Indy 4 Blu-ray DVD

Michael24

DoomsdayFAN said:
REALLY!? So DVD are going to become obsolete aswell? Dang it! Now I'll have to rebuy everything ALL over again.:mad: :sick:

Well, as long the new format players remain backwards compatable, you won't have to worry about rebuy everything when the time comes that DVDs are completely phased out like VHS.

ReggieSnake

Michael24 said:
Well, as long the new format players remain backwards compatable, you won't have to worry about rebuy everything when the time comes that DVDs are completely phased out like VHS.

I sure hope they do...

DoomsdayFAN said:
Hah yeah, they should make a DVD player which has Three compartments for discs: Left: DVD; Center: Blu-Ray; Right: HD DVD. That way we'd all win.

Anyway, there still gunna release Indy 4 on reg DVD, right!? :eek:

I meant one drawer that could play both HDDVD and Blue-Ray. I actually don't know if that's even possible:rolleyes: , I just figured that it would be similar to the two DVD formats that came out when regular DVD was new.

DoomsdayFAN

What is the difference between HD DVD and Blu-Ray? Which one is better? Which can hold more stuff? Which is Higher resolution?:hat:

Playmount

DoomsdayFAN said:
What is the difference between HD DVD and Blu-Ray? Which one is better? Which can hold more stuff? Which is Higher resolution?:hat:

HD-DVD:

• Motion Pictures are encoded at 1080i at 29.976 frames per second.
  • Discs have a current maximum capacity of 30 GB.
  • Max video bit rate is 29.4Mbps; 36.55Mbps with audio.
  • Currently has 30% studio support.

Blu-ray:

• Motion Pictures are encoded at 1080p at 24 frames per second.
  • Discs have a current maximum capacity of 50 GB.
  • Max video bit rate is 40Mbps; 48Mbps with audio.
  • Currently has 70% studio support.

Major West

oki9Sedo said:
Although its interesting that they might not release it on HD-DVD.

Apart from the fact that Mr. Steven is backing Blu-ray. HD-DVD is practically finished now that Warners, New Line and a few other studios are dropping it.

Shortie

Yup. Only Paramount, Microsoft. & Universal are supporting it. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Blu-ray add-on to the 360.

DoomsdayFAN

Sweet! But dont Blu-Ray's cost alot more than DVD's? And I looked at prices for a Blu-Ray play on Best Buy.com and they were like $499-$999+. Thats a bit much. :sick:

Michael24

Yeah, I saw a rack of Blu-Ray discs somewhere last week, and the prices all seemed to be within the $30-$35 range. Hopefully, though, prices will come done if it wins the inevitable battle against regular DVD and becomes the standard home video format.

ReggieSnake

Prices will inevitably come down, I do hope it's sooner rather than later though-it really is neat technology(High-Definition), just too expensive for me at this point.

Playmount

DoomsdayFAN said:
Sweet! But dont Blu-Ray's cost alot more than DVD's? And I looked at prices for a Blu-Ray play on Best Buy.com and they were like $499-$999+. Thats a bit much. :sick:

Playstation 3 ($399 and 5 free Blu-ray movies via mail-in offer.)

Blu-ray Sale (Blu-ray Discs for as low as $14.99. Save up to 53% on Blu-ray movies.)

surfengine

HDDVD has the advantage of future support of recordable/re-recordable media.

BD has no plans to support that feature.

Also the DVD consortium recently approved HDDVD version 3 which will allow disc size to 50G (same as BD).

back to the studio stuff.....

There is no reason to believe KOTCS will not be released on HDDVD. Being released on BD is more of a rumor than anything.

commontone

By "BD" do you mean Blu-Ray? If so you are incorrect, you can already buy recordable Blu-Ray discs at Best Buy. Of course they're about $20 each, and the drives are astronomically priced, but the concept is supported.

spiralout

surfengine said:
HDDVD has the advantage of future support of recordable/re-recordable media.

BD has no plans to support that feature.

Also the DVD consortium recently approved HDDVD version 3 which will allow disc size to 50G (same as BD).

back to the studio stuff.....

There is no reason to believe KOTCS will not be released on HDDVD. Being released on BD is more of a rumor than anything.

100GB Blu-Ray are already being showcased by various companies and it can theoretically go higher.

Blu-Ray burners have existed for a while now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827131055

The Man

I may not even buy any of them on their eventual Blu-Ray release, even in a box-set. I certainly don't want that movie in any format. Such is the disillusionment...

Darth Vile

The Man said:
I may not even buy any of them on their eventual Blu-Ray release, even in a box-set. I certainly don't want that movie in any format. Such is the disillusionment...

You won't buy any of them on Blu-Ray? Not into the format?

The Man

Darth Vile said:
You won't buy any of them on Blu-Ray? Not into the format?

Oh, I'm into the format, but I don't see myself buying only a box-set option. I might buy the original three individually in Hi-Def and leave it at that.