Star Wars: The Force Awakens

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
More like a drama queen.

Okay, the wording was too snappish. Sorry. Was having a rough night. I actually agree with you, oddly enough. I think I just misread the tone as dismissive/derogatory. Can never quite tell with you, Smiffy.

I'm completely with you that the Empire totally dying out overnight is outrageous. It was okay for ROTJ, since it was meant at the time to be the end, and you could suspend disbelief purely to indulge in the high of Palpatine's death and Vader's redemption---it still works as a rousing, emotional victory for the forces of good. But now that we're getting more...it is the smartest decision to have the Empire still limping on in some fractured form.

Even when WWII was well over and Hitler was dead and gone...we still had neo-Nazis around. Thank goodness they just haven't found any magic artifacts to wage another war and return to dominance. :p

kongisking

featofstrength said:
God forbid they go totally original...

They have to toe a near-impossible line here.

The Star Wars fandom has become like a fanatical religion unto itself. Go too different, they moan about 'I just want my pwecious nostalgia!' But go too old-school, and people moan, 'this movie is unoriginal tripe for ripping off Spock's death in Wrath of Khan!'

I like to hope that Abrams learned from the huge negativity toward Into Darkness by fans in that regard. I think it is entirely okay to try re-creating something of an OT dynamic, to try and win back those disillusioned by the prequels...but not literally beat-for-beat recreate the plot of those movies.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
I actually agree with you, oddly enough.

I just fell off my chair! :D

kongisking said:
I'm completely with you that the Empire totally dying out overnight is outrageous. It was okay for ROTJ, since it was meant at the time to be the end, and you could suspend disbelief purely to indulge in the high of Palpatine's death and Vader's redemption---it still works as a rousing, emotional victory for the forces of good.

Yes, ROTJ was the end of a story told in the style that inspired it. Winning the war was a necessary resolution. Just as marriage was sometimes a resolution for the hero and his squeeze in the last episode of a chapter play (see also KOTCS).

Yet it wasn't meant to be the end of the complete story as far as Lucas was concerned. So it makes sense, especially in today's cynical world grown accustomed to wars that aren't easily (or ever) won, to see the return of the big bad. Sure, there are plenty of planets and plenty of possible menaces in the Star Wars universe, but the Empire is still such a rich and familiar source to tap into. Particularly for the first in the new trilogy which had to pick up and deal with the repercussions of the end of ROTJ in some form or another.

The rumours leaked so far give me a sense of classic Star Wars, far more than the Prequels left me with. The old cast will help to establish the new trilogy and show the way to the future.

Forbidden Eye

It's taken me a while but seeing the storm-trooper concept art as well as Ford's costume designs have finally lifted my feelings of new Star Wars films coming out from "neutral" to "excited".

Hopefully the anticipation isn't met with disappointment.

Stoo

kongisking said:
I'm completely with you that the Empire totally dying out overnight is outrageous. It was okay for ROTJ, since it was meant at the time to be the end,...
No. "Return of the Jedi" was never meant to be the absolute end. I knew about the 9 chapter thing way back in '79, when "Star Wars" was being re-titled as "A New Hope".:sick: 1-3 was always meant to be the rise of the Empire and 7-9 was reserved for its downfall. It's always been planned that way.

I've been waiting for #7 since 1979. That Germain Lussier blogger is a complete idiot.:rolleyes:

kongisking

Stoo said:
No. "Return of the Jedi" was never meant to be the absolute end. I knew about the 9 chapter thing way back in '79, when "Star Wars" was being re-titled as "A New Hope".:sick: 1-3 was always meant to be the rise of the Empire and 7-9 was reserved for its downfall. It's always been planned that way.

I've been waiting for #7 since 1979. That Germain Lussier blogger is a complete idiot.:rolleyes:

In my defense, there is a ton of conflicting information about this out there. Lucas himself kept changing his supposed 'master plan' constantly over the years, from what I've read.

And anyhow, the later cuts of ROTJ go out of their way to give the impression that Vader and Palptatine's death is the end of the Empire, sense be darned. And I was okay with it, because if Lucas' new idea was to have it be the proper end to his saga, then...okay, sure, fine, let us have that happy ending. But now with these new films, I'd like them to explore the Empire not being dead quite yet, that they're still around, causing trouble for the growing New Republic. That's all I meant.

Stoo said:

George has always been full of **** as far as intentions vs how much he has actually planned out goes.

Stoo

kongisking said:
In my defense, there is a ton of conflicting information about this out there. Lucas himself kept changing his supposed 'master plan' constantly over the years, from what I've read.

And anyhow, the later cuts of ROTJ go out of their way to give the impression that Vader and Palptatine's death is the end of the Empire, sense be darned. And I was okay with it, because if Lucas' new idea was to have it be the proper end to his saga, then...okay, sure, fine, let us have that happy ending. But now with these new films, I'd like them to explore the Empire not being dead quite yet, that they're still around, causing trouble for the growing New Republic. That's all I meant.
When you wrote, "at the time", I assumed that you meant 1983 when "Return of the Jedi" was released. Lucas' plan for 9 stories was indeed on the table back in the '80s (with chapters 1-3 being the last to be filmed). Guess I should have made it more clear that I was referring to your "at the time" remark and not the period of the Special Editions in the '90s.
featofstrength said:
George has always been full of **** as far as intentions vs how much he has actually planned out goes.
Well, the guy is allowed to change his mind (otherwise the entire saga would still be called, "Journal of the Whills"). One of his intentions that I hope to see fulfilled is R2 & 3P0 being the only characters to appear in every chapter.
Pale Horse said:
The irony of lamenting the fact that a movie is being spoiled, while reporting on the spoils is almost too much to bear.
Too right. Paraphrasing Indy: "Bloggers. I hate these guys.":gun:

kongisking

Stoo said:
One of his intentions that I hope to see fulfilled is R2 & 3P0 being the only characters to appear in every chapter.

Agreed. We know they're at least back in VII, but I love the idea of these two goofy droids really being the connective tissue of an entire epic saga.

Stoo said:
Well, the guy is allowed to change his mind (otherwise the entire saga would still be called, "Journal of the Whills").

I believe that's called compromise...something he hasn't had to do since the early 80s. And as the prequels indicate, SW is crap without a challenge every now and then.

Montana Smith

jsarino said:
^^^What's the Nolan Batmobile doing underneath the Falcon?! The details on the Falcon look great!

Must be that new Boba Fett spin-off movie.

BatmanandBobaFett.jpg

;)

Dr. Gonzo

I hear/read a lot of stuff about upcoming films. Occupational hazard.
It never bothered me to read a script or find out about spoilers because to me its like a learning experience. Seeing the words on the page before they are filmed is VERY interesting -- And doing this doesn't ruin the film for me -- I believe its not just the story, but how the story is actually presented/translated to film that makes a film worth watching...

But having said that, last night I learned something about the new "Star Wars VII" which I would have rather left unknown. And it should be considered the biggest of possible spoilers.
Possibly eclipses the "No, I am your father" moment...

Some film sites are reporting it, some are not (because even they feel its even too much of a spoiler) Heres an example of one who will not report it and makes the case AGAINST reporting it http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-7-spoilers/

My whole point is, even for spoiler people like myself, I implore you NOT to read it. Once you read it, you cant un-read it.

And I know its human instinct to DO something when something/someone says DO NOT... because thats why I found out.

So just warning you, look away from headlines on google or whatever sites... because if true it will certainly spoil everything.

Lance Quazar

Dr. Gonzo said:
I hear/read a lot of stuff about upcoming films. Occupational hazard.
It never bothered me to read a script or find out about spoilers because to me its like a learning experience. Seeing the words on the page before they are filmed is VERY interesting -- And doing this doesn't ruin the film for me -- I believe its not just the story, but how the story is actually presented/translated to film that makes a film worth watching...

But having said that, last night I learned something about the new "Star Wars VII" which I would have rather left unknown. And it should be considered the biggest of possible spoilers.
Possibly eclipses the "No, I am your father" moment...

Some film sites are reporting it, some are not (because even they feel its even too much of a spoiler) Heres an example of one who will not report it and makes the case AGAINST reporting it http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-7-spoilers/

My whole point is, even for spoiler people like myself, I implore you NOT to read it. Once you read it, you cant un-read it.

And I know its human instinct to DO something when something/someone says DO NOT... because thats why I found out.

So just warning you, look away from headlines on google or whatever sites... because if true it will certainly spoil everything.

I've read things about there being a "MASSIVE" spoiler out there.

While I certainly ascribe to the short-sighted "wet paint" philosophy where I'm seriously tempted to see it anyway, I am going to resist the urge.

However, if this is really true and is such a massive spoiler, I just can't imagine how it won't be all over the place. The movie is fourteen months away from release. There's no way this won't be everywhere by then.

Forbidden Eye

I'll take your word for it Dr. Gonzo and not bother reading it. Honestly I try not to read too much about movies as I am always hoping to be surprised, which is getting harder to do in our day of age.

Still, comparing this "spoiler" to the twist of Darth Vader being Luke's father is a high high standard. I'd be impressed if it matched the "twist" of Luke and Leia being twins.