hasbro annouces jurrassic park line of toys ... what the heck?

indyclone25

Hasbro, Inc. has announced plans to unleash the legendary dinosaurs from Universal Pictures' "Jurassic Park." This fall, under a licensing agreement with Universal Partnerships & Licensing, Hasbro plans to launch a new action figure line based on the film's prehistoric predators exclusively at Toys"R"Us stores across the country.

"'Jurassic Park' is one of the most successful film franchises of all time and has a passionate fan base," said Derryl DePriest, Vice President of Marketing at Hasbro. "Dinosaurs are also tremendously popular with kids, and 'Jurassic Park' is the mark of authenticity when it comes to realistic and exciting dinosaur play."

"Since the dinosaurs of 'Jurassic Park' first stomped onto movie screens more than 15 years ago, they've captured kids' imaginations," said Karen Dodge, Senior Vice President, Chief Merchandising Officer, Toys"R"Us. "There is no better place to find toys based on kids' favorite characters than Toys"R"Us, and we're excited to be the only retailer to offer kids and collectors official 'Jurassic Park' action figures."

"'Jurassic Park' remains the quintessential dinosaur brand," said Stephanie Sperber, Executive Vice President, Universal Partnerships & Licensing. "The movies still rank as one of the top five trilogies of all time, and with Hasbro and Toys"R"Us behind the line, we know there will be great demand for the product. We truly have a winning combination on our hands."

Hasbro's "Jurassic Park" product line will be available exclusively at Toys"R"Us stores beginning this fall, featuring authentic dinosaur action figures in various sizes, such as:

Jurassic Park Basic Dinosaur Two-Pack Assortment - Now, kids can assemble their own dino army with this collection of authentic "Jurassic Park" dinosaurs! With two dinosaurs in each pack, this assortment allows children to create amazing dinosaur adventures. Ages: 4 & up; No batteries required

Jurassic Park Deluxe Dinosaur and Figure Assortment - Each deluxe two-pack in this assortment comes with a dinosaur and a "Dino Tracker" action figure that is equipped with an accessory that lets them track their prey. Now, kids can determine who will win the hunt ?dinosaurs or humans. Ages: 4 & up; No batteries required

Jurassic Park Electronic Dinosaur Assortment - The battle is coming! These fully articulated dinosaurs battle each other and have "dino-damage" to show for it. Each dinosaur lets out a fierce roar when kids activate its individual attack action. To create a more realistic battle, kids can also press the "dino-damage" to hear the dinosaur howl. Ages: 4 & up; 3 "A76" or "LR44" Alkaline batteries required (included)

Jurassic Park Deluxe Electronic T-Rex - The king of the dinosaurs has arrived! This massive T-Rex comes to life with multiple growls, roars and howls and even a ?bone crunching? sound effect for when it eats its prey. Additionally, its motion activated stomping sounds are sure to strike fear into humans and other dinosaurs alike. This giant dinosaur comes with a "Dino Tracker" action and a weapon that really fires. As an added bonus, the back of the box has an illustration that can be cut out and assembled into an off-road vehicle. Ages: 4 & up; 3 ?AAA? batteries required (included)

Since Universal Pictures and Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment first joined forces to unleash an adventure over 65 million years in the making, "Jurassic Park" has become the "premier" and "authentic" dinosaur brand the world over. When Jurassic Park was released in 1993, it became an instant phenomenon. In the years that followed, two additional films were released ? The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III ? bringing the trilogy's worldwide box office total to more than $2 billion. The franchise continues to resonate with consumers worldwide via consumer products, popular attractions at Universal Studios Theme Parks and annual airings of the three films on a multitude of television networks.

what kind of crud is this!!!! cmon jurrassic park !!!!!!!! why bother with an old product like this when fans that want the indiana jones line to continue....................

Goonie

I wonder if we're getting a 4th movie? But last year, when Michael Crichton died, the producers said that the 4th movie probably won't happen.

indyclone25

yeah but why cant toys r us carry exlcusives on the indiana jones line .....or mabe target or walmart --- just anyone so they can produce more indiana jones

DocWhiskey

Just read about this. Very odd.

Maybe because they're going to release JP in Blu Ray? But still, a whole toy line to accommodate that? I wish the IJ toy line would at least go the way of the Ghostbusters Toyline rather than being completely canceled.

indyclone25

right , i mean i just dont want to sound redundant but i want more indy toys and i'm sure many of you still want more figures .

Lon

These don't seem like Jurassic Park toys but rather dinosaur toys with the name "Jurassic Park" on them.

Lance Quazar

I saw some JP toys in a TRU a few weeks ago. I was baffled, but I guess this explains it.

Seriously, though. Kids will buy dinosaurs. Kids will not buy Indy (much) as we've seen.

Releasing a line of dino toys with or without the JP name is a good idea.

lao che & sons

it's a good idea. Kids love dinosaurs. And collectors of jurrasic park with love these toys too. It's a win win for hasbro. I really want someone else to take over the indy line, at least until indy 5 and then maybe hasbro will take it back or something.:D

indyclone25

i mean if hasbro has the rights to a indiana jones toy line just do some online or store chain exclusives to see if the series will or can be revived?

I saw some of these the other day and thought it was very unusual. If it makes anyone feel better, this line consists of repaints of Hasbro's Jurassic Park 3 series, not new sculpts. Hasbro is simply turning over a few quick bucks using some old molds they just have lying around, and I can't fault them for that.

Here's a link to the "new" line:
http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/expanded-universe/jurassic-park-2k9/index.htm

And here's a link to the Jurassic Park 3 line:
http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/jurassic-park-3/index.htm

Goonie

Now if only they could make a claymation-style "Weird Al" Yankovic figure to go along with this new Jurassic Park line. ;)

Errex

Well, they mention there will be human figures in this line. I would hope those to be done in a style compatible with the IJ figures.

Billy Ray

I saw some of these yesterday at TRU and was a little baffled myself as to what they were all about. Thanks for the info.

Nurhachi1991

I used to have the old Jurassic Park figures when I was a kid. In fact I used to pretend the Dino capturing truck was the Nazi jeep with the Ark in it and I used my Han Solo figure as Indy haha

indytim

I think the reason this has happened is that Universal are going to use this new toy line as a sounding board to see if an audience still exists for Jurassic Park before pursuing the development of a new movie. Movie companies have done things like this before, that being invested in low-cost product to be used as market research before spending $100 million making a new film.

A more widely used 'franchise tester' are video games. The X Files video game that was produced for the PS2 was done so to gauge public response before green-lighting any future X Files cinematic projects. The recent Ghostbusters game also, which not only proved that audience interest was high but also acted to reignite the franchise's popularity.

Goonie

indytim said:
I think the reason this has happened is that Universal are going to use this new toy line as a sounding board to see if an audience still exists for Jurassic Park before pursuing the development of a new movie. Movie companies have done things like this before, that being invested in low-cost product to be used as market research before spending $100 million making a new film.

You got a point indytim, and here is mania.com writing a story about it:
http://www.mania.com/jurassic-park-returning_article_117268.html

They've been thinking about a new movie for a while now, but then Crichton died in the fall. Here's a little bit on Dan's JPIII page:
http://www.dansjp3page.com/index2.asp
JP Producers Say JP4 Plans Fallen Through
In what probably won't be a surprise to most of us, JP's long-time producers, Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall said yesterday that no new work has been done on JP4, and that Kennedy thinks that "maybe" the franchise is finished. "You know, when Crichton passed away, I sorta felt maybe that's it," Kennedy told reporters at a press junket for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. "Maybe that's a sign that we don't mess with it." Is this the end, JP fans? I'd say probably, but then again we've heard talk like this before. To paraphrase the great Troy McClure, "Who knows what adventures we'll have between now and the time the franchise becomes unprofitable?"

Dewy9

Keep in mind that ToysRUs and Hasbro would've collaborated about this. If TRU wanted an exclusive continuation to the Indy line, they no doubt would've worked with Hasbro to make that happen.

That being said, dinosaurs are cool! What boy didn't play with dinosaur toys when he was a kid?