Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Worst '80s "Raiders" Rip-Off
1982 - Tales of the Gold Monkey (TV Series) 1 2.33%
1983 - Treasure of the Four Crowns (3-D) 4 9.30%
1984 - Romancing the Stone 9 20.93%
1984 - The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik-Yak 7 16.28%
1985 - King Solomon's Mines + Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold 13 30.23%
1986 - Firewalker 2 4.65%
1986 - Sky Pirates 5 11.63%
1986 - Jungle Raiders 2 4.65%
1986 - The Mines of Kilimanjaro 0 0%
1987 - Jane and the Lost City 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #51
Mickiana
IndyFan

'Forgotten City' is a poor adaptation of Desmond Bagley's novel, 'The Vivero Letter', which I read years ago and quite enjoyed. It is about the recovery of artifacts from the cenotes in the Yucatan area. 'Forgotten City' is listed as 'The Vivero Letter' in IMDB.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #52
Duaner
IndyFan

Old thread here, but I just watched "Firewalker" and then searched it on here to see if any Indy fans had an opinion on it. I knew it was not going to be anything great, but considering it was an Indy-type movie, was directed by J. Lee Thompson (who directed "Guns of Navarone" - one of my all-time favorites + two "Planet of the Apes" sequels), starred Chuck Norris who I always enjoyed, and as a bonus had John Rhys-Davies in it, I figured I would probably like it. Sadly, it was terrible. I was shocked to see someone in this thread gave it an 8/10. I'd probably give it a 3 or 4. The humor was lame and the fighting is all kind of slapstick.

I haven't seen very many of the other 80s Indy "rip-offs" so I won't call "Firewalker" the worst just yet, but it was pretty bad. I actually liked "Romancing the Stone" (as well as "Jewel of the Nile"). The best Indy-style rip-off of the 80s is easily "High Road to China" in my opinion. I need to rewatch the Allan Quartermain movies because I don't remember them. I'm going to check out some of the other titles mentioned in this thread as well.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #53
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I can remember a TV series from the early 80's that I used to watch when I was younger called Bring 'em Back Alive. I t was about a big game trapper set in the far east in the late 1930s. It always reminded me of Indy in its execution.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #54
Indy1Jones2
IndyFan

Romancing the stone.
Indy1Jones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #55
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1Jones2
Romancing the stone.

I don't remember this scene being copied from Raiders...anywhere.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #56
roundshort
IndyFan

Pale, that was a deleted Scene, Indiana Jones the Cunning Ling.... never mind
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #57
Pale Horse

It's been too long good friend. Finally got an android. I'm almost 21st century.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #58
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
Old thread here, but I just watched "Firewalker" and then searched it on here to see if any Indy fans had an opinion on it. I knew it was not going to be anything great, but considering it was an Indy-type movie, was directed by J. Lee Thompson (who directed "Guns of Navarone" - one of my all-time favorites + two "Planet of the Apes" sequels), starred Chuck Norris who I always enjoyed, and as a bonus had John Rhys-Davies in it, I figured I would probably like it. Sadly, it was terrible. I was shocked to see someone in this thread gave it an 8/10. I'd probably give it a 3 or 4. The humor was lame and the fighting is all kind of slapstick.

I haven't seen very many of the other 80s Indy "rip-offs" so I won't call "Firewalker" the worst just yet, but it was pretty bad. I actually liked "Romancing the Stone" (as well as "Jewel of the Nile"). The best Indy-style rip-off of the 80s is easily "High Road to China" in my opinion. I need to rewatch the Allan Quartermain movies because I don't remember them. I'm going to check out some of the other titles mentioned in this thread as well.
Hi, Duaner. Nice to see that you resurrected my old thread.

"Firewalker" is not great by any means but it's definitely one of the better titles on the list so be warned when you watch the others! Funny that you mention J. Lee Thompson because a year before this movie he also directed "King Solomon's Mines" with John Rhys-Davies in it, too. Once upon a time, J. Lee used to make good films ("Ice Cold in Alex", "Cape Fear", etc.) but in the latter part of his career, he was making schlock.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what you have to say about the more obscure '80s rip-offs, whenever you get the chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
I can remember a TV series from the early 80's that I used to watch when I was younger called Bring 'em Back Alive. I t was about a big game trapper set in the far east in the late 1930s. It always reminded me of Indy in its execution.
Yeah! Not just any 'big game trapper' but the famous real-life, Frank Buck! (I would've included it in the poll but ran out of room.)

For anyone interested, we actually have a thread on that show: Bring 'Em Back Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1Jones2
Romancing the stone.
Was the worst? I guess you haven't see "Perils of Gwendoline" or "Treasure of the Four Crowns"!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #59
Duaner
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Funny that you mention J. Lee Thompson because a year before this movie he also directed "King Solomon's Mines" with John Rhys-Davies in it, too. Once upon a time, J. Lee used to make good films ("Ice Cold in Alex", "Cape Fear", etc.) but in the latter part of his career, he was making schlock.

I hadn't even realized that J. Lee Thompson directed "King Solomon's Mines" as well. When looking over his filmography, I see how right you were about the schlock in his later career. At least four of his final films were with Charles Bronson too. Bronson would be an actor who would fall in the same category. His early film roles were great, but later on nothing but junk.

I'm going to have to add "Ice Cold in Alex" to my long list of movies to watch. It sounds like a good one. Like I mentioned, J. Lee Thompson's "Guns of Navarone" is one of my all-time favorites. He also directed "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" which I thought was the best sequel to the original "Planet of the Apes". "Cape Fear" also a great film - much better than the remake, but I am a Gregory Peck fan so there may be some bias.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #60
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

I'm a fan of Sharon Stone and was excited to learn that she was in King Solomon's Mines. I bought the DVD and watched it. The giant pot scene was the last straw for me.
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #61
Indyfan82
IndyFan

Of the ones on this list, I've only seen a few. And the ones I have seen, I've enjoyed. "Romancing the Stones" and "The Jewel of the Nile" both seem to draw some influence from Indiana Jones, for sure, but I think they also have enough of their own style as well. I rather enjoyed those movies. I've also seen the Allan Quatermain movies from the '80s- Richard Chamberlain did a great job with those. Yes, they have some pretty ridiculous moments, but I enjoy them anyway. And they have some literary basis, with H. Rider Haggard's "King Solomon's Mines".
I've recently watched the entire "Tales of the Gold Monkey" TV series on DVD and I really fell in love with the show as it progressed! Great series! Yes, I can see some Indy influence, but it definitely has some differences as well. The funny thing is- it reminded me more of Disney's "Talespin" cartoon- which makes sense, since apparently the cartoon was inspired by the live action "Tales of the Gold Monkey" series!
That would be one of the best, in my opinion. It did take a while for me to warm up to the show, but it got better as it went along.
You can read plenty more about Jake Cutter's adventures at www.goldmonkey.com if anyone's interested.
Also, it's a Don Bellisario show- the same guy who created "Airwolf", "Magnum, P.I." and "Quantum Leap"- among others. (all three also favorites for me.)
Speaking of Magnum, P.I., by the way- as fans probably know, Tom Selleck was the first choice for Indiana Jones- but he couldn't do it because of the show. In the last season of the show, there's an episode called "Legend of the Lost Art" that paid homage to this bit of trivia, with Tom Selleck getting to wear an Indy-style fedora and everything.
And speaking of Tom Selleck, I recently got one of his first movies on VHS- "High Road to China"- which I hope to finally watch soon. I've heard so many good things about it- mainly from this forum!
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #62
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
Pale, that was a deleted Scene, Indiana Jones the Cunning Ling.... never mind
That scene alone of him sliding down the mudslide and then landing on front of her could've saved that movie.
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #63
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Hagen
I'm a fan of Sharon Stone and was excited to learn that she was in King Solomon's Mines.
In the documentary, "Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films" (2014), there is a part about "King Solomon's Mines".

Apparently, the South Africans working on the film HATED Sharon Stone because of her snobby attitude (and Richard Chamberlain, the star of the film, didn't have nice things to say about her either, although he delivered the insults in a friendly fashion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfan82
I've recently watched the entire "Tales of the Gold Monkey" TV series on DVD and I really fell in love with the show as it progressed! Great series! Yes, I can see some Indy influence, but it definitely has some differences as well. The funny thing is- it reminded me more of Disney's "Talespin" cartoon- which makes sense, since apparently the cartoon was inspired by the live action "Tales of the Gold Monkey" series!
That would be one of the best, in my opinion. It did take a while for me to warm up to the show, but it got better as it went along.
You can read plenty more about Jake Cutter's adventures at www.goldmonkey.com if anyone's interested.
Yeah! A new "Gold Monkey" fan! Here's the main Raven thread about it:

Tales of the Gold Monkey
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote