark- Judaism (Christain as well but not as much!:cool: )
The Shankara Stones- Hinduism
The Holy Grail- Christianity
The Crystal Skull- Is tough but I would say it would best apeal to believers (and Inca:p )

It's a good mix of religious acceptance so everyone can enjoy. I atually once had a teacher who was a real heavy catholic, wouldn't read, touch or assosiate with which craft themed things or even Halloween. I hade made a LC joke in class and she laughed and understood it. It was good to see that even she could enjoy Indy without religious constraints.:hat:

sgttom

Aliens aren't exactly anti-christian. There could be other planets or solar systems occupied by other beings. I find it very unlikely and do not believe it but its possible. I do think however it was kinda stupid to have Christianity, Hinduism, and Aliens in the same trilogy. Aliens especially but I won't start another rant on that. In my opinion movies can certainly have a bad effect on a person, and I certainly wouldn't label Indiana Jones as having nothing morally wrong it it. But anyways the mulitple religous ideas and such bothered me a little, not because of my religious beliefs but because it makes little sense to put them all together as real. :confused:
oh btw I don't read Harry Potter :)

arkfinder

As a follower of Christ Jesus I have no problem with any of the films because that's all they are. A good solid piece of fiction.

But, it is a great question to be raised so a tip of the cap to you for asking :hat: .

Mickiana

The religious content of Indiana Jones movies is very shallow treatment of any religious or spiritual issues. Mysticism, spiritualism and paranormal occurrences make great fodder for B grade escapist entertainment, because B grade movies are not trying to seriously treat them and most of us love that, because we don't want to seriously treat them either. If we really wanted to seriously investigate religious issues we wouldn't turn to Indiana Jones, would we? Science cannot resolve god and movies like Indiana Jones only reflect our shallow, sentimentalised emotional attachments to ideas of 'higher powers'. Mind you, I love watching IJ because I love escapism and the character of IJ is marvelously amoral and at best is very reactionary and instinctual.

arkfinder

To me the best was Raiders.

In the Bible it is written that God told the people to walk a thousand yards behind it. And not to touch it. Well while walking a person got past the walking limit and was struck dead. Another time they were setting the Ark down and it started to slip and a guy simply put his had out to help it stay on the table and was struck down.

So in Raiders when it's opened and the peoples faces start to melt I can see where Lucas & Co. thought that would be plusable.

Montana Smith

Please don't take offense at anything I write below - this is purely my own thoughts based on research, and not a criticism of anyone's personal faith.

As an atheist I don't find any of the films hard to watch. I see Indy as inhabiting a supernatural world. There is no proof of God's existence in any of the films, only the way in which people interpret the Ark or the Grail. A Christian might interpret it as God's work. A Jew might discount the Grail. Not sure on Islam - but isn't the Koran the Old Testament (please correct me) - Mohammed visited Egypt and learnt Coptic Christianity. Much of Christianity also has its sources in ancient Egyptian religion - there are distinct similarities, as there probably are between most religions.

I see Egypt as an important religious centre from ancient times, and it just also happens to be the location of the Ark in ROTLA.

My theory is that in the Indiana Jones universe the inter-dimensional beings of KOTSC are the ancient gods who have been watching human cultures, collecting their artifacts and imparting knowledge and technology to man (a similar idea to the black monoliths in 2001: A Space Odyssey). The idea of ancient astronauts was, of course, put forward in numerous books by von Daniken - who was himself later exposed for faking some of his 'finds'. Nevertheless it makes great material for fiction. If I look at the Indiana Jones universe in this way, I have no problem watching the films.

Matt

Mickiana

The god of the old testament is a literary figure. I don't think there is anything in the whole of the bible that was meant to be taken literally. I also extend that to the Indiana Jones movies.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
The god of the old testament is a literary figure. I don't think there is anything in the whole of the bible that was meant to be taken literally. I also extend that to the Indiana Jones movies.

The Old Testament God and the New Testament God are quite distinct characters. Brimstone and fire vs a little more forgiveness. The God in Raiders was the violent, vengeful character that created a flood to destroy his toys-gone-bad (even though he was omnipotent and knew that man was going to choose the wrong path - that just smacks of sadism, and was the first realization that turned me from religion. As a young child I had a big illustrated Bible. A double page spread depicting the flood with drowning animals really sickened me. From that moment on I began to question). It also reminds me of Milton's 'Paradise Lost' where Lucifer (the Light-Bringer or Promethean version of Satan) is the democrat who holds counsel, whilst God is the authoritarian ruler.

Religions all over the world seem have similarities. You might trace them back to early superstions (such as agricultural sun-worship), but given time those in power began to use those superstious beliefs to their own advantage. In times where the common peasant was little better off than a slave, what better way to prevent them from committing suicide (and depriving your workforce) than instilling the fear of eternal hell into them? Hasan i Sabah, the Old Man of the Mountain, reversed that idea: you can go to heaven precisely by committing suicide. The Old Man's assassins were convinced to carry out acts of assassination from which they had no hope of escaping with their lives. Their reward was a place in heaven. Sadly there are still people who believe this, but now they employ bombs instead of daggers.

Religion is an interesting subject to explore, as Lucas and Spielberg have demonstrated. The trouble is that countless people have suffered through the course of history because of the way in which it has been conjured up and misued. As Indy says, archaeology is interested in 'facts', if you want 'truth' take a philosophy class. That is in fact one of the first things I was taught at degree level history. There is no truth, only possibilities. History is the culmination of the viewpoints of its participants, and people often make poor or biased witnesses.

Therefore, the safest thing the US Government could do with the Ark was box it up and hide it amongst thousands of other similar boxes - and forget about it. You can't destroy it, you don't want your enemies to use it, so just forget about it.

Matt

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Montana Smith
The Old Testament God and the New Testament God are quite distinct characters. Brimstone and fire vs a little more forgiveness. The God in Raiders was the violent, vengeful character that created a flood to destroy his toys-gone-bad (even though he was omnipotent and knew that man was going to choose the wrong path - that just smacks of sadism, and was the first realization that turned me from religion. As a young child I had a big illustrated Bible. A double page spread depicting the flood with drowning animals really sickened me. From that moment on I began to question). It also reminds me of Milton's 'Paradise Lost' where Lucifer (the Light-Bringer or Promethean version of Satan) is the democrat who holds counsel, whilst God is the authoritarian ruler.

Religions all over the world seem have similarities. You might trace them back to early superstions (such as agricultural sun-worship), but given time those in power began to use those superstious beliefs to their own advantage. In times where the common peasant was little better off than a slave, what better way to prevent them from committing suicide (and depriving your workforce) than instilling the fear of eternal hell into them? Hasan i Sabah, the Old Man of the Mountain, reversed that idea: you can go to heaven precisely by committing suicide. The Old Man's assassins were convinced to carry out acts of assassination from which they had no hope of escaping with their lives. Their reward was a place in heaven. Sadly there are still people who believe this, but now they employ bombs instead of daggers.

Religion is an interesting subject to explore, as Lucas and Spielberg have demonstrated. The trouble is that countless people have suffered through the course of history because of the way in which it has been conjured up and misued. As Indy says, archaeology is interested in 'facts', if you want 'truth' take a philosophy class. That is in fact one of the first things I was taught at degree level history. There is no truth, only possibilities. History is the culmination of the viewpoints of its participants, and people often make poor or biased witnesses.

Therefore, the safest thing the US Government could do with the Ark was box it up and hide it amongst thousands of other similar boxes - and forget about it. You can't destroy it, you don't want your enemies to use it, so just forget about it.

Matt

I hear what you're saying.

In the Christain belief (I don't know if this applies to all strands like the Jehovah's Witnesses) the Old Testiment is fiction, simply moral stories. The New Testiment is not all to be taken at face value either. Iwould have been interesting to see how they handled the Vengful God in Raiders and the Loving God in LC. I guess though, to keep a rhythmic pattern, they didn't play on it much.

Originally Posted by sgttom
I do think however it was kinda stupid to have Christianity, Hinduism, and Aliens in the same trilogy.

Why? (Plus, not to nit-pick but it was 4 movies... a trilogy is 3). I think having something from a variety of religion makes it easier for everyone to enjoy Indy, it dosen't disprove anything!:hat:

Mickiana

Yes, it's better to talk about the intent of the story or the script objectively, as if it is a piece of art - it's not the truth, even if the viewer wants it to be the truth.

History is an interesting topic. More so than the events we call 'history', what is compelling is what actually comprises history, or more specifically, what do we think history is? Philosophically, history, as something providing a framework for the 'past', I think is a bit of a fabrication and is a part of the illusion of the existence of time. It's a hard one to get your head around, but if you assume there is no time, then the past, or 'history', cannot exist, except in our imaginations of course where it all started. But there are only events we remember, so the reliance is on memory which is a very shaky thing. Memory is not proof of time past. Where is there evidence of a past, or time at all?

I sound like I am straying off topic, but I think if we are to progress on religious issues (or all issues for that matter) we have to tackle this problem of the apparent existence of time. In a way, and this is very mind bending, if there is no time then the entire past occurred an instant ago and there is no future either.

Thank you for attending Dr Tyree's Philosophy class down the hall.

Team Indy

Mickiana, I tip my hat to you. :hat:

Of course, if you continue, you may disprove the existence of the universe... philosophy is like that.

Anyway, I found Last Crusade a bit strange due to religious reasons. I'm Jewish, and I believe in history, not religious stories. That being said, I know the Crusades were to kill Muslims and Jews for being "infidels" and to drive them out of the Holy Land. Hundreds of thousands were slaughtered. The Holy Grail was a myth.

Marcus Brody said, "The search for the Cup of Christ is the search for the divine in all of us." Although he meant that everyone was on a crusade to find a higher power within them, I personally believe his metaphor only applies to Christians. I believe Jesus is not the Messiah since he failed to save Israel from the Romans. I also believe Jesus had been Jewish all his life, disproving that he was the son of the Christian God. His blood is not holy, immortal, nor could it save Henry Jones Sr.'s life.

However, this doesn't detract from my enjoyment of Last Crusade. I found Henry Jones Sr. to be an enjoyable and entertaning character, I loved Indy and Henry Sr.'s relationship and how it progressed from hate to love. That's really what it's all about: finding inner strength and unity to love and protect the ones most dear to us, even with the challenges you have to face on the way. That's what makes it universal even though the storyline is ingrained in the Christian belief.

And, yes, what I said was mushy, but they were such brilliant actors that they were able to pull it off.

Peru1936

Team Indy said:
Marcus Brody said, "The search for the Cup of Christ is the search for the divine in all of us." Although he meant that everyone was on a crusade to find a higher power within them, I personally believe his metaphor only applies to Christians. I believe Jesus is not the Messiah since he failed to save Israel from the Romans. I also believe Jesus had been Jewish all his life, disproving that he was the son of the Christian God. His blood is not holy, immortal, nor could it save Henry Jones Sr.'s life.

I don't think Spielberg believes any of that either.;)

Montana Smith

Peru1936 said:
I don't think Spielberg believes any of that either.;)

LOL! Last Crusade is apparently more the work of George than Steven.

And remember your 'Life of Brian' - he's not the son of God, he's just a very naughty boy!

Mickiana

That's right Team Indy. What is existence? Is Descartes right? I suspect he isn't. I don't know much about Judaism. I was raised Catholic, which I am no longer. Though Gnostic Judaism sounds interesting. I am a big fan of Harold Bloom.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
What is existence? Is Descartes right? I suspect he isn't.

"I doubt, therefore I think. I think, therefore I am."

Somehow, from that premise Descartes found proof of God's existence.

Nietzsche: "God is dead. Long live the Superman."

I prefer to see it all as: "Man created God."

In doing so he metaphorically opened Pandora's box, and now there's no way we can close the lid again. The myth has grown out of all proportion, yet there are countless gods. Every individual who believes holds some version of their own god in their mind. Hence the virtually countless numbers of religions and off-shoots of religions in existence. Each one wants to see their god in the way that suits their sensibilities. So many seem to be content to kill in order that their version attains dominance.

As an atheist, I'm therefore in the camp that asserts that religion has done more harm than good. If only it were as simple as in ROTLA - put a lid on it and hide it away, and hope nobody discovers it again.

pellman

Here is an exchange I had with the Stephen Greydanus, author of www.decentfilms.com, movie reviews from a Catholic perspective, in which I make the case that Raiders is not very moral from a Catholic perspective. My original email is at the bottom.

> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:10:54 -0600
> Subject: Re: Moral problems with Raiders of the Lost Ark
> From: critic@decentfilms.com
> To: t_pellman@hotmail.com
>
> Hi Todd,
>
> Thanks for writing. You make an interesting argument, and I appreciate the
> style of thinking you're pursuing. I'm not convinced, though. Some
> thoughts:
>
> 1. You say Belloq's statement in the bar that Indy isn't so different from
> him "rings true." Yes. It's meant to, as the subsequent lines from Indy
> and Belloq suggest. Indy is not a pure hero; the movie doesn't lift him up
> as an exemplar of virtue. The locus of holiness in the film is not Indy or
> Marion, but the ark. That Indy is a morally flawed hero doesn't amount
> make "Raiders" a morally flawed movie.
>
> 2. Certainly we're meant to root for Indy as he goes against the Nazis to
> regain the ark. But I think that's at least partly because *we* look at
> the Nazis from our post-WWII point of view as the ultimate villains, and
> also because *we* believe the ark to be more than a mere historical
> artifact. Indy's moral grounds in undertaking the action are not identical
> to our moral grounds in rooting for him.
>
> Those points noted, I think Indy's use of deadly force may be less
> unjustified than you suggest:
>
> 3. As you note, the villains leave Indy and Marion to die in the Well of
> Souls. True, it's the main bad guys who are responsible here; the rest of
> the Nazi soldiers are just following orders. But it could equally be said
> that if Indy and Marion were caught after escaping, there isn't a soldier
> in the group who wouldn't shoot Indy and Marion on orders from those same
> villains. Indy and Marion are in deadly peril at every moment after they
> escape from the Well of Souls, and Indy responds in kind.
>
> 4. As further context, it was the Nazis who made the first use of deadly
> force in Nepal. Indy's first resort there, as elsewhere, is his non-lethal
> whip (even the famous gag with the swordsman was originally supposed to be
> a sword-whip duel, but Ford wasn't up to the physical challenge that day);
> thus he disarms Toht to prevent him from permanently disfiguring Marion --
> and urges him to let her go. The Nazis escalate and Indy and Marion are
> forced to defend themselves with deadly force. The villains later made
> further use of deadly force by trying to poison Indy.
>
> 5. You say "From Indy's point of view the ark is merely a grand prize. No
> one is harmed by it being in the German's possession. There is nothing
> heroic about retrieving it from them." It's not entirely clear to me that
> this is true. Certainly Indy has "been to Sunday school." He glibly
> brushes off Marcus's cautions as "a lot of superstitious hocus-pocus" --
> perhaps too glibly. And when the time comes, he knows enough to tell
> Marion to close her eyes, not to look. It may be that on some level at
> least Indy has not entirely discounted the possibility that if the Nazis
> possess the ark it could be disastrous for the world.
>
> 6. Granted a level of sporting spirit, the big bald German is a sadistic
> bully whose death is not on Indy's head. He could easily have subdued Indy
> with minimal force any time he wanted to, which is certainly what the Lone
> Ranger would have done in such a situation. He chose fisticuffs instead,
> toying with Indy cat-and-mouse style, because it was more fun. Indy stood
> up to him as best he could, and while he could have warned the German
> before the other man's gruesome death, to do so would almost certainly
> have ultimately resulted in Indy's own death.
>
> 7. Indy's one-man assault on the Nazi caravan differs from the Communist
> ambush of the U.S. forces at Area 51 in several key respects. Indy,
> desperately outnumbered, "making it up as he goes," kills no one who isn't
> a clear and immediate threat to his own life -- who wouldn't quickly cause
> his own death. By contrast, the Communists at Area 51, following a
> well-prepared plan, have the drop on the U.S. forces, and could probably
> capture them unharmed had they wanted to; conversely, were they themselves
> to be captured, I'm not sure they would face capital punishment (although
> perhaps they might). In any case, the massacre was their plan going in.
>
> I don't say that these considerations entirely alleviate any moral
> concerns regarding Indy's behavior. But as per the earlier points I don't
> think it is necessary to clear Indy of all wrongdoing. The morality of the
> hero doesn't automatically carry over to the moral implications of the
> film.
>
> Hope that helps. Thanks for writing.
>
> Cheers, Steven D. Greydanus
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> Film critic, Decent Films | www.decentfilms.com
> National Catholic Register | www.ncregister.com
> Christianity Today Movies | www.christianitytodaymovies.com
> Member, Online Film Critics Society | Faith & Film Critics Circle
>
>
>
> > I am writing in hopes that you will reconsider the
> > moral/spiritual value rating for Raiders of the Lost Ark.
> >
> > I was twelve when Raiders first was released and I have been thus a nearly
> > lifelong fan of the film. But having watched it again recently I have
> > discovered that it is morally problematic. In a nutshell, this is because
> > of the number of German soldiers Indy injures or kills whose only crime
> > seems to have been -- participating in an archealogical dig and guarding it
> > and the retrieved relic as was their duty as soldiers. The Nazis on the
> > other hand kill --- NOBODY.
> >
> > They do attempt to kill Indy and Marion, though fail, true. But the only
> > culprits who are really responsible for that are the three principle
> > baddies.
> >
> > Consider Indy's situation on escaping the Well of Souls. The Germans
> > have the ark. From Indy's point of view the ark is merely a grand prize.
> > No one is harmed by it being in the German's possession. There is
> > nothing heroic about retrieving it from them. Yet Indy attacks the
> > airplane, killing the pilot, two mechanics and possibly some other ground
> > crew in the explosion -- none of whom were established to be in any way
> > villainous. They were just a bunch guys doing their rather ordinary
> > military jobs until attacked by Indy. What is the moral difference
> > between that and the attack by the Russians on the gate guards in the
> > opening of Crystal Skull?
> >
> > (Even at twelve I felt bad for the big bald German, who was just trying to
> > protect his airplane from an unknown enemy, and doing so in the kind of
> > fairplay manner reminiscent of, say, the Lone Ranger, e.g. never hits Indy
> > when he is down.)
> >
> > Then we have the same situation with the truck chase and battle. There is
> > no morally compelling for Indy to go after them. They are at worst
> > thieves, but most or all of the ordinary soldiers involved are ignorant of
> > any wrongdoing. They are threatening no one. No one is any danger if
> > Indy lets them go. But he attacks them and kills a number of them. Of course
> > they fight back!
> >
> > Belloc's statement in the bar that they are not so very different rings
> > true. "Men will kill for it. Men like you and me."
> >
> > Looking forward to your reply,
> >
> > Todd Pellman

Montana Smith

Todd, that was an interesting exchange.

Virtually all action-driven movies are morally problematic. I remember having the same doubts when I first watched James Bond films. Bond was a callous, womanizing killer (and wanton destroyer of both public and private property!)

Indiana Jones falls into the same mould. He doesn't go after the Ark with a Bible in one hand and a whip in the other. He went because he was an unrepentent treasure hunter. Brody's museum was always his excuse. He was no different to those who emptied the tombs in Egypt and brought the obects back to European museums and private collections. You might defend those actions by saying they were protecting artifacts, but it was still theft. Greece still wants the Elgin Marbles back from the British Museum.

Even in 1957 Indy was attempting to rob a grave, and was only dissuaded by Mutt.

Yet, it is Indy's ambiguous morality that makes him what he is, and why he's still popular. He isn't your typical modern hero, but one who harks back to the days of imperialsim: when the white man deemed himself king, and all lesser lands existed only for his profit. Even in that regard, though, Indiana marks himself out from the majority of his peers: he wasn't a racist.

As for Nazis, the term Nazi is overworked with regards to the 1930s and 1940s. Today it is politically correct to refer to 'Nazi Germany', so as not to offend modern Germany. However, most occupants of 'Nazi Germany' were not Nazis. Until June 1944 no German soldier (Wehrmacht) was permitted to join the Nazi Party. This was a concession Hitler allowed the Generals, who remained strong enough to defy the Fuehrer. The bomb plot of June 1944 (which almost succeeded in killing Hitler) changed all that. Hitler was furious and his distrust of his generals became complete.

No country wants to fall to another, regardless of the actions of its leader. Would the British or Americans accept an al Qaeda takeover because they disagreed with the policies of their leaders? I doubt it. So, after the British declared war on Germany the majority of Geman soldiers fought tooth and nail to carry out their orders, and to defend their country. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why it was so difficult to overthrow Hitler, and why so many on all sides had to die before an insane man and his nearest cronies decided the game was up. Does it make the Allied nations immoral for having to kill Germans?

On that basis, the Germans who Indiana kills in ROTLA were not technically Nazis (though they may have been sympathisers). In Campbell Black's novelization Wehrmacht Dietrich cannot stand Nazi Toht. Nevertheless, the intention of Dietrich is to bring the Ark to Hitler. This is as good a reason as any (at least in hindsight) for Indiana to get a little rough.

In the Last Crusade Indy's action become less ambiguous. He is up against Vogel and his SS troops. By 1938, even though Hitler has appeared in the 'Home and Garden' magazine as the vegetarian, animal loving, leader who was bringing Germany out of the chaos of 1918, there are some enlightened individuals who have knowledge of the dangerous situation that has emerged - of the 'political' prisons, of the actions against the Jews, communists, homosexuals, gypsies, and anyone else who didn't fit the required stereotype.

If we're on the subject of religion, morality and Nazis, then it needs to be said that the Catholic church did not escape the war unsullied. Some of their actions would make Indiana Jones appear saintly.

Oh, and there's another interesting thread on The Raven discussing whether or not Pat Roach's bald German was actually a Feld Gendarrme (military policeman), rather than a mechanic. That might alter how you view the fight under the flying wing. Based on first hand accounts most German soldiers typically disliked their military police.

Matt

Last edited: