What is your favorite episodes? Mine would have to be (not in order):

Perils of Cupid - Vienna, 1908
Travels With Father - Russia, 1910
Travels With Father - Athens, 1910
Love's Sweet Song - London, 1916
Trenches of Hell
Demons of Deception - Verdun, 1916
Phantom Train of Doom
Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life - Congo, 1917 (Albert Schweitzer part)
Attack of the Hawkmen - Austria, 1917 (Anthony Fokker part)
Espionage Escapades - Barcelona, 1917

those are my all time favorites... of course I like them all but these are my favorites... I like them all, except these:

Perils of Cupid - Florence, 1908
Demons of Deception - Paris, 1916
Espionage Escapades - Prague, 1917
Hollywood Follies

Flannery10

IndyJr. said:
I like them all, except these:

Perils of Cupid - Florence, 1908
Demons of Deception - Paris, 1916
Espionage Escapades - Prague, 1917
Hollywood Follies

The first 3 you mentioned are not my favorites either, but they really aren't terrible, just not as good as others.

I never understood the bad reputation Hollywood Follies has. True, there are better episodes but in my opinion it's far from being bad!

My favorites are: Curse of the Jackal, London, 1916, British East Africa, 1909, both Oganga episodes, Barcelona, 1917, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, Travels with Father (the original with bookends), Paris, 1908 and China, 1910!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
commontone said:
Really? I am? ;)

Damn. Beat me to it, same phrasing and everything.

To the question, I recall the Fokker segment of Attack of the Hawkman, the Schweitzer segment of Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life, the von Lettow-Vorbeck segment of Phantom Train of Doom, and the Edison/Stratemeyer segment of Spring Break Adventure with some fondness.

IndyJr.

Does anyone have the Austria, 1917 , Barcelona, 1917 and Prague, 1917 for download on YouTube or anywhere?

I have the Volume 2 DVD case, but I need the media file version so I can make a quite funny fan trailer... :p

my idea:

Indy (in Adventures in Secret Service): "This is d*** serious business"

cut to a montage of footage from Barcelona and Prague as Indy struts his stuff on stage (to get the attention of the other spies in Barcelona), Indy dangles from a telephone cable (in Prague), Spanish royal dude looks funnily shocked in Barcelona as he thinks a German is having an affair with his wife... and so on.. I'll add some of the more comical footage in after that Indy quote :p ;)

In no particular order, Treasure of the peacocks eye, Verdun 1916 (Demons of deception) Prague 1917 (Espionage Escapades)(ooo controversial) London 1916, Ireland 1916,(In other words Loves Sweet Song) Mystery of the Blues, Athens 1909,(Travels With Father) The Versaille one, love that, and er.. Oganga of course, the first one with Hemingway.

I feel like if I don't stop I'll simply list all of em... but not a fan of the second part of Tales of Innocence, or the second part of My First Adventure, Tangiers whatever, or how My First Adventure comes across nowadays either, its a pretty weak beginning really, and sort of scuppered any attempts I've made to get people to watch the series.

Adamwankenobi

My favorites are (in no particular order):

"German East Africa, December 1916"
"Congo, January 1917"
"Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal"
"London, May 1916"
"Verdun, September 1916"
"Young Indiana Jones: Travels with Father"
"Benares, January 1910"
"Young Indiana Jones and the Phantom Train of Doom"
"Paris, September 1908"
"Vienna, November 1908"
"Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues"
"Barcelona, May 1917"
"Prague, August 1917"

metalinvader

It seems all of out favorite episodes,for the most part,are the same..(y)

My favs..

"London,May 1916" How could anyone NOT like this episode?!
"Congo,Jan 1917"
'Curse of the Jackal'
'Travels with Father'
'Phantom train of doom'
'Adventures in the secret service'
'Attack of the Hawkmen'
'Peacocks eye'
'Mystery of the blues'

Flannery10

Oh, just realised that: I'm not my favorite episode!;) Would change the title of the thread, if I were you, don't worry, happens to me all the time!

Adamwankenobi

IndySeven said:
"My First Adventure"

I like each half of it individually, but edited together as "My First Adventure", they make me cringe. I've always felt that, after shooting the Tangiers segment in 1996, Lucas should have placed it after the "Journey of Radiance" episodes in order to somewhat accomodate Carrier's age.

Ltdefense

My favorites so far are Spring Break Adventure, Phantom Train, Attack of the Hawkmen, and the episode where he is in London with the suffrage movement (don't recall the title offhand).

I'm seeing these for the first time as they come out on DVD, really enjoying the show! Can't wait for season 3.

metalinvader

Ltdefense said:
My favorites so far are Spring Break Adventure, Phantom Train, Attack of the Hawkmen, and the episode where he is in London with the suffrage movement (don't recall the title offhand).

I'm seeing these for the first time as they come out on DVD, really enjoying the show! Can't wait for season 3.

That would be London 1916,It was paired up with Ireland 1916 to be made into the telemovie 'Loves sweet song'.Fantastic episode,One of the best.

Nice SN btw! Wish I thought of that one for myself! :p

Last edited:

Flannery10

Many episodes are underappreciated in my opinion (well, then again the whole series is underappreciarted by most people), and have a worse reputation than they deserve in my opinion. After having seen all 3 Volumes, I have build up my opinion on which of them are the best

Curse of the Jackal (Great plot and action, just the way a pilot should be)
London (Even though I usually hate love stories, this is a glorious exception)
British East Africa (Some great footage and many great scenes. Favorite Corey Carrier Episode)
German East Africa and Congo (It really doesn't get better than that. Enough said!)
Mystery of the Blues (Some great Jazz scenes and an excellent plot. Oh, and there's Harrison Ford in it, of course.)
Treasure of the Peacock's Eye (Comes very close to the H.F. Indy adventures and is in my opinion the greatest episode of the series)
Travels with Father (In it's original version, it's my third favorite right behind Peacock and Jackal)

Paris (1908), Barcelona and (surprise, surprise) Hollywood Follies are very good, too in my opinion. Paris is just funny and has some good fights, Barcelona is just hillarious and Hollywood Follies just has such a great nostalgic feel about it.

Flannery10

I'm now watching "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" in its entirety again for the first time in about 3 years, and tonight I got to experience the gorgeous tour de force that is London, 1916 once again. I must confess that I had forgotten about some of the finer details of the episode and the incredibly powerful Joel McNeely score that makes the emotional ending even more poignant. Sean Patrick Flanery has a chemistry with the young Liz Hurley that remains unmatched in the series, and I commend the writer Rosemary Anne Sisson for coming up with a script that gets this story that could have very easily drifted into cheesy and overly sentimental sap just right.

I still love Curse of the Jackal as a pilot, but the London episode delivers a punch as a follow up that could not have gotten the show off to a better start.

Duaner

I got out my DVD sets this past summer and rewatched every episode of the series. I have to say that my favorites were: Phantom Train of Doom, Daredevils of the Desert, and Trenches of Hell. Phantom Train of Doom and Daredevils of the Desert both seemed to have the same spirit as the films. Trenches of Hell features some of the best scenes of trench warfare I have seen and then the awesome second half that pays homage to The Great Escape and The Count of Monte Cristo. All these episodes were either written by Frank Darabont or directed by Simon Wincer (or both). It seemed to me that any episodes Wincer and/or Darabont were involved in were better episodes. Those two seemed to understand what makes Indiana Jones good.

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye is great for about two-thirds, but the ending is almost boring to me. I love the Harrison Ford segment of Mystery of the Blues, but that episode was not as good as I remember it being. It's actually pretty hokey.