Superman: Man of Steel

How should the Superman franchise continue?

• Let Singer's franchise continue

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Let Millar's revamp take place

Votes: 32 52.5%

• Total voters

sandiegojones

Agent Spalko said:
They should have just taken Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum to the big screen since the torch was officially passed to Welling by Chris Reeve. Makes no sense to spend 5 years developing a dedicated fanbase and give the roles to someone else entirely. Talk about a slap in the face to the fans.
No, that show sucks. Singer almost got it right, but like I stated before something really different would get audiences excited. RED SON would be awesome.

No Ticket

Man. Superman Returns was awful. The ONLY good part about it was that scene with the plane crashing... but that's it. It was a stupid plot (really - kryptonite continents to sell to who? ... that "land" was ugly and unusable)

It was dumb to make it a "Sequel in spirit" to Superman 2. That movie is dated now, sorry... plus it's weird to just pretend the others didn't happen. It felt like it was just trying to be the same movies from then all over again without Reeves... but it wasn't as good.

Honestly, Superman was a little needy and creepy... stalker creepy. And the kid thing is really stupid too. Overall, boooooring.

Singer was given SUPERMAN. The man can do ANYTHING and half the movie he is in relationship problems and blah blah blah... then there's a kid....

What I wanted to see is an ACTION film with some seriously cool stuff. Superman can do all KINDS of crazy shiiizit! There could've been armies of robots made by lex that destroy the city and have Superman being thrown through buildings... or I don't know they could've done the Doomsday storyline and had this monster on equal footing with him so that his battles were even more epic.

That's why the plane scene is cool, it uses Superman how he is supposed to be used. The rest... pass. I hated how they just copied the original films.

This franchise needs a REBOOT. A rebirth. Nobody seems to know what the hell to do. That Doomsday animated feature was more interesting than Superman Returns, maybe they should hire those guys to come up with the next live-action Superman.

And Brandon Routh was only OKAY as Superman. I wasn't impressed. I thought he did better as Clark than as Superman... and when I say as Clark I mean as Christopher Reeves as Clark.

... and also.... on more thing.... Smallville sucks and NO... it shouldn't be taken to the big screen. It was okay for a few episodes but it's waaaaaay too cheesy and teen soap-opera lame.

The Man

nezobiwan said:
Why DDL when Terence Stamp is still alive and fabulous? :confused: :p

That could be a hoot...

"I have returned to kill you, Supe - oooh, my back! My back! NOOOOOOOO!"

phantom train

I was a big fan of the Christopher Reeve Superman films (even the 4th one), and was really expecting a lot when "Superman Returns" was released in 2006. Needless to say, I was VERY dissapointed. SR is not the worst film I've ever seen, but it definitely could've been a lot better. The character had so much potential, and having him fight a Lex Luthor who just wanted to have his own "island" (instead of world domination) was weak. There were SO many other stories that they could've done - the Superman character has been around for 50 years, and they could've easily mined the comics to come up with a better film.
The scene with Superman's "child" was fairly ridiculous as well. I don't know that this really added anything positive to the film.
The actress who played Lois Lane was also severely mis-cast. I was expecting someone with a slight edge (like Margot Kidder in the Reeve films), but this Lois was way too soft for the role.

If they do another film, they should ditch the continuity from SR and start from scratch. However, positives of SR that they should keep are:

- The actor who played Superman (Brandon R.) really looked and acted like the Superman from the comics - this was probably the best part of the film. He should definitely return if another film is made.

- The music in the beginning (an homage to the original John Williams Superman music) was also great, and should be kept and played at some point in the film.

As far as ideas for a new film, I have too many to list all of them, but here are some:

- Do a four-hour film adapting "The Death and Life of Superman" (the best Superman comic storyline ever, IMHO) where Superman fights Doomsday, supposedly "dies", and comes back to life. I know this won't happen, but one can dream :) The problem with making this into a film is that there were so many plot-lines in the comic series that having this under four hours wouldn't work that well (I guess three hours might, maybe).

- Have an all-out alien invasion of Earth that Superman has to stop. I know this has been done in the comics.

muttjones

personally i never liked superman.
there has never been as much personal stuff with him as there is with other super heroes like Batman, The Hulk and Spiderman.
I'm not really a fan of the unstoppable superbeing that has one weakness that seems to coicidentally be there to make life hard for him all the time.
Batman is cooler cos he's a detective as well as a superhero. He doesn't always need to save the planet for us to want to watch the films or read the comics.

Now shower me with your disagreeing posts!:p

nezobiwan

muttjones said:
personally i never liked superman...
Now shower me with your disagreeing posts!:p
Frankly, the only reason I care about Superman is because Chris Reeve used to be a major hottie in those days and the first couple of movies are super quotable and fun.

Otherwise, I don't really give a fig. Never read the comics, never watched Smallville or any such nonsense.

Batman has always been a personal fave of mine, whether it's Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, or Christian Bale. Just a good character overall. (God help me forget the Clooney movie though. :sick:)

nezobiwan said:
Batman has always been a personal fave of mine, whether it's Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, or Christian Bale. Just a good character overall. (God help me forget the Clooney movie though. :sick:)
5467.png

|ZiR|

There's only one attractive person in that picture and it's not Clooney or O'Donnell.

Gosh, I can't believe that was almost Christian Bale! Talk about dodging a bullet.

Mind, though, I think that's why Bale's so against Robin in the new franchise; he's still bitter about losing out on the role.

Agent Z

So, it was Spalko commandeering the AT-AT Walker, eh?

Silly how it all came together like that....heheh

RaideroftheArk

agentsands77 said:
I honestly think they should go the INCREDIBLE HULK route and do a "sequel to a film that never existed," take the core concept of ALL-STAR SUPERMAN and run with it. You could get a hell of a film out of that.

At this point, I think I agree... If they do another one, I would hate to see another origin story...we all know that Krypton Exploded...we all know how he got here...Smallville kind of takes care of what happens in between.

Just make a god darn SUPERMAN movie...NO KID...NO LEX WANTING "LAND" as he did in the previous movies....Have Lois and Superman actually GET TOGETHER and stay that way....and for crying out loud...just throw us some kind of intersteller being that has come to destroy the Earth that Superman needs to face....anyone...I don't care...Doomsday...Darkseid....something that will make Superman bleed and get roughed up...but in the end triumphs because he's Superman.

Superman Returns started out strong...and just fell apart as the movie carried on, Brandon Routh was great, that was about it....if they have to, use the good parts of the begining of the movie, but for the most part give us a good action flick.

TheMutt92

Some new stuff from Millar:

Mark Millar Talks More Superman
Source: Den of Geek
July 21, 2008

Den of Greek tells us they interviewed Mark Millar and asked more questions about his proposed "Superman" revamp that they will pitch to Warner Bros. Pictures if Bryan Singer wouldn't do a Superman Returns follow-up:

We've just done a new interview with Mark Millar and asked him all about Superman. the link is here:

Among the things he says:

* Everything he's done is building up to a Superman film
* His position regarding Bryan Singer
* How reverent he'd be to the Donner version

Hope it's of interest!

Don't have the link. Its on superherohype though.

No Ticket

Superman could be such an awesome movie. I don't understand how Singer f'd it up last time.

I'd really rather someone else give it a try.

The Man

No Ticket said:
Superman could be such an awesome movie. I don't understand how Singer f'd it up last time.

I'd really rather someone else give it a try.

The story for Returns was pretty lousy. Nothing we hadn't seen before...