TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #126
|ZiR|
IndyFan

I'm not so crazy about blu-ray/HD. I love the detail for environments and action sequences, but I hate being able to see every flaw, pore, and ounce of makeup on the actors. You're on TV; you're not supposed to look like a normal person.
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #127
The Man
IndyFan

"So, you married Norm, son of a Gunderson..?"
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #128
phantom train
IndyFan

First of all, let me just say that I am a huge fan of DVD's, both of films and TV shows on DVD. The DVD format has truly revolutionized home video viewing, and we are now able to watch films and TV shows in a high-quality format that we never could before. Also, there are many films that were never on VHS that have made their way to DVD. This especially holds true for TV shows - we are now able to watch entire seasons of a TV show on DVD, and many/most of these shows were neveral available on VHS. Also, the picture/sound quality of DVD's are exponentially superior to their VHS counterparts. Plus, from a logistical standpoint, DVD's are much easier to store, are lighter, etc.

And, DVD's are, overall, much cheaper than their VHS counterparts were in their heyday.

That being said, I have seen Blu-ray DVD movies, and though the picture quality is probably better on Blu-ray DVD's when compared to regular DVD's, the difference is not as significant as the one between DVD's and VHS tapes.
Also, something that is critical when comparing Blu-ray DVD's to regular DVD's is the quality of the TV or computer monitor that you are watching the DVD (or Blu-ray DVD) on. I watch DVD's on my CRT computer monitor, and the picture quality is, for the most part, superb. The only times I have a problem is when the picture quality on the DVD itself has not been sufficiently re-mastered (or if the print is too poor to re-master). This is especially notable on older movies (or older TV shows) that were shot on film stock that has degraded, or TV shows that were shot on video - or, when the DVD print transfer was done directly from the VHS tape.

Anyway, I'm not too thrilled at the implication that at some point consumers will be forced to buy a Blu-ray player and Blu-ray DVD's because they will stop making regular DVD's. I for one will stick with my DVD player (and regular DVD's) until forced to do otherwise.

Just my .02....

Last edited by phantom train : 03-06-2009 at 02:01 PM.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #129
The Man
IndyFan

Saviour Every Little Wrinkle...

Old 01-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #130
The Man
IndyFan

Get thee ready to sell a kidney!

Quote:
What will be announced? Special features? A firm release date? An acknowledgment that Han shot first but Lucas doesn’t care? We’ll find out Thursday when Lucasfilm makes their announcement regarding the upcoming set.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #131
The Man
IndyFan

No, you DON'T have to buy the prequels...

Quote:
As anticipated, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment officially announced today the Blu-ray release of Star Wars for September 2011.

Quote:
The studio will release the saga in three distinct sets "to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan: Star Wars: The Complete Saga (a nine-disc set including all six films, priced at $139.99; Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy (a three-disc set including Episodes I-III, priced at $69.99); and Star Wars: Original Trilogy (a three-disc set including Episodes IV-VI, priced at $69.99).
Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #132
Indy's brother
IndyFan

A Sept. 2011 release for SW, with no news of Indy's OT yet. Guess this shoots a 30 year anniversary blu-ray box set for Indy right in the ass. I'm starting to wonder why Lucas gives his other fans (that trash him more) more attention than us. I guess SW is simply the bigger cash-cow. Keep milking it, George. I know you need the money.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #133
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
A Sept. 2011 release for SW, with no news of Indy's OT yet. Guess this shoots a 30 year anniversary blu-ray box set for Indy right in the ass. I'm starting to wonder why Lucas gives his other fans (that trash him more) more attention than us. I guess SW is simply the bigger cash-cow. Keep milking it, George. I know you need the money.

I'll end up buying the full nine-discer. That bastard!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #134
Rocket Surgeon

Screw Bluray and HD, by the time it's released the next format will have evolved and it still wont scratch the best available resolution: 35mm film.

I'd rather see them clean up the original film, reproduce it and put it back in theaters.

For home viewing it's fine, but soon enough the portable disk format will be abolished, (it may remain for back up), and you'll store your digital files on a home server's hard disk.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #135
Pale Horse

I am so behind the times. No more disks? What about tape?
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #136
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Screw Bluray and HD, by the time it's released the next format will have evolved and it still wont scratch the best available resolution: 35mm film.

I'd rather see them clean up the original film, reproduce it and put it back in theaters.

For home viewing it's fine, but soon enough the portable disk format will be abolished, (it may remain for back up), and you'll store your digital files on a home server's hard disk.

They need to start selling 35mm film prints. Ha.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:18 AM   #137
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

What happens when 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray becomes popular and mainstream? Will everyone have to buy the 3D versions of the movies they already have?
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #138
teampunk
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
What happens when 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray becomes popular and mainstream? Will everyone have to buy the 3D versions of the movies they already have?
this will never happen. most people don't want to sit around with 3d glasses on to watch tv.
teampunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #139
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
They need to start selling 35mm film prints. Ha.
Funny you should mention that, some guy from Australia sold a print of Raiders for AU$400 last year.

Wish I had the disposable income others do!

Someday baby, someday...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #140
I.M.J.
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teampunk
this will never happen. most people don't want to sit around with 3d glasses on to watch tv.

People said the same thing years ago in the U.S. when there was a debate about switching to digital and people owning widescreen T.V.s.

3-D is fine - I mean it's not like that by owning a 3-D T.V. that you can't watch 2-d high def!
I.M.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #141
kongisking
IndyFan

I don't know about you, but I'm sick of the Blu-ray promo commercials that play on most DVDs nowadays. As if they need to rub it in even more to the pathetic suckers like me that don't have one...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #142
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
I don't know about you, but I'm sick of the Blu-ray promo commercials that play on most DVDs nowadays. As if they need to rub it in even more to the pathetic suckers like me that don't have one...

You're a sucker? I bought a player when they were fresh on the market. Paid through the ass for it. But...worth every cent. I love the format.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #143
indy34
IndyFan

We've recently got a big screen and bluray player. The best restoration I've seen so far is on the Sean Connery James Bond films and on The Searchers. Although They did a very poor job on Easy Rider.
indy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #144
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teampunk

People won't need glasses to watch 3D in the near future.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #145
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
People won't need glasses to watch 3D in the near future.

You got that right
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #146
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Not gonna lie, but that looks pretty sweet
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #147
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man

Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #148
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:

Just ROTJ then, for hi-res Oola and bikini Leia...
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #149
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Just ROTJ then, for hi-res Oola and bikini Leia...

Carrie on the sail barge. Who could blame Jabba for slobbering?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #150
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Carrie on the sail barge. Who could blame Jabba for slobbering?

Oh yes!

But the sex lives of Hutts are confusing. They merely change sex like slugs to reproduce. It's a horrible thought thinking of Jabba suddenly becoming female and getting broody...

Anyway, Blu-ray would be a must for serious 'research' into moments such as Oola popping out, and Leia almost popping out.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote