Secret of the Incas (1954)

Stoo

James Byrne said:
I didnt think there WAS any Cold War espionage in SECRET OF THE INCAS myself.
Nice to see you back, James, and I agree with you.:hat: I don't see any 'Cold War epsionage' in the film but maybe I'm just too young to understand whatever implications that reviewer is alluding to. Either that or the guy is a misinterpreting wing-nut.

---
In other semi-related news: "Tokyo Joe", was discussed in this thread a couple of years back and I finally saw it about a month ago. Certain scenes were very much pre-cursors to the look & feel of Indiana Jones! (Images to follow?)

James Byrne

Bogey Jones

Stoo said:
"Tokyo Joe", was discussed in this thread a couple of years back and I finally saw it about a month ago. Certain scenes were very much pre-cursors to the look & feel of Indiana Jones! (Images to follow?)

Its good to be back Stoo. I enjoyed TOKYO JOE and Bogey looked slightly similar to Indy in a few scenes. I look forward to viewing those images. :)

James Byrne

SECRET OF THE INCAS is on TCM on 23 December 2014, you'll be pleased to know.

The Daily Telegraph has put "the" before the title, which always annoys me.

FILM: The Secret of the Incas (1954) - 4.55pm

An intrepid explorer, and his rival race against time in the Peruvian jungles to find a legendary lost treasure in the form of an Inca mask. Adventure, with Charlton Heston, Robert Young, Nicole Maurey and Thomas Mitchell

Cast: Charlton Heston, Glenda Farrell, Grandon Rhodes, Nicole Maurey, Robert Young, Thomas Mitchell, William Henry, Yma Sumac

Director: Jerry Hopper

Rating:

Runtime: 2 hours (starts in 3 days 6 hours 10 minutes)

James Byrne

British TCM only ....

Sorry, it was of course the British TCM.

SECRET OF THE INCAS was broadcast on 22 and 23 December 2014 and will probably get a few more airings in the new year.

James Byrne

It is actually on in the early hours of Wednesday 7 January as well.

My son Daniel invited me for a belated New Year's dinner yesterday, and also to view a couple of programmes that he had recorded for me off Sky television. After a vigourating walk around the enormous Whisby Park with the dog, he put on a documentary he had taped a while back on the Sky ARTS 2 channel, "Discovering Charlton Heston," an excellent tribute to Mr. Epic. It was loaded with clips from his greatest movies, but it didn't mention one movie he made between the two DeMille epics, which really irritated me. Film critics Neil Norman and Derek Malcolm expressed interesting points on Heston's most iconic movies, particularly PLANET OF THE APES, and Wendy Mitchell and "Empire Magazine" editor Ian Nathan discussed Chuck's political activities. I enjoyed this documentary, and if it was ever on sale I would certainly purchase a copy.

After a huge roast dinner my son put on the creme-de-creme, the TCM movie SECRET OF THE INCAS "in High Definition." The introductory voice-over was a bad start though, " .... and now on TCM Charlton Heston and Robert Murray star in SECRET OF THE INCAS." I asked Danny what was the last name just mentioned, and he verified it as "Murray" but I rewound the tape just to make sure, and the announcer definetely said that Robert Murray, or it could be be Robert Maurey, was the co-star!

Watching the movie on a giant tv screen was a treat, but the colour was a bit rich. Daniel always likes to view his taped films on the "movie" mode which is really very high colour - it made Heston look like he had high blood pressure - until I turned it down to the more realistic "standard" mode of colour. There were three lengthy adverts during the TCM transmission, and considering the movie was advertised in some tv magazines as being "High Definition" there was considerable double exposure in some of the location footage of the Quechuan ritual dancing sequences. I always assumed the word "definition" meant "clearness of outline" which unfortunately wasn't the case in the actual Machu Picchu shots. A thin red/green outline surrounded the Quechua dancers, but this only seemed to happen in the real Peruvian footage.

It was great watching the movie with my son on a big tv screen; its turned full circle now because I first saw SECRET OF THE INCAS on a huge cinema screen with my dear old dad at the Regal cinema, Lincoln, in 1963.

AndyLGR

I had never seen or heard of this film until I found your thread and indeed I had to buy a bootleg of the film to see it. Now its all over the TV like a rash! Typical. But joking aside its better to be able to see it in a better quality picture.

James Byrne

Montana Smith said:
While The Raven was on holiday I've been busy downloading old movies and cliffhanger serials.

On my travels through the net I found two places to watch (and download) Secret of Incas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20TAGRElvfE

https://vimeo.com/23331029 (part 1)

https://vimeo.com/23427510 (part 2)

One I see was already noted in the previous post.

The Vimeo one may be higher quality.

No, the Vimeo in two parts isn't a patch on the youtube one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlTaXbx6zNA was also added on 17 March (Heston's wedding anniversary) by duster413, who originally posted seven years ago in 10 parts.

The figures for the original ten-parter posted by duster413 on 9 Dec 2008 vary quite a lot-

Pt 1 - 85,044 views
Pt 2 - 30,527 views
Pt 3 - 24,543 views
Pt 4 - 20,929 views
Pt 5 - 22,518 views
Pt 6 - 18,986 views
Pt 7 - 18,935 views
Pt 8 - 20,169 views
Pt 9 - 22,357 views
Pt 10 - 21,625 views

Montana Smith

James Byrne said:
No, the Vimeo in two parts isn't a patch on the youtube one.

I copied both of them to disc, but can't remember which one I settled on to watch on the TV.

It probably was the Youtube version because, checking the disc, it has a slower frame rate better suited to PAL.

Looking at the 10 parter it's the only one that's 480p.

James Byrne

3 months ago I asked Nexus Verbal where he acquired such a good print of SECRET OF THE INCAS, which is the best I've seen (and I own ten copies of the movie from different sources).

His reply wasn't very informative, though.

Nexus Verbal 3 months ago-

"I am certain you can guess how I acquired the film".

Well, of course, I can guess, but it might not be the correct one, so I'm still none the wiser:confused: !

James Byrne

Just think, before Heston became Harry Steele in SECRET OF THE INCAS, Paramount had cast Wendell Corey in the role. That led me to think of who else could have played Harry Steele in 1953.

Who would have been the best out of Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas or Robert Mitchum?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yma Sumac was the Google Doodle a week back, for her 94th birthday.

yma-sumacs-94th-birthday-5639073181990912.2-hp2x.jpg

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
I just watched this on a plane from Denver to LA last week.
Whoah, Mr. Horse! :eek: This is AMAZING news. Which airline?!? (Couldn't have been Delta.)

P.S. Yma Sumac has grown on me, thanks to James Byrne.