Batman Films

ClintonHammond said:
"the comic book spectrum is less diverse than film or novels"
That says to me you know precious little about the comic book spectrum....

I'd have to agree... Robert Crumb for instance is on an entirely different part of the spectrum than Stan Lee... It's unfair to downplay the significance of comics. While I'm no great expert of the medium by any stretch, there have been some truly wonderful works that are more than just wham-bang action hero affairs.

Eric Solo

ResidentAlien said:
Then explain Crash. Biggest load of **** to ever steal best picture. To hell with the Academy. They're just a bunch of fat Hollywooders nominating based on political agenda rather than true artistic merit. Not that I'd give anyone in Hollywood credit for being able to recognize great art when it slaps them in the face.

Althouh I did enjoy Crash, I do agree with you that the best picture Oscar doesn't necessarily mean much. The English Patient won every award under the sun, but was the most boring piece of crap EVER! IMHO

Now back to the original topic: Bob Kane didn't seem to think Burton's movie was an affront. He liked it.

Last edited:

Eric Solo

ResidentAlien said:
And Stephen King hated Kubrick's The Shining....
One of my favorite movies ever. Wanna see the power of editing? Search youtube for shining trailer. They turned it into a romantic comedy.

Bullwhip

ResidentAlien said:
And Stephen King hated Kubrick's The Shining....

He didn't hate it. He just wasn't into it. Successive viewings of it over the years have really warmed him up to it. It's how most critics deal with Kubrick. They get a real appreciation of his movies only after they've had time to settle in.

AL_Patterson said:
Bob Kane pretty much raped Bill Finger.

Indeed. Finger really got gyped.

oki9Sedo

Eric Solo said:
One of my favorite movies ever. Wanna see the power of editing? Search youtube for shining trailer. They turned it into a romantic comedy.

I've seen that before, its one of the funniest things on youtube!

Katarn07

ResidentAlien said:
I just pulled Batman: Mask of Phantasm out of the closet. Gonna dust off this old VHS and give it a shot here...

I forgot to even mention that. It's the best adaptation of the character on film, second to Begins. If you enjoy it, be sure to pick up the first three seasons of Batman: The Animated Series. I watched them as a kid, but enjoyed them a lot when I got them all a couple of summers ago. Great tv. The fourth season changed animation styles and I recall only two really good episodes.

oki9Sedo

I forgot to mention that Christopher Nolan's Batman universe is so grounded in reality its impossible to imagine the likes of Robin or Catwoman popping up.

Niteshade007

3.jpg

Ok, I finished Batman Forever. As I said before, it is incredibly corny, but I honestly didn't find it unwatchable. Certainly not a film to be taken too seriously. I did find while watching it that there were a lot of homoerotic undertones (crotch shots, butt shots, nipples on the Bat-Suit and Robin's new costume). I would say that it goes back to the old rumor that Batman and Robin were gay lovers, but I 'm not exactly willing to give Joel Schumacher that much credit.

As I said before, Nicole Kidman has never been sexier than she was in this film. Her costumes were the best out of all the previous Bat-girl's costumes, which seemed too 80's/90's. This time they capitalized on that "little black dress" that has become a staple in women's wardrobes, as I don't think she wears anything besides slinky black dresses.

Aside from Nicole Kidman's massive sex appeal, this film had little to offer in terms of dialogue, plot, and acting. It's campy fun, but not one that will be considered a classic years from now.

5/10

1-11.jpg

All of the other Batman films I have bought and watched to make sure I was giving each a fair review, and also to bring back some fond memories. This one I could not bring myself to buy or even rent, because I remember thinking it was so horrible even as a kid, that I could not even consider how bad I must think it would be now. Perhaps if I am bored and find myself with money I just have to spend, then maybe I'll do it, but for now, I think I'll pass.

I am currently watching Batman Begins and getting my review together. I'll be posting probably later tonight.

HovitosKing

The Batman & Robin poster really says it all...Batman as a small side character in a film overpopulated and cluttered with big-name no-talent acting. What...they couldn't find any extra space to squeeze Bane into that busy poster? What a joke that movie was.

Niteshade007

1-12.jpg

Tis one was tough for me to review. On some level, I think that it's the best Batman film. On another, I think that it has some parts where it drags (at least to me), but then I can't really think of anyway that those particular scenes aren't necessary.

For starters, I didn't really care for the beginning. I mean, Bruce Wayne starting off in jail didn't exactly bode well for me. I mean, a billionaire playboy in jail? Especially when in the previous films he's always been so put together, it was odd to see him in such an unkempt manner. However, it worked well for the film and served it's purpose in creating a newer, harder version of Bruce Wayne. I also wasn't particularly thrilled with the ninja scenes. To me, they dragged, but I'm sure most will disagree with me. And again, I think it works for the film and it finally gives us an explanation of a billionaire is so agile and tough.

The Gotham scenes were good, these are the scenes that I really enjoyed. To me, they were much more "Batman-esque" than the Ra's Al Ghul scenes in the beginning were. The film definitely picked up during those scenes.

As far as performances go, I thought that Christian Bale gave a very solid performance. Probably now my favorite actor to play Batman. My only problem is that his face is far to distinct. He has a pointier chin than most men, and that to me would set him apart, making his identity easier to uncover. But, the mask he wears does help with that, as the whole costume has much edgier features.

Morgan Freeman probably gave my second favorite performance of the film. But I love him, and I would go see a movie of him reading the dictionary I love his voice so much. I thought that he certainly added a level of humor to film, and I felt he was well written (well, as well written as a side character could be).

Cillian Murphy is always creepy, and I loved this version of the Scarecrow. I thought he was a better villain than Ra's Al Ghul (sorry if I keep messing his name up). I am curious to see if he will be reappearing in the sequels. I certainly enjoyed his character, but I wonder how he would fit in with the Joker, Two-Face, and any other villain they decide to bring in, as he is really not all that famous.

Michael Cane was a good Alfred, although it is still odd to me to have such a big star as a butler. I don't know, I guess I'm just used to Michael Gough being him. Katie "I'm With Crazy" Holmes I thought gave an ok performance. Not horrible, but not something that I thought was great. I am sort of glad that she is being replaced by Maggie Gyllenhaal, an actress who I like a little more (although I'd still prefer Rachel McAdams, who was supposedly considered for the role).

The only performance I was disappointed with was Gary Oldman's Gordon. His lines were just delivered with too much naivety. I understand his character was an idealistic cop stuck in the real world with crooked cops, but his performance just didn't come across as very real to me.

Overall, I like the world that Nolan had created. I think it's also a very smart move to use villains that the audience had never seen before, instead of instantly rehashing characters like the Joker or Penguin. That way, on the first film, audiences wouldn't be comparing actor's portrayal of a certain villain or (as the case is with the new sequel) refusing to see it because they feel that only a certain actor can play that part. And in case the film was a flop and they never made a sequel, audiences would at least see that Batman did go on to fight the Joker in another fight.

Since I have viewed the film again, I found that it grew on me more than the first time I watched it. I still found things that I didn't care for, but overall I must admit that it was a good, solid film. 8/10.

ClintonHammond said:
"He liked it."
Bully for him...

Now I'm quite disappointed for this thing you said because the cooperation between Burton and Kane in 1989 was truly strong: first of all it was Bob Kane that chose Keaton for the role among many actors like Mel Gibson (who was the first choiche, however he had to refuse because he was working in Lethal Weapon 2), Pierce Brosnan, Alec Baldwin, Charlie Sheen and Tom Sellek.
Second thing, he also recomended Jack Nicholson for the role of the Joker.
Third thing he personally drew the ironic picture given to Alexander Knox (Robert Wuhl) that appears in the Gotham Globe offices in the first sequences.
Fourth thing, but I'll have a dozen of others, if you watch the bonus features of the Batman DVD Special Edition, you'll realize how happy and envolved Kane was in this movie (none forced to make the documentaries around the set).
However, this is my opinion and I don't want to convince you or anyone else that "this" is better than "that". I'm just expressing my disappointing for what you say but Irespect your ideas.

I'm agree if you say that Batman Begins really follows the original script and the comics's story, too bad Bob Kane wasn't alive anymore by the time that Begins was released.

PS: great topic Niteshade!!

Bullwhip

Doctor Jones'89 said:
too bad Bob Kane wasn't alive anymore by the time that Begins was released.

Why? What difference does it make? First, even though Kane held the title of creator he wasn't the only one to come up with Batman and those first few stories. Look up Bill Finger, who got gyped by Kane. Second, most of the stories that define the modern Batman have nothing to do with Kane.

"most of the stories that define the modern Batman have nothing to do with Kane"
+1!

"it was Bob Kane that chose Keaton for the role"
So it was his mistake.

"he also recomended Jack Nicholson for the role"
His mistake again...

"if you watch the bonus features of the Batman DVD Special Edition"
Ya... right.... Like I'm gonna do that....