Anyone displeased with humor in KOTCS

Mickiana

I thought Marcus' quips were entertaining and in character and maybe corny, but corny is OK. As for inventive deaths being funny, well, they are. Death is definitely something we can laugh at, but it takes a certain acceptance...

Matthew

Yes I am a little worried, humor in IJ is the least significant aspect that somehow gets a lot of pointless talk.

isaac_z

oki9Sedo said:
That was really awful. Marcus' silly, senile behaviour was not funny at all, it was just annoying.

aw, really? what about "water? oh, no thank you. fish make love in it."

pure ad-libbed (i'm assuming) brilliance!

The_Raiders

I like Marcu's charactor, but I thought he did way better in ROTLA then LC, I think his charactor is better seriouse then funny. ;)

For me, the lowpoint of the trilogy in the humour department was the awful 'Indy falling backwards down the stairs in the castle'. "DAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!" Awful. Unfunny. Unnecessary.
A masterclass in overkill.

David Koepp, pay heed.

xVendetta17x

oki9Sedo said:
Worst attempt at humour of the trilogy: "Well don't you see? The pen, is mightier, than the sword!"

That was really awful. Marcus' silly, senile behaviour was not funny at all, it was just annoying.

We didn't seem him that much in Raiders but what we did showed him as serious and intelligent individual
His depiction in Crusade is more of a caricature

SterankoII

I guess they made Marcus that way to make Henry Sr. the more serious person.

I did laugh at the part where Indy was telling Donovan and the Nazis that they won't be able to find Marcus because he speaks a dozen languages and that he'll blend in and disappear, then they cut immediately to Marcus lost on the crowded train station asking "Does anybody speak English?" Screenwriter Jeffrey Boam also used that gag when he wrote Lethal Weapon 2. When(Murtaugh) Danny Glover was sitting on the toilet and discovers there's a bomb behind it and Riggs(Mel Gibson) goes for help. Because of how embarrasing the situation is, Murtaugh asks to keep this quiet and Mel assures him "quiet". Cut immediately to sirens blaring, hundreds of people outside the house and lots of firetrucks, ambulances and police cars!

Hedwig

Originally Posted by The_Raiders
I remember reading somewhere that Geaorge Lucas said KOTCS will be even more comedic than LC, is any one disapointed with this. I like bits of humor here and ther like in RAIDERS the arab swordsman, and well I'm sure everyone knows all the other stuff. I like LC adn I know I'll like KOTCS, but I am alittle disapointed that it will be somewhat like LC.
Me too. And I'll probably be more disappointed if KOTCS will be more comedic than Last Crusade, because there is a big chance that the humour will be more about obvious gags and jokes. Gags are OK if there aren't too many of them. The humour in Raiders of the Lost Ark was more, uh, "sophisticated". It wasn't about any slapstick jokes or anything like that, for my opinion... I hope that KOTCS won't be so filled with stupid jokes and gags that the entire film becomes to one big joke...

FordFan

herr gruber said:
For me, the lowpoint of the trilogy in the humour department was the awful 'Indy falling backwards down the stairs in the castle'. "DAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!" Awful. Unfunny. Unnecessary.
A masterclass in overkill.

David Koepp, pay heed.

I was just about to say, that bit was awful. Much of Last Crusade's humor came from Indy getting flustered by his father. Sometimes it worked, othertimes it didn't. But you became dependent on it, and you knew that is where the majority of the humor would come from. "11 o'clock! Dad, 11 o'clock!" "What happens at 11:00?" :sick:
With Raiders, anything could happen. I don't see Indy being frustrated by Mutt like he was with Henry Sr., I see it being the opposite with Mutt being out of his element, kind of like Willie Scott without the screaming. More of the "come on, genius", with Indy being the wiser. I just hope they build humor through the action sequences like the first one, as it was most effective.

mapso

I can live with something tonally similar to Last Crusade as far as humor goes, as long as quips like "Damn, I thought was closer" -- as seen in the KOTCS trailer when he hits the front of the truck -- are kept to a minimum.

Fingers crossed that Indy in KOTCS hasn't become like Roger Moore as James Bond, tossing out groan-inducing punchlines every time he kills someone/hits something/does anything.

mapso said:
Fingers crossed that Indy in KOTCS hasn't become like Roger Moore as James Bond, tossing out groan-inducing punchlines every time he kills someone/hits something/does anything.

What? you mean you didn't like the scene in Octopu$$y in which Roger tells a snake to "Hiss Off"?
:eek: