Tintin and Indiana connection

Adventurer

Thanks for the information, Vaxer. I have the old print. It's a hardcover edition accompanying an additional softcover book which contains the translation from french (or for cases where it is hardly readable at all because of handwritten dialogue).

I don't know the original edition from 'Tintin and the temple of the sun' but in the current one, it seems that the book drags a bit in the beginning, or is it just me? The ride to the Temple of the sun seems a bit streched, one accident happens after another. I alway thought this is because of the exact 64 pages every album does need to have...?

My favorites are also 'Tintin and the Picaros' and "The red sea sharks".

MP3, i'm not Finn, but may i possibly answer your question? 'Tintin and the Lake of Sharks' is the last one seen techically, but i've heard that many people do not consider that one as an original, because it is (IIRC!) made of still pictures taken from the animated film of the same name, and not by Hergé itself.(im not saying that is why Finn said Picaros is the last one, just a general idea. Hope that helps.)

matthiassatlure

What can I say..Captain Haddock is one of my heroes. I don't know why, though.

Did you guys read the one where Tintin and Haddock go to the place where the Grail temple in Last Crusade was filmed? I thought that was kinda cool. (I think it's red sea sharks)

Finn

Staff member
Adventurer said:
MP3, i'm not Finn, but may i possibly answer your question? 'Tintin and the Lake of Sharks' is the last one seen techically, but i've heard that many people do not consider that one as an original, because it is (IIRC!) made of still pictures taken from the animated film of the same name, and not by Hergé itself.(im not saying that is why Finn said Picaros is the last one, just a general idea. Hope that helps.)
Correct. I know the Lake of Sharks, but as I consider it as a part of the Tintin lore nevertheless, I respect Picaros as Herge's last piece of work.

QueZTone

Lake of Sharks had an odd feel to it. It wasn't "really" Tintin. It's like a dream. Does it really exist? You better check your bookcase if it does. I say you only dreamed it. Picaros is the last! :)

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Ma charette et mon âne...

I saw Lake of sharks but didn't find it very good. Originaly It's a film not a comic book, so Picaros IS the last one. Plus one detail has always bothered me: in Lake of sharks Tintin doesn't dress like he did in the others.

Lake of sharks was an animated film, there was also a real Tintin film: Tintin and the blue oranges (Tintin et les oranges bleues).

Finn

Staff member
Re: Ma charette et mon âne...

vaxer said:
I saw Lake of sharks but didn't find it very good. Originaly It's a film not a comic book, so Picaros IS the last one. Plus one detail has always bothered me: in Lake of sharks Tintin doesn't dress like he did in the others.
I don't actually know what you're meaning about... but he already dressed different in Picaros. Just have a good look at his pants.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
You're right, Tintin lost his golf pants in Picaros. I hadn't noticed :eek:

<small>There goes my Tintin credibility...</small>

Finn

Staff member
<small>...hey, you still know whole lot of more about the series than most people in here.</small>

jonesissparrow

Dreamworks is handling the movie version of Tintin. Steven Spielberg, a lifelong fan of The Adventures of Tintin.[37] Spielberg's love of the character is thought to have influenced the atmosphere and lead characterization in his Indiana Jones trilogy
- Wikipedia

Do you think some Tintin might've influenced Indy, I think one thing have these two series in common both heroes are globe trotters and both gets in serious trouble in a cliffhanger manner.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Could've sworn there used to be a Tintin feature on the website...I suppose there's just some references to it in Raiders of the Lost Drafts, by bellosh, on the main page. Check it out.

NoCamels

Hmm, "Tintin and the Picaros" (can't remember if this translates, I have it in Spanish) takes place in South America, with Mayan-type pyramids. I think they get tangled up with a revolution, hang out with the natives, and fight off crocodiles and electric eels.
In "The Tornasol Case" (Tornasol Affair?), someone has made a mysterious sound wave weapon (using WW2 German research) and Tintin and Haddock travel Europe trying to figure out what is going on. Those are the two books I can find at the moment. "Tornasol" is copyrighted 1954, too.

Tintin kind of reminds me of a cross between Indy and MacGyver...but more like MacGyver. In one story he builds an airplane out of parts and carves a new propeller out of wood. That's definetly more like MacGyver.

Blue Jay

i think it is quite a possibility that they have influenced indy.
i have all books and they are really really good.

the first book appeared around 1930 and the last one is the above mentioned picaros story set in south america.

there are spy stories but also stories about historical artefacts with mystical powers, i.e. mayan sun temple and some magic crystal globe!

Gilles V

Administrator Emeritus
Attila the Professor said:
Could've sworn there used to be a Tintin feature on the website...I suppose there's just some references to it in Raiders of the Lost Drafts, by bellosh, on the main page. Check it out.

I wish I could present you a Tintin feature on TheRaider.net but have yet to find a good writer. There was once a writer ready to take on the task but he never started writing. :(

fixer79

I know that before his death in 1983, Tintin creator Hergé had wanted Spielberg to do a Tintin movie...

Seems like his wish is finally becoming true.

I once, not that long ago, saw a short documentary about a failed attempt to bring 'Prisoners of the Sun' to the Silver Screen many years ago.
The director that had wanted to do the Tintin picture at the time was interviewed for that recent documentary.
He turned out to be a very bitter man. I remember that he stated that Spielberg had stolen from Hergé's Tintin when he made Indiana Jones.

Of course, that statement is a bit harsh to say the least. Indy is far from a copy of Tintin, like that French director claimed. There's just a handful of similarites (most of which have already been stated above), that's all...

Kingsley

fixer79 said:
I know that before his death in 1983, Tintin creator Hergé had wanted Spielberg to do a Tintin movie...
Glad to know that... glad to know that Hergé got to know Indiana Jones as well. If Spielberg and Peter Jackson work toghether, it could result in an interesting adaptation.

jonesissparrow

Kingsley said:
Glad to know that... glad to know that Hergé got to know Indiana Jones as well. If Spielberg and Peter Jackson work toghether, it could result in an interesting adaptation.

It will be a miraculous team up to be sure, great directors like Jackson and Spielberg who've made some of my favorite films, the 2 trilogies (Indy and Lotr), 1941, King Kong will bring Tintin to justice and plus its a series I've kind of grew up on TV. So to me this is a win/win situation I don't think they'll mess it up.

metalinvader

I had one graphic novel as a kid called "Tintin in Tibet".I remember it being a real fun read.

Now will this movie be live action?

jonesissparrow

No

Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg were contemplating about it but felt it wouldn't give the world of Herge its proper due. So they are going to motion capture the characters that will make them human yet retain the same Tintin look ( if you want to know what motion capture is, watch The Polar Express or go see Beowulf that will come out this fall.)