John Hurt's role?

Dr.Sartorius

Dark Horizons mentions Hurt might play the long thought dead Abner Ravenwood...

While /film is running a story saying Hurt will play Albert Einstein...

The Abner role sounds a LOT more interesting than Einstein. How would Einstein factor into Indy 4? Especially considering the movie probably takes place in 1957 and Einstein died in 1955...

Echo22

Hurt is only 2 years older than Ford. And it's true that Ford is playing younger and Hurt is fully capable of playing older - But I'm still thinking he's the villian in this. He'd make a good one.

deckard24

I guess it's too late to hope for Eastwood as Abner. I was really hoping Abner being dead would have just been what Marion thought to be true, and we'd finally get a glimpse of Indy's mentor. Eastwood would have rocked in the role. Hurt though on the other hand is an excellent villain, but Abner huh? God, I hope he's not Einstein.

Vendetta08

I think he would make a good Einstein but I don't see it happening. I could care less about seeing Abner Ravenwood on screen. My favorite choice would be him as a villain.

If there was an Abner, I'd prefer someone like Gene Hackman for the role. Supposing Abner's from the US, i'd go with a grizzled veteran native actor. Not eastwood. He doesn't exude enough of the intellectual aura such a part would need.

As for the Einstein rumour, wow. Obviously, the movie would need to have a flashback sequence then, probably to immediately post WW2. And that makes me think Roswell again. Or maybe just someone discussing a skull with Einstein. Thats if there's any substance to the rumour whatsoever.

Main thing, I can;t see Hurt as Abner. I'd much prefer Hackman if he's contemporaneous with themain storyline. Otherwise have in a flashback to the twenties, before the falling out. Have i mentioned this before?

Vendetta08

Wow, and I thought the "Einstein as villain" comment couldn't be topped!

I just don't think they'd hire such an accomplished actor like John Hurt for just a flashback scene.

arkfinder

I must say that I'm more than a little interested if Hurt does indeed play Einstein. I gues that is a rather interesting twist I wasn't thinking about. Could be fun!

Papa Jones

IMBD is, in my humble opinion, no reliable source. They're just updating what's being confirmed, what's being heavily rumored or sometimes complete horsesh1t...

Maybe they forgot to put the " (rumored) "...

Or maybe they're trying to launch a new rumor... dunno...

Echo22

John Hurt is only two years older than Ford - and only about 11 years older than Karen Allen. Wouldn't he have to be a bit older than Indy to realistically be his mentor. Of course, Sean Connery is only 12 years Ford's senior. So, who knows?

Hurt could play older. But, I think it's just a rumor.

MsIndy07

Unless they do some sort of flashback in the beginning with Hurt as Abner, and Shia as Indy, explaining why they had a falling out. Then having that tie into the plot of the movie. That woudl/could be interesting.