Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Globe-trotting
User Name
Password

Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 AM   #26
Deckard
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieSnake
I'm not afraid of flying for sure, in fact, I love it. When I was little I wanted to be a fighter pilot. Who knows? Might still be someday; I want to learn to fly at some point, anyway.

Am I afraid of crashing? Well, if you think about it- it's a pretty easy way to go as long as your ready to go and have the sanity of mind to pray for the rest of the passengers on the way down. (and not scream like a little girl...no offense ladies.) Afraid, no. If it happened-scared, very scared.

Military or domestic?

General Aviation, not military. Eventually I will go back to school for Archaeology, and when I do, I'll be able to do flight instruction part time to pay my way.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #27
DanRO
IndyFan

In my case, I am a bit addicted to it
Especially the take off and whenever there is that up and down movement. During flight, itīs also great to look outside the window and enjoy the view.

What I donīt like is the pressure in my ears during the ascension and descension moments. It is also very tedious when I canīt see anything outside because it is dark or the plane is flying inside a cloud.
DanRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #28
Deckard
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRO
In my case, I am a bit addicted to it
Especially the take off and whenever there is that up and down movement. During flight, itīs also great to look outside the window and enjoy the view.

What I donīt like is the pressure in my ears during the ascension and descension moments. It is also very tedious when I canīt see anything outside because it is dark or the plane is flying inside a cloud.

You dont get that pressure in general aviation for the most part bcuz we don't deal w/ pressurized cabins. We generaly aren't at the height where you require supplemental O2.

In fact we usually take the side doors off the Helicopter when its hot. And by door, I mean the entire sides of the helicopter. Its so cool when you enter a steep left bank, look left, and realise your looking straight down at the ground from 3000 ft w/ nothing between you and it except a seatbelt.

Also it may make some of you feel better to know, pilot's spend around %50 if not more of our flight time during training, practicing emergency procedures.

I cut the engine and land w/ stored rotor power several times a day, so if it happened for real, it'd be second nature.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #29
ReggieSnake
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard
You dont get that pressure in general aviation for the most part bcuz we don't deal w/ pressurized cabins. We generaly aren't at the height where you require supplemental O2.

In fact we usually take the side doors off the Helicopter when its hot. And by door, I mean the entire sides of the helicopter. Its so cool when you enter a steep left bank, look left, and realise your looking straight down at the ground from 3000 ft w/ nothing between you and it except a seatbelt.

Also it may make some of you feel better to know, pilot's spend around %50 if not more of our flight time during training, practicing emergency procedures.

I cut the engine and land w/ stored rotor power several times a day, so if it happened for real, it'd be second nature.
That sounds incredibly neat.

Just wondering, how do you go from aviation to archeology? Do you have an ultimate goal in the field?
ReggieSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #30
The_Raiders
IndyFan

This thread reminded me of something. My mom and I were going on trip, and the night before we had to go to the air-port she dicided to watch the movie "Alive", (which has a plane crash abviously), and our weather at the time wasn't too oo so this movie didn't really help.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #31
UltimateManGod
IndyFan

I have absolutely no problems with flying. The popping ears and small amount of leg room for me are just annoying. My family flew more when I was younger than we do now. Plus it's much faster than driving for the longer distances. I either try to read, sleep or listen to music when I fly. I actually flew alone for the first time this past December. The only problem was my return flight being canceled because of heavy fog, then coming home on Christmas Eve in the last seat in the plane. Other than that, it was easy.
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #32
Deckard
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieSnake
That sounds incredibly neat.

Just wondering, how do you go from aviation to archeology? Do you have an ultimate goal in the field?

I want to do field archaeology but haven't decided what in particular I like yet. Im interested in everything from fossils to underwater archaeology. I will do alot of scuba this summer and see how it goes. I may also want to teach eventually but not for a while. The being a pilot thing makes it easier for me to travel or get in and out of places alot of airlines don't go. It's also nice to have it to fall back on in case things are slow.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 PM   #33
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raiders
This thread reminded me of something. My mom and I were going on trip, and the night before we had to go to the air-port she dicided to watch the movie "Alive", (which has a plane crash abviously), and our weather at the time wasn't too oo so this movie didn't really help.
You think the movies bad, you should read the book.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 PM   #34
The_Raiders
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
You think the movies bad, you should read the book.

Yeah, my mom has read the book, she said it has alot more details... yeah. i might consider reading the book, but I might not
Old 04-04-2008, 01:35 AM   #35
whipem
IndyFan

I'm actually terrified of heights (although I do occasionally enjoy the rush I get from leaning slightly over a ledge in a tall building, for some masochistic reason), but the only problem I have with flying is taking off. But even that's rare. I have relatives in Florida and the Midwest, so I became used to flying when I was younger.
whipem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #36
The_Raiders
IndyFan

This summer I'm proabably going to Texas to visit some family and afew old friends. It'll be the first time I've ever flown by myself, something to look foward to I guess
Old 04-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #37
Deckard
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipem
I'm actually terrified of heights (although I do occasionally enjoy the rush I get from leaning slightly over a ledge in a tall building, for some masochistic reason), but the only problem I have with flying is taking off. But even that's rare. I have relatives in Florida and the Midwest, so I became used to flying when I was younger.

Well your pretty smart, because at least w/ helicopters that is the most dangerous time, take off, not really dangerous, just no room for a mistake. Once your in flight the only way your going to be in real trouble is a mid air collision or if you lost an entire rotor blade. Rare.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #38
Canyon
IndyFan

Location: Originally from the UK but now living in Pennsylvania, USA!!!
For me, the minute I get to the airport, I am on holiday. I have no problems with flying, and did not fly until 2001 (I was my late 20's) and I loved it.

I have now flown 20 times (yes, I've counted) and I really enjoy it.

As Indyologist said, sometimes I look out of the window and I realise that the Gods have created a truly beautiful world which is quite moving.

Do I ever worry about crashing. To be honest, I rarely think about it, although I do get a little bit restless when there is turbulence. Luckily, I don't have too many problems with my ears, either.

The last flight that I took to Rochester, NY was great because I flew with British Airways. I was in row A on the left facing outwards, and had my own seat with about 5 feet of legroom in front, freebies such as blankets, pillows, eyemask, socks etc AND free alcohol (something I've never experienced before) Also, you got your own personal screens and got to choose your own movies and chose when you wanted to watch them, which was great!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #39
bonoferox
IndyFan

Only when I was halfway over the Pacific between LAX and Shanghai Pudong....Images of LOST and Castaway lingered in my mind.
bonoferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #40
Hedwig
IndyFan

I have never been on a plane, or in a foreign country. I don't even own a passport. But I always dream about the countries I want to visit when I'm an adult... For example, I want to visit France (especially Paris) and United Kingdom. They aren't too exotic countries for me, but they are fascinating enough...
Hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:43 AM   #41
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

I used to throw up when the plane would land when I was little, but that stopped around 9 or 10 years old. Now I usually just listen to some quiet music and go to sleep for the duration of the time. I'm not afraid of crashing, mainly because you have a better chance of getting in a car crash then a plane crash.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:48 AM   #42
No Ticket
IndyFan

Every time I read this thread title I want to say this so I'm gonna say it anyway.

If God had meant for us to fly he'd have given us wings...

Well, he gave us the knowledge to figure out how to build airplanes. So I guess he did mean for us to fly... eventually. haha.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #43
herr gruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
So I guess he did mean for us to fly... eventually. haha.

How many bird's engines fail, sending them crashing to the ground and exploding? How many fleas on a birds back develop DVT?
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #44
Lord_glavin
IndyFan

ugh, i've been on enough airplanes to cause a small hole in the ozone from the carbon emissions

flying from NZ to the USA to Europe and back again at least 3 times a year lol

I don't mind airplanes, its airports I can't stand, especially LAX, I get stuck there for an average 9 hours, and it kills
Lord_glavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #45
No Ticket
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr gruber
How many bird's engines fail, sending them crashing to the ground and exploding? How many fleas on a birds back develop DVT?

Silly, birds don't have engines.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:00 AM   #46
ElodieJones
IndyFan

Not afraide of flying either.
But I admit in very very little planes I'm not so calm and cool
Yesterday I made a skydiving, I will start a new thread about it.
ElodieJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:14 AM   #47
Agent Z
IndyFan

I've always wondered if planes are safer than cars...

Is it a skewed stat, unfairly balanced by the enormity of cars in the world, as opposed to the scant number of planes in the sky?

If I do something 1,000,000 more times a day than another activity, then obviously I'm more apt to run into trouble than not.

What really matters in the end are the odds of survival when an accident does happen, be it in a car or plane. I would like to see a study on that....
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #48
I Hate Snakes!
IndyFan

I'm not afraid of planes much, but I really hate that they are very loud. I am constantly next to the engine. It would be a whole lot better if I were closer to the cockpit. (Why do they call it a "cockpit?" )
I Hate Snakes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #49
herr gruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Snakes!
Why do they call it a "cockpit?"

herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #50
The_Raiders
IndyFan

Well tomorrow I'm gonna be flyin on a plane for the first time by myself, alittle bit nervouse..... who am I kidding I'm pretty dang nervouse!! , So wish me luck guys and gals.