"Dumb All Over"

http://blogs4brownback.wordpress.com/2007/07/16/398/

Just saw this classy bit...

A buncha Christians calling for the exhumation and defilement of Frank Zappa's body.

Gee whiz... whatever happened to forgive and forget?

Extremism of any sort is disturbing... this is flatly so. Just disgusting. IF God exists, I can't imagine he'd condone such lemming-like behavior. Besides... isn't the desecration of the grave some sort of sin? Eh?

...disgusting...

Last edited:

kongisking

Pure stupid. My grandma is one of those type of people. She thinks that Satan is controlling teachers in schools and are seeding evil and lies into our children. :eek:

You know those dorks who do book burnings of Harry Potter? That sounds more Satanic than anything else!!! :rolleyes: Why do they do the very things they protest? My God, these dumbells are completely doomed to failure.

And by the way: THERE IS NO GOD! Evolution and the Big Bang created our planet. I'm not going to believe in a magic wizard in the sky creating earth with a snap of a finger...and then completely abandoning his children! Hitler! 9/11! Katrina! Iraq! Where was God then, huh? sitting in his golden chair and just enjoying the show. What a selfish, egotistical being. I don't believe it.

Yeah, I know I saw it heading downward with the first reply.

Let me stress--I meant this as an attack on all forms of extremism. I used that one example to highlight the point. Let this not be an attack on personal ideas--I myself am an atheist, but whatever anyone wants to think is fine by me. It's taking an idea too far that's dangerous. And that's what I was highlighting.

So, please be respectful of other's beliefs if you plan to reply.

Frank Zappa has been dead for too long to care about one way or the other.

"Extremism of any sort is disturbing..."
It beats white-bread, suburban, boredom.

ClintonHammond said:
Frank Zappa has been dead for too long to care about one way or the other.

"Extremism of any sort is disturbing..."

One needn't be an extremist to not be a conformist. I advocate free-thought and experimentation. I DO NOT advocate extremism. Conformity is just as terrifying as extremism. Idle conformity leads to decay. Blind extremism leads to radically violent thought and action (take Nazism for instance).

I actually honestly think that Zappa would say of people like this, "I think it's funny." I'd imagine those would be his precise words. Then again, I also imagine he'd recognize the dangerous herd-mentality present in such thought and I'd imagine he'd speak out against that. Zappa didn't care what others thought of him--he did care though that others actually take the time to think for themselves though.

Niteshade007

ClintonHammond said:

My friend says that what type of bread you buy relates to your social class. She says white bread is actually lower class, not suburban. According to her class, those in middle to upper class eat wheat bread. It sounds like BS to me, since I like white bread and consider myself upper middle class. But then again, I only get white bread when I'm here at school, and my suburbanite family gets wheat back at home.

Anyway, just pointing out that white bread and suburban don't go together, apparently.

Niteshade007 said:
My friend says that what type of bread you buy relates to your social class. She says white bread is actually lower class, not suburban. According to her class, those in middle to upper class eat wheat bread. It sounds like BS to me, since I like white bread and consider myself upper middle class. But then again, I only get white bread when I'm here at school, and my suburbanite family gets wheat back at home.

Anyway, just pointing out that white bread and suburban don't go together, apparently.

Ah, the bread thing. Yeeeah, we watched that very same video in my sociology class. It kinda does hold water though. White bread is MUCH cheaper than wheat. It tends to attract a poorer crowd.

As for fence-sitting. Bull****. There's a such thing as moderation. Religion is fine... in moderation. Atheistic views are fine... in moderation. Pushing either on another person is not moderation. That's extremism.

And not holding any personal values is pure lethargy.

Everything in it's place. Everything in moderation.

oki9Sedo

ResidentAlien said:
Extremism of any sort is disturbing... this is flatly so. Just disgusting. IF God exists, I can't imagine he'd condone such lemming-like behavior. Besides... isn't the desecration of the grave some sort of sin? Eh?

...disgusting...

I don't think we can really pass judgement on these people's extremist beliefs. You or I would believe that sh*t if we were brought up in such an extreme environment. You're tolerant of other people's beliefs because you were presumably raised that way.

"You or I would believe that sh*t if we were brought up in such an extreme environment."

Very true. But if people never work to change things, then things never change.

"Now you're just being contradictory"
Not at all... I'm easily pointing out gaping holes in your 'logic'.

Excess in moderation is a glaring hole in your logic. Excess is never good... that's why it's called excess. It's too much.

For instance... I don't drink... at all. Personal choice. But were I to drink let's say, were I to do it to get drunk that'd be excess... not good. Now say I were drinking socially and responsibly--I don't lose control of my actions, I remain cognizant, that's called moderation. Excess = too much. It's nearly the OPPOSITE of moderation. Not a very difficult concept, Clinton. Sorry you have so much trouble wrapping that peanut of your's around it...

Last edited:
"Excess is never good..."
Bull... tell that to Mardi Gras.... tell that to St Patricks Day.... Tell that to Christmas....

Excess, in moderation, is one of the fundamental point of existence.

"I don't drink... at all"
I can tell.

ClintonHammond said:
"Excess is never good..."
Bull... tell that to Mardi Gras.... tell that to St Patricks Day.... Tell that to Christmas....

Excess, in moderation, is one of the fundamental point of existence.

"I don't drink... at all"
I can tell.

Ah yes, terrible decision that I don't drink. :rolleyes:

Judgmental *****.

BACK ON TOPIC.

Religious extremism and/or Frank Zappa. Discuss.

"Sure, never trust a man who won't drink when he's alive
Cause he sure as hell can't start when he's dead."
-old Irish-Wife saying-

"or Frank Zappa"
Frank Zappa has still been dead for too long to care about.

"She thinks that Satan..."
Wasn't it Robin Williams who said, "There's no devil. Only God when he drinks."

,-)

Goddamn cynic.

Yes, he's too dead to care about eh? Shakespeare's pretty dead too. **** him--burn his works! No reason to care about him, he's dead! Jung and Freud are dead too--forget all about them, after all... they're dead! :rolleyes:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I actually think the excess in moderation bit makes some sense, as an occasional option - an experiment in living, perhaps.

The one thing I'm always careful to watch out for is not to be too much of a kneejerk moderate, or too quick to synthesize things that frankly can't go together. Isaiah Berlin has helped me some with that, with his insistence that various goods of human life are not, as, say, Plato would have it, are not even remotely the same goods. Choice is essential, and when we choose, we may very well do so with vigor and conviction, but before the choosing, a moderate outlook and consideration of options is nothing to be ashamed of.

There's something here to be said about tolerance, which can be remarkably hard to define, but which at it's best is something I'd hope to define as the holding of one's own convictions while also recognizing the reasonable justification behind the convictions of others <I>and</I> being able to condemn or correct the unjustifiable. That's still problematic, but it's something.

Kingsley

Attila the Professor said:
I actually think the excess in moderation bit makes some sense
I agree, it makes sense...
We are in an Apollo vs Dionysus discussion here, and something I learnt is that allthough rationality and moderation are something good to practise, you got to let it go sometimes... to keep the balance.

You need to escape briefly from your individuality to come back somehow renewed. :whip: