The Indiana Jones World Map

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo... you'd be surprised who watches the reads the Raven posts...so you may get your official answer to the Map questions..

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Attila, did Mr. Busch actually place Mayapore in China or is that an error on your part?:confused:

Yeah, that was a transcription error on my part. It is India.

Also, for the record, my number is 247 of 255.

lightsyder said:
Anyone know if these will be sold again or was it a one time sale?
Mine is signed/not numbered, so I'm pretty sure you can still get one. Send him an email, he sounds like a nice guy.

dr.jones1986

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah, that was a transcription error on my part. It is India.

Also, for the record, my number is 247 of 255.
Any reason that the Nurhachi Urn was put near Turkey, seems very strange.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
dr.jones1986 said:
Any reason that the Nurhachi Urn was put near Turkey, seems very strange.

The recent junior novel, apparently.

In 1935, Indiana Jones was hired by Lao Che, a Chinese crime lord, to retrieve the ashes. Jones discovered the ashes sitting in a Turkish pawn shop in Istanbul, and brought them to Shanghai[1].

A strong part of me refuses to believe this. 1935 is insane enough as it is without adding a second visit to Turkey to the existing multiple visits to China and India. (Honestly, can we just all get together and agree that Emperor's Tomb is some kind of a fever dream? It fouls everything up.)

dr.jones1986

The recent junior novel, apparently.

A strong part of me refuses to believe this. 1935 is insane enough as it is without adding a second visit to Turkey to the existing multiple visits to China and India. (Honestly, can we just all get together and agree that Emperor's Tomb is some kind of a fever dream? It fouls everything up.)
1935 Is very jam packed with adventure for Indy and a second trip to Turkey before TOD would be implausible. I prefer to go with The Emperor's Tomb as canon and Indy discovering Nurhachi's ashes in China after the events of the game. It is silly that a Chinese Emperor's ashes would be in Turkey anyway and it seems the only source that mentions this is the junior novel anyway. If you have Indy finding Nurhachi in China then he only makes one trip to the country because the search for Nurhachi begins right after the end of Emperor's Tomb.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
dr.jones1986 said:
1935 Is very jam packed with adventure for Indy and a second trip to Turkey before TOD would be implausible. I prefer to go with The Emperor's Tomb as canon and Indy discovering Nurhachi's ashes in China after the events of the game. It is silly that a Chinese Emperor's ashes would be in Turkey anyway and it seems the only source that mentions this is the junior novel anyway. If you have Indy finding Nurhachi in China then he only makes one trip to the country because the search for Nurhachi begins right after the end of Emperor's Tomb.

Well, Emperor's Tomb also throws the events of Max McCoy's Secret of the Sphinx (and Dinosaur Eggs, as far as Wu Han is concerned) into chaos.

But here's what I can reconstruct from the snippet views on Google Books of Suzanne Weyn's 2008 account of the recovery of Nurhachi, from page 15:

Suzanne Weyn said:
Whatever Lao Che's reasons were, Indy had to admit, at least to himself, that he'd enjoyed the challenge of finding the urn containing Nurhachi's ashes. Years earlier, it had been smuggled out of China and sold on the black market. Through rigorous research and with steely determination, Indy had tracked the urn to a tiny, dark pawn shop in Istanbul where it had been sitting unopened for years. Indiana toasted Nurhachi. "Welcome home, old boy," he said, draining the last...

So, that's what we've got. And as I recall, incidentally, Marcus mentions Nurhachi at the end of Secret of the Sphinx:

Max McCoy said:
"And I'm sure someday you'll tell me," Brody said. "Oh, one last thing, and the real reason I called. Have you ever heard of something called the ashes of Nurhachi?"
"Yes," Indy said, "but I'd like to rest before I go to Shanghai chasing after them. Also, I've got a job offer that I need to consider. I may be changing colleges soon."

Which gives us an apparent, although not entirely necessary, contradiction. Still...Emperor's Tomb ruins everything.

(Oh, and the college in question is Barnett, in 1934. Seems like Marshall was the temporary post.)

dr.jones1986

Well, Emperor's Tomb also throws the events of Max McCoy's Secret of the Sphinx (and Dinosaur Eggs, as far as Wu Han is concerned) into chaos.

But here's what I can reconstruct from the snippet views on Google Books of Suzanne Weyn's 2008 account of the recovery of Nurhachi, from page 15:

So, that's what we've got. And as I recall, incidentally, Marcus mentions Nurhachi at the end of Secret of the Sphinx:

Which gives us an apparent, although not entirely necessary, contradiction. Still...Emperor's Tomb ruins everything.

(Oh, and the college in question is Barnett, in 1934. Seems like Marshall was the temporary post.)
Indy meeting Wu Han in Dinosaur Eggs (which makes more sense as far as them being "old friends") and entering the tomb of the First Emperor in Secret of the Spinx are contradictions with Emperor's Tomb. The game also has Indy at Barnett College, which Secret of the Spinx mentions at the end of the novel. This just seems like a bad mistake on the writers of these stories. It is an easy mistake to understand because they don't really mention the name of the college Indy works for in Raiders.

I still like Indy finding Nurhachi in China as a better backstory because it would give him more time to interact with Wu Han and Short Round, who Indy appears to be close with by the time of ToD.

Originally Posted by Suzanne Weyn
Whatever Lao Che's reasons were, Indy had to admit, at least to himself, that he'd enjoyed the challenge of finding the urn containing Nurhachi's ashes. Years earlier, it had been smuggled out of China and sold on the black market. Through rigorous research and with steely determination, Indy had tracked the urn to a tiny, dark pawn shop in Istanbul where it had been sitting unopened for years.

Wow, Indy walked into a Pawn Shop and bought it...ADVENTURE!

What a sh!tty, lazy imagination.(n)

God knows Istanbul Pawn dealers are sticklers for provenance.:rolleyes:

Sounds like Crystal Skull-era uninspired crap writing.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Wow, Indy walked into a Pawn Shop and bought it...ADVENTURE!

A different kind of ballsy adventure?

516701_d4c86a65.jpg

Lao_Che

Hmm... Should I use my invisibility powers for good or for evil..?

dr.jones1986 said:
Indy meeting Wu Han in Dinosaur Eggs (which makes more sense as far as them being "old friends") and entering the tomb of the First Emperor in Secret of the Spinx are contradictions with Emperor's Tomb. The game also has Indy at Barnett College, which Secret of the Spinx mentions at the end of the novel. This just seems like a bad mistake on the writers of these stories. It is an easy mistake to understand because they don't really mention the name of the college Indy works for in Raiders.

I still like Indy finding Nurhachi in China as a better backstory because it would give him more time to interact with Wu Han and Short Round, who Indy appears to be close with by the time of ToD.

1933's still too soon for an old friend to me. The ToD Sourcebook had Wu Han meeting and helping out Indy and his dad in 1914 when they were in China chasing up Holy Grail clues (which they did in the Young Indy books after WW1 kept Henry from his European sources).

LucasArts ain't too great for maintaining continuity. The only thing keeping Abner Ravenwood out of Emperor's Tomb was game limitations. :dead:

dr.jones1986

Lao_Che said:
Hmm... Should I use my invisibility powers for good or for evil..?

1933's still too soon for an old friend to me. The ToD Sourcebook had Wu Han meeting and helping out Indy and his dad in 1914 when they were in China chasing up Holy Grail clues (which they did in the Young Indy books after WW1 kept Henry from his European sources).

LucasArts ain't too great for maintaining continuity. The only thing keeping Abner Ravenwood out of Emperor's Tomb was game limitations. :dead:
1933 may not seem very old but it is still better than him meeting Wu Han a few weeks before the movie.

Crack that whip

This is quite nice, the discrepancies (arising from source material) notwithstanding. I'm actually a little irritated because I've had some very similar ideas I was planning on doing purely for myself, but this is still an attractive poster and I had to get it myself.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10...ool+Comic+News+&+Rumors)&utm_content=FaceBook

Rick Olney Sells Indiana Jones World Wap Without Matt Busch Or Lucasfilm?s Permission
Submitted by Rich Johnston on October 3, 2011 ? 9:00 am (15) comments

Not too long ago, we pointed out that Matt Busch was the latest to fall victim to Rick Olney, who has cancelled the Adironack Comic Fest which was meant to sell Busch?s Indiana Jones World Map to benefit the Disabled American Veterans charity. Well, the convention is gone. The charity has asked that Olney not use its name when fundraising. As to what happens to the maps that Busch sent to Olney after he requested their return, first Rick e-mailed Busch saying;

?Well, I had asked you nicely not to take that step. And, because you?re so inclined I?ll share with you that I intend on burning your maps tomorrow. I?m all done being manipulated. You think embarrassing me is a game. Lets see how you like learning a lesson.?

But now Rick has announced that he will be selling the maps for $59.95, with payments only via Money Order, a payment system nigh on impossible to track. So you may not be able to prove you sent the payment or that it was cashed by Rick.

He says that the money will be donated to an unnamed disabled veterans charity, and any unsold maps will be returned to Busch.

This is against authorisation of Matt Busch and of Lucasfilm. What we need is a real Indiana Jones to tak them back! As it is, we?ll have to rely on Lucasfiulm lawyers.

Sharkey

Whats better than gossip? Nerd gossip!

How can I get in touch with Rick Olney cuz I want to buy one of those maps. Do you have a link where he's sellin them?

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
You KNOW it's a two man operation right?:)
No, I did not know that, Rocket. Maybe it should be a 3 man operation.;)
RaiderMitch said:
Stoo... you'd be surprised who watches the reads the Raven posts...so you may get your official answer to the Map questions..
Actually, Mitch, it wouldn't suprise me who reads the threads because I know who one of them is and the user name he posts with.;)

As for getting an official answer, I doubt that very much.:(