General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters
Montana Smith said:
If Shia says it's going to be "crazy", then yes, I do believe him! And I don't want to see a "crazy" Indy movie.

I'm not going to get worked up about the use of the word "crazy." Who knows what Shia means by that? He could be saying it's going to involve lots of globe-trotting and big action set pieces and a story which incorporates many different elements - as in it's going to be crazy to work on.

Come on, people! Can't we try to be positive about this?

Montana Smith

robisindy said:
I'm not going to get worked up about the use of the word "crazy." Who knows what Shia means by that? He could be saying it's going to involve lots of globe-trotting and big action set pieces and a story which incorporates many different elements - as in it's going to be crazy to work on.

Or it's "crazy" that they'd even employ him again after he aired his view of KOTCS!

"Crazy" is promotional Hollywood-speak.

robisindy said:
Come on, people! Can't we try to be positive about this?

If Mutt's in it, then I'll expect the worst.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JP Jones said:
It says it comes strait from shia. Not like that rumor about the bermuda triangle that came from "movie bosses" or something like that. If he actually said that, it's true!

Bolded and underlined for emphasis.

indyt

Didnt Ford also say the idea was "crazy" several months back? I dont know why I keep thinking of time travel. :confused:

kevster

Well I'm glad there is some news, cause I was kinda of giving up on Indy 5.

Wonder where and when Shia said these things...

Indy's brother

The entire blurb from the article:

“They’re script writing right now,” says Shia. “I got called into Steven’s office and he pitched a little bit to me and it sounds crazy, it sounds really cool.”

Hey, "crazy" could really mean anything under the sun. Coming from Shia, doubly so. Who even knows the context he said it in, he could have just meant "cool". To anyone who is interested in an Indy 5, this is good news in any light. If for no other reason than the veil of silence being lifted for a nanosecond so that we know it's not dead in the water. For me, this tiny morsel made my day/week/month/indefinite-period-until-we-hear-something-more....:D

edit: Oh, and indyt, that was awesome!

indyt said:
Didnt Ford also say the idea was "crazy" several months back? I dont know why I keep thinking of time travel.

Texas

Finally we hear some news about Indy 5. I was starting to give up hope this film would ever get made. Here's hoping Shia is right about the writing of a script. The fat lady still hasn't sung yet on Indy!

Montana Smith

Time travel would be "crazy".

Indy and Mutt travel back to the 1930's.

Mutt mysteriously dies en route.

Indy mysteriously regresses and emerges from the time machine looking exactly like Leonardo diCaprio, and sets about continuing his proper pulp 1930s adventures.

In another thirty years the holders of the franchise can repeat the process.

The word "crazy" in Hollywood covers a multitude of sins, attempting to create excitement for a project without revealing anything about it.

I'm really not crazy about another family adventure. They can leave that to Disney's National Treasure.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Oh God.... are we still talking about time travel as a possibility? Stop giving George "crazy ideas"!

That would be worse than aliens. *cringes*

Btw, I see the upkeep finally decided to have an Indy 5 table. What happened?

Montana Smith

Violet Indy said:
Oh God.... are we still talking about time travel as a possibility? Stop giving George "crazy ideas"!

Yes, he has enough of those without any extra help!

Violet Indy said:
That would be worse than aliens. *cringes*

Yes, again. Time travel only works in a series of movies, if it's part of them from the beginning - as in Back to the Future, Planet of the Apes, or Terminator. These movies were built around the concept of travelling in time.

To introduce it in Indy V would be a cheap gimmick, and an easy way of getting Indy back to his classic adventuring period or as a way of rebooting the series coupled with a Dr. Who style regeneration.

It would also upset the balance and stability of the preceding storyline - it would throw everything into doubt, because there's the chance that anything can be changed (including giving the Cairo Swordsman a gun and making him shoot first!)

Last edited:

Montana Smith

tocksic said:
Holy sh... you ain't George Lucas incognito right? :p

Shhhh.

Nobody else knows that this is where I come for inspiration! So far I've got a family holiday on Bermuda interrupted by time-travelling Atlantean aliens. Indy's going to die in the first five minutes and then Mutt will become the new Indy for then next twelve movies... GL

indyt

Hey guys, didnt say I wanted time travel. But that is exactly something Lucas is capable of throwing at us. Trust me, I want something as close to ROTLA as possible. I would even like something as supernatural as demons and Hell. Indy finding the gates of Hell would be cool. By the way, did anyone see the history channel a few nights ago. They had a program on the gates of hell, six of them in fact. Really interesting. I found out I have acutally been to one and did not know it!

Montana Smith

indyt said:
Hey guys, didnt say I wanted time travel.

So you were the one putting voices in my head? :p

indyt said:
But that is exactly something Lucas is capable of throwing at us.

Precisely.

indyt said:
Trust me, I want something as close to ROTLA as possible.

I hear ya!

indyt said:
I would even like something as supernatural as demons and Hell. Indy finding the gates of Hell would be cool.

Now I'm starting to go deaf again.

This came up the other day in the supernatural thread. I don't have a problem with weird demonic creatures (e.g., Lovecraft's Cthulhu), but I find it hard to go along with Christian notions of Heaven and Hell made real. Mysterious forces and lesser creatures would be okay, but not Mr. Big Beardy or Mr. Nastry Horns themselves.

indyt said:
By the way, did anyone see the history channel a few nights ago. They had a program on the gates of hell, six of them in fact. Really interesting. I found out I have acutally been to one and did not know it!

I didn't see it, but since many cultures have their own versions of heaven and hell (Norse and Greek, for instance), and because Indy's universe is populated by many gods, the many levels of heaven and hell may be physical locations occupied by the deities of differing cultures, or the levels may be in other dimensions - such as the dimension the IDBs occupy. That would mean that in Indy's universe Satan would be just one of the main bad guys, and would likely be competing with other demonic forces to capture souls for their respective kingdoms.

indyt

Montana Smith said:
So you were the one putting voices in my head? :p

Precisely.

I hear ya!

Now I'm starting to go deaf again.

This came up the other day in the supernatural thread. I don't have a problem with weird demonic creatures (e.g., Lovecraft's Cthulhu), but I find it hard to go along with Christian notions of Heaven and Hell made real. Mysterious forces and lesser creatures would be okay, but not Mr. Big Beardy or Mr. Nastry Horns themselves.

I didn't see it, but since many cultures have their own versions of heaven and hell (Norse and Greek, for instance), and because Indy's universe is populated by many gods, the many levels of heaven and hell may be physical locations occupied by the deities of differing cultures, or the levels may be in other dimensions - such as the dimension the IDBs occupy. That would mean that in Indy's universe Satan would be just one of the main bad guys, and would likely be competing with other demonic forces to capture souls for their respective kingdoms.

Nice post Montana, enjoying reading them. Yea, I want another Raiders, but me thinks we will never see one. On the demon stuff, I just think Hell would be cool for Indy to find. I am not talking about the devil, dont want to see him as much as I did not want to see aliens. Yes, I beleive in Hell and Satan, but dont care to see Indy go up against him. As you were alluding to, (I think), have an ancient god masqueraded by an evil spirit sort of thing. I don't know. All I know is this, I want at least one more Indy movie and then I can die! I have been a fan for so long. I want Lucas to redeem himself from the SW prequels and Crystal Skull, which had its good parts, and bring us one final awesome Indy adventure.

Montana Smith

indyt said:
Nice post Montana, enjoying reading them.

:hat:

indyt said:
Yea, I want another Raiders, but me thinks we will never see one.

We probably won't, but I do hope for for something more in its honourable tradition, with a good dose of blood and dirt, a really tough opponent, a real sense of menace and suspense.

indyt said:
On the demon stuff, I just think Hell would be cool for Indy to find. I am not talking about the devil, dont want to see him as much as I did not want to see aliens. Yes, I beleive in Hell and Satan, but dont care to see Indy go up against him. As you were alluding to, (I think), have an ancient god masqueraded by an evil spirit sort of thing.

As in the supernatural thread, I was thinking out loud of undead Nazis, raised by pseudo-scientific means, by some neo-Nazi madman. Those are the forces of hell. A mixture of ancient mysterious power and human invention - mechanical zombies, the dead reanimated with machinery and by a spark of unknown power, like Lovecraft's cultists calling on old, forgotten gods, creatures from other dimensions who precede general human beliefs. If it really is going to be the Bermuda Triangle and Atlantis, this could be a portal to that other dimension, and a site where the Nazis who never accepted surrender constructed a hidden Fourth Reich, dabbling in strange forces. We could hear Indy muttering that line again: "Nazis. I hate these guys."

Indy would be lead to the underwater lair after finding clues in various part of the world - maybe a group of weird cultists in forested Maine, leading to a secure Siberian location, to liberate documentation seized from Berlin in 1945, containing plans for the continuation of Hitler's twisted vision - which the Soviets treated in the same manner that the US Government treated the Ark. They just filed them away along with the mass of other seized documents.

Yet, I have a feeling that Indy V will resemble something more akin to National Treasure.

indyt said:
I don't know. All I know is this, I want at least one more Indy movie and then I can die! I have been a fan for so long. I want Lucas to redeem himself from the SW prequels and Crystal Skull, which had its good parts, and bring us one final awesome Indy adventure.

Don't leave us too soon, there may even be an Indy VI!