Let's Brainstorm: Booby Traps

00Kevin

Indyfan
I've probubly started at least 3 threads of this topic in the past 3 years....( j/k :D)

well, every indy film, we see some new, cool booby traps, trap doors and other kinda clever adventurous....things

raider:
BOULDER BABY!
the sandbag/idol trap
darts that shoot when you step on the tiles

temple:
gong (again, not a booby trap, but a clever......thing)
spike room
the statues by the fireplace

LC:
rotating fireplace
the stairwell that comes from leaning back in the chair
'breath of god'
'word of god'
'path of god'

and even in all the indy books, comics and games....blah blah blah

anyways, let's brain storm some cool booby trap etc. Ideas we could see in indy 4

(no, nothing already used ANYWHERE...and don't say 'in this indy book they did they...')
hmmmm, *thinks*

*can't think of anything*

Randy_Flagg

Good topic. Now if only I could think of something...

Well, if they do a desert environment again, how about a sandtrap? Here's how I see it:

Indy's in an underground chamber of some sort. As he walks in, he notices some intricately carved (and scary-looking) stone heads high up on the walls, but he isn't impressed. He continues into the room, grabs the treasure (whatever it may be), and suddenly, the door leading out of the room slams shut. Then he hears a creaking sound, and looks up to see the mouths on the stone heads beginning to open. Within seconds, sand is pouring out of their mouths and gradually filling the room in which he's trapped. (if this was in a book or something, forgive me... I haven't seen it.) Just a matter of time before he drowns in the sand....

Another possibility:

A pendulum trap. Not quite sure how this would happen, but somehow, Indy could find himself either in a small room (ala the Pit & The Pendulum) or tied down somewhere as a pendulum blade swings over him, getting a bit lower with each swing (though it may end up being too much like "Legend of The Holy Rose" now that I think about it. Still, it's kind of a classic trap, so I think it would fit in an Indy movie.

00Kevin

Indyfan
good Ideas, but overused

the sandtrap thing, well, I can remember that in countless movies and stuff...

Randy_Flagg

00Kevin said:
good Ideas, but overused

the sandtrap thing, well, I can remember that in countless movies and stuff...

But isn't that the point? The boulder was hardly original, nor was the revolving fireplace or the sacrificial temple. Indy movies TRY to reuse old ideas and make them feel new again... that's why I purposely tried to think of some cliches that they haven't done yet.

FordFan

I think an abnormally large crocodile in the video game or giant bats from the video game would be awesome. Does anyone remember those? Every time you made a noise, they spit at you. Scared the **** out of me.

I hope to God someone knows what the hell I'm talking about.

Ska

What the hell are you talking about.....

....Nah, just kidding. Of course we know what you are talking about. Although I don't remember the spit part. I, though, don't think I could see a giant "anything" in an Indiana Jones film. All of the films so far have had realistic sized animals/insects/reptiles, but I guess "anything goes!"

I think that the type of booby traps depend on the location and culture of the film. The trap would have to fit the technology and resources available to that part of the world. Like you wouldn't want a sand trap in a jungle, and a water trap in the desert. But this is all common sense which I'm sure we all have at the Raven.

I was thinking that some kind of trap with fire or lightning would be different to the series. The fire/lightning would probably be triggered from stepping on an incorrect floor tile or stone or something. Two things come to mind when I think of this:

1. The movie "Dungeons & Dragons," although not a very good movie, had a cool part in the dungeon where the main character (for the life of me I cannot think of his name) had to cross a room filled with different colored and shaped floor tiles that triggered all kinds of flames to shoot from the wall at him.

2. The game "Tomb Raider" had a level towards the middle called St. Francis's Folly. In my eyes, that level really stood out for some reason. It involved getting four keys from four different rooms that were based upon the Greek gods. There was a sphere in the middle of one of the rooms that shot out lightning strikes to a random part of the room. Lara had to run from one part of the room to another to avoid getting struck.

My number one pick for an Indy 4 trap would be a maze of some sort. I cannot remember any movie that used a labyrinth or maze in it, except for the Shining's garden maze at the end (but that has nothing to do with adventure films). But I could see it now.....Indy creeping around corners with his torch in hand. The different passages could have traps in them (including fire and lightning!) that he would have to pass to get to the artifact located in the middle of the maze. There is a Greek myth about the Minotaur (a creature with a man's body and a bull's head) and King Minos that some of you might have heard. It states that King Minos would put seven young men and seven women a year into this huge labyrinth on Crete called the Knossos Labyrinth to sacrifice them to the gods. The Minotaur would be waiting for them in the middle of the maze. By obtaining some secret of the labyrinth, the Minotaur could be defeated in battle. I don't know a lot about it, but here's a pretty good site about the myth:

http://www.minotaur-websites.com/minomyth.htm

Ska

[Edited by SKAbatula on 10-23-2003 at 06:13 am]

intergamer

here's a subtopic. I don't have any specific ideas, but lets take quicksand. I know, I know, very cliche. But Indiana Jones makes something new out of cliches. What new, interesting things could they do with quicksand?
Quicksand like you've never seen it before!

00Kevin

Indyfan
yes indy-d ;)

well, okay, in this case, what booby traps have you guys seen in the old adventure films that we could 'borrow' ;)

Coldfyre

SKAbatula said:
My number one pick for an Indy 4 trap would be a maze of some sort. I cannot remember any movie that used a labyrinth or maze in it...
Labyrinth had a labyrinth. Okay, so it's not an adventure movie... anyway, how about acid? Or something huge that falls from the ceiling and crushes anyone below it? I remember an issue of Catwoman that had an Indy-style temple with traps... there was one similar to the sand trap mentioned earlier, but with water, one where two huge blocks would ram in from the sides and crush the victim (you could escape it by jumping over them or crawling under them), one where the floor would retract and there would be a massive pair of spiked rollers (I think it was called the "Wine Press"), and some others... one was a very narrow path with bottomless pits on each side, and you'd have to balance on the path while avoiding huge razor pendulums... it reminded me a little of the "Leap of Faith" in LC, even though it wasn't invisible... I always thought Indy would have fallen off that bridge, just because it was so narrow... he does the "leap from the lion's head" and lands on a tiny invisible bridge only a couple feet wide without losing his balance? Anyway... how about a hidden pirahna pit? Maybe some stone claw device that rips the heart out of whoever sets off the trap? Maybe the artifact is actually coated in some kind of invisible poison that kills by touch?

nOOb

indy approaches what appears to be a plain, ordinary wooden door-opens it and the old cliched bucket of "water" splashes over him. "heh heh what kind of trap is THAT?" he thinks aloud with a snicker. then a little metal arm/hand comes out of the wall holding a lit match. *sniff sniff* "gasoline?! nooo-" the hand opens. boom.

(ok maybe thats lame...but hey its from a spongebob squarepants episode and it worked there :) )

00Kevin

Indyfan
nOOb said:
indy approaches what appears to be a plain, ordinary wooden door-opens it and the old cliched bucket of "water" splashes over him. "heh heh what kind of trap is THAT?" he thinks aloud with a snicker. then a little metal arm/hand comes out of the wall holding a lit match. *sniff sniff* "gasoline?! nooo-" the hand opens. boom.

(ok maybe thats lame...but hey its from a spongebob squarepants episode and it worked there :) )

yes, but that is an evil cult....indy is a good religion ;)

nOOb

exactly...

"Indiana Jones and the Cult of Spongebob"

the nazis and the Spongee cult (like Thuggee) have made a secret alliance and plan to unleash the curse of the evil nicktoon god Squarepants upon the world. unable to withstand even a few minutes of the purely annoying spongebob show, the allies will fall, leaving the nazis an open door for world domination (yawn) and only indy can stop them! *ominous music*

hrm back ontopic, i think the ol' bamboo spike trap rules. or all the sawblade traps from prague in the ET game, those are cool too.

[Edited by nOOb on 10-27-2003 at 03:07 pm]

Coldfyre

nOOb said:

No, no, make the bucket fall on his head, and it's filled with crazy glue...

Venture

Indy walks into a creepy, cryptic room with no exit. The massive vault door swings shut behind him and locks with dismal finality. Over an intercom system, Indy is forced to listen to 00Kevin's jokes until he goes mad! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

theinfiniteweird

What should happen is this: Indy is underwater and is traversing a small tunnel. he huts sme kind of button of some sort, and the tunnel shuts him in, ala ToD. The walls don't necessarily have to come down or anything weird, just Indy being trapped underwater would be really cool.

theinfiniteweird

OK, if we're supposed to be brainstorming, how about we take some ideas and put them together.

*Indy is in a room with statues. He walks carefully avoiding anything suspicious. he grabs the treasure, and the entrance slams shut, which he couldn't avoid. The statues start letting out water. The pathway to the treasure is about 20 feet above the rest of the room, so Indy has suffecient time to figure a way out before the water gets too high. And besides, he can swim.*

A little too easy, so you could go even further by...

*The water has risen a good 10 feet when Indy remembers some reasearch/experience/whatever. He goes back to the altar place, studies it a moment, then puts the treasure back onto the altar, thinking it will at least stop the advance. The advance stops with the water being almost to the top. Phew. Indy turns, then notices a sensation in the floor below him. The whole structure of the room excluding the floor has started sinking, so in minutes he will be trapped in a room full of water.*

Or you could have one statue do water, the other sand, and voila, quicksand! Or just sand. I don't know, someone come back and refin this a little.