Synonpsis of rumoured plots

Randy_Flagg

The rumoured plots--
(I found a website that lists rumoured plots and the likelihood of their usage. While I don't necessarily believe the person who created this site knows too much about Indy4, it's interesting to look at some of the possibilities out there.) Here's the list, written as it is on that site, so the comments are not necessarily my opinions as well:

THERE'S A CHANCE

Atlantis - the most heavily rumoured plot for the fourth installment. This, on the other hand has already been covered in the popular LucasArt's 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis' computer game adventure, so maybe the powers that be will try to avoid it so they won't relate.

Noah's Ark - this is another popular plot line. Indy is in a race to get to some sort of item on-board the relic.

More Bible - in an interview with Spielberg, he said Indy IV was going to have more Bible elements. When aksed what, he responded saying, "Something to do with Adam and Eve."

Too Old? - because of Ford's age (don't forget the Last Crusade was filmed almost 10 years ago) some fans believe he is too old to play the part of Indy. Also, to fit the age factor in the film, it could take place after the second World War.

MAYBE

The Power to Destroy - another plot having to do with Atlantis, but this time it's a race to harness the power of the ancient device which was responsible for the destruction of Atlantis.

Garden of Eden - many rumors have stated that Jones is on the search for the Garden of Eden.

Revenge of Belloq - a plot involving Belloq's brother (Belloq, for those of you who don't recall, was the rival archeologist in Raiders of the Lost Ark) trying to get some revenge on Indy.

Oh Brother - one of the oldest rumored plots involes Indy's evil long-lost brother coming back again. Supposedly the brother (rumoured to be called Montana or Conneticut Jones) wants to find the current whereabouts of the Lost Ark.

NOT A CHANCE

Excalibur - a plot having to do with Indy hunting for the sword Excalibur and something to do with the Knights Of The Round Table.

No Indy - an Indiana Jones movie without Ford? Yep, a script has been fishing around Paramount for a Young Indiana Jones movie that would not have Ford, but will have Connery.

Hitler's Goodies - in July of 1999 a "informant" insists that no Indy IV script exists at the moment, but a 12 page treatment that Lucas has in his possession which has Indy employed by the US government to determine the whereabouts of the artifacts recovered and spirited away from Hitler's bunker by the Commies during their raid on Berlin.

Didn't Make It - a summited script a screenwriter at CAA had turned in for consideration. The plot of the script went as followed: It starts off with Indy, working in Egypt, circa 1947, encounters a Mysterious Egyptian at the Great Pyramids. It turns out that he has escaped from Atlantis and needs to prevent the destruction of the Atlanteans. He is to marry the King's Daughter, but his fellow Egyptian has heard of the surface world and wants to raise Atlantis. This second Egyptian is none other than the ancient Pharaoh-God, Ramses. He is now a mummy and plans to Destroy the Atlanteans, who are Alien in Origin, and Raise the Continent through the triggering of a massive Earthquake. Indy finds Atlantis at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, the city was spared because they trapped themselves inside a giant dome. There an Egyptian Minority population still thrives. Indy must choose between the rise of the world's greatest archeological find and the death of the Atlanteans, or to help preserve the marriage of the Egyptian to his Atlantean Love by joining him to defeat Ramses.

John Hughes Anyone - an adventure taking place in a haunted house in which traps are set up all over. Script supposedly written by John Hughes.

Indy vs. Aliens - a genuine, yet failed script titled 'Indiana Jones and the Saucermen from Mars' written by Jeb Stuart. The plot involves an adventure centered around the mythic UFO crash at Roswell, New Mexico back in 1947. It has to do with the alien artifact which continuously changes possession between Indy, Russian baddies, and saucer men. Besides being convoluted and unbelievable, the storyline ends with Indy marrying the lady linguist who accompanied him throughout the adventure. Other cast members include Sallah, Marion, Willie, Short Round, and Henry Jones, Sr.

The Quest - a very old and very dead plot involving the quest for Shangrila.

I Don't think So - a post-World War II recovery of a Nazi Sub, the discovering of some Dead Sea Scrolls, a metatronic (the power of God appearing to take you away physically) device, and another plot involving a rival college professor named 'Professor Conrad'.

THE RUMORED TITLES

MAYBE

Indiana Jones and the Lost Continent - this title is for the plot about the lost city of Atlantis. This is also the most heavily rumoured title.

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Fallen Empire - this title is presumably for the plot about Atlantis. Click here to read the first few pages of the script.

Indiana Jones and the Law of One - this title is for the plot involving the power of the ancient device which was responsible for the destruction of Atlantis.

Indiana Jones and the Forbidden Treasure - this title is for the plot about Noah's Ark.

NOT A CHANCE

Indiana Jones and the Garden of Life - this would be the title for the rumored Garden of Eden plot line.

Indiana Jones and the Red Scare - this title is for the plot line about Indy's search for the whereabouts of the artifacts recovered and spirited away from Hitler's bunker.

Indiana Jones and the Sons of Darkness - this title was the title to the fake Indy IV script that caused problems on the internet a while back. Click here to read the script.

Indiana Jones and the Sword of Arthur - this title is about Indy's hunt for the blade Excalibur. Click here to read the failed script.

Indiana Jones and the Saucermen from Mars - this title has to do with the UFO crash in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947. Click here to read a synopsis of Jeb Stuart's script.

Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Destiny - this would be for the plot about the quest for Shangrila.

[Edited by Randy_Flagg on 11-04-2003 at 10:58 am]

IndyBeck

Oh man, where did you find it? It's the poorest list I've ever read...
And which evidence do they have to estimate each plot's chances?

Randy_Flagg said:

THERE'S A CHANCE

Atlantis - the most heavily rumoured plot for the fourth installment. This, on the other hand has already been covered in the popular LucasArt's 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis' computer game adventure, so maybe the powers that be will try to avoid it so they won't relate.
yawn.....

MAYBE

Revenge of Belloq - a plot involving Belloq's brother (Belloq, for those of you who don't recall, was the rival archeologist in Raiders of the Lost Ark) trying to get some revenge on Indy.

Oh Brother - one of the oldest rumored plots involes Indy's evil long-lost brother coming back again. Supposedly the brother (rumoured to be called Montana or Conneticut Jones) wants to find the current whereabouts of the Lost Ark.
Sorry, but these aren't plots, they are just sub-plots and could (though hopefully won't) be built into any Indy-story.
NOT A CHANCE

Hitler's Goodies - in July of 1999 a "informant" insists that no Indy IV script exists at the moment, but a 12 page treatment that Lucas has in his possession which has Indy employed by the US government to determine the whereabouts of the artifacts recovered and spirited away from Hitler's bunker by the Commies during their raid on Berlin.
That's similar to the thing I've been telling you all the time :)))
The Commies, for promotional reasons, won't be the baddies. The Nazis will be, as in many other 50s and 60s stories (Odessa-File, etc.). So the last sentence isn't going to come, instead we will have Nazis wanting to reinstall the Reich. That story, of course, has a long, grey beard ... but if it has a twist, that's what pulp is about (has anybody ever whined about James Bond always rescueing the western world?). Furthermore the Commies stealing everything is very biased ... the Americans did so as well after WW2 (Paperclip, etc.).
THE RUMORED TITLES
why didn't they include this in the list above? Did they want to write everything twice to bore the reader?
[/QUOTE]

Well, that's just my 2 (Euro-)cents.

Andre

Randy_Flagg

Re: Best New Tread this week!

Renderking Fisk said:
they could have made MOST of these [With the exeption of one I WON'T mention in fear of ruining this topic].

lol!! Yes, Ren, I think we know which you mean.

Anyway, I'll admit some of these ideas are lame, but it gives us something to think about.

My favorites-- Excaliber, Garden of Eden, and Atlantis. None of which will probably get made, sadly.

Randy_Flagg

Excaliber appeals to me for numerous reasons--

1. It's legendary. It's something everyone knows about, and something that we would like to believe could have existed, even if realistically we know it probably didn't.

2. There are thousands of years worth of legends tied into it.

3. It fits the classic Indy mold far better than, say, <cough> aliens <cough>

4. It's artifact that can actually be used as a weapon in a final confrontation.

5. It's not religious, so it's acceptable by everyone, and it's something new for an Indy film.

6. In typically "Indy" fashion, the sword would be taken back by the Lady of The Lake at the end. We all know he never gets the artifact, and this would be a spectacular way for him to lose it.

Randy_Flagg

apalehorse said:
What if Excaliber was the flaming sword that protects Eden?

For a second there, I thought you were using "flaming" as an expletive... then I realized you meant it literally.

Anyway, I don't know about that. I don't know enough about the two legends (Garden of Eden and Excaliber) to say if that would be logical or not. I think each subject in and of itself has enough substance to stand on its own, though, so it may be best not to tie the two legends together or the movie may get out of hand.

So here's a better idea-- How about they make one movie about Excaliber, and then another about the Garden of Eden?
(darn, I knew Lucas would reject that idea... oh well, it was worth a shot.)

Randy_Flagg

Aaron H said:
Two movies being filmed at the same time have been rumored.

Right. After how much trouble they're having coming up with ONE script, the mind boggles to think how long it would take them to come up with TWO!

Marcus Petrius

Ever occured to you that they might make a longer script and cut it in two parts?
I don't think it's happening, but it's a long way to Delhi, anything can happen.

IndyBeck

Marcus Petrius said:
Ever occured to you that they might make a longer script and cut it in two parts?

I just hope they don't, or we get a bastard-movie like Matrix 2&3 or Kill Bill ...

Andre

bob

Erm i may be missing the point but i have seen the opening list of this thread somewhere else and it seems a bit out of date really...

Somehow i dont think the right plot is in there, as there is a reason why it has taken years for another plot to emerge.
To be honest i would only give the Eden/alien plots any sort of credibility

Randy_Flagg

bob said:
Erm i may be missing the point but i have seen the opening list of this thread somewhere else and it seems a bit out of date really...

Somehow i dont think the right plot is in there, as there is a reason why it has taken years for another plot to emerge.
To be honest i would only give the Eden/alien plots any sort of credibility

Yes, the list is old, and I don't think it has much credibility. I just found it on somebody's site, and I posted it here because it pretty much runs through all of the ideas we've been tossing around lately. In other words, I guess it's a way of summarizing a bunch of threads into one.

Randy_Flagg

Renderking Fisk said:
Keep in mind, the list could be just pure crap and for our entertainment only.

I'm quite sure that's exactly what it is. Or, the person who made the site may have THOUGHT it was legit, but it isn't. Either way, does it matter? It's just food for thought, no different from all the other speculation on these boards.