Infernal Machine The Best Indy Game

Dust McAlan

The Tingler said:
I've got all the cool Infernal Machine music that doesn't feature The Raiders March at IndyJones.net.

As for that N64 track you want, just PM me with your email and I'll send you it.
I found the track at Skeemr, but thanks for the offer!

Yeah, Infernal Machine still rings true as the most epic and truest of the Indy video game adventures. Mostly because, for me, it was the first Indy to actually have "action" in it, combined with the adventure of the point and clickers, something Emperor's Tomb didn't have. It was intelligent, it was action packed, and you could explore to your heart's content. Very much my favorite Indy game.

peterlally

Quickening said:
I probably personally prefer Fate of Atlantis but Infernal Machine just has an epic feel which can't be conveyed in the old point and clickers. I remember first walking out into the Olmec Valley. Just a lush sweeping landscape to explore.

I agree, I have fond memories of IM.

The Tingler

LawgSkrak said:
I have a question abou the music. Is it orchestral music, like in the movies, or is it computer music?

It's synthesized music. Better than MIDI music like FOA, but sounds computery compared to the real orchestral stuff like the films or Emperor's Tomb.

LawgSkrak

Well, my N64 copy finally showed up, and wow, the controls for this game SUCK! I can't even kill the damn snake or tiger in the return to Peru section (first section I tried.)

Junior Jones

LawgSkrak said:
Well, my N64 copy finally showed up, and wow, the controls for this game SUCK! I can't even kill the damn snake or tiger in the return to Peru section (first section I tried.)

You can't kill the tiger. You can scare it away by firing your gun, but other than that you just have to avoid it.

IAdventurer01

LawgSkrak said:

You can kill the tiger with a WELL placed bazooka, I believe, but there's no auto aim on it. The snake - well, you just don't have a handle on the controls. They aren't necessarily intuitive, but you'll adjust.

Leiter91

IM was an infinetely better game than ET. Yeah, I feel you with the epic-ness...like after roaming around the freggin volcano for an hour or so and then finally reaching that hidden valley with all the palm trees, monkeys, and rivers and hearing that really awsome music play that sounded like a 16 piece orchestra...that was cool. (y)

The Tingler

Indy&HanFan said:
i only have 2 indy games. emperor's tomb and lego indy. how old are the other games?

Emperor's Tomb came out 2003, Infernal Machine 1999. While the controls are fiddly and the character models blocky even by 1999's standards (Lego Indy is less blocky!), with less reliance on fist-fighting, I still think overall it is the best game.

Fate of Atlantis was 1993, and that has the best story and characters. Being 2D it hasn't really aged quite as badly, at least I don't think so anyway. Despite being older it is actually easier to run FOA these days than IM, due to the wonderful program ScummVM.

DiscoLad

Well, it's more on Aliens in KOTCS than in IM...Like, The story used it more to drive the plot. and relied more heavily on it...