Deirdre Campbell

DIrishB

Sankara said:
Watch the movies and you know that was nevery married to Deidre...

These lousy booky are "Expanded Universe". They've got nothing to do with the movies...

Which is fine, if you only accept the movies as canon. I accept almost everything Indy as canon (the Star Wars expanded universe approach). To each their own.

But for those of us who consider the novels canon, yes, Indy was married or a very short time to Deirdre.

DIrishB said:
But I personally prefer to think of Spike's mom as Marion.

Stoo said:
Noooo...the un-named, redhead daughter is definitely Spike's mom. I figured that out here. Post #48:
Indy's daughter in TV series?

Whoops! I meant to say Spike's mom's mom. :eek:

Or on a simpler note, Spike's grandmother.

Nothing except the main character!:rolleyes: Anyway, this is a thread entitled "Dierdre Campbell" in the Indy Literature section. It's not about the movies.
Anyway, if you're holding this quote from Lucas to debunk the CANON status of the books, keep in mind that in the same paragraph Lucas talks about
events from Young Indy which you consider NON-CANON (but let's not go down that road again).:p

That says it all right there. ;)

Luke Skywalker

Marion...cannot or should not have another baby post KOTCS.

THe daughter of Indy could be from another woman. Afterall he already had an unkown son, and with all the women he has met, the probabilities of another is high...

DIrishB

Luke Skywalker said:

THe daughter of Indy could be from another woman. Afterall he already had an unkown son, and with all the women he has met, the probabilities of another is high...

True. I guess I'm on the fence about that. It all depends on whether the Old Indy bookends are considered canonical or not.

DIrishB

Sankara said:
Fact is: GL said that Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"...

No, he didn't. We had this conversation already, and Stoo explained it:

Stoo said:
This is being taken out of context. The quote is Lucas talking about *Indy's life after WW2 ended* and the events since Crusade
"some 18 years ago". Apparently, Henry Sr. wanted grandchildren which Junior failed to produce.

If you don't consider the expanded universe stuff canon, thats fine. Others do. Its up to personal preference, and unless something is said in one of the movies about it (which it never has been explicitly stated one way or the other), I don't care what Lucas says behind the scenes or in some book or whatever.

And for the obvious rebuttal:
And thats the way you WANT to read it Sankara.
Different opinions can exist you know. Shocking but true.

And don't start on that whole Lucas's opinion is the only opinion stuff, we all know what way you argued about young indy prior to KOTCS

DIrishB

Sankara said:
Sankara No, this is only what you WANT to read.

GL said that Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"...

OUT OF CONTEXT.

On this one, I'm with Stoo.

Jeremiah Jones said:
And for the obvious rebuttal:
And thats the way you WANT to read it Sankara.
Different opinions can exist you know. Shocking but true.

And don't start on that whole Lucas's opinion is the only opinion stuff, we all know what way you argued about young indy prior to KOTCS

Especially since Lucas' opinion of his own work seems to change every ten years or so. I expect we'll see a new re-edited version of the Indy quadrilogy and Young Indy show in another ten years or so.

:rolleyes:

Sankara

Actually I DON'T care about GL's opinion. But many of you guys do. I just want you to know that GL said Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"... :D

DIrishB

Sankara said:
Actually I DON'T care about GL's opinion. But many of you guys do. I just want you to know that GL said Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"... :D

I don't think many people care much about Lucas' opinion, at least post SW Prequel Trilogy and Crystal Skull.

As for the comment by Lucas himself, can you post THE ENTIRE comment by him concerning the marriage thing, so we can determine once and for all if it was or wasn't taken out of context?

The whole yes/no argument is childish and is getting us nowhere.

Lao_Che

DIrishB said:
I don't think many people care much about Lucas' opinion, at least post SW Prequel Trilogy and Crystal Skull.

As for the comment by Lucas himself, can you post THE ENTIRE comment by him concerning the marriage thing, so we can determine once and for all if it was or wasn't taken out of context?

The whole yes/no argument is childish and is getting us nowhere.

George Lucas sez:
George Lucas said:
"Indy ended up a secret agent because he'd had all this experience in World War I in the Beligian army and as a spy; he was older, so he couldn't really fight," George Lucas says. "Afterward he got out of that, teaching and getting artifacts and selling them. So in terms of his personal life, he hasn't really done that much. He never got married, and his father gives him a really hard time about it-there are scripts where all this came out. His father wanted to have grandchildren, and he worries that Indy's not happy. Then his father dies, and Indy goes along in his rut."

That can be taken both ways by the look of it. Still, he didn't say no when the book was written anyway. (Though McCoy did in Secret of the Sphinx ;) )

Luke Skywalker said:

Why shouldn't she have had a second child?

Junior Jones

Sankara said:

If you really "just want [us] to know", then you've succeeded. We have been informed. Thanks.

Though it seems more like you "just want to" convince us all that we're wrong, and that the EU is crap, and that only the four (three?) movies are worthwhile. If that's the case, you might as well give up because many of us (myself included) have blinded ourselves to the fact that our enjoyment of the EU is all just a big, pointless waste of time and energy. Perhaps you should just sit back, secure in your superior knowledge of Dr. Jones, and allow us the misguided pleasure of desperately clinging to our beliefs that Indy was married and has worked at more that one college. It makes us happy, and we're only hurting ourselves.

DIrishB

Lao_Che said:
That can be taken both ways by the look of it. Still, he didn't say no when the book was written anyway. (Though McCoy did in Secret of the Sphinx ;) )

Thanks, Lao_Che. You're right, though. It does lean towards Lucas meaning Indy was never married, but as you said, he (or someone at Lucasfilm) did approve of the Indy/Deirdre marriage when the book was released.

As for Secret of the Sphinx...haven't gotten there yet. Just finishing up Philosopher's Stone. :)

And again, its up to personal preference. Some only consider the movies canon (some only Raiders canon, disavowing the sequels/prequel), whereas others like myself consider ALL the Expanded Universe material canon.

There's no point in arguing what is or isn't canon when it comes to Indy. Just include what you want.

Junior Jones said:
If you really "just want [us] to know", then you've succeeded. We have been informed. Thanks.

Though it seems more like you "just want to" convince us all that we're wrong, and that the EU is crap, and that only the four (three?) movies are worthwhile. If that's the case, you might as well give up because many of us (myself included) have blinded ourselves to the fact that our enjoyment of the EU is all just a big, pointless waste of time and energy. Perhaps you should just sit back, secure in your superior knowledge of Dr. Jones, and allow us the misguided pleasure of desperately clinging to our beliefs that Indy was married and has worked at more that one college. It makes us happy, and we're only hurting ourselves.

I agree, though I think Sankara means well. Like I said, its a personal preference thing. There's about as much point to arguing that fact as there is religion, politics, or sex.

Canyon

All I can say about this thread is, whoah! :eek:

Geez. I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur! :D

whipwarrior

I know I'm crashing the party late, but several years ago I did actually discover the inspiration for Struzan's portrait of Deirdre (quite by accident) while conducting research for a story that I was writing. On page 107 of the Time-Life 'Our American Century' series book, The Jazz Age, I was astonished to see a very familiar face looking back at me:

deirdre.jpg

As it turns out, Indy's fair wife is portrayed by a 1920's female golf pro named Glenna Collett! Struzan made her features look a bit more Scottish, but the resemblance is uncanny. This is clearly the photo that he used for Deirdre. :hat:

Montana Smith

whipwarrior said:
I know I'm crashing the party late, but several years ago I did actually discover the inspiration for Struzan's portrait of Deirdre (quite by accident) while conducting research for a story that I was writing. On page 107 of the Time-Life 'Our American Century' series book, The Jazz Age, I was astonished to see a very familiar face looking back at me:

2985248800_05b03b7054.jpg

As it turns out, Indy's fair wife is portrayed by a 1920's female golf pro named Glenna Collett! Struzan made her features look a bit more Scottish, but the resemblance is uncanny. This is clearly the photo that he used for Deirdre. :hat:

I came to this thread late as well. If it wasn't for your post I don't think I would have seen it. That's a great find, whipwarrior, and thanks for posting it.

I haven't read any of the non-movie novels, so I had to dig up the cover to put your picture into context:

seven_d.jpg

Reading Deirdre's biography on the Indy Wikia made me think of Bond cradling Tracy's body at the end of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. A turning point in Indy's life...

Now I should read the rest of this thread.

EDIT: Having now read the thread (oh, and great posting back there Stoo!), this from Struzan is interesting:

Shipwreck said:
and now for that reply from artist Drew Struzan:

I needed a girl to support the story and one from the period in style or looks. This girl fit the bill for me where ever she came from and I never looked back. Blow me down if there isn't any more to it than that and if I don't have memory on anything more specific. If she is fulfilling someone's fantasy or is some kind of inspiration to another, so much the better.

Last edited:

whipwarrior

Yeah, I also e-mailed Struzan many years ago to ask who the model for Deirdre was, and he said that he didn't remember, or something like that. I also got the same answer when I asked about Gale Parker on the cover of Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates. Later, I learned that Gale was based on Amelia Earhart, which is quite obvious when you compare the pictures. While the artwork is legendary to us fans, it was just one of many jobs for the prolific artist, so we can't fault Struzan for a bad memory considering that he painted those Indy covers nearly two decades ago.