Williams' score

TennesseeKorben

indytim said:
Then again, I'm not a multi Oscar-winning composer so what the hell do I know!?

Very well said, LOL! I did not love or even really like the score when I first heard it. However, after seeing the movie a few times and listening to the soundtrack more I think it fits in nicely with the rest of the series!

sarah navarro

TennesseeKorben said:
Very well said, LOL! I did not love or even really like the score when I first heard it. However, after seeing the movie a few times and listening to the soundtrack more I think it fits in nicely with the rest of the series!
EXACTLY!(y)

Crusade>Raiders

Shortie said:
When was the Imperial March used?

I believe its from Empire Strikes Back.

And I know you guys aint insulting John "Jurassic Park, E.T., Hook, Saving Private Ryan, Schilinder's List, Close Encounters, Star Wars, INDIANA JONES" Williams. Dude is the ****ing man.

Arab Swordsman

My problem with the score is how it's placed in the movie. I think the Mutt/Spalko scene in the movie could have been much better had Mutt's theme not been playing during it. I think the action scenes in the movie should have menacing music and that wasn't a part of the jungle chase scenes in this one. I remember the excitement that came along with the truck chase in Raiders and the tank scene in LC because the music had more of a darker tone to it. The music during the action scenes in the new movie seemed light and didn't give that air of danger that the scenes needed.

I think the new soundtrack is good musically but it just didn't fit right with the scenes it was placed in.

Agent Z

Regarding the film itself, I only recall "Irina's Theme" (when Spalko first appears), the ark theme (when the warehouse doors open), and the "Ants!" theme (when Indy is down on the ground, looking at the log and the music tempo picks up as we see the stream of ants right next to him) as the only sections that really caught my ear.

Last edited:

oki9Sedo

Agent Z said:
Regarding the film itself, I only recall "Irina's Theme" (when Spalko first appears), the ark theme (when the warehouse doors open), and the "Ants!" theme (when Indy is down on the ground, looking at the log and the music tempo picks up as we see the stream of ants right next to him) as the only sections that really caught my ear.

This is because you haven't had the time to allow this score to grow on you the way the other three have.

In a year or two, you may well love the score as much as the previous three. You may not, of course, if it is truly not as good, but the point I'm making is its too early to tell yet.

Salacious

No Ticket said:
My current impression of the score is... it's pretty weak.

I think I got more out of the film even with it's faults then I did out of the score. A really awesome Russian theme would have been nice... the sci-fi touch should have been more obvious and catchy... there just should've been a stronger thematic touch that wasn't there.

... I really was most disappointed by this I think. I expected even if the movie was awful that the score would be awesome. But it's definitely not anywhere CLOSE to anything in the last IJ movies. There is no denying that. Right now I can remember the playful music of the original trilogy and it was just missing.
That might have helped this movie TONS!!! TONSSSSS! I tell you. READ MY SENTENCES I TYPE!! TONS!! TONS I TELL YA!!!

If there right music had been there the movie would have had a more "magical" feel to it. Just thinking about it I realize how important Williams score was to the original movies or even the Star Wars movies.

I don't even remember Mutt having a theme. I'm sure he did, but in the movie I don't remember what it was so it must not have been too memorable.

Such lost potential Mr. Williams. What were you doing?

Very very true. I agree 100%. The one thing I was looking forward to almost as much as the movie was the score...and its not that great at all. Very average. Sad to see. I have my issues along with everyone else about the SW Prequel trilogy, but one thing that was marvelous was the scores for each film. At least each film provided not one, but a few memorable themes and action tracks. In EpIII, some of it was recycled a bit, but there still was enough new material that was awesome and very very memorable. I still think Williams has something left in him. He works very closely with Spielberg when developing the scores...so not sure what went wrong here. :confused:

FILMKRUSC

oki9Sedo said:
This is because you haven't had the time to allow this score to grow on you the way the other three have.

In a year or two, you may well love the score as much as the previous three. You may not, of course, if it is truly not as good, but the point I'm making is its too early to tell yet.

I disagree. Every Indy film I have seen, I have loved from the first screening including the music. The exception being KOTCS - don't like the film and don't like the score. I think it's Williams worst score which I'm shocked to say.

Darth Vile

Salacious,

To answer your question... Nothing went wrong. It's a shame you don't like it but I don't believe that there is any empirical evidence to suggest something "went wrong" with the score...

FILMKRUSC,

As much as I enjoy the music from all the Indiana Jones movies, I find it hard to believe that anyone would like the score to TOD and dislike the score for KOTCS. I can understand a preference for one over the other, but to not like the score for KOTCS (which is much maturer/richer than TOD IMHO) seems...
: (

IAdventurer01

I recently bought the soundtrack and gave it a good listening through. In the film, I think the soundtrack was weakened somewhat because of the recurring iconic themes. The familiar jumps out at a person and since these themes were SO familiar to the lot of us here, the new pieces which, too, were excellent just blended in ... disappeared.

Then you realize when listening critically that there is some new material that is good, and is soon standing out like someone in a marketplace calling out for someone speaking ancient greek. ;)

BlackSleep

Of the four Indy films, this is the only score that didn't immediately burn a unique and interesting theme into my brain that I could associate with this film only. However, I do love the "Call of the Crystal," "Irina's Theme," and "The Spell of the Skull." I bought the score, and love it. However, it's not John Williams' most inventive work.

For some reason, the "Call of the Crystal" reminds me of some of the music from the old Star Trek tv show from the 60's.

Darth Vile

BlackSleep said:
For some reason, the "Call of the Crystal" reminds me of some of the music from the old Star Trek tv show from the 60's.

I think that is by design as opposed to chance... Parts of the score evoke both the horror/sci fi movies of the 50's and the early James Bond movies...

Rococo

Iandiana said:
I love the new flourish on the end of the finale.

I agree wholeheartedly. I enjoyed this score, but I didn't get a "shiver" moment until 8:21 on that final track- I enjoyed it immensely, and wish they had done more with that. Maybe one day we'll get an alternative Raiders March that uses that more prominently- it's such a small change that has a great effect on the music.

Dynamite XI

Mothy said:
The score was not bad, but it wasn't spectacular either.
I could understand that...although I think I liked the score, generally.

Williams, to me, seems to have done more of an atmospheric-type score with less individual leitmotifs for KOTCS. He did manage to add in snippets of leitmotifs whenever possible (Ark, Indy, Marion, Spalko, and so on), which actually seems to be the norm for him.

It kind of brings to mind Williams' Harry Potter scores, which established leitmotifs, but also had plenty of atmospheric stuff, too.

Darth Vile

Rococo said:
I agree wholeheartedly. I enjoyed this score, but I didn't get a "shiver" moment until 8:21 on that final track- I enjoyed it immensely, and wish they had done more with that. Maybe one day we'll get an alternative Raiders March that uses that more prominently- it's such a small change that has a great effect on the music.

Rococo,

If you are referring to the end of the finale. I think you'll find that's actually Mutt's theme taking on the Raiders refrain... (so unfortunately I don't think we'll here it again unless Mutt is involved).

Last edited:

Blade

Darth Vile said:
Rococo,

If you are referring to the end of the finale. I think you'll find that's actually Mutt's theme taking on the Raiders refrain...

You sad bastard.