Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Billy Ray

Haven't been following this thread since the game came out, to avoid any spoilers (please put SPOILER in your posts if you are going to!).

Anyway, I am happy to see some love for this game out there. I picked it up for the Wii on Wednsday, but didn't actually get to play until yesterday. I made it to the beginning of the Panama level and, so far, am really enjoying it! Is it the perfect game? Hardly but, seriously, if you were expecting perfection, I am truly sorry for you.

Anyway, the controls seem to work fine for me. Aiming on the gun levels is a little difficult at times, but I think those levels are a blast. I had a beast of a time on the street car chase though...and what happend to the fight on top of the street car???

To say this game is "on rails" is a little harsh I think. There is some exploring involved, but it defintely isn't an "open world" type game. Really like the voice actor they got for Indy! The fights are pretty challenging for me, but I'm not super gamer or anything. Flying is fun and also pretty challenging.

As far as bugs, I did have the game lock up on the San Francisco level and had to restart the Wii (actually had to unplug it to restart it) and there have been a couple of sound skips, but that's all I have noticed.

FOA is pretty easily unlocked (I think you only need one Glory point or something like that), so I started it up and had the same issue with quitting it...WTF?

Really not having any trouble following the story either, but I am reading the journal like others have mentioned. It does fill in a lot of the "blanks", but even without that it is pretty straightforward.

Anway, I'm sorry to hear that so many of you don't like it, but I am really having a good time with it so far.

Irfaan

Overall (Since it is "Indy" after all) I will say it's just a little bit below Good.

What bugged me the most personally was the way the storyline wasn't fleshed out. It's a shame because I think it really had potential to be something fantastic!
The way the staff parted seas and it turning to a snake could have really been expanded upon, but oh well... :(

The whole "bitesize" game structure was an awkward route for the PSP, I kept on feeling as if I was playing mini-games sometimes. It was disappointing whip only had one move and not 2 like ET and that the combos were limited (at least it had a hard punch and weak punch as buttons though, unlike another game *cough* Assassins Creed *cough*). Absence of driving/flying going on in the game like the Wii and PS2 versions didn't break up the gameplay properly. It was buggy on some puzzles and bosses (Magnus Voller, surprisingly hard and tedious) to the point of restarting the level.

I can't help but feel disappointed overall, but my expectations were not that strong to begin with. I guess the Wii version is the one to play after all, since it boasts the most content (worth it just for that really) and the co-op modes sound very interesting.

I don't feel as though I have not played it at all (you can't exactly say you completed "Infernal Machine" if all you played was the gameboy version) so that's a good thing I guess.

Overall, this just makes me want to read Rob MacGregor's novel just so I can actually experience this only through storyline, because I seriously think it could have been great, but the game just poorly lived up to it. I'm just happy I had low expectations for it so the parts which do stand out (and not many) were surprising. Seems like the Wii version is the one to get, a lot of people seem very happy with that version, glad to here that. Would of loved it if the full on journel people experienced on other versions made it to the PSP.

Now I have those "bonus levels" unlocked. Apparently they are time trial rooms which you have to either:

- Beat as much baddies within the time limit or...
- Collect as much treasure within the time limit

I'll be sure to upload them!

I'm going to miss these forums, nothing really to look forward to now :( No Indy games :(

However I'm not all that angry at lucasarts, at least Monkey Island is coming and they see that to be something "financially feasible" blah :(

fixer79

Just got the Wii version and I really like it! They really did a cool job with the controls.
I really can't figure why they ported it to PS2 though...
Guess it must be like playing Ubisoft's 'Raving Rabbids' on PS2...

Jack Armstrong, the guy who does Indy's voice really does a great job. During tutorials (which are quite well written actually), you really get the feeling Indy's talking to you. He called me 'kid' :p

I'm gonna go play some more...
:whip:

The Tingler

As a couple of people have asked about the differences in versions:

Which version is better PS2 or PSP?

Does the PSP version have any extras or are they exclusive for Wii?

TIA

The PSP version is completely different to the others. It doesn't play as one ongoing level, with jumps, fights, bosses etc. Each level is often just one room, and so is extremely disappointing. I like the controls, I like the fact that Indy actually has his damn satchel, there is a little bit more to the story, but there's just not much to this game.

However, I do find it difficult to find some of the artifacts! The glory moves are quite difficult too! Don't make this your main version of the game, but it nicely backs up the Wii version.

As for exclusives, it's got a level set in 1922 instead of the Sudan (it could have easily had both and extended the game's lifespan by about 20%, but nothing about these games are generous). However, don't expect some glorious Young Indy return as some have. This one is just one room and makes little sense - I thought the Jade Sphere was in the Star of the Orient? It lasts just a few minutes, the time it takes to press three buttons.

As for other exclusives, apparently it's got some time trials based on the movies available once you've finished. Judging by the rest of the game, I don't expect much!

The PS2 version is a cut-down more-glitchy port of the Wii version. There's no co-op, no Fate of Atlantis, much less combat moves and no exclusive content. I'd avoid it if you can.

The Wii version is the "main" version, although that's not saying much. I must admit I'm now enjoying it, but it's incredibly short, the storyline is clearly missing cutscenes that were probably going to have been ported from the 360/PS3 versions and now simply aren't there, the level design is very claustrophobic with many stupid invisible walls, and there are several really frustrating moments. There's no easy mode either, which goes against the casual feel of the rest of the game.

However, the co-op mode I bet is really great. It may even have a story! I'll try and play it next time my sister comes round...

The DS version is the dark horse. According to people that have played it, it suffers less storyline gaps. This is presumably because it would never have handled the same PS3/360 cutscenes as the others, and so they made their own comic-book-style telling. Indy also has his satchel, yay.

There is an exclusive level set in the catacombs of Paris (don't know how that fits in the game, but whatever). However, I have no idea how it actually plays! If it plays like the Wii/PS2 version, it might be worth getting. If it plays like the PSP version, my advice about that version is the same.

Who here's actually got the DS version and can tell us about it?

Robyn

I'm on the ps2 version, at the part where the rocks are rolling and you have to align them like the stars or something, can't past it, can someone help??

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
Are there any pictures somewhere of this journal? Does it come with every version?:confused: What's the skinny on the Young Indy levels? I'm extremely jealous of all you folks right now!

@Violet: Don't jump ship! We'd miss you.:whip:

I think you mean, you'd miss me. ;) Seems you're the only one who cared to read my post. I do appreciate it, coming from you.

If you worried that I would jump ship with Young Indy, then you have nothing to worry about. Sure, I'm not happy that Old Indy got the chop and we have some crappy linking segments, but because you have posted the Old Indy stuff on Youtube, I'm not too hugely bothered by those problems because we still have a decent enough product.

Other than the omnibuses, I really feel like not contributing to Lucas' pay anymore. Sure, there are other people he's hired that probably deserve my money but we can't let Lucasfilm treat us like second rate fans just because there are less of us than there are SW fans. The only thing I can think of is ignoring crappy products both SW and Indy and not buying into it. If you or anyone here has a better idea, I'll certainly listen.

Snakes

I finally played through the co-op today and was surprised at how much fun it is. I think it might actually be better than the single player overall. There isn't much of a story, but at least it doesn't feel chopped up, and the cutscenes might be kinda lazy but they do look very nice. It feels a lot a like an arcade game at times, but not in a bad way. It's a little buggy at times, but I thought it was quite good.

The more I play the single player the more it frustrates me. Not just the frustrating gameplay, but the fact that the game is so close to being amazing. One minute I'll be thinking "this is great" only to immediately get pummeled by poor game design.

For those who were disappointed by SoK, there are two games being released later this year, Wolfenstein and The Saboteur, that have both stated that Indiana Jones was a big inspiration. But, unfortunately, they aren't REAL Indy games.

Superboydevlin

Grizzlor said:
From what I am reading, the PS2 version is almost worthless. I do not have a Wii, so that version is kind of out for me, but it seems to be the only console version worth buying. Fate of Atlantis is a good addition, but I really hate Co-Op modes you can't play on single player. I'm too old to be pestering a friend to play a Wii game with me. I hate that! Hate it!

PS: I checked out the videos from the youtube link someone posted here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ShotMyEyeOut

Are those what the game actually looks like on a TV? The colors, animation, modeling, and lighting look horrible! I can't tell what is going on.

Are you stupid or blind?

Niteshade007

ronicle said:
I'm on the ps2 version, at the part where the rocks are rolling and you have to align them like the stars or something, can't past it, can someone help??

You have to hit those things on the floor in a certain order, but to be honest I can't remember the order. It's one of two things:

The circles have little pizza slices in them. Try stepping on them in the order of pizza slices shown. It's either that or you have to step on them based on the number of circles or whatever that surround them on that board. Like going on the one that has one pizza slice and then running over to 3. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's what you have to do. I think it's 1, 3, 4, 2, but don't quote me on that.

The Tingler

Violet Indy said:
Other than the omnibuses, I really feel like not contributing to Lucas' pay anymore. Sure, there are other people he's hired that probably deserve my money but we can't let Lucasfilm treat us like second rate fans just because there are less of us than there are SW fans. The only thing I can think of is ignoring crappy products both SW and Indy and not buying into it. If you or anyone here has a better idea, I'll certainly listen.

Simple. Wait until Lucas or LucasArts release an Indy product that is actually good! Has to happen.

Skipper said:
IGN gave the game (Wii version) 5.0 out of 10.

Haha! And they've been advertising it all week!!

Robyn

Niteshade007 said:
You have to hit those things on the floor in a certain order, but to be honest I can't remember the order. It's one of two things:

The circles have little pizza slices in them. Try stepping on them in the order of pizza slices shown. It's either that or you have to step on them based on the number of circles or whatever that surround them on that board. Like going on the one that has one pizza slice and then running over to 3. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's what you have to do. I think it's 1, 3, 4, 2, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks for the help!! Gonna go try that now(y)

Robyn

Violet Indy said:
Ok, reading what people have said about the PS2 version, I'm worried. I'm worried that it won't be as good as ET and I'm very not happy about co-op mode being only on Wii. Frankly, I ain't about to get a Wii just to play a better version of SoK. This combined with the cancellation of the book and a movie with many wasted opportunities, well, I can't help but feel that we're drawing the short straw with Lucasfilm and all it's affiliates. SW fans have very little to complain about (other than a couple of ok but not great movies), they get novels all the time (good or crap), cartoon TV series (a couple of times over), SW only conventions, an extensive merchandise line, a few different comic book series (still a few continuing series going today) and decent to pretty good video games.

Let's face it: Indyfans have been loyal to a much smaller, though still iconic franchise and have collected stuff with what little they have (despite how rare a lot of the merchandise is). Heck, even COW have their own fan summits in the States. We've always had to make everything on our own to continue the passion (even this forum since the official site never made one ever and I certainly wouldn't pay just to post anyway). When it's supposed to be our time, our product, there always has to be something screwed up or ignored. Some of the books that came out last year had a few obvious enough errors (like the Greatest Adventures scrapbook that couldn't match faces to names right!).

You can only screw around with the consumer for so long till they get sick of the crap and stop buying your stuff. If anymore stuff like this continues to happen, my passion for Indy will continue to wane and I will probably put my money to a different franchise (and no, it certainly won't be SW). Heck, I'm not even dressing up as an Indy character for my 21st.

If they had just published the damn book, maybe I might change my mind a little.

Nooo Violet!! Please don't do that! Don't leave the Indy world, your post actually made me feel really sad... Stoo isn't the only one who would miss you, I would miss you too!(just took me a little longer to find your post!) Besides we're both Marion fans! We all know how Lucas is:mad:, but we can't let him ruin Indy for us.. You are so right about what you said about SW! And you were really being overly kind saying his latest installments of SW were "ok" .. his latest installments of SW were for the most part..crap. Us Indy fans should do just as you said and just don't buy the crap he puts out there for us to buy, I for one never did.. I sift through the crap and once and awhile I will find something decent enough to buy.. Lucas has also always highly pissed me off by making sure Marion never makes it into anything! No books, no games, no nothing! So do me a favor Violet and stick around in the Indy fan world despite Lucas! And don't go and diss Indy on your 21st!!

I'm playing ps2 version right now, the graphics could have been better, and the beginning was kinda boring, there's some flaws here and there, like no jump button and no punch sound effect on the"hard punch" like Doc said, but now I'm passed the beginning and it's starting to get pretty fun!

Vance

Superboydevlin said:
Good bye! I am leaving this site mainly because some of you really get on my nerves! So good ridence! :mad:

My faith in God is reaffirmed.

And, just for kicks... R I D D A N C E

Raider S

I think what's happened to the Indy franchise in the last year is a slap to all the fans who've been loyal living on the tiny crumbs dropped our way.

I won't complain about CS (because either you like it or not and that's been debated in every way possible) but how about a decent game, a few novels, or even a decent novelisation of CS?

It was obvious when they killed the next gen version of SoK that the other versions would be lame - hell, they didn't even advertise this thing - so I waited for some reviews. I feel bad for all those Indy fans who preordered on blind faith and were delivered a game that might have been up to muster eight years ago! :mad:

This is like taking an old pair of cut-off khakis, slapping an Indy label on it and calling it "adventure gear" in hopes a few faithful suckers will buy into it.

The only way to stop the cycle of madness is to stop buying this trash and demand better. Hopefully the new novel will be a small step in the right direction and it sells well (if it's decent). Of course they might cancel that one too...