Fedora in the UK?

emtiem

Hello all; I'm interested in an Indy-style fedora and am quite keen on the Todd's downtowner as it looks like a decent budget replica; the only problem is that I'm in the UK and shipping plus custom costs are a bit vague on it. Has anyone else in the UK bought one and can tell me how much it will cost me in total, or perhaps is there a more local alternative?

Many thanks.

Ironclaw

I did some experimenting on Todd's website. I don't believe there's a way to estimate cost without first using the "Add to cart" function. I did that, and the next screen there is an "Estimate shipping" option. I changed it to the UK and picked a random postal code (E4). It will say in the red box at the top of the window the various options. This is what it says (at least for E4):

Global Express Guaranteed® (GXG)**: 94.85
Express Mail® International: 49.15
Priority Mail® International: 38.65
First-Class Mail® International Package**: 32.87

Of course, your price may change depending on where you live specifically.

emtiem

Sure; and which I take it is in $! :)

Are there any UK fans who have done it? I'm after finding out what the customs charges may be on it.

Still undecided whether to go for this or the Akuba Federation.

Mickiana

I'd recommend the Akubra Fed, but I am biased. It is a great hat, very solidly made and really looks the part.

The Character

I have a Todds downtowner (and am in london) and i love it ... its pre-shaped but i've had cheaper 'bashable' hats as well and i've found the sizing is very inconsistent unless you can try them on ..... two eventually went in the bin.

Measure your head for a good but snug fit and then order the Todds DT .... it looks great (especially if you throw some dust and baby oil at it ....) so i have nothing but praised and i just ordered a 2nd one. But be aware it is the flared tilted brim 'streets' look and not the 'stovepipe'.

I';m in the enviable position of knowing someone in a company in San Diego that is happy to send them with a uk shipment of toys now and again but shipping is not to hideous ...

Via KT i ordered a pair of Todds pants and those were about 13 quid shipping and came 2 days later .. the hat i'd say is lighter but bulkier as it comes in a cool sturdy box ..... based on the pants cost I'm guessing you'd expect to pay 20 quid max shipping (i think less) but you won't be disappointed ...

emtiem

Ah; thank you.. Ed..?

Must admit I've gone for an Akuba now due to the positivity here: I'll report back if there are any horrible customs charges!

inky_skin

I recently ordered an Akubra Fed from hatsdirect.com (end of July). Great customer service, no import charges, arrived in the UK in about 7 days. Can't fault the hat in any way. Easy to shape, comfortable to wear. I think you've made the right choice for a "budget" solution.

emtiem

No import charge? that's good to know- thanks! Just have to find out now if I measured myself properly! Seemed to be between a 58 and 59 on average so went for the 59 figuring I'll be able to put some felt in if I need: fingers crossed!

inky_skin

I got a 60 and it's a great fit. They also include some foam tape which you can affix inside the hatband - should take it down a size if necessary.

They put the actual value on the box, but marked it clearly as "gift" - don't know if this got around the tax issue. Your experience may vary ;)