It's May 1st, where are the Indy toys?

Gobi-1

I was only able to go to one Walmart today after college classes and they didn't have anything. Absolutely nothing.

I'll try another store tomorrow.

Agent Z

I checked Wal-Mart again today and they had a few Indy items, BUT they were on this back shelf and without price markers, so maybe this May 5th date is a guideline for the stores? Later today, Jimmy Carter will be at our Wal-Mart, promoting a new book. I hope he *****es about the lack of Indy toys while he's there...

Even when Wal-Mart does start selling the new Indy stuff, I have a feeling they aren't going to have much of a selection to begin with. That leaves Target as my last main hope. We have a K-Mart, but damn it's far away and ghetto as hell.

There is a TRU which I may swing by later next week, but it's less than encouraging to hear that they are charging extra for the Lego sets.

EDIT: I just went to the official Lego store, and they now have the KOTCS sets at what appear to be about as low as one will find them brand new. :whip:

JayDee

No luck either here in Germany, too.. And no one could give me any infos about when they gonna get this items -.-

phantom train

First, I wanted to say that anyone who went out yesterday, 5/01 (the "official" release date of the IJ toys) and found all or most of these new IJ toys was very fortunate.

After work yesterday (around 5:00pm), I went to TRU and found an extremely small section of IJ toys - the only things they had were the Cargo Truck, the IJ Deluxe figure Pit trap (with the snakes), and the Deluxe German on motorcyle - I got all three, and am lucky I found even those. They had no regular figures, no 12" figures, no other Deluxe figures, and no other vehicles. The only things left were some Legos and Adventure heroes. I suspect they had gotten more items in earlier, but they probably sold out fast.

I then went to Wal-mart, and they had zilch. I looked all through the toy aisles and not only did I not see any IJ toys, I saw no indication that they were making room for them either.
I asked an employee in the toy section about them - he was polite, but confirmed they had no IJ toys at all and didn't seem to know when (or if) they would get them in.

I didn't bother to go to Target, since from what I've read on this board many of them aren't "offically" putting out these toys until later this weekend.

Anyway, I was very dissapointed. The distribution of these figures is very, very poor, considering that they're promoting a huge big budget summer film. Hopefully they'll be more plentiful later.

I'm also a collector of SW figures, and in thinking back to the release dates of TPM, AOTC, and ROTS figures back in 1999, 2002, and 2005, they had so many figures at that time that they were almost literally spilling off the pegs, even weeks after the films were out. Conversely, the figures for this IJ film are very scarce. Obviously, IJ is not nearly as big as SW, but the stores should still have ordered more of these IJ toys.
I am of the opinion that all of the other movie toys from the blockbuster 2008 summer movies like "Prince Caspian", "Hulk", "The Dark Knight", "Speed Racer" and "Iron Man" are dominating the toy aisles to the detriment of these IJ figures, which definitely had the least amount of shelf space in the stores I've seen so far.

Last edited:

tnswman

Way of the dodo said:
I went to a Toysrus and asked if they had them, and the schmuck gets annoyed and says "uh, they might be in back but we haven't put them out." I just left. I'm not gonna ask for the privilege. Then I found Indy with Ark at Target, and that was the main thing I wanted until a really good "standard Indy" comes out.

Until a good standard Indy comes along???? Man, You have NO idea what you are missing with the KOTCS standard Indy.

tnswman

RichardJones said:
I hear you man, I am glad now that I pre-order a few, At first I wanted the trill of the hunt , but I worried something like this would happen, so I pre-order, Still got some stuff coming from the SHOP :whip:

well as anyone can see from my collection of Indy stuff, I tend to slightly have no control LOL!

I am so shocked that so many towns have NOTHING out yet. In the 5 towns surrounding me, EVERY store has Indy stuff out ( WM, Target, TRU, K-Marts )

This is Nutty.

tnswman

drwynn said:
I guess it does sort of make sense for Target to wait...I mean, if they put stuff out in a few weeks, it'll be even CLOSER to the time the film comes out...and awareness and anticipation will be even higher than it is right now.

LOL! you also forget that Stores are already selling out NOW and Target is missing out on MAJOR sales.....The Post Movie re-stocks will be massive and Target will have EVEN more items to clog the shelves.

It is not good business to allow ALL of your competition to be selling items that you have in stock too....reason will tell you that the CUSTOMERS will go to where the stock is..Most will try their Favorite store 1st but will end up going WHEREVER and paying a higher price if need be.

When K-Marts are selling out and Targets are refusing to stock the SAME product that K-mart just sold out of....That's a Bad problem.

The last time Target did this with Star Wars, It backfired and the Majority of their stock went to clearance while Wal-Mart and TRU kept fresh stock coming.

Arab Swordsman

phantom train said:
First, I wanted to say that anyone who went out yesterday, 5/01 (the "official" release date of the IJ toys) and found all or most of these new IJ toys was very fortunate.

After work yesterday (around 5:00pm), I went to TRU and found an extremely small section of IJ toys - the only things they had were the Cargo Truck, the IJ Deluxe figure Pit trap (with the snakes), and the Deluxe German on motorcyle - I got all three, and am lucky I found even those. They had no regular figures, no 12" figures, no other Deluxe figures, and no other vehicles. The only things left were some Legos and Adventure heroes. I suspect they had gotten more items in earlier, but they probably sold out fast.

I then went to Wal-mart, and they had zilch. I looked all through the toy aisles and not only did I not see any IJ toys, I saw no indication that they were making room for them either.
I asked an employee in the toy section about them - he was polite, but confirmed they had no IJ toys at all and didn't seem to know when (or if) they would get them in.

I didn't bother to go to Target, since from what I've read on this board many of them aren't "offically" putting out these toys until later this weekend.

Anyway, I was very dissapointed. The distribution of these figures is very, very poor, considering that they're promoting a huge big budget summer film. Hopefully they'll be more plentiful later.

I'm also a collector of SW figures, and in thinking back to the release dates of TPM, AOTC, and ROTS figures back in 1999, 2002, and 2005, they had so many figures at that time that they were almost literally spilling off the pegs, even weeks after the films were out. Conversely, the figures for this IJ film are very scarce. Obviously, IJ is not nearly as big as SW, but the stores should still have ordered more of these IJ toys.
I am of the opinion that all of the other movie toys from the blockbuster 2008 summer movies like "Prince Caspian", "Hulk", "The Dark Knight", "Speed Racer" and "Iron Man" are dominating the toy aisles to the detriment of these IJ figures, which definitely had the least amount of shelf space in the stores I've seen so far.

Sorry to see you didn't get anything. I went to my Super Wal Mart at midnight on the 1st and they had tons of stuff. They were putting out the Batman and Hulk stuff too but they had enough Indy stuff that I could have bought at least two of everything except the vehicles. They had 6 cases of figures, 6 cases of AH (all Raiders ones but still a ton), 2 cases of 12", 2 cases of Taters, 1 case of the Akator game, 1 case of the whip, and 4 cases of deluxe figures.

I then went to Toys R Us the next day and while they only had a small endcap display at the front of the store they did have the KOTCS Adventure Heroes so I snagged them. They did have a nice selection of standard figures
but a weak display of deluxe figures. Target and K-Mart didn't have anything out and I'm guessing the Wal-Mart I went to wouldn't have had anything out either because it took them an hour to find the skid in the back that had all the Indy stuff on it and bring it out on the floor. They weren't planning on finding it either until I asked about it.

Hopefully you'll get lucky and find something. My guess is that almost all the Wal-Marts have the figures but they might have gotten them so early like mine did that they just shoved the pallet in the back somewhere and don't know where it is.

tnswman

ChromiumBlue37 said:
My condolences to everyone ought there who went on the hunt and came up up empty handed. Wal-Mart stores had very little of anything!

The Chicago suburbs were well stocked. This morning I hit 3 Wal-Mart Supercenters - nothing. All I could see were half-empty pegs with INVENTORY/Planogram tags all over the place. Maybe that is what is up with Wal-Mart. Meijer stores had zip. Target on the other hand was an entirely different story.
Upon my arrival at 7:55 AM, there was no crowd or line. I walked right in and turned into the familiar action figure aisle. There were clean pegs and a cart filled with sealed boxes just WAITING for me. The Latin stock lady was so friendly and accomodating. I even helped her stock, as I cherry-picked what I wanted. She was so cute and patient, but she just could not get over the $7.49 pricepoint. Thanks to buddy, Jimmy, I had some $5 off Target toy coupons.

After that, I hit one more Target. Later, I found what I was lacking at TRU when they opened! The first thing I noticed was the four-way shelving fixture right by the returns desk. It was packed and beautiful. So, I took a couple of shots with my digital camera. The manager came over and told me that was not allowed. I filled a shopping cart anyway. Was so elated to see the Arabian Horse and German with motorcycle. The Pitfall Trap is the perfect mini-playset! I also have a problem with German Soldiers - I LOVE them. 2 packs, singled-carded. Doesn't matter. Looks like I went ballistic trying to create a mini German Army. Those little goose-steppers are like a new drug! Well today, I definately got my fix!

To everyone who is worried and frantic - don't be. My opinion is that there will be more than enough for us all. During the course of this one day, I witness a LOT of interest from collectors, a few kids and parents. It was a fine day for me. One I have not enjoyed since I bought my original Kenner IJ toys back in the toy department at Montgomery Ward the day after Christmas 1982. Indiana Jones is BACK! :whip:

Ohhh yes.. Another Montgomery Ward Indy Child LOL!! That started my passion. I saw a TON of kids and people OLDER than me ( I'm 33 ) buying up EVERYTHING Indy.. It is for sure NOT the Star Wars crowd LOL!

Even though I have had almost Everything Early ( with my 1st Indy figures coming in Feb ), I could NOT wait to get more items.

I am addicted to the Germans too...I have about 18 now LOL! I will buy about 15-20 UGHA Warriors probably... That figure is AMAZING!!

I have my Cemetary Warriors set up to attack Indy and Mutt in my Cemetary Diorama that you can see in the New Aquisitions thread.

I feel like it is 1982 again.....It's PERFECT!!

tnswman

MISSOURI JONES said:
i was lucky, i had a friend that stocks the toys at my walmart so i just told hr would you please go look.
and dhe did. i scored all but the spalco, rusian colonal and ugma warror.
i got an extra indy4 indy with the bazzoka and swapped heads with that stupid raders whip action indy. i had to cut the socket and glue the head but it turned out great.
now i have to finish my vintage indy collection.:D

Man!! You should have looked at my pictures on How to switch the heads without Cutting and Gluing and maintain the working neck.

go to the New Aquisitions thread and look back several pages to last week-end and you can see the two Indy's with switched heads on the two KOTCS Bodies.

Katarn07

My Wal-Mart's still don't have them out and refuse to sell them to me because of this dumb May 5th crap. Here's what really gets to me: The first people said that the stock girl would be back later and probably have it out. I came back that night, and the stock girl on duty said that she was going to do it right then and there and they'd be there tomorrow. I got there at 7:00 am. Were they there? No. :mad:

Hey, tnswman, you'd be proud of me. I had to speak to the managers, and after getting an hour of sleep, I wasn't the nicest of customers. But did it get me anywhere? No. They called other Wal-Marts in the area and they claim they said the same thing. I'm pissed now. I'll check out TRU later and maybe Sears/K-Mart but I wanted to be there when they were first put out so I didn't miss anything....

tnswman

Katarn07 said:
My Wal-Mart's still don't have them out and refuse to sell them to me because of this dumb May 5th crap. Here's what really gets to me: The first people said that the stock girl would be back later and probably have it out. I came back that night, and the stock girl on duty said that she was going to do it right then and there and they'd be there tomorrow. I got there at 7:00 am. Were they there? No. :mad:

Hey, tnswman, you'd be proud of me. I had to speak to the managers, and after getting an hour of sleep, I wasn't the nicest of customers. But did it get me anywhere? No. They called other Wal-Marts in the area and they claim they said the same thing. I'm pissed now. I'll check out TRU later and maybe Sears/K-Mart but I wanted to be there when they were first put out so I didn't miss anything....

Hey, I like Proving that I am right.. I would tell the MANAGER on duty to bring out a case of figures and If if say's may 5th on it, you will walk away with an apology..If it say's May 1st, Either they will sell it, or you will call the District Manager and tell them how you were LIED to.

I am all about retail stores getting back to treating the customer like King....When you find these at TRU..Wal-Mart just lost your business..It's STUPID of them.

I wish I could help you man...would I embarrass you while we were there? HECK YEA..But you would get the figures :)

FETT1

..TRY BEING A TOY COLLECTOR IN CANADA..ugh!!..

read over at SNOWTROOPERS.CA...a cashier thought the paint sculpt on INDY looked like DON KNOTTS....HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DON KNOTTS....NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!!

OK,being somewhat of a follower of TOY COMPANIES ,I must agree with many here that the distribution of this product is very very poor...
So where does this stem from,Well after contacting HASBRO(HASBUTT)CANADA,I was told that all major retailer's will be carrying the INDY lines(like we haven't heard this before--hense :STAR WARS,JOE,etc)...but it really intrigues me that most hot toy lines have a early or on date release ...this line seems to be a mystery even @ store level..
And as written here in previous posts ,many of you are finding item's priced differently.
I found that 2 TRU had different pricing on their DLX FIGS!...Of course I took advantage of the 9,99 versus the 16.99 price sticker!
Yes,what the h#ll happened to the the paint ops in this line...Maybe HASBRO out sourced to a different vendor in CHINA to keep costs down???I agree...I did buy most ...but the paint ops are very bad..and being artsy fartsy I'm a stickler to detail!
I have not seen any NEW KOTCS figures or a 12"GERMAN SOLDIER(maybe a second wave release)...Are there any GERMAN 12" SOLDIER'S outt there PLEASE POST..THXS. Once again ,the positives are the packaging ...especially the VEHICLE asst.AWESOME work here!...PLUS the ADVENTURE HEROES are cool...but anything like this always is!...
The role play whip is way over priced...
Lastly,as stated in LEE'S TOY REVIEW ...this line will be targeted @ collector's more than kids...try telling this to my 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER!...

Sorry for the long write ...ahhhh that felt good!...
next ...

FETT1...OUTT!!!:whip:

I think I figured outt why INDY has this paint op on his face ...it kinda look's like what HARRISON FORD will be doing once he receive's his royality cheque from HASBUTT!...haeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaeee...

drwynn

tnswman said:
LOL! you also forget that Stores are already selling out NOW and Target is missing out on MAJOR sales.....The Post Movie re-stocks will be massive and Target will have EVEN more items to clog the shelves.

It is not good business to allow ALL of your competition to be selling items that you have in stock too....reason will tell you that the CUSTOMERS will go to where the stock is..Most will try their Favorite store 1st but will end up going WHEREVER and paying a higher price if need be. When K-Marts are selling out and Targets are refusing to stock the SAME product that K-mart just sold out of....That's a Bad problem. The last time Target did this with Star Wars, It backfired and the Majority of their stock went to clearance while Wal-Mart and TRU kept fresh stock coming.

Uhh...please bear in mind that I was not attempting to defend Target or their unwillingness to stock the shelvs with Indy merchandise. I was only trying to come up with sort of reasonable theory as to WHY they're not stocking the merch.

Obviously, my first theory was full of holes...but, then again, so is Target's decision not to tock the shelved with Indy merch.

snake_surprise

Got back from three Walmarts.

The two super Walmarts had nothing. The old Walmart had a little display in the middle of the aisles. Nothing really good was left.

I guess the May 5th theory is correct with the newer/super Walmarts.

Arab Swordsman

snake_surprise said:
Got back from three Walmarts.

The two super Walmarts had nothing. The old Walmart had a little display in the middle of the aisles. Nothing really good was left.

I guess the May 5th theory is correct with the newer/super Walmarts.

I got all mine at a Super Wal Mart and there was no mention about the May 5th date. If your Wal Mart is open 24 hours you might want to stop back after 9 at night. That's when they start to bring stock out onto the floor to do the overnight restocking and you normally can talk to someone who specifically deals with the toys.

My theory is that each store is just putting them out when they get to it or remember to. As far as I know their only stipulation is that they can't sell it before the 1st and that it doesn't matter when they put it out after that. I'm not sure Hasbro is enforcing the stores to put out the items as much as they were them just not putting it out early. If you have a crappy Wal Mart who doesn't know what's going on they could just be putting out the stock as they find it in the back. They might be re-doing the toy section on May 5th but I agree with TNSWMAN; if they have the product and it's after May 1st they should be willing to get it out for you to sell.

Customer service has really taken a dump in the last 10 years. I remember working in retail and the customer was ALWAYS right. With the way the economy is and the stimulus checks meant to encourage spending you would think these stores would want to generate sales by putting this stuff out. If you buy 1 of all the basic figures, Adventure Heroes, Deluxe figures, and each vehicle your looking at over 300 bucks. I cannot see how a store would not want to get these sales by holding merchandise in the back after the date listed on the box, espcially when a customer comes in asking for it.

snake_surprise

Arab Swordsman said:
I got all mine at a Super Wal Mart and there was no mention about the May 5th date.

All good points.

I bet some of these super Walmarts like mine are similar to others around the country in that there are tons and tons of items in the back room, and since they sell everything under the sun and the money pours in by the second, they are not in a rush to put these things out. People will buy their stuff when they get around to putting it out. Some have gotten around to putting these out, some have not. Not a big deal to them, obviously...probably the same issue with the latest garden hose, hamster chips, etc...

The smaller/trashier Walmart is probably more eager in their plight to get stuff on the shelves instead of just sitting in storage in the back, because of profit margin, etc.

Still, it is strange that some stores with the same name have them, others do not. Usually these big chains purposefully and blatantly put stuff out simultaneously not matter what the product so each of their stores are almost identical in terms of product on shelves, layout, end caps, etc...especially to coincide with Sunday inserts in the paper.

Anyway, I digress...

bonoferox

Yeah for some reason the WalMarts and Targets I've seen them at were in the ghetto where the nicer ones have nothing out and who knows when they will...

tnswman

drwynn said:
Uhh...please bear in mind that I was not attempting to defend Target or their unwillingness to stock the shelvs with Indy merchandise. I was only trying to come up with sort of reasonable theory as to WHY they're not stocking the merch.

Obviously, my first theory was full of holes...but, then again, so is Target's decision not to tock the shelved with Indy merch.

Well, I TOTALLY get why people defend their favorite stores...I just do not like target's Anti Customer Service....I mean, I was lied to point blank to my face by a manager.

the other stores (Including K-Mart) have had EVERYTHING I was looking for. So, I decided I do not need them....But I get why others do.

tnswman

Arab Swordsman said:
I got all mine at a Super Wal Mart and there was no mention about the May 5th date. If your Wal Mart is open 24 hours you might want to stop back after 9 at night. That's when they start to bring stock out onto the floor to do the overnight restocking and you normally can talk to someone who specifically deals with the toys.

My theory is that each store is just putting them out when they get to it or remember to. As far as I know their only stipulation is that they can't sell it before the 1st and that it doesn't matter when they put it out after that. I'm not sure Hasbro is enforcing the stores to put out the items as much as they were them just not putting it out early. If you have a crappy Wal Mart who doesn't know what's going on they could just be putting out the stock as they find it in the back. They might be re-doing the toy section on May 5th but I agree with TNSWMAN; if they have the product and it's after May 1st they should be willing to get it out for you to sell.

Customer service has really taken a dump in the last 10 years. I remember working in retail and the customer was ALWAYS right. With the way the economy is and the stimulus checks meant to encourage spending you would think these stores would want to generate sales by putting this stuff out. If you buy 1 of all the basic figures, Adventure Heroes, Deluxe figures, and each vehicle your looking at over 300 bucks. I cannot see how a store would not want to get these sales by holding merchandise in the back after the date listed on the box, espcially when a customer comes in asking for it.

Exactly....In the situation of a product like this where EVERY retailer is getting the same product, They need to FIGHT for our money....Now, I NEVER get upset with Hourly employees..I just ask to see a manager...Maybe It ALWAYS works because I make sure I know what I'm talking about....I would not try to get the figures early from a manager though.. Leave that to the Stock people and pad their pockets if you must LOL!